test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO keeps crashing and restarting my video drivers!

keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PC & Technical Issues
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."

Over and over and over and over again. Be it running around MC, doing the Nighthawk mission or just hanging out.

I am running an HP G62 laptop with Intel HD Graphics, an integrated video thingamabob WHICH HAS WORKED JUST FINE up until Nighthawk.

This also happened when the Nighthawk stuff was being tested on PTS.

I JUST updated my drivers and the same thing happened.

Help please! I just fixed this laptop and I need my fix!
Post edited by keikomyst on

Comments

• keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It happens the most in instanced areas, to the point where I even eventually hit a system lockup (and once, a BSOD!)

The game is almost unplayable in this state.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    When i had something like that some years ago it took not long until my graphics card
    finally died.

However update / reinstall drivers first, and also check the temperature, since it could
    also be simply a problem of overheating.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited September 2012
    I just tried the full uninstall-reinstall of my video drivers, no dice.

Computer is running rather cool while CO's on.

This only happens with CO. I can run other games just fine.
  • exphioexphio Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same things happening to me :/
    edited September 2012
    Update: Costume designer works fine, as does running around the overworld for the most part. As soon as I go into an instance, I can expect almost immediate catastrophic failure.
    edited September 2012
    Still not fixed with today's patch.
    edited September 2012
    Another update: Alerts only have occasional video driver crashes.
  • syntaxessyntaxes Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What operating system are you on? Also - what graphics card? (ATI/Nvidea)

Can you log in to other characters?

EDIT: Got the graphics info, sorry - read too fast
  • remo85remo85 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Logged in to just leave my 2 cents.

Yesterday I had a crash and my screen went black followed by a BSOD when I tried to alt-tab out of champions.

I have never BSOD'd on this computer.

As much as I feel your pain OP, I am sort of relieved to see that it's just this games crappy programming and not some freak mishap that I could figure out.

No game should ever cause a BSOD, that's outrageous. I'm a Tech, I fiddle with PC's every day and to see a BSOD on a PC I know for a fact has no technical issues pisses me off. I even diagnosed the .dmp myself revealing no issues.

With the horrible (Server not responding) issues today and the BSOD from yesterday, you boys need to get your **** together, I didn't pay $30 to resubscribe to a game with no technical support.

Fix it...
  • mattgeomattgeo Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My problems are an exact match of the ones described above. I also have Intel HD Graphics and tried all the same ways to fix it. No dice for me either.
    edited September 2012
    Well, I was able to struggle through the driver crashes to get a new character to 40 at least!

There's really no criteria for when and where the crashes happen, but...

1. It has only happened ONCE in RenCen.
    2. It has happened a few times in the Powerhouse.
    3. It has happened frequently in the Powerhouse testing area.
    4. It has happened extremely frequently in the Powerhouse Battle Station.
    5. BSOD'd in the Why Did It Have To Be Purple? mission due to it happening five times in rapid succession.
    6. Couldn't get through Purple Reign due to four happening in a row before I Alt F4'd to avoid a blue screen of death.
    7. It has happened in the Black Fang alerts, usually one time, sometimes twice, once three times.
    8. Happens in the Powerhouse theater often, normally backstage and around the stairs.
    9. Usually happens when moving the camera.
    10. Happens frequently in the Desert.
    11. Doesn't happen in the Cave and Penthouse hideouts.

I reiterate, other games run just fine. I've been enjoying TF2's Mann VS Machine without a hiccup on pretty good settings.

I also reiterate, this happened on PTS when Nighthawk was first in testing. Live ran fine until the Nighthawk patch hit. This is most definitely not a coincidence.

I really hope this gets fixed, because I really do love CO, it's my favorite MMORPG and is right up there among my favorite games. I can't even RP without experiencing driver failures!
    edited September 2012
    Decided to give the 'delete Live folder' solution a try that was posted in another thread. No dice! Not that it would have worked, in any case, since I'm playing with a fresh install in the first place.
  • diehardx243xdiehardx243x Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Goodness! I'd been thinking I was the only one...

My computer is as follows basically:

Acer Aspire 5742

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    RAM: 3.8 GB
    Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-370M

And as many of you may notice, we share the Intel HD Graphics, perhaps that is why it effects us so?

I myself Role-Play a bit, and you don't know how much hell one can experience in the Club. Seriously.

However, I've been getting the freeze, black-out, un-black, message pop-up several times back to back lately. With the blasted: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."

I've also had moments where it would freeze my computer completely, starting this "WRRRRRRRRRRR" sound of crashing, forcing my to manually shut off the computer and hop back on.

I've had an instance where this happened twice in the time span of an hour.

Like "Keikomyst" says, this happens in no other games for me. TF2 plays fine. League of Legends plays perfectly! It is only Champions Online that has this dreaded effect going on!

