test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'No available character slot' error message

wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Gameplay Bugs
First off, I hadn't played in a month. I came back to check out the anniversary event.
Then I decided I wanted to play a bit for the weekend, so I deleted a level 21 character on a freeform slot and tried making a new one.

The slot was freed up. I tried creating a new character up till the part where I clicked 'Skip Tutorial' before it returns a 'No available character slot' error message and logs me out.

I tried it several times with the same result.

Frustrated that resolving this will likely burn my free weekend to play, I charged some ZEN on my credit card and simply bought another freeform slot.

Guess what?

Now I have 2 available freeform slots that I can't create characters on.

Both returns the same 'No available character slot' error message when I try to make new characters.

Do something.

Ticket ID: 120907-000424
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• megaerik000megaerik000 Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Unfortunately this is a common problem ever since the pre-night avenger patch. Basically past golds who are now silver are affected. And no word from devs on it yet, despite there being several threads on it, totaling around 15 pages. Way to go devs:mad:
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I was only away for a month and this bug was introduced?

Freeform slot is a 'special' slot that counts as a standalone towards any character slot limit, at least that was the case previously.

Having been silver/gold and spent real money on the game amounting to more than a lifetime sub since I started playing this game, I find this bug unacceptable.

I've already partially left this game, but when I decide to log in on the odd occasion and spend real money on my return, I cannot accept that Cryptic willingly takes my money for stuff that doesn't work.

By definition, a purchase is a transaction. Making me pay for nothing in return is simply intolerable.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm having the same issue. Makes me not want to spend any money on this game. Particularly shameful considering how this problem seems to have been an existing one.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yep - just bought one after being motivated by double xp and the 2500zen sale price.

It's not exactly enticing for folks to make purchases when all the incentives can't actually be made use of.
    edited September 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    Yep - just bought one after being motivated by double xp and the 2500zen sale price.

It's not exactly enticing for folks to make purchases when all the incentives can't actually be made use of.
    Hey Roland, I take it you're having the same issue too? Seems retarded that the highest priced item sold is server wide disabled for its customers.

Y'know I haven't been around the past month to grind any Questionite, so I figured I'll just buy another slot at the discounted price for cheap. Seemed like a good decision at the time to keep a spare for maybe winter break to play. Well, at least that gives Cryptic months to fix this issue as far as I'm concerned.

My plan to play this weekend is pretty much ruined. Guess I will stay away from CO this time round too.

It would be more ethical of Cryptic to temporarily cease selling an item when it becomes broken though, I would have taken my money to MacDonald's or something.
    edited September 2012
    Yep, was about to buy 2. Still might, but it's questionable considering I lack enough motivation to level another 40, let alone finding my purchase unusable.
    edited September 2012
    Hey if you're still checking forums, check my thread on this, I detailed a potential solution (not necessarily a happy one) but one I've verified to work for me.
    edited September 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    Hey if you're still checking forums, check my thread on this, I detailed a potential solution (not necessarily a happy one) but one I've verified to work for me.
    Ok, I've just read it. It's a workaround, though I would like to see Cryptic actually resolve this. Thanks for your update.

I have over 10+ legit slots bought before I turned Gold which unlocked double that when I subbed and then some when they hit 40. I'm fine with deleting placeholders but I have quite a number of toons mid 20s-30s, and I'll hate to end up deleting and discover I need to lose those too.

I can wait out a solution since I'm only back once in a while. I simply hope the official response from Cryptic won't disappoint its customers.
    edited September 2012
    All I had were mules and place holders, so it wasn't too much of a stretch for me to clear most out.
    edited September 2012
    So I have received a response from a GM, saying it's the issue of slot limit on a silver vs gold account. I had expected that response.

But here's a bit of history I thought I should share about my experience with freeform slots:
    Unfortunately, that is not the case. A Freeform slot did not use to count towards any character slot limit, being designated as a 'special' slot that it was. It's a USD$50 slot.

This is proven by my history with Freeform slots:
    I had 3 while I was gold and created characters with no issue.
    Then I cancelled my subscription and turned silver.
    While being silver, I bought another 3 slots and created characters with no issue.
    This was before I took a break from the game a month ago in August.
    I returned to this game for the anniversary event, decided to delete a character on my Freeform slot and use it to make another one.
    I couldn't. Nothing's changed from a month ago where I could create a character on this slot while being silver.
    So, I bought another slot to test and it didn't work too.

So something server side has indeed changed during the time I was away such that the slots didn't work for me anymore.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The GM is full of ****e.

My interest in this game continues to drop, given the lack of support and dedication to this game on the part of PW.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited September 2012
    After days of merry-go-round correspondence, I have received a response from a second GM officially acknowledging this as an issue.

His response would also have me believe a resolution is being looked into.

Hopefully, it's a swift affair.
  • drannicdrannic Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Greetings Champions!

