test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Detect Vulnerability question

sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
So with the proposed changed to Imbue. A few of my characters who have used it will be needing some reworking in the near future.

I have one, currently running PRE as primary SS. But over time I'm finding her role as a support healer being used less and less. So I'm making the change to full DPS and considering going INT as primary.

Preliminary tests show at rank 3, I can get Detect Vulnerability to provide a 25% defense penetration. Now, considering I don't PVP....is this an ability I'm going to get a lot of use out of?

Most NPCs don't seem to have to much defense. That seem to be something only super villain class mobs or higher have. So, I'm curious if I'm going in the right direction or if I can spend those points better elsewhere. Like perhaps changing my primary tree to Ego.

I'm grateful for any advice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Considering damage debuffs are pretty much defense buffs I'd have to go with defense debuffs being the equal of +offense% damage...that being said I'm sure you'd get more out of critical strike and severity (Which is like dodge/avoidance...what I mean by that is that 100% means you take no damage...but with avoidance you 'cannot' reach 100% let alone the 120%+ that severity can go up to) then you would by debuffing a mob's defense...

But it all boils down to how useful the other things about it is...and right now EGO has the highest damage potential while INT is the "jack-of-all-trades master of none" type of deal...
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If you PvE against Elite mobs you will get a great deal out of penetration.

The penetration itself does much better on rapid fire attacks with adequate base values.. these are mostly found in Archery, Munitions and Infernal (and soon to be telepathy). If your character focuses on any spike blasts or spike melee (excluding shadow strike) then you will not see a great RoI from penetration values.
  • konru2konru2 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here are some of my own observations regarding primary Intelligence and Detect Vulnerability.

At least in the Powerhouse's battle station, I have noticed that anything stronger than a minion has resistance. Without Detect Vulnerability or other armor penetration powers, a power that hits in the low 1,100s against minions seems to hit in the low 1,000s on villains and the high 900s on Master Villains. So my best educated guess is that villains have a 10% resistance and masters a 15% resistance, minimum. (This will vary depending on faction and specific mob type.) With Detect Vulnerability, damage is very consistent. 1,100s for minion, villain, and master alike.

So, here is some number crunching.

The resistance part of the damage formula is damage = base / (1+ resist%). So a 25% resistance against a 100 value hit looks like: 100/(1+0.25) = 80 damage. Now, with 25% penetration, that becomes 100/(1+0.0) = 100 damage. So the 25% penetration is as much as 25% actual base damage. But obviously not in all cases. Resistance penetration won't reduce resistance below zero. So in the case of normal villains and masters who have 10% or 15% resistance, that penetration becomes 10% or 15% more damage, respectively.

Increasing a target's resistance also reduces the result. Take something with a 100% resistance (which you will see on some Enforcer level opponents) and without the penetration, that works out to 100/(1+1.00) = 50. With 25% penetration that is 100/(1+0.75) = 57. At this extreme, the effective damage bonus over someone who doesn't have that penetration is about 14%

Now most people aiming for DPS tend to aim for Critical Severity first. At 100% critical severity, any critical strike chance you have can be read as a pure damage multiplier, a 30% crit chance with 100% severity is about the same as 30% more base damage. A 50% crit chance with 100% severity is the equal to 50% more base damage. But when breaking that down, 50% critical severity is the base. Everyone gets it. About 25% more can be had with super-stat specialization, from primary strength, dexterity, or ego. Exactly 15% can be had from Merciless in the Vindicator Tree, and 10% (each) from Ruthless in any of the other damage specialization trees.

Looking specifically at the 25% from stat specialization, going from 100% severity to 75% severity with a 30% strike rate is a net loss of about 7.5% of your damage potential. With a 50% critical strike rate, from 100% to 75% severity is a loss of 12.5%. Now compare that to what you stand to gain in return.

In spite of Intelligence's reputation as a jack-of-all-trades stat, I have found it to be no slouch at all as a DPS stat. In fact, it seems to be just slightly better than Dexterity, Strength, or Ego in most cases. One exception I can think of is with Telekinesis heroes, where Ego Leech can increase critical strike chances well above the 50% mark using some specific powers. Strength or Dexterity might still be superior on close range attackers since they feed directly into Enraged or Focus. Otherwise, I have been very happy with the results of primary Intelligence on my ranged DPS and ranged hybrid heroes. I have settled on Int/Rec/Dex as the best stat combination for my ranged damage and hybrid heroes after trying many others.
  • ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Pretty much what Konru2 said..

After 2 min testing session detect vulnerability is....well...crappy..

It merely lowers your opponent's defense rating by the % it gives...What this means is that you will do the amount of damage that is shown by the power itself(at least if your detect is high enough to beat their defense)

(Most) Henchmen have no defense
    10% makes Villains into Henchmen
    15% makes Master Villains into Henchmen
    16% makes (some)Enforcers into Henchmen
    20% makes (Base defense not Passive defense)Legendary into Henchmen
    Everything else I have yet to test..

Detect Vulnerability does not work on any poison stack ticks and I'm guessing bleeds and that PA thing too..

What does this mean?!
    Honestly it is a useless thing to invest in if your not up against something with a passive or something that stacks heavily into defenses(pretty much something with a passive..) so..pretty much only bosses are the main target...and it doesn't provide any "Bonus" damage..it just turns your damage back to what it SHOULD be if you were fighting any random chair that could hit back...hmm..

Gravitar's passive gives around 50% resistance to crushing damage..

PATIO FURNITURE?-ALERT
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. It answers a lot of questions. And confirms a few of my suspicions.