test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Water powerset!

foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Suggestions Box
We have Earth, Wind, Fire, but not water.

How hard would it be adding splashing effects to a variation of the Wind powerset? :)
Post edited by foxyperson on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's so hard that we haven't got water set yet. If it was like /snap, we would have one.
    And we don't really want another effect variation of Wind.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    It's so hard that we haven't got water set yet. If it was like /snap, we would have one.
    And we don't really want another effect variation of Wind.

Well, Water powers would deal Crushing Damage and Repel and Knock the target, because that's how water works. However, it also does something Force and Wind don't: It makes things wet. That could be the base for a debuff mechanic. :wink:
  • man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If in comics hard light is better than light then in CO we have hard water errr I mean ice.

(Disclaimer: This is a joke and in no way to be taken seriously)
    Yes please. Waterwaterwater. My favorite set in anything it's appeared in. Plus it gives more usefulness to the 'character is wet' effect that you see when people jump out of water.

Water, as a set, has potential to be pretty unique. Additionally, having it would basically finish up the elemental sets overall(unless you consider 'plants' an element I suppose). It can also synergize well with some other sets such as Ice or Electricity.

If I were to design a Water set, I think it would have a focus on being a ranged DPS set at it's core, but the secondary effects would be mostly either debuffing enemies or making them more vulnerable to other attack types. Get someone wet and they're going to be more vulnerable to Electricity or Ice, maybe a bit slower. Water might short-circuit some armor or shields if they're technological in nature, stun robotic enemies, or weaken fire attacks from enemies who are soggy. There's a lot it could potentially do.

And then if you start pulling inspiration from sources beyond comics, like The Last Airbender, there's lots of very creative water control abilities in there. Some are more defensive, deflecting blows and moving with the flow of the water. Some are more offensive, melee-type stuff, like lashing tentacles made of water. And of course there's some utility stuff like healing. Or control stuff. Like the ever-creepy blood-controlling power. (which uh, might not be that good a choice tonally for CO really, but worth mentioning)

I don't know what powersets are being worked on right now, if any, and what ones are planned or a priority in some way, but I hope Water is among them. And something we might see sooner rather than later.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • cerebellumcerebellum Posts: 74
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, water set, with maybe a few healing type abilities involved, even if they are only self heal, I could still get much closer to a certain character I would love to make, but no game matches even close to what I want.
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would just be happy to see Ice improved.
    Would Ice and Water compliment each other?
    And what about scalding steam (or even just fog), that's a form of water right? Could Water be the "Steam-punk" Energy Projector power?
    edited September 2012
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    I would just be happy to see Ice improved.
    Would Ice and Water compliment each other?
    And what about scalding steam (or even just fog), that's a form of water right? Could Water be the "Steam-punk" Energy Projector power?

In a past suggestion, I thought about the "Soaked" debuff from water attacks as making the affected target more vulnerable to certain other damage types, mostly Cold and Electric.
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Here come all of the Aang/Katara clones. x_x
    edited September 2012
    Here come all of the Aang/Katara clones. x_x

And here comes the enevitable "But there will be clones!" counter argument. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why are you saying that? Do you think a bunch of idiots with no imagination and no respect for game rules and copyright should matter that much? Do you really think just because people will make clone characters and give them those powers should be a reason why no one should have them?!
    I will tell what would be if Cryptic would think this way: There would be no powers at all!

And on a sidenote: You really can't make a convincing Aang in CO. Once someone requested a costume based on his from me, and I couldn't get it right.
    edited September 2012
    Obviously I don't think that way, otherwise I would write a more serious argument. Besides, most of those clones aren't "made right."
    edited September 2012
    In a past suggestion, I thought about the "Soaked" debuff from water attacks as making the affected target more vulnerable to certain other damage types, mostly Cold and Electric.

That makes sense.

