test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Foundry for CO... when?

foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Suggestions Box
First and foremost, as a CoH refugee I want to thank the CO community for being so welcome to us that just lost our home. I'm genuinely moved.

I heard Cryptic is migrating their games so they all run under a same codebase, would this make it easier for something like The Foundry to be implemented in CO? Back at CoH, a lot of us considered the Mission Architect to be perhaps the most prominent feature in the game. It's not only a guarantee of continuous new content, it's also a way of making the players into an active part of the world by having our stories be played in-game. I can assure you a lot more CoH expatriates will be willing to become subscribers if CO gets The Foundry in.

Please? I know you want to, and I know it would bring money. :)

Please?
Post edited by foxyperson on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CO, STO and NW are under same base engine, or something like that. STO was the test for Foundry and NW gets the final version, or something of it. And CO.... there was talk about porting the Foundry to CO but it needs tweaked to fit CO, or something.
    And considering there's been so much Talk and not so much of the Walk.... We can hope.
    You're not the first or the last person to ask.

And the Architect in CoH....well, theres been few other opinions.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And CO.... there was talk about porting the Foundry to CO but it needs tweaked to fit CO, or something.

Actually, it's the other way around: What I've seen said is that CO needs some work before it can fit the Foundry. Hopefully some work has been done on that little by little as stuff's been upgraded, but that's hard to tell.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Its never going to be in CO. Period.

I have never wanted to be proved wrong more in my life, but everytime I here an employee of Cryptic comment on it, I feel it is farther and farther away. Just look at the Until report, it is nowhere in site.

We stand a better chance of getting a new Zone than getting a Foundry....but that is a whole different topic all together.

Wait I forgot!!!! We have a Magic Foundry accrossed from the Closed (for no good reason) Bookstore in Millenium City.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    blackdroserablackdrosera Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    IMO the foundry is more important than vehichles, sidekicks, new zones or even end game. Foundry means endless content for CO, because of creative members of community.

I will buy gold membership to NW only because of foundry. (Trar Trek is not universe for my taste...)

Let's make a deal Cryptic: when you start to develop foundry in CO, I will buy LTS. Deal? ;)
  • Options
    royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    IMO the foundry is more important than vehichles, sidekicks, new zones or even end game. Foundry means endless content for CO, because of creative members of community.

Exactly right, well said!
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    First problem is that CO, best I can gather, is being run by a couple of devs and a trained seal named Xavier The Haughty while the rest of Cryptic's staff is working on Neverwinter. So it'll still be a while before anything of substance can start happening.

Second problem, as mentioned above, is that the Foundry is too advanced for CO's creaky old coding. It would take a substantial effort to bring the game up to speed.

Third problem is that it's highly unlikely PWE sees the game as lucrative enough to put in the money to allow Cryptic to do these things. I bet that even after Neverwinter is done the most that will happen is that CO will get a second trained seal to make sure the first one doesn't fall asleep after lunch.

I think bug fixes (And opening up the costumes for the newbies immediately. Customization is the main selling point of the game!) are far more important right now in this game's life. Especially with the potential to gain most of CoX's player base.
    edited September 2012
    Let's make a deal Cryptic: when you start to develop foundry in CO, I will buy LTS. Deal? ;)

That sounds like a nice compromise! Give us The Foundry on CO and I'll buy a life-time too!

Anyone else? :)
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    the Sooner the Better
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, considering the recent pattern of adding things- I'm pretty sure the day we get a foundry the bugs will be so bad that not only will you lose all your character's equipment, default the costumes, rubberband, crash when you walk forward, delete all the travel powers, unleash Gravitar in Caprice, set your default language to backwards Lemurian, and empty your bank account- but it'll probably also delete other games on your computer, fry your cell phone, and send lewd messages to all the ugly chicks you know on facebook.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, considering the recent pattern of adding things- I'm pretty sure the day we get a foundry the bugs will be so bad that not only will you lose all your character's equipment, default the costumes, rubberband, crash when you walk forward, delete all the travel powers, unleash Gravitar in Caprice, set your default language to backwards Lemurian, and empty your bank account- but it'll probably also delete other games on your computer, fry your cell phone, and send lewd messages to all the ugly chicks you know on facebook.