It is intended that each Freeform slot that is purchased, can be used to create a character regardless of your current account type and/or the amount of unused normal character slots on the account.

We have looked into this issue and are currently working and testing on a fix for what we believe is the cause of this issue. Keep an eye out for patch notes in future updates for this fix.

In the situation that your character creation issue is not resolved after this fix has been patched, please update in this thread and we can investigate into other possible issues that may be causing this.
    Developer QA Tester
    Cryptic Studios
  • stoanstoan Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The fact that you're possibly working to fix it is great, but the real issue lies in the fact that this has been an ongoing issue yet PW is still selling the slot knowing its completely useless to customers. That doesn't exactly seem right.
    edited September 2012
    stoan wrote: »
    The fact that you're possibly working to fix it is great, but the real issue lies in the fact that this has been an ongoing issue yet PW is still selling the slot knowing its completely useless to customers. That doesn't exactly seem right.
    I'm here to seek resolution through the proper channels rather than be detracted.
    To be fair, it's only quite recently where the customer base as a whole is prone to this issue as opposed to individual cases.

I think it's already great that it's finally:

1. Acknowledged.

2. Being looked into.

Now I'm simply waiting for 3. where the issue is resolved.
    edited September 2012
    drannic wrote: »
    Greetings Champions!

It is intended that each Freeform slot that is purchased, can be used to create a character regardless of your current account type and/or the amount of unused normal character slots on the account.

We have looked into this issue and are currently working and testing on a fix for what we believe is the cause of this issue. Keep an eye out for patch notes in future updates for this fix.

In the situation that your character creation issue is not resolved after this fix has been patched, please update in this thread and we can investigate into other possible issues that may be causing this.
    Quoted, screenshot-ed, bookmarked, committed to memory.
    edited September 2012
    I was basically told No reimbursement would be given.

Considering I spent $75 dollars worth of zen on 3 FF slots, you'd think it would be courtesy for the service provider to provide some compensation for a problem that occurred from their negligence, not to mention having to resort to a establishing a workaround through my own discovery--You know, as an apology for this shortcoming in the service provided and to show that my business as a customer was appreciated.

Keep that in mind all you City of Heroes refugees, that's the kind of service you can expect should a problem arise with your service.
  • airendaieairendaie Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you for your post Drannic, I'm really pleased to hear that this issue is (finally) being looked at. Looking forward to using my FF slot when this is resolved.
    edited September 2012
    stoan wrote: »
    PW is still selling the slot knowing its completely useless to customers. That doesn't exactly seem right.

From our findings, the item is only broken for a percentage of users that have their accounts in a specific state, due to juggling character slots from subscriptions and characters on the account that are currently locked out. For most prior and new silver accounts, this freeform character slot is still working, and these accounts should not see any issues.
    Developer QA Tester
    Cryptic Studios
  • bluephoenix1bluephoenix1 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's not just free form archetypes,it's any of them. I've been having the same problem and I just bought the Invincible archetype..I've even added 2 more character slots..I've also been planning on getting the Night Hawk stuff as well...Please Dev's fix this problem soon cause I really want to continue playing this game...
    edited September 2012
    It's not just free form archetypes,it's any of them. I've been having the same problem and I just bought the Invincible archetype..I've even added 2 more character slots..I've also been planning on getting the Night Hawk stuff as well...Please Dev's fix this problem soon cause I really want to continue playing this game...
    So far, it's only the freeform slots that are independent of character slot limitations.

It has always been the case that locked away Gold characters count towards the total available slot limit on a Silver account. If your total characters (Silver + Gold) exceeds your legitimate Silver slots, then you can't create new characters.

I would like to see CO change progressively as well.

Locked away characters while good in the sense that they can be continued at the player's convenience to pick up a subscription again, add no value to a Silver account. Having to pump money to cover unplayable character slots that is tied to a Gold subscription in order to progress a Silver account is like punishing a player who has turned Gold previously. That account would have been better off economically if it had just remained Silver.

It would make better sense to cap character limits on a Silver account to only playable Silver characters. That includes ones converted from unlocked slots while Gold, so the player would only have to cover those extra playable slots before his slot limit can increase, rather than having to cover all of his locked away Gold characters.
    edited September 2012
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    So far, it's only the freeform slots that are independent of character slot limitations.

It has always been the case that locked away Gold characters count towards the total available slot limit on a Silver account. If your total characters (Silver + Gold) exceeds your legitimate Silver slots, then you can't create new characters.

I would like to see CO change progressively as well.

Locked away characters while good in the sense that they can be continued at the player's convenience to pick up a subscription again, add no value to a Silver account. Having to pump money to cover unplayable character slots that is tied to a Gold subscription in order to progress a Silver account is like punishing a player who has turned Gold previously. That account would have been better off economically if it had just remained Silver.

