test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mega-Destroid Update

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited October 2012 in Release Notes
Just so no one's stuck in suspense, it doesn't look like the Mega-Destroid event is going to be fixed and brought back in the next few days. There's another upcoming (returning) event that will be on PTS that uses the same Team Up! button, so testing that will help us indirectly test the event. I don't have a timeline, but it's likely to be longer than shorter.

That being said -- you guys saw me in there, you saw me enjoying it as much as everyone else. It's a fun event, and everyone on the dev team was really happy with how it was received by the community. Subject to time constraints, we want to bring it back at some point.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Team Up...Big Event...Calendar says its October...

Is it?...
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sorry to hear this, events like this are always a lot of fun, especially when they are new ones.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, that's a bummer. It was a fun event.

Thanks for the update.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • txhawktxhawk Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for letting us know.

It may not be what I was hoping for, but not knowing if it was coming back or not was worse.

Please continue the communication. :smile:

Thank you.
    Waiting for paladins...
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aw dang. I was busy with work related stuff the entire time it was up, only got to run it twice.

Meh, bloodmoon is a fine replacement. Any chance we can get those summon champions devices added in to tako's drop table, though? I'd like a chance to go for one, if we can't do the mega-d event. Just a thought. :)
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just so no one's stuck in suspense, it doesn't look like the Mega-Destroid event is going to be fixed and brought back in the next few days. There's another upcoming (returning) event that will be on PTS that uses the same Team Up! button, so testing that will help us indirectly test the event. I don't have a timeline, but it's likely to be longer than shorter.

That being said -- you guys saw me in there, you saw me enjoying it as much as everyone else. It's a fun event, and everyone on the dev team was really happy with how it was received by the community. Subject to time constraints, we want to bring it back at some point.

That pretty much seemed to be what was going to happen, but it's nice to get confirmation =)
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What a waste... :frown:
  • hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Good call in keeping the event down if you can't pin down the bug. I myself loved the extra resources I got and would like to have played it some more but that really was a big bug there.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If its deffinately been identified as a problem with the team up function (a dev posted in another thread that it had been identified and a fix was being looked into) couldnt the team up option be removed and run the event without it, eaving people soloing or making teams normally instead ?
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I only got a chance to run it once. What a shame... Oh well. It was a fun event. I'll look forward to a day where you guys can fix it and return it to service. Thanks for the update.
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    What a waste... :frown:

What a joke.

Yo CoH players, sadly this is what you can expect here. :mad:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • slowecsl4pweslowecsl4pwe Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really enjoyed the event myself and do hope it comes back in the near future.

With regards to the upcoming Halloween Bloodmoon event, it was fun last year as well, though unlike the last Bloodmoon, I hope the drop tables have been updated with better drops than the old pre-On Alert drops.

Other than that look forward to trying it out.

Thanks guys for the update.

Apathy is on the rise, but nobody seems to care.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is that why we have the Blood Moon on PTS for? to see if the level bug might affect that too?

If it's directly linked to team up, i think it would be best to remove that, as i from what i experienced it was never widely used enough untill the mega d event started. or it was used but just seemed like (I'm not just stating this on personal opinion without checking btw, i've been in multiple instances and used team up and tended to be alone in it each time)

Well except the team ups in alerts, but could it be possible that's somehow working differently? or maybe the fact the mega d's are lvl 60? and if team up was re coded to fit into alerts maybe it got affected in that?
  • hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    skcark wrote: »
    Is that why we have the Blood Moon on PTS for? to see if the level bug might affect that too?

If it's directly linked to team up, i think it would be best to remove that, as i from what i experienced it was never widely used enough untill the mega d event started. or it was used but just seemed like (I'm not just stating this on personal opinion without checking btw, i've been in multiple instances and used team up and tended to be alone in it each time)

Well except the team ups in alerts, but could it be possible that's somehow working differently? or maybe the fact the mega d's are lvl 60? and if team up was re coded to fit into alerts maybe it got affected in that?

