test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let me tell you why you should hire COH Dev's.

oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Suggestions Box
Preface:

City of Heroes went free to play. I not only continued my subscription every month... All of my friends did the same. Myself and all of my COH friends also spent extra money, even though we got free Paragon Store points, on a regular basis. I was spending $20-60 a month, personally, on the COH store, on top of my sub fee. And a lot of my friends were doing the same. The funny part is that it was mostly spent on trivial conveniences, and at the root of the issue, we just loved our game and wanted to contribute to it.

Suggestion:

Having read all of that, you should know that COH players are not only fiercely loyal to and fond of our Dev's... We are also willing to spend money on things that we like in order to keep them around. If you hire COH Dev's to work on Champions, COH players WILL come. And we'll come with wallets.

I see prominent forum posters and presumably what passes as very dedicated players here in Champions talking about... Doing free survey's to get free Cryptic Points. I see spam ads popping up on your board in multiple threads at a time. The COH Dev team and community team would never let things like that happen, and prominent members of the COH community would never do anything but just hand our devs money when we wanted something.

If you, Cryptic, invest in our Dev's, I guarantee you that you will see a dramatic amount of incoming business, just on principle.

Also, our dev's are freaking incredible. Arbiter Hawk balanced and rebalanced AT's and powersets that existed since launch of COH and COV, and did so perfectly, getting under performing characters to perform at optimal levels. Synapse pumped new sets out that gelled perfectly and felt powerful to play. Our art team made an 8 year old game look like it came out 6 months ago in many cases.

Our dev team was ambitious, friendly, and open. Based on the feedback I've read on the Champions forum by current players, you guys seem to have an issue with open, direct and comfortably proactive communication with your players. Our dev's would fix that. In fact, our dev's are still PMing players on our forums... Out of their own time. After they've been laid off. Because that's the kind of people that COH hired.

Alright, Cryptic. Your community has already stepped up. I've been touched by the community outreach to include us in your game. I plan to buy 3 months of subscription time to your game based solely on your great community, your community Manager stickying a thread in your general discussion, and Back Alley Brawler going out of his way to post on our forums.

I will also be spending twice my subscription fee or more every month that I play your game on your in game market. Because I feel that your game and its community has been most supportive of us.

I think that Champions would benefit from incentivizing more players like me to come here.

This is just the first step for me.

I expect your game to grow because of an injection of the COH community, and the only reliable way for that to happen on a large enough scale is for you to hire our dev's.

So please, Cryptic, hire our dev's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by oneheadedboy on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    'Our' devs also were like that, until they were herded to Neverwinter.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »

This wasn't meant as a slight to Cryptic dev's. This was meant as a way to communicate how important our dev's are to us, and how much better off CO would be after hiring them. There is a very rare chance here for your game to grow exponentially, and I'm thrilled to see that the CO community at large seems to be embracing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2012

pretty much this
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Well they need to be dragged back over here and come and brainstorm with the remaining devs:biggrin:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well they need to be dragged back over here and come and brainstorm with the remaining devs:biggrin:

Without sounding too critical, since I don't know your exact situation here...

Paragon had quite a bit of its senior Dev staff working on a new IP. Paragon was also proactively hiring new dev's and working on this *separate*project, much reminiscent of your NWO IP for all feasible purposes- in consideration to said Paragon project, for at least the last year. We still don't know exactly what the project was, but its progress and existence was conveyed to us often.

While this was all happening though, dialogue between the dev/community teams and the community itself NEVER stopped, or even felt an impact. If anything, we've seen MORE communication since they announced to us that they began work on their new IP. They disclosed that certain senior dev's were moved to the new IP after the hybrid model launched months ago, in fact... And if anything, we saw an *increase* in dev communication after that point.

Now, I know the easy answer here for you guys is, "Well COH failed and CO didn't, sooo..."

Which is a fair "touche," for argument's sake.

But it's not the point!

The point is that our two communities should be working together in YOUR game, which you have welcomed us to, in order to create a better Champions for everyone, and a home for some awesome dev's, which would, as a Champions player, bring more revenue into YOUR game and justify allocating more resources into improving upon your much beloved world- Which I assure you is something that our dev's are very well suited to work with your dev's in doing.

Everyone wins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stonedaemonstonedaemon Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd love seeing Arbiter Hawk and Synapse here. :biggrin:
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Part of me thinks more devs is a good idea. Part of me realizes that we're low on devs, and that can't just be because they felt like it randomly. If what you're saying is true, it might draw initial players. But, how long is "I know X dev" gonna keep people around? And if they start taking losses from the extra manpower, what happens if they have to fire one? we had a dev, Tumerboy, who was pretty universally loved by the entire community. He got transferred, I don't think anyone quit over it. This might be overestimating the value of the dev-player relationship. CoX was a great game, but I don't know that I can get behind trying to CoXify champions for the sake of maybe drawing some new players in. I'm pretty sure if CoXers are gonna come over, they're gonna come over. If they don't like the game, no recognizable name is going to change that. Hell, Tumer went to STO, first. I sure as hell didn't jump ship, that game isn't my cup of tea. Plus, I mean, our devs are pretty darn spiffy, too, you should try chatting with some of em. Trailturtle, in particular, plays right alongside the players while getting feedback and answering questions. And we already have a power balance guy. Gentleman Crush is the man, and has been churning out fixes/new powers like clockwork. So far this month we've gotten stealth, boomerangs, airstrikes, and there's a huge chunk of new telepathy about to go live in a bit.

