test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Litterary Challenge 26-Discussion Thread

kinster2kinster2 Posts: 53 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Fan Base Alpha
Feel free to link directly to the story you are commenting on. And always remember: We're not here to tear each other up. Don't flame, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their stories!

Hope you have fun!

Also, any ideas for future themes will be taken into consideration. Have fun!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey, hey, hey! I'm still alive! Anyway, I thought I could actually contribute to this one again. The story will feature more parts with actual fighting (and a plot twist) too.

Happy to be here again and excited to see all the stories, Kaufmann out.
  • sumthindarksidesumthindarkside Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    rexcelestis,

I really enjoy reading teen and kid heroes... especially boys. And even though I've read about a page into the fanfic... I can't help but notice...

Is Chance Gay, or is he seriously straight?

I don't mean to be offensive... But terms like handsome and chiseled, when refering from a first person view from a guy is quite disconcerting... (and I'm a very emtional, sensitive type, that is also bi curious) It's like Chance is oggling his schoolmate. And I had to remind myself that this was a male character.

It was just rather uncomfortable to read a guy talking like a girl in third person. And yeah, I do use a lot of those terms myself... in my head. That's my only real complaint that I have atm... And I do say that it's a fairly common mistake when people write the opposite gender.

When Guys write girls, or when girls write guys. It happens on both ends. if you are doing a POV story from a teenaged boy, then it's best to get it proofread by guys. Sandy hair? He's blond. Chiseled? he's buff. Guys and girls use a tremendously different lexicus of words, and it's like 2 different languages...
    edited September 2012
    Other than that small moment in the beginning when chance meets Theo, The fanfic is really well written, and has an excellent plot. other than the few moments where the gender pov seems a bit off, I really enjoyed it. Would like to read more about Kid harrier.
  • rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the commentary, sumthindarkside. I'm not offended at all. In fact, it's refreshing to receive constructive criticism.

I find these insights very interesting. Of my stable of characters, Chance is likely the most straight and, if I may confess, vanilla. I'm also male, myself, but apparently in touch with my feminine side. :)

It's difficult to discuss this story with complete certainly. I started writing this back in 2008, finishing more than six months later. I believe I went with that choice of language to convey a sense of fashion magazine, cover model good looks. I also tried to use more descriptive language, something that reflected Chance's intelligence and vocabulary.

If you're interested in something a bit more recent, let me suggest taking a look at my wiki at RexCelestis.net.

Thanks again. Good stuff to keep in mind.
    edited September 2012
    Ah okay. Gotcha. I could tell some parts seemed more feminine and some felt much more awkward.

And yeah, it was a good description... I think it's more the delivery that was awkward. But hey... you can't learn without making a few mistakes... and let's face it. I'm really in touch with my feminine side. Always have been.

Getting into the character's shoes can be tricky. If I were to write a more Jockish type of guy who is into sports... How do I go into that? I don't like sports!

And yeah, the time skip of the writing can be seen... now I gotta decide which of my characters to put through an injury like this...
  • kinster2kinster2 Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    any ideas for the next challenge?
    edited September 2012
    Well we got options. Alerts, Origins revisited, How the public views the hero... there's lots we can do...
    edited September 2012
    Just read the story with Jane Archer... I don't know what it is about her, but it makes me in the mood to write Super Sentai...

Well done. I like the story, and is curious where that will lead her.
    edited September 2012
    i always wanted to do a story involving the person who originally put her in a wheelchair when she was a kid. Her uncle despised both her and her brother. But as the only surviving members due to the fact jane and jax has pretty much wiped out their family hes desperate to revive it. at the time jane is about 18 so she can have a kid she just doesnt want to get romantically involved because of emils betrayl if u remember from the romances challenge
    edited September 2012
    btw i will extend the challenge another week for those that still want to contribute and i can wait for super sentai's
  • miragewolfmiragewolf Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There... my little random story. I figured I'd try and write it from the point of view of the minions we're always knocking around... Poor guys get beaten down so often after all... :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thought I'd put up Black Jack Williams' near death battle, that just so happens to be the closest thing to an origin story he's got.