They're not used much on the regular open missions but during events they fill up easy. In the previous Blood Moon, I pretty much always get into a full one during a Tako spawn.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    First time I tried it, the Mega D's disappeared midway due to being suspended for a quick fix. I only got to do it a few times before it got pulled.

Saw 6 Mega D's go down in 6 minutes on zone #1, when I did get to play the thing.
    edited October 2012
    What a joke.

I dunno if I'd go that far. This is the first time I've seen em cancel an event. Usually the christmas/anniversary/random zone events are pretty reliable, nighthawk aside. They're actually the major selling point of the game, anymore, since it's pretty much the most reliable content. Even during the nighthawk bugfest, the nighthawk event itself worked just fine.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited October 2012
    What a joke.

Yes, you can expect bugs in these events to be looked into immediately, and hotfixed as soon as possible.
    You can expect the devs to make a responsible decision to postpone the event when they are faced with an evasive bug that makes your character useless until they can manually fix your character.
    You can expect the devs and community manager to be open in their communication when these bugs arise.

Honestly, of all the stuff that has happened over the years in CO, this was one of the best handled issues. All in all it was a positive experience for me, even with the event being indefinitely postponed.
  • johhotajohhota Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I agree with the people defending the dev team. They made the right choice by cancelling the event. It's also the first time an event has had so many problems and one that breaks your character in a very negative way. If that means having a regular event this month then so be it, better the stuff that works than something essentially cool but broken.

However, when you do decide to turn the event back on, please start it over as if the first phase never happened. I imagined you were going for a progressive invasion with each phase remaining as new ones were available until we hit the big event of Dr. D's (wonder if there's a P Actor with that name) return. We know the devices are going to be nerfed, and quite possibly rightly so (not really something I care about) but the green drops and empty chests as rewards just cannot happen.

Last thing, please consider opening PTS for at least some people even if they're not gold, if the numbers don't meet your expectations. Still thank you for your hard work.
  • ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aiqa wrote: »
    Yes, you can expect bugs in these events to be looked into immediately, and hotfixed as soon as possible.
    You can expect the devs to make a responsible decision to postpone the event when they are faced with an evasive bug that makes your character useless until they can manually fix your character.
    You can expect the devs and community manager to be open in their communication when these bugs arise.

Honestly, of all the stuff that has happened over the years in CO, this was one of the best handled issues. All in all it was a positive experience for me, even with the event being indefinitely postponed.

Yep, and according to the PTS notes they are working hard on smashing bugs that affect stuff like whiteout and resistance.

Not sure what changed on the Mother Ship, but I gotta say I'm diggin' it!

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    EDIT: Derp. Wrong thread.

But yeah... so I feel somewhat on topic here...

Bugs are a plague in this game. They really are. It's silly.

This was handled pretty decent for a bug that blindsided everyone. Now if only they'd get to the bugs people have been talking about for months.
    edited October 2012
    Oh, they have been. 's why I defend em so vigorously. I'm the first to call out devs when they're sleeping on something, but it's definitely obvious that they're banging away at as many bugs as possible. Honestly, the change in dev attitude and communication even over the last 2 months has been breathtaking.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2012

As someone who completely missed this as - the weekend day I was finally able to make some time for it, was the day it 'broke' - I think it's a TERRIBLE decision to in effect abandon it and bring back the old and tired 'Bloodmoon' event in it's place.

IMO - it's development decisions like these that will lead to the shutdown of CO. Players don't want old recycled content - we want new content (which the event you're now abandoning is.)

Yes, it'll be back 'sometime in the future' along with all the other stuff 'somrtime in the future' that seems t never materialize; or materializes in such a broken state, it's quickly redacted - much like this Mega-Destriod event.

And the sad thing is, at it's core, CO is a good game with a decent setup, and A LOT of potential; but ever sine F2P came to this game, PWE/Cryptic seem to have reduced it's Dev team to a hardworking skeleton crew; and put the game as close to maintenece mode as an MMO can get.

I realize the CO Dev team works hard and does the best they can with the resources provided; but they're not provided with much of late - and at this point, I'm sorry to say that, even though I purchased an LTS based on the potential of this game; and what Cryptic did when they were in charge of CoH (say what you will but there, even before they sold it to NCSoft, they managed an issue with new content every 3-4 months); even now, I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth.

