test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online Webcomic: The Origin of Joy Buzzer

mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Posts: 128 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Fan Base Alpha
<^_^> So I've been working on this since last oh... September, but now I'm finally far enough a long I feel I can start posting!

The goal here is a weekly series showing the origin of my character, Joy Buzzer <^o^> Ultimately I just hope folks enjoy it.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12

*edit* The finale will be further delayed than originally thought. RL is a pain. I'll likely have to start a new thread when I can get back to it. My apologies all.

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
Post edited by mistformsquirrel on

Comments

• lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Great job! I like the bee slippers; nice touch!

Can't wait to see the rest!

:smile:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thankies Rhyatt <^_^> Hopefully it'll all be worthwhile.

• supercollider75supercollider75 Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    looking good so far mist! :biggrin:
    Thank you Supercollider <^_^>

• iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Nice start!
  • tharkantharkan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Impressive. Can't wait to see more.
    edited August 2012
    Page 2 is now up 2 days early <^_^> I just couldn't hold it back anymore. Page 3 and so on need more work though, so it's highly probable this is the only page that will be up early. Never know though.

edited August 2012
    Gah, also there's a slight problem up near the top of this one, I fixed it, but DA is being a pain and it isn't showing up that I've fixed it yet >< hopefully it will soon.

• blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very nice! I've always thought about doing something like this... congratz on following through :D Awesome result so far ^^

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
    edited August 2012
    Thankies Rune, Tharkan, Bluemoon8 <^_^> makes me happy to know at least so far folks are enjoying it. (I hope that continues to hold true!)

edited August 2012
    Brief update - Page 3 will be a day late, possibly 2. I got a little busy this week (and distracted), and the page needed some reworking on the line art in places, so between all of that it's taken far more time than anticipated. <;_;> Sorry.

edited August 2012
    Page 3 is now up <^_^> I apologize if it's excessively 'busy' >< I'm still learning how to do special effects and I have a long way to go. (Okay that could be said about everything I'm doing here really >.>)

• stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ebowf is my new favourite onomatopoeia.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
    edited August 2012
    Hehe, believe it or not "Ebowf" is an in-joke from another place I'm active >,> I promised that someday I'd use it in a comic as a sound effect and I finally got around to it. Glad you like <^-^>m

• pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Kudos from me, looks really nice so far! :smile: I love it to see other characters looks at situation everyone has experienced, like the Qularr invasion! Will you be following the game plotline?

...Damnit, makes me wish I could draw.
    edited August 2012
    <^o^> I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

As to the plotline <>_<> much as I hate to answer this way I'll have to leave it at "Read and find out!" - Otherwise knowing my big mouth I may spoil it <. .> and I'd really hate to do that!

edited August 2012
    Page 4 is now up <^_^>

• stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Enjoying the comic so far, my only issue with part 4 is the panels scan really awkwardly.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, a friend of mine told me the same thing >_< I'll see what I can do to improve it as we go forward, though since the lineart was all pre-done it may be hard to fix for this particular comic.

Still, it's very useful feedback and I appreciate it whether or not I can impolement it for the run of this comic, I can at least in my 'main' webcomic when i get back to it <^_^>

Also Page 5 is up <^-^>

• man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Great work have to agree with the page 4 not scanning right but apart from that I look forward to reading the next pages which is what you want from a comic. I love your quirky style keep up the good work. :biggrin:
    Thanks Mandrake <^_^>m I'm really happy folks have been enjoying this - it's been a lot of work, but so long as it's enjoyed by at least one person, then it's worth it <^_^>

edited September 2012
    In order to finish getting to level 40 before the end of the Anniversary Leveling Contest, I'm postponing the release date of page 6 until Thursday. It may still go up before then, but Thursday should be the latest it's up.

(I just had too much going on this week and trying to hit 40 on a new character + the art contest + the comic + real life issues <@_@&gt; it's just been too much!)

