test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Optimizing Electric dps check

gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Builds and Roles
I am trying to get a real range dps. After checking a bit the forums I came with this build.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Nanael

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Quick Trigger
Level 6: Field Ops Training
Level 9: Acrobat
Level 12: Coordinated
Level 15: Shooter
Level 18: Ascetic
Level 21: Wordly

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt
Level 1: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 8: Ionic Reverberation
Level 11: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 14: Electrocute (Superconductor)
Level 17: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
Level 20: Concentration
Level 23: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
Level 26: Palliate (Rank 2, Absolve)
Level 29: Conviction
Level 32: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Ball Lightning (Rank 2, Triplicity)
Level 38: Lightning Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Storm Rider (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Electric Arc

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
Avenger: Round 'em Up (1/3)
Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Your expertise is welcome to improve this build, Thanks :biggrin:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Firstly, why Palliate? It doesn't really seem to fit in the build at all. I'd drop it for Electric Sheathe to have a second active offense. And speaking of active offenses, I usually go Vindicator tree rather than Avenger to be able to pick up Offensive Expertise (which reduces the cooldowns on your active offenses). Between that and some cooldown reduction gear, I can have almost 100% uptime of an active offense.

For your superstats, I might go with Ego over Dex as your primary. And drop con for something else, Rec or End would work.

Just my 2 cents. :biggrin:

Edit: Just realized you have nimble mind adv and Ego Surge, which scales with con. But again, Con isn't super necessary and R3 might be more beneficial unless you really want to max out your crits with Dex, Nimble Mind, etc.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If you're picking up CON just for the Nimble Mind advantage that's a serious flaw.

Your big issue in what you just designed above is that it's going to have no energy to do anything most of the time. So what if you got great powers if you can't use them?!

I cannot emphasize this enough. You will be very frustrated with this build as-written because of it's lack of energy supply.

Please ditch CON as a secondary superstat, ASAP. I'd highly recommend picking up REC, and probably even consider replacing INT with END, particularly if you're wanting to use Ionic Reverb as the energy unlock.

They just recently nerfed Ionic Reverb (or maybe it's bugged). It dropped from 26 energy per tick to 13 (this is level 40 with a DEX, INT & REC build; my only character using AoPM, so it's not as if she had no END either). So you're kind of forced now to have END as a secondary superstat if you're going to use Ionic or Thermal or Wind Reverb.

DEX, REC & END with cooldown and cost reduction on your Utility Gear and you'll be quite happy I think. Also don't forget to swap out Ego Surge for Electric Sheath and/or Lock N Load (yes you can have both if you really want, you go back & forth with a 30 second delay in-between).

benevon wrote: »
    Firstly, why Palliate? It doesn't really seem to fit in the build at all.

/me points to the Absolve advantage

It drops all threat you have. Very handy. Used to use it in Zombie Apocalypse a lot last spring, instantly made the agro go away from me (at least for a moment). The big drawback is that it has a looooong cooldown for what it does. But it's not a useless power by any means, and that advantage is extremely handy in PvE if used correctly.
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    If you're picking up CON just for the Nimble Mind advantage that's a serious flaw.

Your big issue in what you just designed above is that it's going to have no energy to do anything most of the time. So what if you got great powers if you can't use them?!

I cannot emphasize this enough. You will be very frustrated with this build as-written because of it's lack of energy supply.

Please ditch CON as a secondary superstat, ASAP. I'd highly recommend picking up REC, and probably even consider replacing INT with END, particularly if you're wanting to use Ionic Reverb as the energy unlock.

They just recently nerfed Ionic Reverb (or maybe it's bugged). It dropped from 26 energy per tick to 13 (this is level 40 with a DEX, INT & REC build; my only character using AoPM, so it's not as if she had no END either). So you're kind of forced now to have END as a secondary superstat if you're going to use Ionic or Thermal or Wind Reverb.

DEX, REC & END with cooldown and cost reduction on your Utility Gear and you'll be quite happy I think. Also don't forget to swap out Ego Surge for Electric Sheath and/or Lock N Load (yes you can have both if you really want, you go back & forth with a 30 second delay in-between).

