test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mega-Destroid Thread Central

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
FAQ threads -- can't get enough of 'em. Share your battle stories here when the Mega-Destroid invasion begins tomorrow!

-The Mega-Destroids will spawn every hour... I believe at X:07.
-Six will spawn around the Champions HQ.

More answers will be posted as more questions come in.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Any chance we can get the odds on the summon drops? The perma ones in particular?

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ods are you getting a perma summon drop is about same as getting christmas present in June. Very, very slim chance. But it might happen.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • aetharburnaetharburn Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What do they drop?
    I've seen no mention of the items :/

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality."
  • aetharburnaetharburn Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Oooh, tiny print.
    Thanks for the clarification!

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality."
    The Backup device summons a Champion of its name (Defender, Witchcraft, Ironclad, Kinetic, Sapphire or Nighthawk) for 15 seconds. Its got a usually long cool down of around 15 minutes. Bind on Equip. It can be used either 3 times or you get the rare unlimited version.

And its probably as rare to get as Dark Aura was, but since enough players are going to do it you'll find them floating around.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Ods are you getting a perma summon drop is about same as getting christmas present in June. Very, very slim chance. But it might happen.

*looks in bank*

I still have them. And snowballs. :D

And crypticbuxom, they're on a 30 minute cooldown AFAIK (reduced by Int and Cooldown Reduction as usual).
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have really enjoyed the expanded anniversary event and look forward to smashing some Mega D's! Crossing my fingers for a perma Kinetik.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,618 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    When you defeat a Mega-Destroid, one of the pieces of loot they might drop is a Champions summon

Despite the website announcement, I guess we don't get a chance at a drop for every Mega D we defeat. Looks like I might barely get just one set if I'm lucky or don't mind emptying my entire bank.
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For drops,I'm not exactly sure if this was mean't to be in it,but I got a become black talon from that box,and so far I believe its unlimited,not sure but it said nothing on a time limit,but it appears in the blue rarity category.
  • solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just and FYI from a minute ago:

[Zone #2] <Dev> Drannic@Drannic: I apologize for no warning. But turning off the event ASAP to avoid any further issues that we are getting reports on.

Yeah...the disappeared in mid fight . No big though. Hope it gets worked out.
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I honestly feel bad for the Devs.

Here they tried to create a really special anniversary event and it has just become one huge hassle. I know they are trying, and I know they would like us to have a fun event.

But at this point i'm not sure its really worth all the headaches. Especially for something that is simply going to be a limited time one off event.

A+ for effort guys, honestly and seriously. This one event has had more testing and fixes then any other content I can remember. But its just not working out.
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    At this point they should cut their loses and move on.

Personally TOO MUCH time has been spent on this anniversary celebration.

What, haven't we been celebrating for like 2 weeks now?

So when are we going to hear about new zones or other new content?

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Looks like a missed all the buggy fun :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,618 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have to admit that I set an entire day off to farm for this event. And even though I enjoy it I must say that this is the worst drop rate I have ever seen. More so than Therkiel's Sword, Dark Speed and Valerian's costume pieces. Especially since this is a limited event and the chance to get these after will be gone forever.

32 chance boxes. Green secondaries every time.

The purples do drop for people, but its even worse that we have more terrible items than good ones. Much much more terrible items. This would be understandable if these were Bound to Account. I was really hoping for it since its a special event and having to get all 6 for each character is tedious. I didn't even get a limited use device.

I should just attribute it to my bad luck but a factor of chance doesn't seem to be very likely considering that only 1 purple device drops per 100 players. There is some chance factor, true, but I'm led to believe that there is also a limit set in place to prevent how many are handed out through chance boxes every period of time or number opened. Like the stackers machine in an arcade.
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I got a Become Destroid Command Leader Robot (GIVE IT R3 INVULN PLEASE, OK AND THANK YOU) and a few green secondaries and two blue primaries, often scoring on top of the charts due to Soldiers being amazing.

Me during the Destroid event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixdx8kAQWr8&t=0m35s

The drops aren't the real prize. It's all that glorious retcon-making, costume changing, AH-buying MONEY.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »
    I got a Become Destroid Command Leader Robot (GIVE IT R3 INVULN PLEASE, OK AND THANK YOU) and a few green secondaries and two blue primaries, often scoring on top of the charts due to Soldiers being amazing.