Again, I realize the CO Dev team works hard and does what they can with what they're given, but in the end, situations like this clearly shows how LITTLE Cryptc/PWE management thinks of CO.

There's a reason I can go months without logging in and not feel like I've missed a thing; and that's just sad. t's really frustrating as I do honestly feel this game has potential.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited October 2012
    aiqa wrote: »

Sure when it's the Mother of All Bugs. Honestly, it can't get much worse in MMOs than a bug that zaps your character back to level 1 unless it actually deleted your character. Or emptied your banks, or just plain left you unable to login to various zones at all.

Point is, since you missed it, that this was more borked content that was pushed to Live too early, with a flawed design (do they even prepare, review and approve design documents or just wing it) and without adequate testing, once again. It should not take a patch to fix the patch every single time. And stuff like this should never even make it to Live in the state it is in.

But yes, communication has gotten better. That is undeniable.

• mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Honestly, it can't get much worse in MMOs than a bug that zaps your character back to level 1 unless it actually deleted your character. Or emptied your banks, or just plain left you unable to login to various zones at all.

I'm waiting for the bug that physically punches me in the face. :tongue:
    edited October 2012
    Honestly, it can't get much worse in MMOs than a bug that zaps your character back to level 1 unless it actually deleted your character. Or emptied your banks, or just plain left you unable to login to various zones at all.

Not all that long ago there actually was a bug that stopped people from logging in. :biggrin:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So wait a minute, Armsman - you want Cryptic to continue running a special event that terminally breaks the highest-level characters, just because it's on the calendar???
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As someone who completely missed this as - the weekend day I was finally able to make some time for it, was the day it 'broke' - I think it's a TERRIBLE decision to in effect abandon it and bring back the old and tired 'Bloodmoon' event in it's place.

They're testing Bloodmoon on PTS right now because it involves large fights and, oh yeah, the Team Up code in wide usage. They're making sure it doesn't mess up anyone else's characters.

Plus, it is that time of the year again (Halloween). Why wouldn't they be running the Bloodmoon event? Additionally, they have planned other Halloween stuff (at least according to the last UNTIL Report), which should be making its appearance this month as well.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited October 2012
    So wait a minute, Armsman - you want Cryptic to continue running a special event that terminally breaks the highest-level characters, just because it's on the calendar???

It only delevelled 40s using the team up button, they should just have disabled that function and run it with people free to solo and make teams as normal
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    Plus, it is that time of the year again (Halloween). Why wouldn't they be running the Bloodmoon event? Additionally, they have planned other Halloween stuff (at least according to the last UNTIL Report), which should be making its appearance this month as well.

Indeed. The Mega-Destroid event was not pulled and replaced with the Blood Moon; the Blood Moon was already planned, and the issues with the Mega-Ds made it more important than ever to test it thoroughly. The two events are sufficiently different that we're hopeful that Blood Moon won't have the same issues.

The Champs team is hard at work on Halloween-related content, and some of the stuff I've seen on the whiteboards is pretty exciting. It's worth noting, though, that some of the things in the UNTIL reports are stretch goals, and you may have noticed that the devs have been spending a fair piece of time lately on bug fixes. We're committed to an awesome Halloween, and you should keep an eye on the site for preview blogs.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What about those auras? I've been dying to see what those look like.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What auras?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I tested my backups in PTS and found now they have shared cool down time.
    (If you equipped 5 and use one, remaining 4 can't be used till 1st one finish recharge...)

I know you needed some kind of fix to this OP device, bust not few of us have already equipped several of them on one toon. And as those are bound, if someone have already equipped 5 backups, 4 will be just useless scrap...