It drops all threat you have. Very handy. Used to use it in Zombie Apocalypse a lot last spring, instantly made the agro go away from me (at least for a moment). The big drawback is that it has a looooong cooldown for what it does. But it's not a useless power by any means, and that advantage is extremely handy in PvE if used correctly.

Thanks both for your advices.

Agentnx5: I see your point. However, I think I need int for concentration unless I change to another form. What do you think of dex/int/end. I put electric sheath and lock N load in, taking out either palliate or evasive maneuvers.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gandales wrote: »
    Agentnx5: I see your point. However, I think I need int for concentration unless I change to another form.

If you have DEX as primary SS you can use Form of the Tempest but i would suggest that
    for leveling and with 40 retcon to EGO / CON / END with concentration and max cost discount and crit gear. You would maybe also put quite some points in REC.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited September 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    If you have DEX as primary SS you can use Form of the Tempest but i would suggest that
    for leveling and with 40 retcon to EGO / CON / END with concentration and max cost discount and crit gear. You would maybe also put quite some points in REC.

I am confused here, how taking EGO as primary superstat would benefit over DEX?
    edited September 2012
    gandales wrote: »
    I am confused here, how taking EGO as primary superstat would benefit over DEX?

I did the math a while ago with an excel table, and found out that at lvl 40 with max crit gear
    the average damage with EGO is a little higher. However that was on my Munitions char
    with around 300 DEX or EGO and in Hybrid Form.

Here is the Excel Sheet i created for that : http://beldin.be.funpic.de/CO/CO_Damage.xls
    R607qMf.jpg
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Ah, but the build already has evasive maneuvers with the sleight of mind advantage. A much better threat dump IMO as it has a shorter cooldown. There is really no need for two threat dump abilities.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • piro2genpiro2gen Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2012

At lvl 40, END 220, REC 15, clean (no tricks that would lower energy returns):
    - +57 on consume
    - +11 on utilize

Same char, removed gear, END 93, REC 15, clean:
    - +32 on consome
    - +6.3 on utilize

@OP
    I'd go primary END, secondary DEX/REC for leveling. For good energy management.

Primary EGO, secondary END/REC at level 40. Use EGO spec tree and lvl 40 gear to push crit chance as high as it gets.

At 40, EGO is more or less as good for ranged damage as DEX. EGO spec tree has extra perks that are nice. Cost reduction for example. Less need for INT.
    edited September 2012
    This is the build based on the recommendations. What do you think about it?

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Nanael

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Quick Trigger
    Level 6: Field Ops Training
    Level 9: Impresario
    Level 12: Daredevil
    Level 15: Investigator
    Level 18: Wordly
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Electric Bolt
    Level 1: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 11: Electric Sheath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Electrocute (Superconductor)
    Level 17: Lightning Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Ball Lightning (Triplicity)
    Level 23: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 26: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 29: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Concentration
    Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Circle of Ebon Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Storm Rider (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Electric Arc

Specializations:
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Aggression (2/2)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (1/3)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
  • ryomastormryomastorm Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What about using overdrive as energy unlock? Your two main DPS powers are maintains and it would be easy to keep it at 3 stacks.
    edited September 2012
    I don't see the reason to bring Active Offenses on R3 .. bettter take Electric Sheat with Adv.

And instead of Electrocute i would take maybe Masterful Dodge.
    ryomastorm wrote: »
    What about using overdrive as energy unlock? Your two main DPS powers are maintains and it would be easy to keep it at 3 stacks.

Works with Lightning Arc pretty good .. but Storm is still too heavy even with max cost discount.
    But its an alternate if you want to mix different frameworks .. i tryed an infernal lightning mix with that a while ago.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • amazingprotonamazingproton Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    MY BUILD
    This is the one I use, and is very effective... a little squishy, but if you play your cards right, it gets by very nicely.

On Alerts, it's easily doing nearly or over 2000 damage per tick of Lightning Arc. And if you remember to lay down the Circle of Arcane Power ... you'll never run out of energy.. so it's instant Pwn for PvE

Hope this helps.
    FORMERLY KNOWN AS NOT0FTHISWOR1D\\My Lightning Toon