This also begs the question, have any of em even contacted PWE and asked about this? For all we know, the team might be feeling burnt and not *want* to work on another free to play mmo. That's not to mention the fact that they'd have to learn an entirely new engine which is miles apart from what they're used to, and they're working with all new lore that's based on an existing ip. In CoX, they had the advantage of being able to just make up some ****. Personally, as an ex CoX player? I'd rather see em go develop a new ip.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    PWE holds the purse strings now. If they think they can milk more money out of this game, you'll see more devs. Maybe even CoH devs.

If they feel they're already making all the money they think they can, the status quo will remain even after Neverwinter launches. That's just how companies roll.
    edited September 2012
    I'm completely against this. There is not enough revenue coming in for the CO devs, this just sounds like more mouths to feed just because fans wanted certain devs that would cater to their needs in the team.

Unless they work for free this is just a liability.
  • Options
    vincyrevincyre Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    finalslaps wrote: »
    I'm completely against this. There is not enough revenue coming in for the CO devs, this just sounds like more mouths to feed just because fans wanted certain devs that would cater to their needs in the team.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with this.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There's also no way to tell if they had a non-compete clause in their contract. Even if they were fired, those often say "when your employment with us ends, you can not work on a competing product for X amount of time". They're intentionally vague.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012

vincyre wrote: »
    As much as I hate to say it, I agree with this.

Except Cryptic is hiring, and since we can't see how the revenue books work or how much Cryptic is getting from ad revenue, I wouldn't presume to speculate exactly what Cryptic can and can't do.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i was a city of player for years bought things in the market as well as a subscription...i have been only playing my "free" account now for less than 3 weeks and ive already spent 25 dollars on this game...very much considering lifetime for this game...:cool:
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There's also no way to tell if they had a non-compete clause in their contract. Even if they were fired, those often say "when your employment with us ends, you can not work on a competing product for X amount of time". They're intentionally vague.

That sort of clause may be unenforceable in California (many such are).

Fortunately (?), even if it were enforceable, Paragon will not have a product that competes with CO making the clause irrelevant.

If the company they work for ceases to exist (even if its parent company does not) then that company will be hard pressed to argue for any enforcement of a non-competition clause.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I say PW should hire as many EX-Paragon employees as they can afford :tongue:
    Experiened, local, previous ex-employees are hard to find :wink:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    shilarshilar Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I must say I'm very much against hiring CoX devs. I happen to -like- the system we have, and they would more or less screw it up. If you're going to hire devs, hire good ones, not Paragon devs.
    Travel Power/Costume suggestions.

Example of Comet Flight: Here.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    shilar wrote: »
    I must say I'm very much against hiring CoX devs. I happen to -like- the system we have, and they would more or less screw it up. If you're going to hire devs, hire good ones, not Paragon devs.

So you'd rather waste time and money training people from the ground up to use the Cryptic Engine rather than hiring people who are familiar with the original Cryptic Engine and (probably) won't need as much training because you don't like how some things were done in CoX?
  • Options
    shilarshilar Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    So you'd rather waste time and money training people from the ground up to use the Cryptic Engine rather than hiring people who are familiar with the original Cryptic Engine and (probably) won't need as much training because you don't like how some things were done in CoX?

Some? I left CoX because none of the devs listened to the people ranting about the massive nerfs they put through, and not nerfing the baddies. City of Heroes became City of Zeroes in a matter of months. No roleplaying quality, no good teams, etc. And let's not forget the DIY mission maker they tried... Frankly, I'd rather have a dev that can be trained and will listen (and PW has a good set of devs) than an experienced one that has a "my way or the highway" ideology.

I like this game, and it only needs some bugs fixed right now, no massive overhaul and nerf. If a dev can do only that, good. Otherwise, forget them.
    Travel Power/Costume suggestions.

Example of Comet Flight: Here.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CO's dev team could use all the help it can get, especially in bug fixes. I would be happy to see any capable addition to our team, and doubly happy to see those who had lost work at Paragon quickly get back on their feet.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Let me tell you why you should hire COH Dev's.
    Or indeed any additional help at all!
    There aren't enough people atm to give the game what it's fans feel it deserves.
    Sigh if only we could multiply the current number of subscribers by 50 then we could get a bigger budget and have more guys to do more content but we need more devs to do more content so we can get more subscribers so that.....
    Hmmm taking a confusion break here.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    zoenderszoenders Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Check this out.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/21/star-trek-online-producer-says-game-is-kicking-butt/

Cryptic has hired people from Paragon Studios and 38 Studios.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited September 2012

a friend of mine told me that champions online is making a good profit, while star trek is the one actually hurting some (big license fees ). he got this information because he gets the PWI Financial reports, which anyone can get by buying just 1 stock of PWI.
    so cryptic can afford to hire them and they did.
    Smart move Cryptic
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    a friend of mine told me that champions online is making a good profit, while star trek is the one actually hurting some (big license fees ). he got this information because he gets the PWI Financial reports, which anyone can get by buy just 1 stock of PWI.
    so cryptic can afford to hire them and they did.
    Smart move Cryptic

If the comments about STO vs CO profitability are accurate it does seem odd that STO is the one who has hired Paragon devs, not CO.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    unless they hope they can help STO being more profitable. most people only spend money on something when it's not working.
    but since cryptic bought the license from hero games they have no license fees on this game.
    hero actually leases the content they created from cryptic. $1 a year i hear.
    i plan on buting a pw stock myself as soon as i find a way to only buy 1.