At least I have renewed hope in knowing I am not alone...
  • exphioexphio Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Intel HD Graphics card as-well. The game is pretty much unplayable.
  • peersrpgnetpeersrpgnet Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Same issue here, on an Intel i5.

I've done a slew of testing and tweaking things, thinking it was an overheating issue, but I think the overheating is just a side-effect of the graphics crash/restart.

I've been able to semi-reliably recreate the issue in Bunker Alpha of the Serpent Lantern mission. Whenever entering a new room (especially the third or fourth, 'larger' rooms), the 'stuttering' happens. Sometimes I'm lucky and can back up or turn so that I see less of the room, and the game continues as normal. If not, the graphics driver crashes several times and then freezes.

I noticed it mainly started happening after updating to the latest Intel graphics drivers. I am going to try hunting down old drivers and seeing if that has any effect.
    edited September 2012
    Update: Rolling back to old Intel drivers didn't have any effect.

I switched to the DirectX 11 beta (In CO, -> Options -> Video -> Advnaced -> Troubleshooting), and this time instead of the video driver crash-and-restart, I got an error on creating a texture. No idea if it's the same thing, different result, or just a different thing.
  • syntaxessyntaxes Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Honestly guys I just have to say this.

Intergrated graphics like the intel HD don't follow the common programming schema that the rest of the actual video cards have (Nvidea, ATI, etc.)
    So when devolepers are making something, they can't make it work on everything, and they generally put little effort into getting it to function on non-supported hardware. Most of the time it works, and if there is a large number of people that report problems, then a fix is usually - eventually - released.
    My laptop has had some problems with it too, but luckily I can play on my desktop(Nvidea graphics)

Intergrated graphics are not classified as "Gaming graphics" (it's their way of uping the price on certain things) and so little support is generally offered for it.

Not trolling here - this is just generally how it works so I thought I would give some insight,
    hope this helps.
    edited September 2012
    Yes, but the point is that this all worked fine before, and now it doesn't; since there was no patch note saying "Oh, and the integrated Intel graphics on the i3/i5/iWhatever won't work anymore", then this is a bug and should be addressed.

Even if addressing it is changing the minimum specs for the game.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Here's a list of video cards and their relative 'power' between one another.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Yes, they even list Intel 'graphic cards'. The first one (and the ones only on the brand new Intel Ivy Bridge processor line) shows up 20 levels down on the right hand side. This is why these cards barely work with anything.

It's a gamble if they work, and it's something that can change from patch to patch on games.

Sadly, there's really nothing you can do (short of trying different drivers, hope it gets changed in the next patch, whatever) short of buying a dedicated video card.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2012
    As of the latest patch, this is still happening.

Note that it happens a lot less if you crank your world, texture and character detail distance way up.
  • remo85remo85 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »
    As of the latest patch, this is still happening.

Note that it happens a lot less if you crank your world, texture and character detail distance way up.

Hate to ask this, but you did disable on demand patching right?

I haven't read the whole thread, I was having this problem a little and I disabled on demand patching in the launcher and haven't had the problem since.
    edited September 2012
    Yup, I disabled that a loooooong while ago!
    edited September 2012
    Turn your comic outlines on, fellas!

That seems to fix it.

I hate comic outlines, though. :(
  • daxxxxxxdaxxxxxx Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Turn your comic outlines on, fellas!

That seems to fix it.

I hate comic outlines, though. :(

wow , i spent days reinstaling my drivers and reinstaling co and all i had to do is turn on comic outlines ?
    signature2wi.png
    edited September 2012
    Turning on Comic-Book Outline works... so far... and well... I certainly feel stupid now. Of course thankful! Yet still stupid. :I
  • mattgeomattgeo Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The comic style outlines seems to have solved the problem almost entirely. I only get glitches now when coming out of alerts, and even that only happens occasionally. Thanks a lot. :smile:
  • rykonailorykonailo Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Even with outlines on this still keeps happening, much rarer mind you but still going strong here. :(
    edited September 2012
    It happened a few times last night, but was much more manageable to endure. I only counted three at most and they were far spaced out in the night! I don't really notice the lines with "Half-Definintion" turned off.
  • semifamoussemifamous Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ya, if your game causes BSODs, you're doing it wrong.

which is to say...

ya, it's affecting me too.
  • grueishonegrueishone Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's a texture loading problem. Which means comic outlines on, and draw distances cranked as high as your system can take it should do it.
    edited December 2012
    Thread REVIVAL!

I was trying to do Vibora Bay Apocalypse with my friend and the graphics driver crashes were in rapid succession, two every minute, and once five in a row (which BSOD's my laptop) EVEN WHEN setting draw distance for both characters and the world to max.

