test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggested mission trajectory for new players?

oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
So I just got to level 13 on my free form character, and I've been noticing a sort of lack in direction when it comes to stuff to do. I'm strictly playing solo until I become fully acquainted with the game.

For a while there I was following what appeared to be a main quest line, full of awesomely tacky voice acting, and a clear path from mission to mission and contact to contact. After a while though, my mission chain kind of ran out; I've been going through the crime computer, looking for suitable stuff to solo.

I'm really looking forward to getting to level 25 so I can start with the nemesis thing. That seems like a lot of fun.

In the meantime though, I've tried a couple of Defender's missions in the crime computer, and they just seem kind of gated to me. The objectives are kind of hard on the first one to comfortably solo (the one with the 'Griz' guy) and on the second one (the wintery one,) the map system's flaws really show. The first objective asked me to go somewhere, but I didn't know where it meant. As always in this game (probably my biggest gripe) I opened up my map, but there were no locations specified.

I've found a couple of contact missions that were suitable on the computer, but quite a few appeared to be in different zones. I don't know where the train is either, in order to switch zones and whatnot, and I refer back to my map complaints for that one. Plus, the missions don't seem to direct me to any sort of transit- I tried to make some of them my primary task, and the arrow didn't point me to the train. The mission just showed up red, like it was mad at me or something.

So anyways. If anyone has a sort of comprehensive list of suggestions for comfortably leveling solo at my own pace without running out of engaging things to do, that'd be great. Also, if you could help me out with some of my issues, that'd be cool too.

Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by oneheadedboy on

Comments

• Options
    ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So I just got to level 13 on my free form character, and I've been noticing a sort of lack in direction when it comes to stuff to do. I'm strictly playing solo until I become fully acquainted with the game.

For a while there I was following what appeared to be a main quest line, full of awesomely tacky voice acting, and a clear path from mission to mission and contact to contact. After a while though, my mission chain kind of ran out; I've been going through the crime computer, looking for suitable stuff to solo.

I'm really looking forward to getting to level 25 so I can start with the nemesis thing. That seems like a lot of fun.

In the meantime though, I've tried a couple of Defender's missions in the crime computer, and they just seem kind of gated to me. The objectives are kind of hard on the first one to comfortably solo (the one with the 'Griz' guy) and on the second one (the wintery one,) the map system's flaws really show. The first objective asked me to go somewhere, but I didn't know where it meant. As always in this game (probably my biggest gripe) I opened up my map, but there were no locations specified.

I've found a couple of contact missions that were suitable on the computer, but quite a few appeared to be in different zones. I don't know where the train is either, in order to switch zones and whatnot, and I refer back to my map complaints for that one. Plus, the missions don't seem to direct me to any sort of transit- I tried to make some of them my primary task, and the arrow didn't point me to the train. The mission just showed up red, like it was mad at me or something.

So anyways. If anyone has a sort of comprehensive list of suggestions for comfortably leveling solo at my own pace without running out of engaging things to do, that'd be great. Also, if you could help me out with some of my issues, that'd be cool too.

Thanks!

the defender missions are repeatable quest lines. kind of like city of heroes task forces. they are not primary quest lines. (you will note the green exclamation marker)

actual story quests are yellow exclamation markers

the lower level mish that you get will lead you to kodiak (which i assume you have completed).

when his mish are done you will be sent to chief surhoff at the prison and HE in turn will send you to a newsreporter lady lol (cant remember what her name is.. only done her mish a hundred times or so... wtf brain)

when you are finished both of thier mish lines you should be at or around level 15 or so. at that point you will be able to go to either canadian crisis OR desert crisis at the HELICOPTER beside the airplane... personally i prefer the desert. its a funner time and nicer looking environment.

the following link will also point you in the right direction if you get lost again.

oh and btw the PLANE not the TRAIN lol is just outside of ren center. you will see the little plane symbol on the minimap whenyou hit the M key

have fun! and good hunting!:biggrin::cool:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Mission_Level_Locations
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • Options
    rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My suggestion is to complete the Westside storyline with the end of that storyline, you will get three missions: One that will take you through a tutorial of the fusion and modification systems and one each for the Desert and Canada Crises. The end of those Crises will introduce you to new contacts and with new mission arcs.