It would make better sense to cap character limits on a Silver account to only playable Silver characters. That includes ones converted from unlocked slots while Gold, so the player would only have to cover those extra playable slots before his slot limit can increase, rather than having to cover all of his locked away Gold characters.

Actually from what you stated that isn't the case..I don't know where you have heard that...If you are silver and you have bought character slots,you can still use those slots to create new characters..I've done this before as a Silver,so there is no penalty....If you have Gold characters on your account you can't play them,it doesn't mean that you can't create silver characters..Also it hasn't been just freeform,it's been with other archetypes as well considering I'm having this problem where I didn't have before...I have actually been playing Champions Online for awhile now. For almost 3 years now actually,I've been playing Star Trek Online even longer,and I've never had that problem when switching between gold and silver memberships...I'm not trying to sound snarky please by all means don't take it that way...
    edited September 2012
    No worries, that is simply what I know of the system. Since your experience tells you otherwise, you should submit a ticket (if you hadn't already), so the GMs can respond to your issue.
    edited September 2012
    Actually from what you stated that isn't the case..I don't know where you have heard that...If you are silver and you have bought character slots,you can still use those slots to create new characters..I've done this before as a Silver,so there is no penalty....If you have Gold characters on your account you can't play them,it doesn't mean that you can't create silver characters..Also it hasn't been just freeform,it's been with other archetypes as well considering I'm having this problem where I didn't have before...I have actually been playing Champions Online for awhile now. For almost 3 years now actually,I've been playing Star Trek Online even longer,and I've never had that problem when switching between gold and silver memberships...I'm not trying to sound snarky please by all means don't take it that way...

I hosted a whole thread on explaining the limitations, and you really should read it. In fact I had to delete several unused gold characters in order to get my latest FF slots to work even though FF slots are supposed to be self-contained.
  • arekususarekusus Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This bug is still plaguing what's left of this "MMO" and its the only bug I want them to fix it NOW. Not after breakfast, not after CIA Miami, NOW. *bonus cookie to who gets the quote*
  • pamkhatpamkhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The release notes said this today:
    CHARACTER CREATION:
    Fixed a bug that would prevent some players from being able to create a new character despite having available character slots

Unfortunately, though, I still get the "no character slot" message when trying to make my freeform character. I've been gold before, I'm currently silver, I purchased the freeform slot during the half off promotion, and I've yet to be able to use the slot.

Was the patch today supposed to fix it? If so, I'm here to log that it didn't for me. Do I need to submit a ticket now or what? I hate that I basically wasted $25 right now; it makes me question if I should ever support this game monetarily again.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same here. Still have the same problem. I'm never spending money on this game. A refund would be nice at this point.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    pamkhat wrote: »
    Unfortunately, though, I still get the "no character slot" message when trying to make my freeform character. I've been gold before, I'm currently silver, I purchased the freeform slot during the half off promotion, and I've yet to be able to use the slot.

The builds that we're using today are a hodgepodge of old code and new code, since the initial patch failed. It's possible that this invalidated the fix... I've pinged the developers, I'll let you know what I hear back. I want this fixed as much as anyone.
    edited September 2012
    The builds that we're using today are a hodgepodge of old code and new code, since the initial patch failed. It's possible that this invalidated the fix... I've pinged the developers, I'll let you know what I hear back. I want this fixed as much as anyone.

Thanks for the reply. I've had some seriously bad experiences with support on a new, different game lately which forced me away from it. Luckily, the freeform slot was on sale so I was really looking forward to it. I can be patient knowing it's being looked at.

Thank you so much for a kind and timely response. It actually means more to me right now than actually getting the slot fixed. I take community and support personnel very seriously. This response makes me happy I did spend the $25 for the slot because you've really reassured me it will be fixed (and you did it nicely). Thank you!
    edited September 2012
    Greetings!

The patch this morning was supposed to resolve this issue as well as a few others, but there was an unforeseen complication and this issue was not fixed as we expected. We have since got our hands into the servers, and got the fix to work. Please attempt to log into the LIVE shard again, and create your freeform character(s). If you are still unable to create these characters, please post in this thread as soon as you can and we will get our work gloves back on.
    Developer QA Tester
    Cryptic Studios
    edited September 2012
    I was able to make my freeform! Thank you so much for your updates on the issue, and, of course, thanks for the fix. Again, I really appreciate the kind communication you've provided. I look forward to playing when the server's are back up!
    edited September 2012
    No more problems with my freeform slots. Now it seems, we can freely use slots unlocked while gold as silver slots as well. I tested by deleting 2 gold toons and created 2 silver toons. Just wondering if this is intended as the way things will be from now on.
    edited September 2012
    that's how it was before the issue,if you deleted a character,to create a silver one,especially if you bought extra slots(which is how i got most of my slots)....