test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we help CoX players with proportion templates?

logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Costumes and Concepts
(This is being cross-posted from the general discussion thread. I'd like to specifically get costuming help here.)

Hey folks?

Is there some way that someone very good at tweaking proportions in the CO editor could do templates based on the basic (non slider tweaked) body types (male/female/huge) from City of Heroes?

I think a lot of players from CoX are put off by the proportions in CO that are given to them as defaults.

I think one of the things that the CO community could help with is provide them with a template to work from that would give them proportions for their character from the start that are as close to COX standards as possible.

Also perhaps look at the basic face sliders from CoX and duplicate those as well if possible? (Especially the female ones).

I remember one of my characters benefited greatly from one of the "kid" templates that were provided by Smackwell.

The great thing is that such templates can be posted links to in one of the welcome threads for CoX players to pick up and add to their screenshot folder. Simple and easy to do.
Unfortunately, the one detriment to CO's character creation is in the faces. I think there are very few differences in the facial structures overall, with minor tweaks doing a bit here and there. If I'm not mistaken, CoX had a 'pick this face or that face' method, while CO is 'shape this face and put a decal over it'.

As far as the body templates, I'm sure someone here could help you out with that.

Yeah. I think the face structures work differently enough that getting a template going is going to be very difficult.

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone's ever done some pigg-diving in COH and come up with the wire-frame they use for the polygon structure? Might help to see exactly what it is we're looking at in COH without the actual face texture laid over it? Do you think that might help with proportion tweaking of faces in CO?

Thing is - CO can have a LOT of structural differences. So much so that you can easily stray into "uncanny valley" more than you do with COH. It takes some practice to make a good face in CO.

In COH you have to take things all the way out to the extreme ends of the sliders to really get uncanny valley. The degree of change is just not as much. But as you say - you get distinctive faces by choosing an actual texture which reacts to shading and lighting and the sliders.

In short, I agree that it's doubtful the face models can be templated perfectly. But maybe some kind of compromise can be reached.

I have higher expectations in regards to the body sliders. I'm pretty sure those can be templated to a decently near match to the classic COH look.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments