test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Inertial Dampening Field

joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
Is it worth taking? Am I just not seeing it's benefits? I'm only level 21 right now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Is it worth taking? Am I just not seeing it's benefits? I'm only level 21 right now.

For most builds, and imo, not worth it. You can only have one toggle (which includes IDF). Toggles that boost damage are a better addition to most builds than one which reduces damage by a small amount. Better to have a heal power or even a bubble, as you will get a lot more of of those choices and they will not restrict your taking a better toggle power.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Best for Pets summoning build IMO. :3
  • Options
    sidreussidreus Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Also unlike other toggle powers, it's energy return is insignificant. So if you don't have a good energy unlock power or doesn't need energy that much (like pet masters above) you are way better of with another form power.

IDF feels like shooting your own foot. :frown:
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,087 Arc User
    edited October 2012

For most non Invuln/tankish builds no it is not. It currently gives no benefit to anything. It unlike other forms (With exception of Mental Discipline) does not give energy on absorb or anything, it actually nerfs your energy generation and energy recovery if it is active. In the old system this was an appropriate trade off for the damage absorb it used to give. Now it has been butchered it can only really be useful on some tank builds or pet master builds.
    sidreus wrote: »
    Also unlike other toggle powers, it's energy return is insignificant. So if you don't have a good energy unlock power or doesn't need energy that much (like pet masters above) you are way better of with another form power.

IDF feels like shooting your own foot. :frown:

IDF doesnt give back any energy. It nerfs your energy generation and recovery. The worst case scenario which I have to deal with where you can see how bad IDF is in the Impulse AT. If you are running with the first suggested passive known as Personal Force Field and you use IDF, all forms of protection are layered under your Personal Force Field (Except Field Surge). This means IDF's supposed protection will only work once your passive is destroyed which won't take very long >_>'

IDF is a waste of a power point in a PFF build, I assume your not running an Impulse AT, but regardless of whether you are or not, as someone who knows a bit about this power, I'd say leave it and choose a different form power else.

You'll only see any benefits of IDF on an Impulse AT if you are running with Kinetic Manipulation. Even then 93 flat damage absorb at rank 3 isnt going to save anyone from a 3k hit..
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Inertial Dampening Field complexes with two slotted passives nicely (Invulnerability and Regeneration) and one playstyle poorly (pet commander). Outside of those ... it is an utter waste of a power point.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    Inertial Dampening Field complexes with two slotted passives nicely (Invulnerability and Regeneration) and one playstyle poorly (pet commander). Outside of those ... it is an utter waste of a power point.

Now see, I am running Regeneration. And it didn't seem to be helping survival at all :/ That's why I asked. It was reducing damage by 26ish points at my level, and I didn't really feel a survival difference with running Regeneration, Devouring Essence and Resurgence as Active Defense (super stats INT/Str/Con).
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's basically only useful for those who build for solid tank defenses. Invulnerability, Defiance, Lightning Reflexes. Oh, and also for pet master builds (where your entire build is nothing but pets). Oh, and never rank it up either (as it gives a next to nothing boost).

Beyond that, the miniscule bonus to defense isn't worth it at all.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crappynamerulescrappynamerules Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    IDF is an interesting creature. At higher levels it can get a good deal higher, at 40 I've seen it get to 70s and beyond. Coupled with high enough percentage damage resistance, it can lower the resisted damage to pitiful single digit numbers. This is of course, only against certain types of attacks. Big kablooey attacks, even after getting sliced in half, will not see a big loss with a further 70 damage cut away. But if you are getting attacked by a lot of trash at once, having your defenses slice away a percentage of the damage will sometimes leave 100 or less to be absorbed by the IDF. This can reduce a giant mob's attrition advantage to almost nothing, hitting you for little onesie ticks. Invulnerability of course, has much the same effect (and does it better). Putting IDF on top of it is probably a silly idea, since you're better served with a toggle that'll get you energy.

I could see it working well with regeneration if you pump defenses high enough with specs and items. Regeneration is weaker against attrition type situations, while IDF makes those situations much more manageable. The question you need to ask is if your damage and energy generation are acceptable without a toggle. If you would prefer either be better, then don't pick IDF.

Another thing I'd expect IDF to work really well with is radiant protection. This allows you to give a whole group of allies and yourself a lesser version of the invulnerability passive (which will stack on top of their existing passives). So yes, good for pets, and possibly even good for healers, if you'd prefer your allies taking less damage overall and are willing to trade-off healing strength to make it happen.
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Now see, I am running Regeneration. And it didn't seem to be helping survival at all :/ That's why I asked. It was reducing damage by 26ish points at my level, and I didn't really feel a survival difference with running Regeneration, Devouring Essence and Resurgence as Active Defense (super stats INT/Str/Con).

I have a freeform who runs Regen and IDF. Let me check ...

*logs into the alt*

Spartan.

Level 27 Freeform Champion.

Wearing the six piece armadillo set from the questionite store.

STR 24, DEX 194, CON 119, INT 16, EGO 16, PRE 13, REC 110, END 17.

Superstats are - DEX primary, CON secondary, REC secondary.

Regeneration provides 320 health every 3 seconds and +30% all damage resistance. Baseline. Per the tooltip.

IDF provides a flat reduction of 48 points for her and for her teammates. Per the tooltip.

Spartan runs in either hybrid or tank role. The above numbers are for hybrid role, in case it matters.

The difference in 'feel' between IDF being on and IDF being off is rather noticeable when I'm running missions, street cleaning or running non-smash alerts. Smash alerts don't tend to have a lot of littles beating on you, thereby IDF underperforms in that situation. Did you want me to see about posting a combat log and the resulting parse for you to view?Or you can contact me in-game, if you'd prefer to do it that way?

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.