So that's what you meant by "To the suggestions thread!"?
    We all understand that you are pissed about what happened with the Mega D event, but continuing to rage in other, unrelated threads wont help. At worst, you will cause them to get closed too.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I ask this in all seriousness: Given how CoX's Architect was basically abused initially as a farming tool, what rewards, if any, do you think will be tied to the Foundry, if and when CO gets it? Take a look at how Smash Alerts are pretty much the most popular - it's because they are a quick and easy way to level up. Yeah, "real" mission arcs and stories are great, but I don't think the Foundry is the means to that; It won't be the panacea everyone thinks. The rewards, if there even are any tied to Foundry missions, would likely be miniscule, so people that want to level quickly will skip them.

I understand that there are some very creative people who, given the tools, will create some truly outstanding content, but the vast majority of people will simply create farm-style content, or try to shoehorn their own Mary Sue characters into the CO lore through the Foundry.

I want to see more open world missions added. It'd be nice to be able to go to VB w/o having to do the crisis or using any exploits. I want there to be a more tangible reason to do regular missions other than the scant pieces of lore we get from text boxes or NPC chatter.

I also want this new content to *always* be there - the Nighthawk stuff was nice but fleeting, and it's not like you can just queue for the instance anytime you want, from anywhere, so that's kinda a dud. I also don't want this new content to have the kind of time requirement that an AP or CS has - I like that for an open world mission I can do a little and stop anytime I want, then return to the exact point I was at - none of this checkpoint stuff that may actually set me back an hour or more...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    blackdroserablackdrosera Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I ask this in all seriousness: Given how CoX's Architect was basically abused initially as a farming tool, what rewards, if any, do you think will be tied to the Foundry, if and when CO gets it? Take a look at how Smash Alerts are pretty much the most popular - it's because they are a quick and easy way to level up. Yeah, "real" mission arcs and stories are great, but I don't think the Foundry is the means to that; It won't be the panacea everyone thinks. The rewards, if there even are any tied to Foundry missions, would likely be miniscule, so people that want to level quickly will skip them.

I understand that there are some very creative people who, given the tools, will create some truly outstanding content, but the vast majority of people will simply create farm-style content, or try to shoehorn their own Mary Sue characters into the CO lore through the Foundry.

I really don't get your logic. Foundry is bad because some players use that for farming? Farming is stupid, but you have not to do it! You don't have to run smash-alerts for farming (or any reason). It is your choice. CO (or COX) is not bad game because of some players farm.

99% of Internet content is useless crap for me. With your logic Internet is bad and useless.

I don't see anything bad if some players bring their own characters in CO lore.

Think again.

Main problem in CO is lack of story content, not farming possibilities.

In NW and STO devs and other players can recommend good content and you can easily find good missions.
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think the Foundry could be a nice tool for people who want to create their own stories. But I don't think it will solve the problem of a lack of mission content. I'm basing that purely on the CoX Mission Architect, and it's possible that the CO devs will be able to come up with a better system that will work better.

The problem in CoX was first, that there were a lot of farming missions. I don't care if other people want to farm, but the farming missions crowded out the more story-driven content. And then even a lot of the story-driven content just wasn't that good. Add to that an easily-abused rating system, and it became nearly impossible to find the gems. I did run a few really stellar mission arcs that were created by Mission Architect, but I also ran some pretty bad ones; and as time went on it became harder and harder to find the good ones.

I'm not against a Foundry, because I know that a lot of people will enjoy the creative expression it would provide. But I don't expect it to solve any of the game's problems.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't think Foundry missions would (should) be any better than Help A Citizen missions, reward-wise. So people do it either for the content, or not at all.