Please fix this not "bound" but "Tradeable" or "Bind on Account" like vehicle devices at least.
    Plz care about huge resource and time we spent to get those super rare Devices. T.T

Or I don't care DPS nurf for each but this is night mare... T.T
  • ninjaworrior1234ninjaworrior1234 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Damn :eek:
    edited October 2012
    Damn :eek:

So if they are going to fix this way, I have to say Backups will soon become a ultra rare scrap and this Mega-D event a huge waist of time. :frown:
    edited October 2012
    First, i wanna say, this event was good, and it's sad it had to be postponed. and the way cryptic are handlying is is good, especially with the upfront communication on the forums about the state of the event.

Although I really must protest the way they "fixed" backups. Unless i am mistaken, the entire reason for the nerf was based on how much damage they can deal. So it seems rather absurd to fix it by making it cooldown longer, and have a shared use across ALL backup devices (Which is rather a slap to the face for some people, i'll explain later).

Heck, does this mean if these devices dished out 10,000,000 Damage, you would extend the cooldown to be 24 hours as to "lower the dps/x-amount-of-time" ?

I really wish the damage was actually fixed. And that i could still summon more than one at a time, or one right after the other, as a sort of Super Tag Team line up. like from capcom or whatever it was called, that old arcade game where you picked two characters and switch them out during combat to change the tactics up.

If the argument for shared cooldown is simply "to keep the damage abuse low" why not just lower the damage to a point where doing so wouldn't cause any overly powered abuse?

Plus, think how cool it would be, if you could get all the devices and summon them at once and get a cool screenshot with them all in one spot. Really imagine it, because now we have to, since it's not possible atm now.
    edited October 2012
    *snip*

Mostly agreed, with a small addition.
    There is a reason why active offense/defense powers give other such powers a small recharge too.
    Having a completely shared recharge, but leaving the extremely high burst damage is not the best option. But at least a smaller shared recharge is needed, the burst damage they do needs to take a nosedive.
    edited October 2012
    If the argument for shared cooldown is simply "to keep the damage abuse low" why not just lower the damage to a point where doing so wouldn't cause any overly powered abuse?

All other devices have shared cooldowns, why should these be different? :confused:

edited October 2012
    All other devices have shared cooldowns, why should these be different? :confused:

For sample? :3

You said "all" but it's for only heal & buffs and some "same" kind of summon devices.Like Lemurian Idols.

Most of other "same" Devices can't even equip together to same toon because its "unique".
    And "shared cooldowns" mostly never goes "full-recharge".

I won't say anything if shared cooldowns was 3-5min cycle like other. But in this case, 30min full rechage are shared to all. Means, "scrap".
    edited October 2012

All devices? Really? Cool. I must have a very unique bug then. if i use my become devices, there's no cooldown when i switch from one to the other. My bloodmoon devices don't have a shared cooldown. I hope cryptic never find out. I don't know what i would ever do if i had to wait the 3.1-5 seconds of my life waiting to turn on my next become device. Although, to be honest, i stopped using my becomes ever since they became horribly useless from the entire on alert patch.

if your claim that all, i repeat ALL devices had shared cooldown was valid though, that's fair enough, but i'm saying it's a bad thing in totality anyway. However i was just saying, they should FIX the device correctly, not nerf it to be any worse off than it already is.

I honestly don't think sharing the cooldown and extending the timer for useage solves a damn thing. Because that doesn't stop people who already own this device from forming a team of 5 people with one each and using it all at once to whip out over 500k damage on whatever mob or pvp they want to use it.

If i recall correctly, they nerfed some spec or PFF because someone figured out a way to gain 40,000 shield HP, but for 1 player to dish 100k, or even a team doing 500k damage is instead "fixed" by defining how long they have to wait after is silly.
    edited October 2012
    Good news. All Backups and Mega-Destroid Event will be fixed up to huge waist of time and resource. :(

Release Notes, October 5
    -Backup Devices" now have a shared 30 Minute Cooldown
    edited October 2012
    So if this bothers you so very much, why weren't you speaking up when so many complained about how horribly broken these devices were because they could be popped one after another? "Trivializing content" was the most common complaint, as I recall...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited October 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    So if this bothers you so very much, why weren't you speaking up when so many complained about how horribly broken these devices were because they could be popped one after another? "Trivializing content" was the most common complaint, as I recall...