Something you said earlier about the flow of water makes me think it could have an Active Defense that provides some additional dodge/avoidance. Maybe an Active Defense that can be cast on a team-mate.
    Some attacks might actually cancel Clinging Flames if the target already has that on it.
    Soaked can't be consumed, like Negative Ions, unless some power evaporates it.
    How will Soaked trigger an Energy Unlock?
    edited September 2012
    Ooh!
    How about a Water pet? A temp pet like a water squid that Repels mobs away from the hero.
    edited September 2012
    xD

Yes to all! \o/

Super Soaker ^_~
    edited September 2012
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    Ooh!
    How about a Water pet? A temp pet like a water squid that Repels mobs away from the hero.

I thought about a Water Elemental (similar to the Air Elemental, but with sharks asalternate skins) and Water Tentacles (Ancient Tentacles with a water skin and without spines).

Maybe I should re-post my whole concept...
    edited September 2012
    Here we go. I changed a few things from my initial ideas, but it's still far away from perfect. :redface:

I made it similar to Force and Wind, yet a little different.
    I imagine Water to be a "Bard" power set. It can do damage, but its main potential lies in debuffing enemies and thereby aiding team partners. However, these are required to use their powers stragegically to make the most effective use of the Soaking effect.

Recommended Characteristics: Ego, Endurance, Recovery
    Starting Innate Characteristic: Needs new one
    Suggested Skill: Mysticism
    Main Damage Type: Crushing Damage
    Main Mechanics: Soaked, Knocks

Soaked
    + Soaked doesn't stack, but every additional application refreshes the duration by a few seconds.
    + Slows the target down, about half as much as Chilled.
    + Soaked targets become more vulnerable to Knock effects, but are still affected by Knock Resistance as usual.
    + Being wet to the skin makes the targets more vulnerable to Electric and Cold damage.
    + Soaked targets are more likely to have Electricity attacks arcing over to them.
    + Soaked targets are easily trapped in an Ice Cage by Ice Attacks, just as if they were already Chilled.
    + Water powers (both attacks and support) have a chance to end the Clinging Flames debuff imediatelly. Applying the Soaked debuff to a target currently affected by Clinging Flames will consume the Clinging Flames debuff in a burst of Fire damage.
    Animation: Soaked has the affected target dripping with water, as if it just came out of an in-game water body.

Powers

Water Bolts (Energy Builder)
    Animation: Similar to Force Bolts. Makes a splash effect on impact.
    Type: Single Target Ranged
    Method: Click
    Range: 50 ft range

Click
    + Deals Crushing Damage to target.
    + Generates energy.
    + Every shot has a chance to apply Soaked. (It's water, after all. You get hit, you get wet!)

Advantages:
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Accelerated Metabolism (1 AP)
    Hard Splash (2 AP): The initial attack has now a 30% (50% if the target is Soaked) to Knock Down the Target. All following attacks have a 10% chance (17% if the target is Soaked).

Splash (Tier 0)
    Animation: Shoots a ball of water at your target.
    Type: Ranged Area Attack
    Method: Tap, Charge
    Range: 100 ft range, 5 ft sphere

Tap
    + Deals Crushing Damage to the initial target, and less damage to foes near that target.
    + Chance to apply Soaked to all affected targets.
    + Chance to Knock Down the initial target.

Charge
    + Increases damage, Knock chance and energy cost of the Tap effect.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Crippling Challenge (3 AP)
    High Preasure (1 AP): Fully charging this attack will now Knock Back the initial target.

Spit Water (Tier 1)
    Animation: A breath attack, like Fire, Frost, Wind and Venomous Breath.
    Method: Maintain
    Range: 50 ft range, 45 degree cone, 5 targets max

+ Deals Crushing Damage to any targets in the cone.
    + Chance to apply Soaked to all affected targets every period.
    + Repels targets.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Challenging Strikes (2 AP)
    Hard Splash (2 AP): Increases the chance to apply Soaked from 10% to 20%. Also guarantees the application of Soaked to all targets when it is fully maintained.