It's important that the mistakes of CoX are not repeated in CO.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    what rewards, if any, do you think will be tied to the Foundry, if and when CO gets it?

I'd assume they'll do it the same way it's done on STO.

There foundry missions offer basically no reward what so ever. Now the way things work in STO is fairly different, but effectively you get little XP, and only the same random drops you get from fighting those same NPC's in any other mission.

This lead to the Foundry in STO being used primarily by people who were looking for interesting story content, and not a way to earn money, loot or XP. Typically most people there don't bother with the Foundry much until lvl 50...

I'd expect the same to be true in CO, with the Foundry missions offering little to no reward other then what you'd get from the NPC's you fight.

Should be interesting to see how they do it with Neverwinter.
    valasqua wrote: »
    Add to that an easily-abused rating system, and it became nearly impossible to find the gems.

That wasn't an issue in STO. You knew what you were getting into. I never messed with the AE in CoX, but I did play with the Foundry in STO some and IME if a mission had 3+ stars it was worth doing.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So that's what you meant by "To the suggestions thread!"?
    We all understand that you are pissed about what happened with the Mega D event, but continuing to rage in other, unrelated threads wont help. At worst, you will cause them to get closed too.
    This one, like my first statement, was meant as more of a joke. Sadly, oversensitive children took the original statement the wrong way. So, I'll lay it out for you:

1- The Mega D event? Didn't affect me. I have a policy about touching game content until I know what it does on the live server. My character's level is untouched. My game is intact. I'll put it this way: I was not pissed, more mocking the situation. However, I am annoyed for others' sake.

2- I've learned that most people on this site who get snarky and bawl about someone's words lack the ability to read or analyze. Check the times of the posts.
  • Options
    zerogman0zerogman0 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I really don't get your logic. Foundry is bad because some players use that for farming? Farming is stupid, but you have not to do it! You don't have to run smash-alerts for farming (or any reason). It is your choice. CO (or COX) is not bad game because of some players farm.

99% of Internet content is useless crap for me. With your logic Internet is bad and useless.

I don't see anything bad if some players bring their own characters in CO lore.

Think again.

Main problem in CO is lack of story content, not farming possibilities.

In NW and STO devs and other players can recommend good content and you can easily find good missions.

He's not saying it is bad, he's just saying that if people are more interested in grinding levels and getting quick rewards then the talent of the Foundry is wasted. And yah, people don't have to farm, BUT THEY'LL DO IT ANYWAY. :D He's not criticizing anyone, just stating his opinion based on what he's seen.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    This lead to the Foundry in STO being used primarily by people who were looking for interesting story content, and not a way to earn money, loot or XP.

Except for the control panel missions designed to help you get the Dilithium reward for the daily mission with a single click, you mean?
    edited September 2012
    I'd want it to look like what they're saying the Foundry in NW will look like.

Its a little bit long, but its worth the time spent watching to see what Cryptic is capable of.

Its very clever and it takes care of a lot of the issues that have been already raised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zerogman0 wrote: »
    He's not saying it is bad, he's just saying that if people are more interested in grinding levels and getting quick rewards then the talent of the Foundry is wasted. And yah, people don't have to farm, BUT THEY'LL DO IT ANYWAY. :D He's not criticizing anyone, just stating his opinion based on what he's seen.

Yes, "people" will do this. Other "people" will search out the Foundry Missions with the best content.

It really doesn't make much sense to complain about what "people" will do, because that's automatically a generalization that only holds true for some of them.

And, as we all know, generalizations are always bad. :tongue:
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    lonephantom777lonephantom777 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    When City of Heroes and Champions Online were both active, I was ultimately drawn back to City of Heroes. Why should this be, when Champions Online has the superior graphics, power customization, and even costume pieces?