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Defender to Kodiak, Kodiak to the Chief, the Chief to Julie Morgan, Julie Morgan to a series of her Contacts, Back to the Chief, off to the Desert and Canada. All throughout this you should be checking Socrates for level Appropriate missions and keeping an eye out for Exploration missions (those yellow ! missions that have to be found while wondering around rather than being sent to them). And if all else fails, you can ALWAYS get Help A Citizen missions by rescuing random people from random Mobs.

Something to keep in mind here is that in Champs, Levels are only a rough guide to how difficult things are. As you get a bit of experience you will find that one or two levels either way of your character means little in terms of difficulty. So if you have a Mission or two that are a level above you, don't worry! They are very doable.
    Hope this helps.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Do you generally do Canada missions and Desert missions on the same character? Or will concentrating on one (or one plus Millennium City) be enough to get you through those levels?
  • Options
    dragonblueydragonbluey Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling toward level 40.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Save citizens in danger, stockpile "Help a Citizen" missions.
    There's a gap where you won't get any at level 16.
    I use my stockpile and finish up Westside then.
    Or you can head for Canada Crises at the helicopter. Desert Disaster as well.
    Or just push into City Center and start running the level 18 missions
    as soon as you can get them (around level 15) along with Help A Citizen glory.

Have fun. Team up before learning the whole game!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I typically do both the Desert and Canada Crisies. I just like the missions and stories and it is a nice way to get a bit of a leg up on the rest of the game. It is far from necessary, however.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just thinking about this. I don't know if it is one of those Vet Reward things, the fact that I seldom if ever die at low levels, that I tend to pick a lot of fights as I go along, or that I am very careful to get every mission from every Contact and I know where the Exploration missions are, but I never encounter this "Gap" I keep hearing about. If anything I am usually a couple of levels ABOVE what is required for the two Crisies. I don't think I have done a Help A Citizen mission in a good two years and I never run out of Level Appropriate stuff to do.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Also, when you're doing missions for Julie Morgan, there are a couple in the same area for Chief Surhoff (the Cobra Lords recruiting unwilling fighters in the gym, then taking down the Cobra Belligerents near the comic-book stuff, then Fight Club). Getting the info from Frazetti's computer will open up several missions that can be run simultaneously in the docks area; if you can make it through the ping-pong-ball mission from Julie (easiest if you have a Flying power, because then you can hover over the balls instead of tripping on them), Julie sends you after Foxbat at the TV studio. Run "Rescue the Researchers" from Surhoff; when you leave the sewers, you'll be near the studio, as well as near a SOCRATES terminal where you can turn in "Rescue the Researchers" and get another docks-area mission. Then you can take a minute to kick Foxy's butt, and set about all the stuff at the docks, by the end of which you'll be at least 13th lvl, and ready to go take down "Ludwig". After "Ludwig" is down, you'll be ready to take on the mission where all the gang leaders are breaking out of prison (watch the two gangs coming from either side when you first enter! AoE attacks are your friend!), then you'll go stop the Death Dragon, then you'll probably be 15 and ready to go to the Desert and/or Canada...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bellesorcierebellesorciere Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just leveled a character up to 25, and I had far more missions than I could actually do in the proper level range before outleveling them. It's pretty nice.

I actually wonder how things are up the 30s, as I recall running out of missions several times on the way to 40, and grinding my way through 39 on Empyrean Constructs three years ago. Given Vibora Bay and repeatables, I expect it won't be an issue.
  • Options
    pugdaddypugdaddy Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    valasqua wrote: »
    Do you generally do Canada missions and Desert missions on the same character? Or will concentrating on one (or one plus Millennium City) be enough to get you through those levels?

Generally it's one or the other. I prefer Canada because it's slightly easier and contains more missions in the same areas.