Hard Rain (Tier 1)
    Animation: Reskinned Conflagration. Does relatively low damage.
    Range: 100 ft range, 15 foot sphere, 5 targets max

+ Deals Crushing Damage to all affected targets.
    + Damage increases each period.
    + Chance to apply Soaked to all affected targets every period. Guaranteed if fully maintained.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Nailed to the Ground (2 AP)
    Rain of Jinx (2 AP): With this advantage, your Hard Rain tracks your target's every move as long as you maintain it.

Stream Cannon (Tier 1)
    Animation: Shoots a water beam at your target. Looks similar to Plasma Beam, but works more like Concussor Beam.
    Range: 100 ft range

+ Deals Crushing Damage.
    + Damage increases each period.
    + Chance to apply Soaked every period.
    + Repels the target.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)

Water Bomb (Tier 1)
    Animation: Uses the animation of Hurl and a projectile similar to those used by PSI Neophytes.
    Method: Tap
    Range: 100 ft range

+ Single target Crushing Damage.
    + Soakes the target.
    + Has a chance to Knock Down the target (30%, 100% if the target is Soaked).
    - 3 sec Recharge

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Big Splash (2 AP): Causes your Water Bomb attack to damage and Soak (but not Knock!) additional targets around your primary target. 10 foot sphere, 5 targets max.

Liquid Tendrils (Tier 2)
    Animation: Reskin of Shadow Embrace with virtually the same mechanics.
    Range: 50 ft range, 45 degree cone, 5 targets max

+ Deals Crushing damage to targets in front of you that increases the longer you maintain the power.
    + Has a chance on each pulse of applying Soaked to affected targets.
    + Has a chance on each pulse to Knock Down affected targets (25%, 75% if the target is Soaked).

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Kraken Grip (1 AP): Soaked targets are Knocked Towards you instead of Down, potentially pulling them clear over your head.

Geysir (Tier 2)
    Animation: A fountain of water errupts from the ground. It's more like a mix of Ice Burst and Orbital Cannon than like Force Geysir.
    Method: Click (30 sec recharge)
    Range: 50 ft range, 10 foot sphere, 5 targets max

Tap
    + Deals Crushing damage to the initial target.
    + Knocks the initial target up into the air and nearby foes away from it.
    + Chance to apply Soaked to all affected targets.
    - Works only on ground level targets.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Unending Stream (2 AP): Allows Geysir to be charged and turns it into a patch that does continous Crushing damage. Foes within a 10 foot sphere around the Geysir are repelled away from it, knocked back if the move within a 5 foot sphere. Charging increases the life span of the Geysir patch.

Whirlpool (Tier 2)
    Animation: Creates a whirling stream of water, similar to Whirlwind.
    Method: Maintain (20 sec recharge)
    Range: 50 ft range, 15 foot sphere, 5 targets max

Tap
    + Deals Crushing damage to the initial target, and less damage to foes near that target.
    + The duration of the Whirlpool increases the longer the power is maintained, making it possible for the Whirlpool to continue after the maintain has stopped.
    + Chance to apply Soaked to all affected targets every period.
    + After maintaining for 2 seconds, Roots the initial target.
    + Duration and durability of the Paralyze increases each second maintained.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Vortex (2 AP): Causes the main target of your Whirlpool to become the focus of a vortex, pulling other nearby foes toward that target.

Tidal Wave (Tier 2)
    Animation:Works much like Telekinetic Wave, but looks more like water, of course.
    Range: 50 ft range, 60 degree cone, 5 targets max

+ Deals Crushing amage to targets in front of you.
    + Repels all affected targets.
    + Has a chance to Soak all affected Targets.
    Charge
    + Increases damage and energy cost of the Tap effect. Fully charging this power will Knock Down all affected targets.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Riptide (2 AP): Reverses the Repel effect of Tidal Wave, so all affected targets are now drawn towards you.

