test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The eventual migrant

epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Introductions
Greetings, heroes of-- err, hold on-- Millennium City! (Did I get that right?)

I'm Epelesker, and I've finished installing Champions and dabbled in the character creator for a short while to get a feel of the interface. Unfortunately, for me and new games like this, that's as far as I get in my (as you'll read, muted) excitement! I got the game as a gift from a family member--

OK, he spent 13 cents on a boxed copy in Best Buy. Seriously. I was there.

Anyway, muted excitement. The reason for this is because I've been playing City of Heroes for two and a half years. As you can probably imagine (if you've heard about it), news of its closure was shocking and devastating to me as someone who has come up with at least a dozen of thought out concepts, with many more that I've wanted to explore with the content that was being planned.

Essentially, the upcoming loss presents opportunity for me so see how this game is and form my own opinions of it, considering I've heard mixed opinions about CO from various friends and other sources.

I'm sure you'll see me in a starting zone eventually, I'm just going to need some time to figure out what I want. I'll look forward to eventually getting there, soon!

Regards.
----
Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
Post edited by epelesker on

Comments

• Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well we're happy to have you, sad though the reason is. Still, we welcome you and look forward to seeing you in game.

If you have any questions, let us know

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the welcome! When I get in there, I'll probably try to figure it all out myself but don't be surprised if I end up squeaking for something down the road!
    ----
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    These boards are chock full of guides to almost every topic!

But a lot of us just can't resist showing off our -know-whats

So here's a few to get you started...

How to get the most out of the forum, and get a custom avatar and all that...

Forum's customization (Links)

If you want a guide to something.. or anything, it's probably on this list..

Big Box 'o Guides

-note- Some of these guides haven't been updated since the latest changes, but the majority of them are still sound

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh, good! Links! And I'll definitely look up/fave-save the Wiki as well.
    ----
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dont spent to much time perfecting your looks initially. In fact, in some sad poorly thought out way, the game actually encourages you to jump out into the world half naked.

Some time back, the designers felt the game offered far to many tailor options. Enough to intimidate new folks. As absurd as that might sound. So they restricted full access to all the costume parts until you get your feet wet.

Basically, you wont be able to see full array of options until you reach level 10 on at least one character. So, id personally advise too just plunge in and worry about looking fancy later. It should save on frustrations.
  • Options
    mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Anyways - welcome to CO! As a COH player myself, believe me, I understand how awful times are on that end <_ _> I started COH back in 2004, and played on and off until 2 weeks ago (and I'd planned to go back after I24 *sigh*)

I don't really have any useful advice, but I hope you find the game to your liking in spite of the situation. And yeah, what Sockmunkey said about the costume creator - there are a bajillion options, but you won't get to see them all right away <x.x> which is dumb.

At any rate though, I hope you have fun <^_^>

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
  • Options
    lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey welcome to champions Online.

Take it easy, have regular breaks and you should be fine.. i think.. don't stay up too late.

And i know how it feels when a game shuts down. I played exteel when i was young and was with it from start to end until it died. I hope this game brings your hopes up, the community here is fun and always willing to help.

:-)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I have replies to write up! Thank you for more welcomes.

Starting with Sock: This is probably where I'll say I'm having the most difficulty right now. I just got out of playing with the CC again and I'm amazed that there's more initial, and wider variety, of choices here in Champions than I've seen in CoH. (Jaw almost dropped at the proportion slider of all things.) Even with the Lv10 requirement, it's a tsunami of... things. All of the things.

The other issue is the fact that I'm (understandably) going from characters I've intuitively built under the CoH engine. There's quite a few concepts that I've become so attached to and yet I know that there's a few of them I can't adapt to Champions, possibly ever. I'm trying to get into a "start fresh" mindset, but even that's difficult as much as my mind wanders back to thinking about the usual.

I do thank you for the advice, though.

Now, to Mistform: Issue 24 was very promising, yes. A lot of the cool stuff was for VIPs and what not, and I've been playing Premium for several months, but I still like to see progress and getting new things.

Finally, Steffie: "Don't stay up late?" Habits die hard with me, unfortunately. :P

Exteel was something I wanted to look into. Shame that it closed.
    ----
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, Obviously going free form will give you the best opportunity to recreate some of your old characters, with perhaps a few exceptions. COH had a few powersets that unfortunately have yet to make it here in CO.

That said, your best bet initially is to keep it simple. I always recommend starting off with a solid defensive AT like the Behemoth. The squishier DPS types like the Inferno, can be fun, but also frustrating, especially when first learning.

If nothing else, simply ask around. Everyone loves to share their own opinions on what AT does "whatever" better then the others. Most can agree, however, that the premium ones don't always equal better. So there should be no reason to feel like you have to spend to compete or win.
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to Champs online!

If you ever need help on anything,just give a shout out on the forums,and also theres a nice little old promo still going on,you can get a free archetype in it,it uses powers much like the Titan weapons set in CoH,have a good time,and see you in game!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hallo there, Lotar! I took a look at the promotion and I'll consider it.

What happens when an order-abiding citizen decides to use his unusual, ever-changing anatomy to fight injustice and keep the peace?