Me during the Destroid event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixdx8kAQWr8&t=0m35s

The drops aren't the real prize. It's all that glorious retcon-making, costume changing, AH-buying MONEY.

if you win a perma device I will give you MONEY for it:biggrin:
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »

Agreed. Although it's more costume changing for me than anything else as I still have free retcons all over. :D

That said, in about 10-12 boxes or so, I ended up with a Become Destroid Bot, a Become Black Talon, and a 3-use Summon Ironclad. So I really can't complain.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    [Combat (Self)] Mega-Destroid deals 15229 (110664) Particle Damage to you with Destroyer Blast.

Ok, I really do think this is taking things just a little bit too far. (that's through a block.)

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think the event and drops are fine, after the initial glitches have been repaired. My only real quibble is the bags that appear to give nothing with no messaging.

After completing it about 5 times so far, the rewards overall seem very good compared to the time needed/challenge level.

Thanks for your efforts, Cryptic team!
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    rapierwhip wrote: »
    [Combat (Self)] Mega-Destroid deals 15229 (110664) Particle Damage to you with Destroyer Blast.

Ok, I really do think this is taking things just a little bit too far. (that's through a block.)

Ya, my best character has 4,700hp as a level 39 unleashed. I take 17k if I miss the block and take between 3.7k and 7.2k if I successfully block. And I have my block upgraded to level 3.

I spend a lot of time running back from respawn. It's not very fun.
    edited September 2012
    Ya, my best character has 4,700hp as a level 39 unleashed. I take 17k if I miss the block and take between 3.7k and 7.2k if I successfully block. And I have my block upgraded to level 3.

I spend a lot of time running back from respawn. It's not very fun.

Yes, I have noticed the following pattern from anyone not built specifically for extreme survivability: Run into range. Fire off two or three attacks. Suffer 10 to 20 times your health total from an AOE, even if you block. Respawn. Activate whatever toggles or travel powers you may want to use. Try to get back into the fight asap. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This is the exact pattern that people who have been calling for more challenging content have been saying that they want to avoid.

ETA: I've stopped blocking due to this. I'm going to die anyway and I can typically get off one or two more attacks if I just don't bother. Is this your intended playstyle, Devs?

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, rapier, none of my characters are "built for extreme survivability" - they're all ATs - but I have found something that works for me:

Happifun is an Invincible, with Jetpack Flight. Hover just out of range of the M-Ds' massive attacks, target the same one everybody else is, open up with Minigun and Micro Munitions, then wait for the energy bar to refill. Lather, rinse, repeat. Provided that I watch my range, I can get through an entire fight without dropping. Of course, he's also only Lvl 32, so I have to depend on some 40s being there to do the serious damage...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited September 2012
    Stay behind others, Mega D's attacks have only certain number of targets. And no, you're not hiding behind others, you're using tactics. :biggrin:
    Keep eye on the other not targeted one and keep away from his attacks.
    Usually attacking behind Mega D's is the best position.
    Be aware how combat flows. Pick your position.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is the exact pattern that people who have been calling for more challenging content have been saying that they want to avoid.

Yep. *raises hand as having been one of those people calling for more challenging content*

I seem to specifically said the better mechanisms are in larger numbers of weaker foes, increase the reward and penalty for staying alive, and combat mechanics that make you have to think creatively (think of some of the good old game bosses).

There's nothing "creative" about a guaranteed instant-death if you can't do anything about it! An attack that is a mandatory block is ok (i.e.: Therakiel, Teleiosaurus, Valerian, anybody who uses lifedrain, etc.), but if the only survival move is to play a tank or not participate, then what's the point?! It's also the opposite of encouraging players to stay alive. It's teaching players that you have to just fling your body at the enemy enough times to win. That's dumb gameplay design.

