test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

went gold, was locked out of my character

n3thergoatn3thergoat Posts: 16 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
I re-created my namesake CoH character Nethergoat here as, basically, a blaster- the Inferno silver AT. Have been having an entertaining time running missions & doing alerts with him and got him up to level 20.

Yesterday the 60 day timecard I ordered showed up ($12.49 after shipping, a nice deal). Applied it, and suddenly I can't play my character. Plenty of new empty slots, but his 'play' button is grayed out.

So, uh, what's the deal?
Is there someway to unlock him, or am I condemned to wait out the code and go back down to Silver before I can play him again?
Post edited by n3thergoat on

Comments

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You have to 'convert' him to a Gold character. When you select him there should be a button highlighted somewhere that says 'Convert to gold' or something similar.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ladidaa-ladidoo...
    NVM.
    Just doing my ballet dance.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And remember, after you've made him Gold AT when you go back, if you go, Silver, you need to convert him to back to Silver AT and thats gonna cost money because you need to get yourself a Retrain Token.

Actually, you can convert Archetypes from Silver to Gold and back freely for no cost...

If you convert your Archetype to Freeform, then you need a Retrain token to convert it back to an Archetype if you go back to Silver. Otherwise you won't be able to play the Freeform character...

Retrain tokens are only needed to convert Freeform back to an Archetype or change an Archetype to a different Archetype...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Oh, my bad.
    All that converting....
    Deleting the bad info.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So, just keep the above in mind if you plan to lapse out of gold and back into silver. The archetype conversions really could use a somewhat better explanation for those that haven't tried it before.
  • n3thergoatn3thergoat Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Punishing people for subscribing is certainly an interesting approach to generating revenue.

Guess I'll just leave him silver and wait for the card to expire.
    Too bad I didn't know this in advance I could have made another account to burn the card on.

Oh well, I'm enjoying the freeform tank I made well enough- he should keep me entertained in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the replies!
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How are you punished for subscribing?
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
    edited September 2012
    n3thergoat wrote: »
    Punishing people for subscribing is certainly an interesting approach to generating revenue.

Guess I'll just leave him silver and wait for the card to expire.
    Too bad I didn't know this in advance I could have made another account to burn the card on.

Oh well, I'm enjoying the freeform tank I made well enough- he should keep me entertained in the meanwhile.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure if you're understanding correctly...

You can convert your Archetype to Gold for free and play him on your Gold account. Just don't convert it to Freeform, keep it an Archetype. Then when your subscription runs out you can convert it back to a Silver Archetype, again for free, and keep playing...

The rule of thumb is, if you want to continue playing a character when you go back to Silver, don't make him Freeform...

:smile:

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The conversion is completely senseless in my opinion. If its an AT and you want it to stay that way, it should stay as such and still be useable without having to convert. Make the Freeform conversion option available at any time as long as the subscription is active, but still would be playable regardless.

I understand that its the way it is so the players don't lose items in extra inventory, but all they had to do was program it so that it all goes into an overflow bag that you can take items out and back into your bank. Rather than confuse players who paid themselves into a mess.
    edited September 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    I
    You can convert your Archetype to Gold for free and play him on your Gold account. Just don't convert it to Freeform, keep it an Archetype. Then when your subscription runs out you can convert it back to a Silver Archetype, again for free, and keep playing...

AH!

Okay, I misunderstood.

Excellent! I'll swap him over tonight- I'm happy enough with him as is, no impulse to change ATs.

Thanks again, everyone.
    edited September 2012
    AH!

Okay, I misunderstood.

Excellent! I'll swap him over tonight- I'm happy enough with him as is, no impulse to change ATs.

Thanks again, everyone.

Not a problem, I'm glad we got it cleared up for you!

Although I agree with Crypticbuxom, the system is a bit... unwieldy...

Laws yes!
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Not a problem, I'm glad we got it cleared up for you!

Although I agree with Crypticbuxom, the system is a bit... unwieldy...

Yea, its clunky. But considering how much changes for you by going from silver to gold. The system really needs some kind of toggle.

The problem is really in presentation and explanation. Areas Cryptic has always been a little weak with.
  • steeldefiantsteeldefiant Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    HAI Goat! Welcome to CO...all hail the 88s!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Formerly @SteelDominator in COH
    Proud member of Earthguard SG/Phoenix Phalanx
    edited September 2012
    Heya Steel!

gonna join in our Viking Funeral inf burn? =D

on topic:
    converted the Goat no problems, thanks for the help.

One minor, simple change that'd resolve some confusion would be removing the little 'Zen' symbol from the conversion button. It creates the impression that converting from silver to gold is going to cost you money.
  • steeldefiantsteeldefiant Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Heya Steel!

gonna join in our Viking Funeral inf burn? =D

on topic:
    converted the Goat no problems, thanks for the help.

One minor, simple change that'd resolve some confusion would be removing the little 'Zen' symbol from the conversion button. It creates the impression that converting from silver to gold is going to cost you money.

Of course I dont mind burning influence i'll never use again :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Formerly @SteelDominator in COH
    Proud member of Earthguard SG/Phoenix Phalanx