test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Non-damaging energy builder idea.

gaiusterminusgaiusterminus Posts: 14 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Suggestions Box
I just thought it would be really cool to have an energy builder for power armor that doesn't do damage. Your character holds up his forearm, or touches the side of his temple, or some automated piece comes out and... emits a laser rangefinder. Builds energy, maybe applies a dodge debuff or a crit buff, but doesn't do damage. I know this is a really really really specific and unimportant suggestion, but it does seem really cool and I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy thematically.
Post edited by gaiusterminus on

Comments

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not to shoot this down, but it kind of loses the ability to be useful or worth consideration if it doesn't do anything...

Now, to make you feel a little better...

CoX had something like that where there was a laser-pointer effect coming from your eyes. It was an 'aura', if I'm not mistaken.

CO has auras on the way. Maybe something like this.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It doesn't do damage, that doesn't mean it doesn't do anything. Energy builders aren't really very useful for damage anyways.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hmmmm...
    Melee end builder is non damaging if you're out of the melee range....
    You just point your finger and energy flows on to you.
    :cool:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    That's a good point, finn.

I'll admit that the main reason I want a power like this is because my missile-using power armor looks silly using automated assault. I quickly fantasized about being able to maintain micro munitions, use shoulder launcher, tactical missile, and then use an energy builder that looked like I was locking on.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I actually like this, and would expand on it by suggesting a similar energy builder for the other powersets.

So, it'd work in that when active, the character points at a foe and gains energy for doing so.

So, for gadgets, they basically scan their foe, which you can think of as preparing to cause damage to them, which makes the energy building rather logical in a way, as it is prepping to fight...

Arcane/etc magic could have some kind of magic-circle-around-wrist effect, with perhaps an optional 1 point advantage energy drain beam thingy where a beam comes out of their hand and gives the user energy, possibly draining it from their foe with the advantage because why not (perhaps it could be called Gathering, while the advantage is called Draining. So, the former is gathering energy from magic around you, draining is leeching it from a living thing).

Bestial could be basically roaring to intimidate one's foe (with a point advantage to have a 0.0001% chance of making targets Fear you), thus gaining confidence, aka energy, that you can move faster and grieviously hurt them...

Elementals could have simple ones, such as a floating representation of their element in their hand while they glow in the appropriate manner...

So, basically, a taunty-energy builder that doesn't cause damage to the foe, but because of that, for balance, it gives you more energy per tick than the regular energy builders do.

I... Like it!
    /signed
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    danteandersendanteandersen Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2012

CO has auras on the way. Maybe something like this.

Oh? Can you link me to this news? I'd like to read about them.
  • Options
    perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i get it..instead of forcing you to jump into fighting to get energy you could simultaneously gain energy while preparing for the fight..i like this idea very much
  • Options
    stupendousmanxstupendousmanx Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    After reading vorshoth's idea, /SIGNED.

[SIGPIC]Too late![/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vorshoth wrote: »
    I actually like this, and would expand on it by suggesting a similar energy builder for the other powersets.

So, it'd work in that when active, the character points at a foe and gains energy for doing so.

So, for gadgets, they basically scan their foe, which you can think of as preparing to cause damage to them, which makes the energy building rather logical in a way, as it is prepping to fight...

Arcane/etc magic could have some kind of magic-circle-around-wrist effect, with perhaps an optional 1 point advantage energy drain beam thingy where a beam comes out of their hand and gives the user energy, possibly draining it from their foe with the advantage because why not (perhaps it could be called Gathering, while the advantage is called Draining. So, the former is gathering energy from magic around you, draining is leeching it from a living thing).

Bestial could be basically roaring to intimidate one's foe (with a point advantage to have a 0.0001% chance of making targets Fear you), thus gaining confidence, aka energy, that you can move faster and grieviously hurt them...

Elementals could have simple ones, such as a floating representation of their element in their hand while they glow in the appropriate manner...

So, basically, a taunty-energy builder that doesn't cause damage to the foe, but because of that, for balance, it gives you more energy per tick than the regular energy builders do.

I... Like it!
    /signed

After reading this I already have one for Telepathy >:3

Brain Drain - You can extend your mental reach and enter your foes mind at a very long range, you plant seeds of doubt in your foes mind, quickly draining away their will to live.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    edited October 2012