At least I spoke about them used in Duels "its no good" and should be fixed as more low DPS or "some" shared cooldown somewhere. And I'm Japanese, I'm not so good reading in too much long sentence like everyone writes. :frown:

At least I wasn't shutting up at all. :(
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jonsills wrote: »

Ok most of the time your comments are fair and generally sound but this time you are mistaken. Monahiruu did speak up and he did give his feedback on this matter in a few threads related to this issue. However, as he has explained, because of his language competency, he is not able to communicate his concerns as clearly or in as much details.

The fact that that are broken has to do with the huge amount of damage they can do. If the damage was significantly reduced, whether all five can be spawned or in sequence, there will not be such uproar. Monahiruu is also right to say this problem would not have happened had the backup devices been properly tested and calibrated before being release and now players who have bound all 5 to a toon are paying the price for this.

If you follow the PTS thread where the nerf was tested, feedback was given and a long debate was caried out over it. I suggested simply nerfing the damage output of the devices to 1/10 of its current and reduce the cooldown duration to 3 min. This would make the devices more useful for more situations. It will also be nice to allow the players to continue to summon all 5. If there is a need the nerf the damage further but they should not be worse off than a blood moon device such as Revenant of Fireflight which is only a blue device.
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Overall, I don't really have a problem with the shared cooldown; what I have a problem with is the way they are bound to a single character. Ideally, these items should be bound to an account so that you could trade them between your various toons. Naturally, I have no idea how much of a nightmare making that change to all the backups in the game would be, but it at least bears consideration.
    edited October 2012

Ty for word Wes. (T.T)

If this fix really applied, this will make "Broken OP" change to a "Broken Scrap". (>.<)
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    sanmerci wrote: »
    Overall, I don't really have a problem with the shared cooldown; what I have a problem with is the way they are bound to a single character. Ideally, these items should be bound to an account so that you could trade them between your various toons. Naturally, I have no idea how much of a nightmare making that change to all the backups in the game would be, but it at least bears consideration.

I personally like to be able to summon all 5 backups at the same time just for the sake of an Avenger Assemble kinda feel. Hence I propose lowering the damage of these backups to 10% of their current level.
    edited October 2012
    I personally like to be able to summon all 5 backups at the same time just for the sake of an Avenger Assemble kinda feel. Hence I propose lowering the damage of these backups to 10% of their current level.

That sounds nice too. We can put them to PvP if lowering DPS fix done. :D

I feel some kind of fix is kind of must, but its not "30min full recharge time shared". >.<
    edited October 2012

Exactly my same concern. I do not have these devices, i want them fixed, i also want all of them to be on sale-when they are fixed correctly- I honestly don't see how they think making a longer and shared cooldown solves anything, if the broken aspect tis the fact it deals too much damage, lower the damage.

If you had a car and it's brakes are damaged beyond use. You don't just tamper with the speed and reduce it down to 5 KM/h (10 MPH) You fix the breaks, because it's the part that's actually broken so it makes no sense to mess with other components that don't fix the issue at hand.
    edited October 2012
    Hey, when people started complaining about these devices "breaking the game", I asked why it was a bad thing to be able to steamroller content when you want to - after all, nobody was forcing anyone to min/max their cooldowns so they could pop one Champion after another - and got shouted down because apparently making something easy-mode for yourself without necessarily affecting anyone else's gameplay is eeeevil.

I was the only person raising this point, as far as I could see (I don't topuch PvP threads, as I don't touch PvP).

Then the fix that was being loudly demanded was put in place - and suddenly there are voices I never heard before screaming about that!

It's a wonder the devs worry about pleasing anyone at all - no matter what they do, there are going to be a lot of people raging and threatening to quit.

edited October 2012
    People were screaming for a fix, and are screaming now because as usual they over nerfed.

I agree that they should have made them 30 min cooldown with no cooldown reduction effecting them, but the shared cooldown was excessive, made having more than 1 pointless and ruined the fun of trying to collect the full set.

At most they should have made it the 30 min cooldown unaffected by reduction, and using one placing a 5 min shared cooldown on the others, that way all 6 still have some use.