Dying should be bad, mmk? :wink:

Who the heck is making these gameplay balance decisions these days anyways? Gentleman Crush?
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, rapier, none of my characters are "built for extreme survivability" - they're all ATs - but I have found something that works for me:

Happifun is an Invincible, with Jetpack Flight. Hover just out of range of the M-Ds' massive attacks, target the same one everybody else is, open up with Minigun and Micro Munitions, then wait for the energy bar to refill. Lather, rinse, repeat. Provided that I watch my range, I can get through an entire fight without dropping. Of course, he's also only Lvl 32, so I have to depend on some 40s being there to do the serious damage...
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Stay behind others, Mega D's attacks have only certain number of targets. And no, you're not hiding behind others, you're using tactics. :biggrin:
    Keep eye on the other not targeted one and keep away from his attacks.
    Usually attacking behind Mega D's is the best position.
    Be aware how combat flows. Pick your position.

Those both sound great... for anyone not running a melee toon. If you are a melee DPS...

• secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I have noticed the following pattern from anyone not built specifically for extreme survivability: Run into range. Fire off two or three attacks. Suffer 10 to 20 times your health total from an AOE, even if you block. Respawn. Activate whatever toggles or travel powers you may want to use. Try to get back into the fight asap. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

ETA: I've stopped blocking due to this. I'm going to die anyway and I can typically get off one or two more attacks if I just don't bother. Is this your intended playstyle, Devs?

You don't necessarily have to build for high survivability. The problem is the content is being tailored to specific build types, and completely ignoring the impact on a large part of the population.

I personally have plenty of 40s, and my soldier gets brought out these days specifically for things like this.

But, what about the folks with just a few high level chars, or maybe even just one? Running a melee brawler with minimal self-healing (if any at all), enjoy your frequent deaths. Oh, you've got an inferno that can only engage effectively in 50 ft range? Enjoy your frequent deaths. Hey, you've got a concept character? You'll probably be dying frequently too.

I rarely die during these events, but unlike some folks who clamor things aren't tough enough or challenging enough, I at least know what the game experience is like when I'm not running my "uber" builds. Dying regularly simply for choosing to play a melee (or short range) hero makes little sense to me.
    edited September 2012
    Well, everything in my post could work for melee toon, except stay behind others. Wish that you're not included to the target numbers of Mega D's big bad attack. And use Block. And have fast feet. And maybe find a big gun. :biggrin:
    edited September 2012
    Those both sound great... for anyone not running a melee toon. If you are a melee DPS...

This might sound cruel. But its not intended. I simply believe that not every bit of content is designed to be suitable to every character type and play style.

This is one instance were squishy melee DPS types really will struggle. The up coming flying fortress will be a mission that is going to be hard on non-flyers. 2 minute smashes really arnt the best place for low damage dedicated healers.

This is a game with a heavy focus on alts. Ideally, one should find or create an alt best suited for the content rather then trying to struggle, forcing a square peg into a round hole.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    This might sound cruel. But its not intended. I simply believe that not every bit of content is designed to be suitable to every character type and play style.

This is one instance were squishy melee DPS types really will struggle. The up coming flying fortress will be a mission that is going to be hard on non-flyers. 2 minute smashes really arnt the best place for low damage dedicated healers.

This is a game with a heavy focus on alts. Ideally, one should find or create an alt best suited for the content rather then trying to struggle, forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Theres no upvote button..gah

Essentially mega destroid is the same as fighting Gigaton or whats his face zombie viking dude. Neither of them can be fully effective unless the thing theyre targeting is on the ground, hes got a wide cone, an aoe CC and a 1 hitter quitter aoe smash, all of which scream to anyone fighting him to "use a ranged tank, and dps behind his back". And even though my melee character is a devastator and can't even really do this phase, my other character is an inventor and loves this phase but hates the first phase.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I fully agree.

The Mega-Ds are simply too tough for some builds, and most others need very specific tactics to win.

So you can't win by spamming an attack while standing still and blocking once in awhile. So what? That strategy gets you through 90% of this game. I am glad that there are a few parts of the game that require strategy, and the strategy has to be figured out after failing a few times.

Please don't make another super-easy, auto-win fight/event.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited September 2012
    So what you are saying is that it is impossible to make a challenging event that doesn't include one hit kills? If so, I got a bridge to sell ya. Cheap. I'll even help you set up a payment plan. and I have this sweet deal on some ocean-front property in Kansas with a unicorn ranch in the back.

• twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Said it before, said it again: A single Ultra Destroyer making its way across town. If it makes it to Ren Cen, it blows up like the nuke in the desert. You failed.

I would say that this game used to have more of a focus on alts. With the inclusion of a tiered gear grind (optional) this seems to be less the case. It seems wrong somehow to design the game so that someone who has farmed hundreds of hours (or spent hundreds of dollars) to get a main character geared up needs to leave that character in storage in order to fully participate in the game's newer content.

I dont have a problem with one hit kills in and of themselves. I have recently played a game where such are not all that uncommon, but where the player has access to a tool that, if used skillfully, guarantees he will survive the hit.

I think that if BLOCK had a mechanism that limited the maximum damage you could take from a single hit while it was up (and the limit could be modified by rank) it could help this sort of situation immensely.

What if a incoming damage from a single hit was limited to a maximum of 99% of your health total while blocking with a rank 1 block, 75% of your total health at rank 2, and 50% at rank 3 ?

If the combination of other defenses would reduce the damage below the listed percentages you take the lower number.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How about units of a cple hundred troopers, destroids, gunbots, leader drones and anhialator bots marching along the streets killing citizens, with a running total of citizens lost in the top corner of the screen, while more of these plus mega ds attack key points like champs building, until, ren centre...

THATs what id call an invasion!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Where did Drifters Salvage go, I don't want to do this for stupid green stuff. >.<
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So what you are saying is that it is impossible to make a challenging event that doesn't include one hit kills? If so, I got a bridge to sell ya. Cheap. I'll even help you set up a payment plan. and I have this sweet deal on some ocean-front property in Kansas with a unicorn ranch in the back.

Actually that's probably true. Because any freeform can include self-healing, they kinda through difficulty out the window.

But yeah, right now, the only "idea of difficulty" I've seen isn't actual difficulty - all I see is punishment to players who choose a particular playstyle. Maybe they want more people to buy jets. And while some of us can alternate characters, people shouldn't expect everyone in the community to have a large roster of characters.

I'd like to see pve to feel almost as challenging as pvp, then maybe certain folks wouldn't cry out for nerfs everytime the player base finds an effective counter. Of course, if most of the folks would just actively pvp, they'd get more challenge than they could handle.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some builds can't do Mega D worth a darn.

Likewise, some builds can't handle PvP, especially top-tier.

Most builds can't solo lairs (but some can).

Some builds can skip through long missions to simply beat the boss at the end.

Don't use the "fake difficulty" argument when the game has so many options. Not all characters are good in all situations.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • bashannubashannu Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some builds can't do Mega D worth a darn.

Likewise, some builds can't handle PvP, especially top-tier.

Most builds can't solo lairs (but some can).

Some builds can skip through long missions to simply beat the boss at the end.

Don't use the "fake difficulty" argument when the game has so many options. Not all characters are good in all situations.

It's perfectly reasonable that not every character can be powerful in all aspects of the game. But to say that not every character can even participate in an event due to that event's design is taking that concept to an unwise extreme in my opinion.
    edited September 2012
    bashannu wrote: »
    It's perfectly reasonable that not every character can be powerful in all aspects of the game. But to say that not every character can even participate in an event due to that event's design is taking that concept to an unwise extreme in my opinion.

I agree. I never said anyone shouldn't be able to participate. Only that if you choose to do so, your experience might be less then positive. I was, in fact, responding to a posters frustrations. Not everyone in the same situation is going to have the same frustrations. Some might even be happy at the additional challenge. But they are going in aware of what they are in for.

My suggestion was simply rather then change the content. Adjust how you choose to engage the content.
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree. I never said anyone shouldn't be able to participate. Only that if you choose to do so, your experience might be less then positive. I was, in fact, responding to a posters frustrations. Not everyone in the same situation is going to have the same frustrations. Some might even be happy at the additional challenge. But they are going in aware of what they are in for.

My suggestion was simply rather then change the content. Adjust how you choose to engage the content.

Or don't bother with the event or any events at all.

If events can't be properly balanced, I won't bother.

There's that.

Personally I'd prefer if they spent less time on events and alerts and more times building new zones, missions, stories, etc.

Luckily I have other games to play that do focus on that.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool: