test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regeneration

lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
I'm looking for any commentaries, builds, playstyles, suggestions, etc. for using Regeneration. I'm considered making a (FF) character that uses Regeneration. Is it a worthwhile power? Has anyone any build recommendations that use it? How accurate is the wiki info on the power:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Regeneration

It seems that gaining 201hp/3 seconds isn't very much for a Rank 3 power. I'm hoping this is no longer accurate. Also, it mentions blocking reduces the effectiveness of Regeneration. Is this a major debuff? How does it interact with Force Shield's Sheath, for example? It says the heal improves based on your SS, but does having a higher PRE or CON make it even better?

Are there any specializations that play well with Regeneraton?

Any other tips, warnings, etc. regarding Regeneration would be great, thanks!
jIBJh7X.jpg
When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sturmwolf65sturmwolf65 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Regeneration on it's own is a good power.
    Blocking decreases the healing but "Damage received increases healing per period up to 250% of normal".
    But the big "but" is, under heavy fire -either really big hits or just to many minor attacks- you will get busted before the regeneration really kicks in.
    If you are "just" doing regular missioncontent it's a godmode, but the moment you think your god and take to much risk, you're just dead meat.
    ;)
  • piro2genpiro2gen Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wiki has 'old' version listed.

New (current) version is better. Heals more and has +30% resistance built in. Plus Regen's heal 'scales' with damage taken. Last time I checked it healed one of my chars, with crap gear, for 1500+ per tick.

Its a good passive. Not the best but also not the worst.

Weak point: it's 'every 3 seconds'. Lots of thing can happen in 3 seconds.

Have Active Defense ready. Elec Sheath with advantage is also nice. Things that protect you in those 3 seconds. And the usual, boost your +defense as high as it gets.

Solid HPs also help. Lower chance you go down in those 3 seconds.

Block is no problem. It's not that your block 24/7 do you?
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Regeneration is quite a fun power, and quite decent as well.

The blocking doesn't really affect it from my experience. As long as you got one guy attacking you you'll be getting your full heal ticks even while holding your block up.

If I recall right +healing boosts from Hybrid role and items actually boost regeneration's amount, so you can make the numbers climb even higher. Stack some con, grab a block like Ebon Void and an active d. You'll feel bulletproof, and will pretty much have the capability against 90% of the stuff in the game.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Tanks need healing, damage resistance and dodge/avoid. Healing can come from another player or you can heal yourself.

Regeneration is an excellent passive and heals you really well, even while blocking. Under heavy fire, Regeneration will still heal at max even under sustained blocking. My tanks can hold block and survive indefinitely vs. Gravitar's force cascades.

So with Regen, all you need is damage resistance and dodge/avoid. Up your Defense stat with Vindicator and either Guardian or Warden -- performs this very well with any primary SS that has a Defense buff like STR, EGO, PRE. This combo is also very good for DPS with STR or EGO, you get ~100% crit severity.

Heroic Gear for Dodge/Avoid.

Block adv like Laser Knight, Parry or Phalanx help round out your defenses. Well worth the loss in damage and you can always swap out builds replacing that block with your default one.

Note: Nothing except SS affects the max amount of Regen healing.

I have made 3 viable Regen tank builds -

Bestial Supernatural - Massacre - Enrage
    Heavy Weapons - Cleave/Skewer - Enrage
    Single Blade - Reaper's Caress/Embrace - Aspect of the Bestial

I'll have to post those soon.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My suggestions:

Get yourself 3 pieces of the Armadillo 11K Questionite gear - it'll give you an extra 25% damage resistance. I recommend taking the secondary pieces so you can still put MODs in your primary pieces of gear.

If you're freeform, consider taking a backup heal like conviction, for those times you are caught between tics of healing.

Another option is to take a shield power - I like using these with a self targeting bind to easily apply the shield to myself in-combat.

Beyond those, and if your concept allows for it, you could take Support Drones, the Primal Circle, or something similar...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A couple of things that can really help a Regen character are:

An active defense that reduces incoming damage long enough for your regen to restore your health. Masterful Dodge is probably the best options here.