The Desert is more challenging because some of the enemies have a 100' range attacks and they can mob you.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This is all great, thanks everyone. I've still been spending most of my gaming time on COH but I'm really loving this game. I will be referring to all this info next time I play. I'm thinking of rerolling my guy so I'll be able to start fresh, and I got some good powers advice for free form in the builds section too that I look forward to trying out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just leveled a character up to 25, and I had far more missions than I could actually do in the proper level range before outleveling them. It's pretty nice.

I actually wonder how things are up the 30s, as I recall running out of missions several times on the way to 40, and grinding my way through 39 on Empyrean Constructs three years ago. Given Vibora Bay and repeatables, I expect it won't be an issue.

There's a dry spot between lvl 30 and lvl 35. If you miss the breadcrumb missions it can be a pain. But generally if you take everything thrown at you you should squeak through.
    edited September 2012
    valasqua wrote: »

Sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both. It depends on whether I am bored with one or the other for any given alt. My main still has the desert crisis available, for instance. There is no requirement to complete them both, although there are perks for defeating the end boss of the crises.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »
    There's a dry spot between lvl 30 and lvl 35. If you miss the breadcrumb missions it can be a pain. But generally if you take everything thrown at you you should squeak through.

You doing anything on Monster Island? Maybe it's because I mix Smashes in, but when I get to Monster Island at lvl 30, I don't have to leave till I hit the sweet pay dirt of 40.
  • Options
    kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just got to Monster Island for the first time on my shiny new lv30something character, and I feel like the game hasn't really been that good about telling me where to go at what level so far. This is probably compounded by the Alert system making me outlevel missions really rapidly(but it's soooo eeeeeasy, i cannot help myself).

So I'm going to be sticking with that place up through lv40 most likely? I don't mind this, I just want to make sure I'm where I'm supposed to be. Being able to not worry about seeing everything the first time through has been kind of nice, since I'll be able to point my next character towards Vibora Bay or something when they get to that level range and it'll be all new to me again.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2012

This really isn't true any longer.

Between Canada, Lemuria, Monster Island, Nemesis missions, and now with Alerts, there's simply no way you can run out of stuff to do.

But even on my first 40, which was created during the head start days, I made it to 40 without running into a lack of missions to do from lvl 1-40. That was long before Viboria Bay let alone alerts. Yes it took doing everything, including looking for some missions. But this gap never really existed, not if you tried to look for stuff to do.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So I'm going to be sticking with that place up through lv40 most likely?

At that stage there's 3 places you can go.

Monster Island will take you from 30 to 40. Lemuria will be good for 34-40 and Vibora Bay is good for 37-40.

I'd highly recommend trying VB at least the Crisis when you get to that level.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    Yes it took doing everything, including looking for some missions...
    Thanks for taking what I wrote and writing it again in a different way.
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for taking what I wrote and writing it again in a different way.

No, what you said is actually quite different, and I have to wonder if you even bothered to read my post.

Even in the very early days of CO it wasn't that hard to find enough to do, and you did not simply squeak by. My first 40 never did a single mission that was over his level, and it wasn't really that much work to find enough content to get from 30 to 35.

This so called content gap from 30-35 was a myth back then and is even more a of a myth now. It was proven time, and time again back in the early days that the gap didn't exist unless you skipped over stuff.

That said, your statement is completely and utterly wrong now days. They've added a ton more content to that range, and if anyone gets stuck in the 30-35 range it's because they are skipping over a fair amount of stuff, stuff that is for the most part pretty hard to miss.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    At that stage there's 3 places you can go.

Monster Island will take you from 30 to 40. Lemuria will be good for 34-40 and Vibora Bay is good for 37-40.

I'd highly recommend trying VB at least the Crisis when you get to that level.

Canada has a nice selection of 32-38(ish) missions available from the Constable along with the Bigfoot mission arc.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Canada has a nice selection of 32-38(ish) missions available from the Constable along with the Bigfoot mission arc.

I thought I remembered doing some in the mid to late 30's. But according to the Wiki Canada ends around 36.
  • Options
    bellesorcierebellesorciere Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No, what you said is actually quite different, and I have to wonder if you even bothered to read my post.