Real shame too. It sucks when you can't play the most epic part of your favorite game just because the game decided to no longer play nice with your computer's graphics drivers. :/

Ironically, the only thing that works without many graphics driver crashes are... Alerts. >_>
  • bestbubblesbestbubbles Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i'm running Nvida Ti 550 (2) and i get that problem as well. . would happen every once in awhile before, but now .. it keeps happening , alotta times in alerts, and such , i just keep getting the same driver crash and recover message 8(
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I just restarted an old character (my Christmas Themed toon that I only play in the month of December) and have had a heck of a hard time getting the game to work with him. Constant crashes. I have completely wiped the game and reinstalled three times and no dice. He is in Vibora Bay now and the character will no longer load at all. Which sucks because I just put my Hawkwing on him.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited February 2013
    Necro/update!

I think I fixed it.

Check to see if you're running CO in a weird compatability mode. Mine was set to Windows XP SP 3. Turn this off.

Game is much more stable now.

Turning off comic outlines still causes crashes though.
    edited February 2013
    I think I got the fiiiiiiiiiix~

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=452341

And it makes sense too, since I think the CO engine got bumped up to STO's during the Nighthawk update. I did this and it works great now!
  • franziskavhfranziskavh Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would like to offer my two cents on this issue. This exact problem of all my drivers and programs crashing, and even Blue Screens of Death, plagued me for months.

The game ran fine in low-intensity situations, but as soon as I tried to do an instance, I would have a catastrophic system failure.

And I'm about to tell you something you all do NOT want to here:

This is not because of bad programming, quite simply, the problem is with your computer.
    More specifically, the problem is with your RAM overheating.

I know this isn't the same game, but this is my post on the World of -- Well, you know the name of that MMO, but it's censored -- forums (which is the game I was playing at the time where my problems arose.) I am Fransizka, and you can see the hell I went through trying to solve my problem:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758675915

Now, the good news is this isn't necessarily a difficult thing to fix. First, download and install a program called SpeedFan:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SpeedFan.shtml

Next, follow this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhPB8-tyjA

This should cool down your CPU, which is the cause of your overheating RAM. If you have more than one stick of RAM in your computer, switch the ones furthest and nearest to your processor. This will help if the heat has damaged a stick of your RAM.

I know this is a lot of work, but it's so worth it and such a relief when it's finished. I hope I've helped.
  • ipullstringsipullstrings Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First, download and install a program called SpeedFan:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SpeedFan.shtml

Next, follow this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhPB8-tyjA

This should cool down your CPU, which is the cause of your overheating RAM. If you have more than one stick of RAM in your computer, switch the ones furthest and nearest to your processor. This will help if the heat has damaged a stick of your RAM.

I know this is a lot of work, but it's so worth it and such a relief when it's finished. I hope I've helped.

Running with AMD A8-5500 APU 3.20 GHz Processor, 8 GB of RAM, 64-bit Windows 8 Operating System, and a Radeon 7750 HD graphics card. Attempted the suggested action, it had absolutely no effect on the game causing my drivers to die. And temperatures, according to SpeedFan, are well within acceptable boundaries when the drivers crash.
  • thelaw1288thelaw1288 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Something similar keeps happening to me as well, but I don't get the "driver has stopped responding" Windows error. I've just picked back up playing CO with my new computer build and randomly, the screen will go black for 1-2 seconds and the game will return, but with extremely LOW fps. I don't know what to do - I've tried upgrading to latest drivers and problem still remains. It's obviously not a hardware issue because I've stress tested my EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 ti multiple times after this started occurring. I've ran the tests for 30min and the temperature doesn't go above 60 celsius. CPU is absolutely fine as well with stress tests. RAM is fine - ran Memtest overnight and no errors. I have a 600w PSU which should be PLENTY of power for my components when running this old game. Thing is, I can run the latest games just fine with no problems like this. It's really frustrating.

System Specs:
    Intel Core i7 3930k 3.2ghz
    Intel DX79si Motherboard
    16gb Vengeance DDR3 RAM
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce 650 ti 2gb
    Thermaltake 600w PSU

Running Windows 7 64-bit

I can't make new threads yet, but I need help with this please! It's just happening on Champions Online.
  • ipullstringsipullstrings Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thelaw1288 wrote: »
    Something similar keeps happening to me as well, but I don't get the "driver has stopped responding" Windows error. I've just picked back up playing CO with my new computer build and randomly, the screen will go black for 1-2 seconds and the game will return, but with extremely LOW fps.

This is probably more accurate to my problem than it simply crashing, actually. Except my game hard-locks, I do get the driver failure error message, and once the game is freed, it returns with the same results (low fps). However, in extension to that, trying to continue running the computer without a system reboot after said crash, my display as a whole goes completely wonky, as if my video card has suffered hardware damage.

I've since pulled my card, and am running on the integrated card to play Cryptic's games. I'm probably talking out my rear end when I say this, especially since I'm not a computer expert, but I'm wondering if some video drivers are "too new" for the game's coding, even if only a little. I hope someone who actually knows what they're talking about comes by and corrects me on that. :tongue: