test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Calling All Heroes on PTS

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Canonically, I'm not sure what PTS is -- I'm going to say it's the Earth-2 version of Millennium City. Either way, the parallel dimension of PTS can always use more heroes, especially with some of the upcoming releases for this week. If you've got access to the PTS, jump on and playtest new content today!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    if testing did any good more people would test.

But since the build is so different major problems occur on live that never show up on test, plus many things that get reported still go live anyway
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Reasons I don't test on PTS:

1) nisdiddums is not in the DevTracker, so mostly I don't know when there's a new build to test. Please add him/her and any others that may be missing.

2) Not trying to be negative, but honestly, I have to agree with what serendipitynow comments... Part of why I don't bother to test is that it seems pointless. I played Star Trek Online for years, participating in most Tribble Testing (their version of PTS), and never once was a bug I reported fixed before release to live, in fact there are bugs that I reported YEARS AGO (and multiple times since) that are still in that game. And being in the IT field myself, I provide detailed reports, posts in forums, pictures, etc. Likewise bugs reported in-game and on the forums by others were similarlly "ignored", including fairly major flaws. Yet they still made it to Live.

I've not been so active in Champions Online, but from what I can tell, CO has about the same "standards" as STO, possibly even lower, since it seems CO has fewer people working for it.

3) No rewards I care about. It's not like I'm a paid employee or anything, so I kinda expect to get something I like, for my time. When I test major releases at STO, I get a reward. Usually some kind of in-game item (like a Themed-Tribble "device") and/or perk/title. I saw once here that we could get an Action Figure. I'm not really into those, so not really interested. If item #2 above weren't so true, I might consider the idiom that "Testing should be it's own reward as it leads to a better game", but as it is, this idea feels false.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean to anyone. Just relaying my ideas/thoughts. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings...

:redface:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm down, I'll check it out a bit later. But, gotta say, it'd be WAY easier to test if the gear we got off of the npc test guy weren't so amazingly random, and below what a character of that level would reasonably be using. It's a bit of a pain to have to do the "give me stuff" quest 30 times, and throw away 144 items, just to get geared like a level 30 on live. Seems like, by default, our numbers might be skewed as a result. lol he needs a vendor that lets you pick gear out, and some r5 mods. It'd give more consistent testing, which is never bad.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Do character transfers to the PTS even work? I tried to transfer a copy of my main last night and it wouldn't show up at the PTS.

Also agree with all the points made by everyone else. Sometimes participating in the PTS feels kinda pointless, since stuff is often going to go life anyways, and the gear handed by the debugger guy is too limited and far too weak compared to what characters of that level (particularly lv capped toons) would normally use to do propper tests if building a toon from scratch.

Good point. I can't address all of the things you bring up, but I've added him to the dev tracker.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Good point. I can't address all of the things you bring up, but I've added him to the dev tracker.
    Thank you TT!
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Do character transfers to the PTS even work? I tried to transfer a copy of my main last night and it wouldn't show up at the PTS.

They fixed the transfer site so that all characters show up as options now: http://co.perfectworld.com/community/pts

My characters have been transferred almost instantaneously even thought the site says "in the next two hours".
  • empyreal11empyreal11 Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So, I was finally able to transfer one of my characters to the PTS (I've been trying since the forum update and constantly receive a failure message).

Except, this can't be the real PTS.

First, all of the previous characters I had on PTS seem to have been wiped, so now I have only one character, the single one I just transferred. But a week or so ago I had around 5-6, so this is a very recent development.

Second, I went and full-retconned my newly transferred character to check out the new Telepathy changes that apparently do not exist in this limbo-PTS. Not a single one was there. No Cape Glide either.

Explanation requested, because this is angering.
    The latest build on PTS was rolled back to a Live-like version but with the Destroyer update added on. So you have to recopy characters. Chances are when that testing is done they will set the PTS back to what it was.
  • empyreal11empyreal11 Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The latest build on PTS was rolled back to a Live-like version but with the Destroyer update added on. So you have to recopy characters. Chances are when that testing is done they will set the PTS back to what it was.

-shakes fist- Well, that's better than any of the alternatives I thought of. Thanks.
    I was planning to make this and managed to sleep through it. :(
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I hope so, cuz there was a bunch of shiz on there that I kinda needed...