*edit* I'm working on it, but this page is taking longer than I anticipated, I had to go over the lines again in a few places ><; My apologies, I'm not sure when I'll be done. Sooner rather than later I hope.

edited September 2012
    Page 6 is now up!

Let me apologize for both the delay and the relatively chaotic nature of the page. This was kind of an exposition page, and as you can tell, I am not an experienced comic artist/writer/letterer etc... yet; so I freely admit, this page is kind of a mess.

I did what I could, but the problem is pretty structural and I didn't have it in me to do the entire page over from scatch.

Also, about the art: Let me know what you think, I tried some new stuff with the lines on this page. It's all experimental so I don't know if anyone else likes it or not. < . .>

edited September 2012
    So I'm looking over the inks for the next page, and there are some spots I really want to change that, combined with the late start on this page (due to the delay on Page 6) is going ot make it pretty difficult if not impossible to get Page 7 in on time.

So here's my plan:

No page update this coming Wednesday, BUT! I'll add two pages on the 19th (that's the Wednesday after next).

That'll give me more time to get things squared away here and get back on track. < . .>

Anyway, back to work!

edited September 2012
    I finished Page 7 a bit sooner than anticipated (yay!), so I figured rather than hang onto it over the weekend, I'd go ahead and put it up now <^_^> Page 8 should in all probability go up on the 19th as planned.

edited September 2012
    Woohoo, I'm ahead of schedule, Page 8 is now up <^_^>

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Awesome as always! :biggrin:
    edited September 2012
    Thanks Sockmunkey <^_^> sometimes it's good just good to hear that.

edited September 2012
    We haz moar comics soon? :biggrin:
    edited September 2012
    Page 9 ought to be up Wednesday as per usual <^_^>

The schedule last week was kind of weird since I skipped an update, then delivered the missed update and the update for the week after both early, so right now we're back on schedule; though with a little luck I *may* get this one in sooner rather than later.

I'm just having a little bit of a special effects issue at the moment that's slowing things down. >.< But I think I can get it straightened around.

edited September 2012
    Page 9 is now up <^_^>

edited September 2012
    Just to let you know I want issue 10 already so I think that's a good sign :biggrin:
    That makes me incredibly happy to hear man515drake <^_^>

edited September 2012
    Just to let you know I want issue 10 already so I think that's a good sign :biggrin:

Seconded.....is that even a word? (Yea thats right take that 10 character limit. I have defeated you with my poor grammar!)
    edited October 2012
    Thank you sockmunkey!

---

I'm afraid I have to delay this week's post, I'm not sure how long. I've had a terrible headache all week and it's made it difficult to work as much as I usually do. Traditionally I'd be finishing up the shading and doing the text about now... instead I'm just finishing up the flat colors; and I think I may need to rest the rest of the day.

I may still manage to pull it off late Wednesday, but it's looking more like Thursday or Friday. I hate delays, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of choice at present.

edited October 2012
    Awww, don't stress over it. Its all good. Just hope you get to feeling better. :biggrin:
  • cerebellumcerebellum Posts: 74
    edited October 2012
    Wow, that's pretty good. Wish I could draw things even half that good. You might consider taking origin story requests. :biggrin:
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    wants moar!!!!

du moar nao!!!!

:biggrin:
    edited October 2012
    Thank you sockmunkey!

---

I'm afraid I have to delay this week's post, I'm not sure how long. I've had a terrible headache all week and it's made it difficult to work as much as I usually do. Traditionally I'd be finishing up the shading and doing the text about now... instead I'm just finishing up the flat colors; and I think I may need to rest the rest of the day.

I may still manage to pull it off late Wednesday, but it's looking more like Thursday or Friday. I hate delays, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of choice at present.

You can't rush art we can wait until Thursday .................................................Okay you can have till Friday :biggrin:
    I'm still holding out some feeble hope for Wednesday hehe >_< But it's going to be iffy - late in the day if it does go up Wednesday at all.

And also -

Thanks everyone for the wellwishes and especially for the kind words regarding the comic <~_~> Honestly my art level often depresses the heck out of me* - so needless to say, that people are enjoying it makes me immensely happy.