Even in the very early days of CO it wasn't that hard to find enough to do, and you did not simply squeak by. My first 40 never did a single mission that was over his level, and it wasn't really that much work to find enough content to get from 30 to 35.

This so called content gap from 30-35 was a myth back then and is even more a of a myth now. It was proven time, and time again back in the early days that the gap didn't exist unless you skipped over stuff.

That said, your statement is completely and utterly wrong now days. They've added a ton more content to that range, and if anyone gets stuck in the 30-35 range it's because they are skipping over a fair amount of stuff, stuff that is for the most part pretty hard to miss.

No, the content gap did exist in the first couple of months after the day one patch reduced XP rewards so that existing content was no longer sufficient to get one all the way to 40.

I took two characters through 30-35 and used the guides pointing out where every mission was and I still hit dry spots where I had to grind mobs to get to the next tier. I didn't skip over stuff. I used open missions, scoured zones for exclamation marks, and did everything I could to get the XP to level up.

The content gap no longer exists because there's plenty to do and plenty of repeatable content just in case, but it did exist for a time.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I thought I remembered doing some in the mid to late 30's. But according to the Wiki Canada ends around 36.

The WIKI is probably right.
    Most likely I was around level 38 when I finished the arc the last time I did it, but the missions themselves were only level 36.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    No, the content gap did exist in the first couple of months after the day one patch reduced XP rewards so that existing content was no longer sufficient to get one all the way to 40.

I took two characters through 30-35 and used the guides pointing out where every mission was and I still hit dry spots where I had to grind mobs to get to the next tier. I didn't skip over stuff. I used open missions, scoured zones for exclamation marks, and did everything I could to get the XP to level up.

The content gap no longer exists because there's plenty to do and plenty of repeatable content just in case, but it did exist for a time.

Yeah, this is the reason that they originally put the dreaded "Socrates Spam" missions in. It was to fill a content gap at around level 22.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    So this time around I found myself with a wealth of missions. I ended up going to the Desert at level 13ish up until 17. I have more stuff to do there, but the enemies are a couple of levels higher than me, and I wanted to check out Canada anyways. I just got started there a little bit ago, even though I haven't finished all of the desert yet. I guess I'm a cheater. >.>

I wanted to take in a large amount of scenery though. So far I am digging both of these zones overall but Millennium City seems better designed to me, or at least more appealing to my taste. Either way I'm having a ton of fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    No, the content gap did exist in the first couple of months after the day one patch reduced XP rewards...

Sorry but I distinctly remember seeing a ton of posts about this content gap, and in every case even during the first few weeks, it was found that everyone who had issues with it, had missed something. I don't remember running into any issues on my first 40, who was created in the head start.

Regardless of what happened in the first 3-4 moths of the game. The idea that such a content gap exists now is simply and completely untrue.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The content gap was very exaggerated (but they could use new content both then and now). Are we raising the dead horse again? Let me go get some beatin' sticks!
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So this time around I found myself with a wealth of missions. I ended up going to the Desert at level 13ish up until 17. I have more stuff to do there, but the enemies are a couple of levels higher than me, and I wanted to check out Canada anyways. I just got started there a little bit ago, even though I haven't finished all of the desert yet. I guess I'm a cheater. >.>

I wanted to take in a large amount of scenery though. So far I am digging both of these zones overall but Millennium City seems better designed to me, or at least more appealing to my taste. Either way I'm having a ton of fun.

There are enough missions in each zone individually to get you to monster island/level 30. If you stay in Millenium city and never go to either the desert or canada, there are escorts, repeatable missions for random rescues, socrates local emergencies, Kinetic's arc, Silverback's Dr Destroyer Arc, Kinetic's Arc aimed at Argent, Silver Avenger's Gadroon invaders with illusion devices, Witchcraft's arc for the DEMON gates in downtown, and there's a viper arc I still haven't done because I was level 35 by the time I discovered it. All of these are between levels 12 and 30 if I recall.