Some means of surviving very high spikes of damage. Some options are:

1) Block. Most things that hit really hard have a tell and can be blocked.
    2) SS Constitution. If you have more health as a baseline you are more likely to be able to survive a heavy hit.
    3) Stack Dodge through primary defense gear and/or specializations, and powers.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    a decently high ranked unbreakable is an option, too. You're not blocking, so regen still ticks. just sit there and let them beat you to health. Odd, crazy, but it works. By the time the bubble dies, you're good again.

Eye of the storm is also great for this. Dual blade regen is underrated.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    To correct a possible misundertanding, it's not blocking which knocks down the Regeneration's rate, per se. It's when the incoming DPS which falls below a certain value which Blocking can do. But if you are taking a sufficient amount of sustained DPS, not even Blocking will reduce the regeneration rate.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You want to learn from Silverspar. As far as I know, she's made the most effective regen tank without overly specializing. You can play with the build outside of that pretty easily, particularly if you take Con as the primary which opens up many possibilities for damage.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2250431&highlight=regen#post2250431
  • hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    pion01 wrote: »
    You want to learn from Silverspar. As far as I know, she's made the most effective regen tank without overly specializing. You can play with the build outside of that pretty easily, particularly if you take Con as the primary which opens up many possibilities for damage.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2250431&highlight=regen#post2250431

Most Regen tanks I've seen, including Silverspar, favor STR as a primary for Juggernaut.
  • andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have a tank using Regeneration also.
    He is level 40. He has 400 def and 700 offense.
    I am using purple gear which is bought with silver champion recognition and having rank 6 mods.
    My SuperStats are : Strength/Constitution/Recovery.
    I have 11k hp.
    I am using resurgence as active offense. My regeneration heal 580 every 3 second. I am using Nanobot Swarm reduce the recharge time on my resurgence and it has the advantage to heal me 3k+hp. I make this mainly for PvE and the build is not for pvp. Devour Essence also heal myself while I am attacking.
    edited September 2012
    hubrix wrote: »
    Most Regen tanks I've seen, including Silverspar, favor STR as a primary for Juggernaut.

Indeed, I'm just sayin there's the option to switch it around, particularly with Con since it boosts your HP while also providing some synergy with powers to increase damage, including general SS boost from Unstop, and Nimble Mind for more crit, but really it can be anything. I just have crit on the brain, lately.
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm using Regen on one of my new characters, and I can tell you it's pretty good. When leveling, it's proved almost as survivable as Invuln, if not more in some situations, and I imagine that will only get better when I'm looking at a ton of other defenses on top of it at 40. Regen got buffed in more than one way during on Alert: They removed a large part of what made it bad in the high levels by giving the player readily available ways to stack some mitigation on top of it.

Note that, generally, if you're taking enough damage to require blocking, Regen doesn't ramp down practically at all. To be honest, they could remove that functionality and I don't think anyone would notice.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks everyone. I took California Jones, one of my L40 toons that was leveled up during the Anniversary Levelling Event, RetConned him, and have turned him into a Melee/Tank.

I took Con (228) as my PSS, with Str and Dex (both at 208) as my SSS (and used talents and a bit of gear to get Rec/End to the mid-50s). His Rank 3 Regeneration tooltip says it provides +576 HP, though I remember green tickts over 1k (that must be the Regen ramping up upon damage, right?).

I've got a decent Defense score (about 30% resistance) and a huge Dodge/Avoidance (around 45% on the former and 65% on the latter, as I recall). I like being a "dodge tank" since it fits his "martial arts" theme, it's a separate damage mitigation layer from Defense, and when combined with Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki) helps fill in any healing Regeneration misses, especially when I turn on Masterful Dodge.

I played him through a handful of Alerts and Unity Daily missions last night, using One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Challenging Strikes), Shurken Storm (Challenging Strikes, Floating Butterfly, Strong Arm), and Crashing Wave Kick (Subtlety of the Tides, Crippling Challenge) as my primary attacks. Wow! That was *SO* much fun. I would just dive right into mobs, start the Shruken Storm to gather everyone's attention, and wail.

