test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cape Glide

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2012 in Super News Network
Was that just the wind, or was it your cape rustling as you get the drop on villains? The Cape Glide travel power has arrived in Champions Online, and villains everywhere are keeping a wary eye on the skies!

Cape Glide is a noncombat travel power, so you'll only be able to use powers that target yourself while it's running ? buffs, passives, etc. This travel power is faster than Flight, and it's a lot of fun to control.

Get more information in the blog post...
... or go directly to the web C-Store.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I really have to say kudos to TrailTurtle for the updates both here and on Facebook, etc. An excellent job of communication. This will be a buy for me just based on that alone.

;)
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    <3 capeglide
    /darkknightarchetypefangasm
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Slight Issue here..

Not only does The Cape not turn invisible when fired from stealth, but occasionally there is a graphical bug which when fired from stealth perhaps in an attempt to turn invisible it turns the cape blue.

Another issue is the AF's (Jets) do not fly up with you :frown::confused:

But out of Stealth I LOVE this TP ^^

I am loving my ShadowAssassin with Cape Glide xd
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I really have to say kudos to TrailTurtle for the updates both here and on Facebook, etc. An excellent job of communication. This will be a buy for me just based on that alone.

;)

This. This is night and day compared to the communication channels before he came. It was incredibly refreshing to log on to the forums to report the Red Winter bug only to be informed that they knew about it and were working on it. Given how many times we had fiascos in the past which went unacknowledged for days, this is extremely welcoming and heartening.

Anyhow, back to cape glide: Foxbat so needs this TP. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Does Cape Glide still put a cape on your character even if you weren't wearing one? I have a character with the wing arm accessories I might like to use it on.
    Question: Does this TP work with all capes or, like the Jetpack TP, are there only certain versions that it works with?

Also: If my character is capeless, does it become a standard Flight animation?

EDIT: Seems cptmillennium has a similar thought around the same time as me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Does Cape Glide still put a cape on your character even if you weren't wearing one? I have a character with the wing arm accessories I might like to use it on.

AFAIK, if you do not have a Back Item Cape on, it'll generate the one shown in the screenshots for you. While it would look awesome with the wing arm accessories (and them alone), it doesn't support that.

Also, word of warning - you can not attack while using this travel power. However, because of it, you'll have the speed of Jet Boots (the fastest flying TP) and without the charge time needed too. Although I've heard from some people it might be faster than that.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What I'm wondering is, does it work on some of the back parts that act like capes but aren't actually capes. I've seen the Shadow Destroyer cape work with it (Looks awesome) as well as the bug wings cape (Also looks awesome) but does something, like, the long scarf piece work?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Man... so from what I'm hearing, you still can't attack w/ this TP, can't stop moving forward, and still get slapped w/ a generic cape if you don't have one on? Did they at least fix the issue where your hands weren't connected to the cape?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • reinweibritterreinweibritter Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What I'm wondering is, does it work on some of the back parts that act like capes but aren't actually capes. I've seen the Shadow Destroyer cape work with it (Looks awesome) as well as the bug wings cape (Also looks awesome) but does something, like, the long scarf piece work?

Wrapped Scarf keeps the neck piece, but the scarf is replaced by a standard cape.
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    *Superman Flies by, gets passed by Batman jumping off a building...* :redface:
    *And they BOTH get passed by a scramjet fighter wayyyyy overhead* :rolleyes:
    I love the communication.
    I love the graphics.
    I love the dedication.
    But something SERIOUSLY needs to be done about the "Suspension of Disbelief" here.
    Respectfully,
    :cool: 'Caine
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • piercingwhistlepiercingwhistle Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

I have my stipend.

And when I started out in CO, I dumbly bought the cape pack. Well, I guess it's time to use those!

Wooooo!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I used to be Hies but then Perfect World wasn't so perfect and now I'm piercingwhistle! Here, have this thread from my long-gone account. AoE Projectile Set!
  • koriel8koriel8 Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So if you're using the under-arm wings from the Steelhawk costume, it also generates a cape?
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    koriel8 wrote: »
    So if you're using the under-arm wings from the Steelhawk costume, it also generates a cape?