The answer is simple: The Mission Architect, which allowed me (and other gifted authors) the chance to write our own stories and create new content with the potential to add an incredible amount of re-playability to a game. Finally, I could dust off toons who'd hit the level cap and involve them in meaningful action. No longer would I be limited to the same old set of missions every time I rolled a new hero. It was a powerful creative tool, but also a way to keep players' interest.

Now, City of Heroes is gone. However, Cryptic/PWE still have a powerful creative engine--the Foundry--that they've introduced to Star Trek Online, and plan to introduce to Neverwinter.

So why don't they have this for Champions Online? With the influx of ex-CoH players looking for a new home, this is a chance to make them feel welcome, and to bring in a new influx of player-generated content to keep things fresh without taxing the dev team too much.

It's my understanding that the code for CO is semi-incompatible with the Foundry at this point. However, let's face it...when lots of people are clamoring for something, it's generally a good idea to put in the effort to make it a reality. It was that sort of decision that ultimately introduced customizable power colors for City of Heroes, despite the belief that it couldn't be done. With the proper effort, the Foundry can become a reality, too.

So please...show us that you're worthy to take on the mantle that NCSoft cast aside. Give us the Foundry for Champions Online, as you did for STO and Neverwinter.
  • Options
    firefly113firefly113 Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I fully support the addition of Foundry to CO.

Someone told me something a while ago which I actually felt is appropriate. Basically, all content is, is the same thing over and over again but with a different paint job. That's it. A different story, a different set of enemies, but overall it's just doing A to accomplish B using numbers and, in some regards, skill and a little know how. Make the bad guys fall over, get the loot. Even if the 'paint job' is being a superhero, you're still doing it for a reward, even if said reward is the satisfaction of a good story.

As it stands, cryptic hasn't been making remarkable progress at painting content. We got a new vehicle mission not too long ago. And, what else? . . That's it, really. Alerts have been around a while now, and the paint job is starting to get old again. Where's the comics? Where's the adventure packs? These are both GREAT ideas that in my opinion suffer from neglect.

What the foundry will do is let Cryptic pass the paint can to their players and let the players do the painting for them. Cryptic can continue to create content too. It's not like CoX stopped producing content after they made the AE. We, as the players, will have many more painted products to experience. The developers will feel a lot less tension about producing new content, which gives them more time to perfect the content they do create.

We'll have lots of missions. We'll probably have lots of farming missions. We'll also have lots of story missions. It's NOT an issue as to whether or not farming will be a problem so much as it is how we're going to separate the farming missions from the story ones so that everyone can find exactly what they're looking for. CoX did this poorly, as they had no real way to separate farms from story arcs, so stories would be drowned out by gobs of farming content. Cryptic can learn from this mistake by making the Foundry a more organized mission crafting system. There's really no telling how this can be done without serious contemplation, but I am positive this can be done, somehow.

With this in consideration I think the Foundry will be awesome for CO, and I hope Cryptic does hold up to putting it in, because it'll give -so much- to the player community.

It'll let us tell the stories of our heroes. It'll, if done right, let us tell the stories of our nemeses. It'll lastly let us breathe life into Champions Online for everyone who feels that they've experienced everything it has to offer.

I don't think Foundry should just be considered, I think it should be a number one priority.
  • Options
    zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    siralleyne wrote: »
    I'd want it to look like what they're saying the Foundry in NW will look like.

Its a little bit long, but its worth the time spent watching to see what Cryptic is capable of.

Its very clever and it takes care of a lot of the issues that have been already raised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

Checking that video, and the lack of CO staff, sure they are putting all work in NWO. xD

I still gotta check how it is in STO. xx

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited December 2012

You got it right. Anyone that think that the above is a joke just had to try to lift and throw something in game.
  • Options
    lonephantom777lonephantom777 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's disgraceful. Cryptic and NCSoft are so focused on releasing Neverwinter that they're neglecting their other projects.