I've seen higher damage output ticks on some of my other characters, but he did ok, and nothing ever really hurt Jones... I never had to touch Resurgence, for example (or his healing potions/Heroic Resonance). And there were times he was tanking multiple mobs in that Train Smash Alert. And best of all, his teammates could play mop up in (relative) safety, since near as I can figure, everyone was targetting Jones.

Good times. Good times.
    You want to learn from Silverspar. As far as I know, she's made the most effective regen tank without overly specializing...

Thanks for the info Pion. I have actually fought along side Silverspar in an Alert or two. And she's amazing, no doubt! I would love to see her build, but for some reason, I can never get that PowerHouse page to work for me... When I go to her link, for instance, all I see is this. :redface:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
    edited October 2012
    Heh, I can't see imgur links :tongue: but I know what you mean, I have trouble with it at times too. I'll see if I can screenshot it tonight.
    edited October 2012
    Heh, I can't see imgur links :tongue: but I know what you mean, I have trouble with it at times too. I'll see if I can screenshot it tonight.
    That would be great, thanks!
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Reason the link doesn't work is there is a 'bogus' power choice in the 3rd slot. Try this PowerHouse (Link to this build)

I reversed supernatural power and howl.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
    edited October 2012
    ventani wrote: »
    Reason the link doesn't work is there is a 'bogus' power choice in the 3rd slot. Try this PowerHouse (Link to this build)

I reversed supernatural power and howl.
    Thank you, but still doesn't work. When I click on your link I see the same thing (with exception of the address) as is pictured in post 15 above.

I don't know what it is/why I can't see it, but the Powerhouse doesn't work for me from my work computer (from which I took that picture, above), or my home computer (the machine I'm on now).

:confused:
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• xeirosxeiros Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Here you go. Now you can see it.

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Savage
    Level 6: Mighty
    Level 9: Enduring
    Level 12: Tireless
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Relentless
    Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Bestial Fury (Rip and Tear)
    Level 1: Shred (Penetrating Strikes, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Supernatural Power
    Level 8: Howl (Rank 2)
    Level 11: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Aspect of the Bestial
    Level 17: Resurgence
    Level 20: Massacre (Rank 2, Blood Mess)
    Level 23: Frenzy (Rank 2, Fear Sense, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 26: Pounce (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 29: Retaliation (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Masterful Dodge
    Level 38: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3, Versatility)
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
    edited October 2012
    Thank you, but still doesn't work. When I click on your link I see the same thing (with exception of the address) as is pictured in post 15 above.

I don't know what it is/why I can't see it, but the Powerhouse doesn't work for me from my work computer (from which I took that picture, above), or my home computer (the machine I'm on now).

:confused:

Doesn't show using IE, does show using Firefox. You should stop using IE :wink:

Formerly Aeolwind
    40 Count = 6
    edited October 2012
    xeiros wrote: »
    Name: Here you go. Now you can see it.
    Thank you xerios!
    ventani wrote: »
    Doesn't show using IE, does show using Firefox. You should stop using IE :wink:
    Browser thing, eh? I've tried FireFox (a year or so ago). I didn't like it. A couple of my friends rave about it, I gave it a good 2 week trial, and I didn't care for the "look and feel" of the browser. Just a matter of aesthetics...

:smile:
    jIBJh7X.jpg

edited October 2012
    Thank you xerios!

Browser thing, eh? I've tried FireFox (a year or so ago). I didn't like it. A couple of my friends rave about it, I gave it a good 2 week trial, and I didn't care for the "look and feel" of the browser. Just a matter of aesthetics...

:smile:

I can completely respect that.

Formerly Aeolwind
    40 Count = 6
  • ssholeroyssholeroy Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have been running a regen tank since I came back recently, and use THIS BUILD (Vlad) to great effect.

It's basically one of the more fun toons I have to play, although killing is slow (it's a tank) survivability is really high.

-r0y
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I use google chrome myself as my personal browser.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!