test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to deal with the spam?

agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
As you all may have noticed, we've been hit with increasing degrees of spam threads advertising crap that either doesn't exist, is a phishing scam, or has NOTHING to do with Champions Online what so ever. It's getting pretty bad, honestly.

Here's some more accounts that need to get hit with the ban hammer ASAP:
  • danbeet2
  • islam909
  • fhfghghfghgfh
  • lugipor12

So...

I would like to create this thread as a community participation project to brainstorm solutions to this progressively increasing problem.
How do you think we could fix this?
What steps could or should be taken?
What is the underlying cause for this?

Food for thought when brainstorming (also taking additions to this list if applicable):
  • This didn't happen with the old forum system, it's only started post-merger.
  • We need cheap or free solutions.
  • Freedom of speech is important, and it is against US and International (UN) law to violate this.
  • This is a privately owned website.
  • Cryptic doesn't have much say, although they CAN appoint forum moderators.
  • The web developers for this website are cheap, lazy, and have displayed an alarming degree of antiquated incompetence/ignorance. CORE Connect not being connected with Champions Online STILL is a prime example of such lazy incompetence.
  • Region bans don't work, people can use proxies if they want to get around it.
  • The regions most of this spam is coming from are China, Russia, and South Africa.
  • Most of this spam is auto generated, or copy & pasted from a non-English speaking underpaid slave/worker.
Post edited by agentnx5 on

Comments

• Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Until we can get a working report button there's little we can do besides wait for a moderator to sweep through the boards and remove the spam.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Give us a Report and Ignore (one that doesn't affect to ingame muting) buttons.
    Until then send a private message to @smackwell or @ofarmer.

And now the spambots are spamming each others. :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm not sure this old version of the BB forum software has the report button available to use... I mean this is some really old software being used here guys...

We also can't do simple crap like image embedding, YouTube video embedding, etc. (although these I think are just disabled code)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Updated to recognize the latest spam cycle: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=177741

Come on we need some workable solutions.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We need the ignore button returned .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Honestly,we desperately need the forum report function back,with it there was no spam hardly ever,now that we've lost it,we get 1 every 2 weeks,its getting really,really old.

Please cryptic/PWE,give us back the Report button on the forums,please.
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just to clarify:
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    • Freedom of speech is important, and it is against US and International (UN) law to violate this.
    • This is a privately owned website.

The first point, though true in a general sense in this country, is invalidated by your second point. Because this is a privately owned website, freedom of speech does not apply here in any sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My favorite way to deal with spam is to slice it and make a sandwich, with mayo and butter.

I rely on Smacky and O'Farmer to take care of the bot messages in the forums. :smile:

Oh, by the way, Helbjorn is right - the First Amendment to the US Constitution addresses government suppression of speech. In a private venue, you can dictate whatever terms you like regarding communication.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Just to clarify:

The first point, though true in a general sense in this country, is invalidated by your second point. Because this is a privately owned website, freedom of speech does not apply here in any sense whatsoever.

This is indeed and fortunately correct. Having the freedom of speech not apply to private properties allows the owners of those properties the ability to enforce their rules of conduct. This is one of the reasons that you see protesters of businesses around the property line of a business instead of actually on its property because the business owner/manager has the legal right to have them ejected by police if they are on the property. Not all businesses take advantage of that fact but it is still true.

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Apparently the edible (sort of) spam is pretty popular in Hawaii. But I saw those inedible soccer spam messages yesterday and thought a report / ignore button has been a long time coming.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.