Correct. Hopefully we can get this ported for that too though.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, i've been asking about this for a while. I was really hoping that it wouldn't generate a cape if you had the arm wings going since they look so awkward on any other flight power pointing down rather than out. It's a bit of a deal breaker for me but if they can fix it so you don't generate a cape then it's a buy for sure. Also if any devs are listening could you make the arm wings (both accessories AND bracers) extend outward instead of down? I doubt they'll read this but i can dream.
  • lawblacklawblack Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I didn't try the Cape Glide, but I have a few comments to make:

1) new TPs should be proposed on PTS free and tested. edit: As Cape glide was (my bad, didnt see it was announced), how come there is still some bugs on it?

2) Cape Glide shouldn't be faster than Flight, even if there is drawbacks.

3) It should work like Ice glide when traveling down or straight forward, and have some Acrobatics or Swinging animation when traveling from ground. Maybe pulled by gravity a little faster than the Ice board.

4) Offensive Powers, like with Ice Glide, should be allowed, the low manoeuvrability is enough.

5) A Free Travel Power shouldn't hurt anybody, sometime.
    I play with freeforms AND archetypes.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Correct. Hopefully we can get this ported for that too though.

Maybe they can do one of those 0 Point Modifiers in the Rank Up interface, where if you select the 0 Point Rank Up, the Cape Fabric is not shown.

Your arms are still outstretched though, so if using the Steelhawk underarm wings, it would look pretty killer!

Wonder how difficult it would be to make this happen?

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • nivjinivji Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's really a fantastic TP, i love it so much !
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am a little disappointed with the cape release because it still does not allow for 2 different colours for the inside and the outside of the cape. Manage to get someone who bought it to test it out for me in live. Otherwise I will buy it straight away. Trailturtle, is there anyway the devs could do something abt this?
  • realsorceryrealsorcery Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have nothing to hate on about this travel power. I feel Cyrptic really came through on this one. Couple things to keep in mind.

1) It works with every existing cape, including the sparkly cape, spider web cape, Destroyer's tendril cape, and everything in the zen store Cape Collection pack. It basically just takes the pattern and shape and stretches it into a semi-circle shape (though capes with jagged edges keep their edge).

2) It uses all the colors you put on the cape. So a three-color cape will still have the same colors. I've tested this myself.

3) It moves forward automatically. However, as another user discovered, you can 'hover' by holding down Spacebar and X.

4) If you do not have on a back piece that is specifically a cape, it will generate a generic semi-circle that uses the first color in your back slot. In some instances it will just be black.
  • fonedfoned Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Oh, cool new looking cape glide, but I still don't have ZEN, or any money, so, I need to use the travel powers that I get with Recognition and these free travel powers that I really don't like. Its my only choice anyway

I didn't had ZEN or anything else yet to test this power, no issues or anything of the type.
    [SIGPIC]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a491/AixDivadis/Nearcopy.jpg[/SIGPIC]

I'm not a poser. Doesn't know much about Death Note, but I do like Near
  • piercingwhistlepiercingwhistle Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have nothing to hate on about this travel power. I feel Cyrptic really came through on this one. Couple things to keep in mind.

1) It works with every existing cape, including the sparkly cape, spider web cape, Destroyer's tendril cape, and everything in the zen store Cape Collection pack. It basically just takes the pattern and shape and stretches it into a semi-circle shape (though capes with jagged edges keep their edge).

2) It uses all the colors you put on the cape. So a three-color cape will still have the same colors. I've tested this myself.

3) It moves forward automatically. However, as another user discovered, you can 'hover' by holding down Spacebar and X.

4) If you do not have on a back piece that is specifically a cape, it will generate a generic semi-circle that uses the first color in your back slot. In some instances it will just be black.