Status update: Headache has passed, mostly I'm just exhausted from it - darn migraines. Still, I've got one panel shaded, and with a little luck I can get them done by midday tomorrow. If I can do that, the text for this update is brief, so it all could be done by tomorrow evening. I'm not going to make any promises, but I'm hoping I can pull it off anyway.

*I've been working at it seriously since I was 16, but I've been drawing on and off since I was 5. Not even kidding.

edited October 2012
    In spite of immense doubts on my part about actually pulling it off... I managed to get Page 10 finished! <^_^> Posting it momentarily!

Thanks again for all the support everyone <^-^> ya helped give me the impetus to push myself that little bit extra to get this page in on time.

edited October 2012
    Alright, so... I have a biiiig problem that's come up rather suddenly ><;

I have the flat colors all laid out for Page 11 - while I'm slightly behind, I think I could easily get it out by Wednesday except for one little problemo...

My USB cord has been chewed by one of my cats. That means I can't use my tablet; which means I cannot effectively finish.* So, here's my plan to get this page out ASAP:

First - This page is definitely not coming out tomorrow, not unless I have a miracle and find another compatible USB cord here at home. What I can do is hit Radioshack this evening and see if they have a replacement. Normally I wouldn't even sweat it, but my Wacom has an oddball connector compared to most USB cords I own, so I can't use just any USB.

Second - Assuming I can find a replacement cord or get one at the store, I'm going to aim for a Thursday release; that'll give me Wednesday to make up the time lost today. I'd love to pull off another miracle last-minute "Hah, still got it in by Wednesday" - but since I don't have access to a car until 6 or 7pm tonight, I'm losing a lot of time that I'd normally need to hunker down and finish up.

Third: If I cannot get a hold of a replacement cord, and have to order one, I'll let you know. In that case, minimum delay is probably a week (for shipping); and one day (for drawing).

Really, really, really sorry about this folks <x.x> I appreciate everyone who's been reading along and put up with all this.

---

*edit*

Good news, I was able to buy a new cord. Was a little worried there about finding the right one heh; but that's sorted out, so now I just have to get the work done. Barring disaster, I should have it in by Thursday.
    *I could use my mouse, but it's an imprecise method that leaves my usual mediocrity looking pretty good by comparison.

edited October 2012
    Page 11 is up <^_^>

edited October 2012
    Page 12 is now up!

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Great job! I like the bee slippers; nice touch!

Can't wait to see the rest!

:smile:
    I didn't see any...

...oh, there they are. :biggrin:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Hey all; have a slightly irritating announcement to make >< Thankfully it's merely a short-term thing.

Long story short: The comic is going on hiatus for the next month, effective immediately. There's basically 2 reasons for this:

All the lines up to this point were done over a year ago. On the one hand this has been handy as it's meant that my job has till now mostly been of the coloring/shading/lettering variety; which has kept production time to reasonable levels. I have now used up all of those lines. I had expected myself to be really enthused about finishing the project so I could carry off the last few pages without a hitch (or anyone being the wiser) - but that's just not happening.

On the other hand, as you've probably noticed, the art quality is... shifty; and several sections of different pages have left me rather annoyed. I don't have the energy and wherewithal to go back and redo stuff; but since I'm now out of pre-finished line art and I have to do it anyway, I'm going to make sure I take my time and these last few pages are up to where I really want them to be quality-wise.

Reason number 2 is private, suffice to say it's making the next 2 weeks slightly more challenging than they would have been anyway.

So, we're on a break right now, but the comic will return November 21st. My hoped for is that when we come back the art work will be back up in quality.

My sincerest apologies to everyone who's actually reading a long, I know this hasn't been the smoothest ride to begin with <T_T> I greatly appreciate folks who've taken time to actually read my lil webcomic here, and I look forward to coming back and delivering a strong finish for you < . .>

<-- hates being a letdown >.< But in this case there isn't a whole heck of a lot of choice I'm afraid.