Canada and the desert each have more missions than you can finish and remain in their level range. I start out 1 level lower than the missions and end 4 levels over them if I never do alerts and never leave the zone except to bank stuff or visit the Auction House.

Once you get over 20 in Millenium City then you have the massive exp from the lemurian ambush on the ambasador repeats every 30 seconds event out in the far east of the map. The Elder Worms missions, some other more random stuff. I haven't found it all yet and I keep outlevelling it.

By the way, in Westside, did everyone discover the mission for pulling people out of a burning building? No villains, just save people. I love that one and it's totally hidden away.

So if you like Millenium City, there's no actual NEED to visit the other zones to level up.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've never run into gaps but I've only been playing for about 10 months.
    I do MIll City till 16, skip to desert to 20, canada to about 28-29 , Monster Island, down the east side a, around the bottom, up the west side adn across the top for the rest. If I run out at the top I go to lemuria for the pirate missions or Vibora Bay to beat up on undead.

Ands don't worry about having to beat up on things a few levels above you, I've foun d unless they are 4 or more over you they aren't a problem. I have PvE "I wonder what this does " builds.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is the reason that they originally put the dreaded "Socrates Spam" missions in. It was to fill a content gap at around level 22.

This has been discussed repeatedly, there was never a gap. Sure, there were times when you had only a few missions of your level left, but at no time in the history of CO was there an actual gap, during which you were forced to do missions higher than your level. The only issue was that some mission chains were not signposted enough. However, nowadays this is no longer a major issue.
    The content gap was very exaggerated (but they could use new content both then and now). Are we raising the dead horse again? Let me go get some beatin' sticks!

This.
    By the way, in Westside, did everyone discover the mission for pulling people out of a burning building? No villains, just save people. I love that one and it's totally hidden away.

So if you like Millenium City, there's no actual NEED to visit the other zones to level up.

There are few of those individual missions if you look carefully. These include the old cat lady from the tutorial, who grants another mission in MC, you get to escort a cop on his rounds near the prison, Argent are about to throw someone off a roof as well and I am sure there are a few contacts in MC concerning Argent and PSI that you are not directed to, or at least you weren't before.

Also, it is very easy to delete a mission that tells you to go to a contact in another area, because you don't have enough empty mission slots. Consequently, when you are meant to change zones, you forget. For example, it is very easy to miss the high level content in Canada. The simple solution is if you find yourself short of missions, check the crime computer.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Off the top of my head. Theres also in the far NE corner of MC ( Psi-land) an escort and an open mission to save some recruits from Psi. Also, in the Park, the open mission to defeat the Bear (Hungry like the wolf I think) but I think you have to be at least level 17 for that to be offered.

Isn't there a open Viper mission in City Center? Something about a mutagen or something? Only did it once.

The Contact Michael Scott Beck gives 3 missions. One is to get info from 2 couriers. But theres a 3rd that will come out of the building which drops a mission ( a very simple quick one) "Island Invitation".

I'll jump to the Desert real quick. Theres a Contact-Fredrick Grasse at the base of the prison off to the side at a broken door. I found him once when I started this game and forgot all about him till recently and saw him again. It was one of those moments- ohhh I remember you:tongue:. Can't say that I've ever been directed to him. If theres a mission I miss it every time.

For someone new click on all the Lore glowies. Not only will you learn about some lore but its free Exp.

As some have said theres lots of little hidden missions all about you just have to keep your eyes open.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    stratluver wrote: »
    Isn't there a open Viper mission in City Center? Something about a mutagen or something? Only did it once.

There is. I think that one might be the one you get by rescuing a civilian on a rooftop. Which would be very easy to miss if you don't have fly, and even then you'd have to fly over or near that rooftop.
  • Options
    man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    there is a mission to attack a secret viper base in MC and the tainted blood supply missions in the same area. On monster Island there are a few missions that don't follow the chain like until informer and escape claws. There is a small group of missions between slither beach and Echinos shroes that can be over looked. There is also a demon filled cave that you can find near major Kawame(sp) if you follow the small demons and kill the fire demon you get a mission.

These are a few missions I stumbled on rather than got through mission paths.