Guys, not only can you hover by holding down the spacebar key and the X key together, you can actually maneuver like flight with it. With these keys, I didn't have to press the spacebar to go higher, I can just steer with my mouse.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I used to be Hies but then Perfect World wasn't so perfect and now I'm piercingwhistle! Here, have this thread from my long-gone account. AoE Projectile Set!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1 tp i don't feel need to rank up for speed. It's feels too fast for gliding and compared to other flights.
    To the point.
    It should work like Ice Slide, gaining speed when swooping down. Like you would in real.

And i'm not dissing the power, it's Great. It just could have been Awesome.

Should i take credit for the hover. :cool:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • carolinacajuncarolinacajun Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think the consensus is that:

1) It should work as Ice Slide

2) It should be slower than Flight (or at least not faster)

3) You should have the option of not having a cape visible.

I agree with all of those options as I too have a character with the wing arm accessories and I absolutely love the flight pose (minus the cape). It also makes more sense to me that a glide power would have a natural downward motion, like Ice Slide, that you constantly had to counteract by intentionally causing your character to elevate...it would accurately emulate someone attempting to use wind currents to stay aloft.

Hopefully, the Devs will see this and take our opinions into consideration (fingers crossed).
    edited September 2012
    I think the consensus is that:

1) It should work as Ice Slide

2) It should be slower than Flight (or at least not faster)

3) You should have the option of not having a cape visible.

I agree with all of those options as I too have a character with the wing arm accessories and I absolutely love the flight pose (minus the cape). It also makes more sense to me that a glide power would have a natural downward motion, like Ice Slide, that you constantly had to counteract by intentionally causing your character to elevate...it would accurately emulate someone attempting to use wind currents to stay aloft.

Hopefully, the Devs will see this and take our opinions into consideration (fingers crossed).

Please add different colours allowed for inside and outside of cape.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wtf is with people asking for a *slower* flight power? If it's flight speed, it's another boring flight reskin most people won't use. Flight needs to be faster, not vise versa, imo.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited September 2012
    Wtf is with people asking for a *slower* flight power? If it's flight speed, it's another boring flight reskin most people won't use. Flight needs to be faster, not vise versa, imo.

LOL this is more in line of the call to boost flight in the PTS thread. I think people asking for slower cape glide which functions like ice slides are those who will use this power for thematic purposes. Your concerns are true. It has very low functionality just like the bat flight thingy. Furthermore with ability to use powers mostly disabled (like bat flight), picking cape glide (if they made it slower and act like ice slide) compared to other flight travel powers will be a handicap and is purely an aesthetic choice. However, just like bat flight, despite all the suggestions given in forum about how it could be beefed, it remains unchanged so I am expecting the same for cape glide.
  • darksideofspacedarksideofspace Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Totally agree. Now that vehicles are so fast, some of the other TP's could use a buff to speed them up a bit when not in battle, flight especially. I never understood why it was so slow in the first place. It should be the Superspeed of the sky.
  • darksideofspacedarksideofspace Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Of course some sort of Nova flight or spaceboard would be an awesome fill for that slot. At least make them fast out of battle. you can put whatever restrictions you want in battle (for logical reasons). but I really enjoy the new vehicle's ability to transverse the maps quickly. But vehicles are only themed to a few types of characters in my mind and this is an RPG.
  • drdimensiondrdimension Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd really love it if this didn't make the cape appear and we could use it to make those wing attachments under the arm make more sense.
  • gynomightgynomight Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd really love it if this didn't make the cape appear and we could use it to make those wing attachments under the arm make more sense.

Same here!

I'm seeing that almost everyone feels the same way. There shouldn't be a cape unless the character is actually wearing one.

I got bat wings on my sides that would like great while gliding ...but with NO DEFAULT CAPE.

Any word on if Champions Online has fixed this issue by now? Wondering if I can buy the travel power now or keep waiting...
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What happens if you have wings on, will the cape disappear? not the arm wings, but back wings? over all they could have done a little more Q&A on this power on the forums to get a good idea of how to do this.