I'm about to find out.
    ----
  • Options
    thereldinthereldin Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey man! I guess you're going to get some use out of that 13 cent CO copy after all eh?

Send me a friend invite~ My global is @Reldin (of course).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Reldin! I'll be sure to do that right now, before I log and play City for the evening.
    ----
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And apologies beforehand for some of the idiots and random arguments that you are going to hear on Zone chat.

Here's a good thread : http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2367411#post2367411
    for all transferees from COX
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I've been keeping up with that transitioning topic quite a bit since I've been active on the boards, but thanks for the reminder!

I think I can learn to ignore the broadcast. I do it enough on City of Heroes right now. ;P
    ----
  • Options
    just1cohrefugeejust1cohrefugee Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As you can tell from my name I am also just "migrating" from my late home in another MMORPG. I just downloaded and thought it was appropriate to login and post tonight and say " Hi ! " to everyone in Champions Online. : )
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the both of you! Hope y'all enjoy the game. :D I love it, myself. Many people complain about huge amounts of bugs and lack of communication, but-... Well, I haven't really stumbled on many bugs myself, and I don't think I've ever played a game that had active mods/admins/developers on it, except one, which basically just revolved around them popping into random PvP matches and murdering everyone with admin equipment. XD So, don't pay too much heed to the naysayers!
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to CO, epelesker! I think I speak for most players when I say that we have a great community that's more than willing to help you with whatever questions or concerns you may have!

Be sure to get the free Alienware Promo code for CO, which unlocks some free goodies here: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/champions-online-ffa-game-bundle

Keep in mind that there are a plethora of pinatas, (err, I mean, choices), when it comes to gear, costumes, and possibilities. The costume creator is a little limited until you complete the tutorial or get to level 10 at least once. Afterward, you get a ton more options, so withhold judgement at least until you check out the unrestricted one.

I also highly recommend running the starter mission chain until you're at least level 15 - you'll have all your super stats and some decent gear by then, as well as a good loadout of powers.

Lastly, be careful if someone broadcasts in zone chat that they're selling items for aprice that's too good to be true, (check the Auction House price for said item first to get a decent idea of what it's worth first).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    More thank yous for more welcomes! I sincerely appreciate how welcoming and appreciative the Champions community has been so far.

Some of my SG mates from City have recently started playin this game as well. I know that the community back "home" is ramping up efforts to try and keep CoH floating in some way, I'm crossing fingers and seeing how it goes.

CoHrefugee: Well, hallo back to you!

Toolbox: Being as much of a RPer as I am in City, actual gameplay mechanics probably concern me much less than normal. Not that I don't appreciate a well-working game, of course! Like broadcast, I can ignore the dooooom.

Bioshrike: I can tell a City character by looking at it ;P Thanks for all the info and reminders, I do know that some of it was posted up-topic (like the Alienware promo). I may give in and go for it, as much as I hate creating throwaway accounts for one thing sometimes.
    ----
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I hear ya about having to sign up for some site to get the goodies, but this will give you the Devastator AT and Viking costume set, which is worth like $15 in total, so it's worth it IMO. Heavy weapons is one of the newer sets and performs really well. The Viking set gives you, (among other things), a FUR BIKINI!!!!!! :biggrin:
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thought you'd might like to know how I'm doing so far!

In short, things are actually pretty good, in my opinion, even through a bit of a remake. My first character, Lawshaper (for all of my playing with proportion), wasn't turning out to be a concept that I could get into, not to mention I missed something in the tutorial and wanted to better my record after dying endlessly to that first boss (I *did* learn to block at some point.)

I went ahead and deleted the poor guy and rolled up another Behemoth AT, this time to try something else I wanted to really use in this game: size-changing, and came up with... Atomac!

I'd bought a PWE card to spend and it turned out that in addition to the 500 Zen from my box code activation and 100 from the tutorial... I got another 500 Zen? Anyway, in grand total I ended up with 3600 points to spend on things. In addition to the Super-Shrinker and Super-Magnifier, I also picked up the Power Armor bundle.

I spent most of the evening making and tweaking the new guy, touring hideouts (Moon Base!?) and then inviting Reldin over to my hangout to chill, discuss concepts, more costume tweaking, etc.

I got so into things I forgot to visit CoH, so I have to make up for it tomorrow, but I think I might be on to something here...
    ----
  • Options
    ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    if you are now a gold sub (cant remember if you said you subbed or not and to lazy to scroll back and check... gimme a break just woke up lol) the 'extra' 500 points would be because gold members get a monthly stipend of 500 :biggrin: yay!

second, if you want to change your costume you didnt have to remake your toon, you could have made changes at the tailors in ren center. (they are under the curved roof around the edge of the inner circle).... but i can understand rerolling your toon if you want to check out what you missed and basically do a better job now that you've figured out a bit more. regardless... is all fun :biggrin:
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • Options
    errandrunnererrandrunner Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Can some one post the best guide to buying stuff in the game? I notice a bunch of vendors and I think each of them use different currency (or maybe just special items). I haven't even tried again to buy anything (I'm sure that I have a lot of resources from the alert missions (one of my favorite parts of this game)).