Hydro Blast (Tier 3)
    Animation: Similar to Force Cascade and Typhoon, only with a water texture.
    Range: Range: 100 ft range, 5 foot cylinder, 5 targets max

Tap
    + Deals Crushing Damage to targets in line with your primary target.
    + Repels affected targets. The strength of this repel is affected by your Ego as if it were a knock.
    + Has a chance to Knock Down affected targets. Against Soaked targets, this instead becomes a guaranteed Knock Back.
    + Deals increased damage versus enemies that are immune to knockback, such as bosses.
    + Energy cost is greatly reduced if an Energy Form is active, but the Form is consumed, and temporarily deactivated.
    Charge
    + Increases damage, Knock Back distance and energy cost of the Tap effect.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Wave Motion Attack(2 AP): Hydro Blast becomes a maintain power instead of charge.

Water Cage (Tier 3)
    Animation: Similar to Ego Hold, but uses the pose and effect of Ego Choke.
    Method: Maintain (10 seconds recharge)

+ Single target continuous Crushing damage.
    + After maintaining for 2 seconds, Paralyzes the target.
    + Duration and durability of the Paralyze increases each second maintained.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Crushing Preasure (2 AP): Causes the damage dealt by your Water Cage to increases rapidly each period.

Hydrokinetic Healing (Tier 2)
    Animation: Similar to Arcane Vitality, but working more like the Support Drone's heal beam.
    Type: Healing

+ Continuously heals target while maintained. If there is no target, you will heal yourself.
    + The amount healed increases as you maintain this power.

Advantages
    Rank 2 (2 AP)
    Rank 3 (2 AP)
    Healing Stream (3 AP): Hydrokinetic Healing becomes a cylinder AoE power, healing friendly targets in a straight, 5 ft wide line.
    Healing Wave (3 AP): Hydrokinetic Healing becomes a sphere AoE power, healing friendly targets in a 10 ft sphere around the primary target.
    Hydrokinetic Resonance (1 AP): You can use the energy of other living things in contact with water around you to ampify your Hydrokinetic Healing. Every Soaked target, friend or foe, within a 20 ft sphere around you increases the HP healed per tick by a small amount.
    edited September 2012
    Summon Tentacle (Tier 1)
    Animation: Basically just reskinned Ancient Tentacle, without spines.
    Type: Summon
    Method: Charge

Pet Properties
    + Fully Charge to summon an untrollable Tentacle next to the target.
    + Rank 1: Your Tentacle attacks with a Liquid Slam, dealing Crushing damage and frequently Soaking the target. It can also shoot Water Bolts at targets it cannot reach.

Advantages:
    Rank 2 (2 AP): Now summons 2 Tentacles.
    Rank 3 (2 AP): Now summons 3 Tentacles.
    Cleansweep (2 AP): Your Tentacle gains a melee cone attack that deals Crushing damage and can Soak the affected targets. (Looks like a combination of the Annelid Horrors' sweep attack and the Werewolf Hunters' Holy Water attack.)
    Extended Attack (2 AP): Your Tentacle gains the Stream Cannon power. (Uses the Annelid Horrors' Venomous Breath animation while shooting a water beam that is as thick as the pet itself, creating the illusion that it stretches itself to lash out against the target.)

Water Elemental (Tier 2)
    Animation: These pets are transparent and have a water-like texture, as if they were permanently under the effect of Liquid Form.
    Type: Controllable Pets
    Method: Charge

Pet Properties
    + Fully Charge to summon a controllable Water Elemental.
    + Maintaining control of your pets reduces your Energy Recovery and Energy Gain, and increases the Energy Cost of your powers.
    + Rank 1: Your Water Elemental attacks with a Liquid Bite, dealing Crushing damage and frequently Soaking the target. It can also shoot Water Bolts at targets it cannot reach.
    Custom Ability
    + This pet can be instructed to activate the following ability with a button on its control bar:
    + Liquidation - Your pet temprarily transforms into a puddle (think Roin'esh Transference State). In this form, it cannot deal damage, but has its defense greatly increased and can Soak enemies at contact.

Advantages:
    Rank 2 (2 AP): Your Water Elemental gains the ability to lunge at your target.
    Rank 3 (2 AP): Your Water Elemental gains the Spit Water power.
    Reabsorbtion (2 AP): Your Water Elemental gains a special power that consumes the Soaked debuff on a target to heal a portion of the Water Elemental's health. (Looks like Devour Essence.)

Skins:
    Default - Randomly chosen available skin.
    Water Cyclone (Rank 1) - A retextured Dust Devil.
    Barracuda (Rank 1) - A retextured Barracuda.
    Water Djinn (Rank 2) - A Djinn with water textures.
    Shark (Rank 2) - A retextured Reef Shark.
    Greater Water Djinn (Rank 3) - A bigger Djinn with water textures.
    Greater Shark (Rank 3) - A retextured Hammerhead Shark.

Wavemaker (Tier 1)
    Animation: ?
    Typ: Slotted Passive

+ Can be slotted in an Offensive or Balanced passive power slot.
    + Increases all of your Crushing Damage. This increase scales with your Super Stats.
    + Increases your resistance to all Elemental Damage. These resistances scale with your Super Stats.
    + Whenever you Knock a target, you gain a stack of the Flow buff, which increases the Knock distance of your attacks. This scales with your Ego and stacks up to 5 times.
    + Counts as an Energy Form.

Advantages
    + Rank 2 (2 AP)
    + Rank 3 (2 AP)

Liquid Form (Tier 1)
    Animation: The users's body transfoms completely into liquid, becomming transparent and reflective.
    Typ: Buff Self
    Method: Click

+ Grants immense immunity to all Physical damage.
    + Can be used while Held.
    + Assists in breaking out of Hold effects.
    + 15 second duration.
    + 90 second cooldown.
    + This power is considered to be an Active Defense. Activating this power imposes a 30 second cooldown on all other Active Defenses.

Advantages
    + Rank 2 (2 AP)
    + Rank 3 (2 AP)
    + Back(sp)lash (1 AP): Attacks against you while you are in Liquid Form have a high chance to apply Soaked to all foes in melee range of you.

Water Shield (Tier 1)
    Animation: Similar to Kinetic Shield, but using the two-handed block animation.
    Typ: Block
    + Self damage reduction with better Energy Damage reduction than other Block powers.

Advantages
    + Rank 2 (2 AP)
    + Rank 3 (2 AP)
    + Water Sheath (1 AP): Water Shield will continue to provide a defensive benefit against all damage for a short time after blocking. 8 seconds duration, 16% resist all.
    edited September 2012
    Wow.
    You have put a lot of thought into this. Awesome
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    excellent suggestions rokurocaris
  • siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Excellent suggestion in general, Foxy

And, wow, nice detailed fleshed out set, Rokuro.

/signed and signed again.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The problem is mostly deciding on FX. Although, wouldn't something similar to the distortion effects from distortion acro/athletics be appropriate for water? It'd make it distinct from the other elementals too...
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The "flowing" effects are already there between Wind and Force, the challenge is the "splash" physics.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, Water powers would deal Crushing Damage and Repel and Knock the target, because that's how water works. However, it also does something Force and Wind don't: It makes things wet. That could be the base for a debuff mechanic. :wink:

Wet is clearly a buff.

Wet T-shirt contest anyone?
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm sure we can do more with Water than just make it a variation of Wind.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2012
    vorshoth wrote: »
    The problem is mostly deciding on FX. Although, wouldn't something similar to the distortion effects from distortion acro/athletics be appropriate for water? It'd make it distinct from the other elementals too...

Mentalist powers (those that don't look like pink fire) look kinda like pink liquid. ;)