test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I wonder...

emeraldcrosshairemeraldcrosshair Posts: 48 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Since vehicles can go from one side of a map to the other in a few seconds do you think they would increase travel power speeds? Otherwise i would see people choosing vehicles over travel powers because of the speed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by emeraldcrosshair on

Comments

• Options
    gonzolo4584gonzolo4584 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Since vehicles can go from one side of a map to the other in a few seconds do you think they would increase travel power speeds? Otherwise i would see people choosing vehicles over travel powers because of the speed.

SHHHHHH!! They will nerf vehicle speeds!!!! lol
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I feel like that was intended. I also feel like the flash can probably outrun the batmobile. So, yeah. /signed. rank 3 travel powers should be alarmingly fast.

Anyone else remember the stupid-fast rocket boot overcharge from beta? Man, those were the days. Rocket boots went so fast the rendering engine had issues keeping up, and if you did it for too long you could break em and fall out of the sky. We need that back, it was too much fun for words.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Rank three travel powers at least need to have some sort of switch to going regular R3 speed to vehicle comparable speed,otherwise,the concept system here will be damaged by vehicles and how people will take them over a TP,even on a superspeed concept toon,that just ruins a whole aspect of this game for me....
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    Anyone else remember the stupid-fast rocket boot overcharge from beta? Man, those were the days. Rocket boots went so fast the rendering engine had issues keeping up, and if you did it for too long you could break em and fall out of the sky. We need that back, it was too much fun for words.

It's not a superpower unless it breaks reality. :biggrin:
  • Options
    solacia1solacia1 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I remember when I was told how they couldn't make travel powers faster as it would break the game. We can see this with Jets, when the game can't redraw fast enough, but it works. So yeah I think we need a boost button for travel speeds, much like DC does for Supersonic flight, oh and COH added that one power too.

Again it could be made just for outdoor usage like jets, just to get across the map. No excuses about not wanting people to go that fast so they play longer, we just get the jet anyway :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Jets make a third/faster travel power.
    Allowing a hero to have acrobatics and teleport or super jump and
    super speed for doing heroic stuff and a jet for zipping around and
    ignoring the content below.
  • Options
    stardiverstardiver Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Not that I have enough seniority to have any say, but to me, it's a mistake to make Vahicles objectively better. Sure, it makes sense that some characters would need a vehicle to travel long distances, but there are also a number who wouldn't. Take, for instance, Stardiver - my namesake. She (and yes, I'm a guy who got stuck with the name of a female character - thanks, Perfect World!) is an automaton from the beginning of time who takes her energy by diving into the hearts of stars - hence the name - and who travels the universe under her own power. No space ship, no vehicle. Just a small chibi "animate statue" who wanders space on a con trail of solar energy.

Sometimes, for some characters, it just makes sense to travel under their own power. Gods and divine beings, celestial aliens, energy beings and so forth.
    |

Of all the things I've lost,
    It think I miss my mind the most.
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Maybe they could do a little tweaking with the TP ranks, perhaps have the current rank 3 speeds unlocked at level 30 and then make a new rank 4 that unlocks at 40 and have that go about as fast as the jets.

Or alternatively because that might mess with peoples' builds (needing an extra point for each TP and all) make some kinda boost button like some of the above have said. Only issue I see with that would be the extra programing involved to both add the function to the TPs and the issue of what button to use. With the jets boost replaces your block but I'm not sure that would be a good idea for a normal TP.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    enixonbb wrote: »
    Maybe they could do a little tweaking with the TP ranks, perhaps have the current rank 3 speeds unlocked at level 30 and then make a new rank 4 that unlocks at 40 and have that go about as fast as the jets.

Or alternatively because that might mess with peoples' builds (needing an extra point for each TP and all) make some kinda boost button like some of the above have said. Only issue I see with that would be the extra programing involved to both add the function to the TPs and the issue of what button to use. With the jets boost replaces your block but I'm not sure that would be a good idea for a normal TP.

first idea seems like it could work i could see how adding a boost button would be a useful too but it would have to be a different key than shift.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    silver5ksilver5k Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A power that works like a toggle?

Toggle on, and go as fast as jets, however you can't use any other powers?

That's how CoH's "Afterburner" operated. It had a cool sound effect, too. :)
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited September 2012
    It looks like machines take over .... we superheroes / villains are no longer the strongest and fastest dudes and dudettes in this universe...

Les kill nighthawk and vanish his jets... lets get us our lifes back XD
  • Options
    kangstorkangstor Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree that this game needs some increased travel power speed. When I first started game at launch I make a copy of my main from CoH who is a speedster sword-user. Compared to each other in CoH I trully feel that I have superspeed eventhough I stuck to stones, columns etc at indoor missions alot. In CO however superspeed and any other running power is just feel like running with an effect. True that I hardly stuck on enviroment in CO but it does not feel better than my character is jogging. Admitedly I only have rank 2 on superspeed but I think it should be able to at least travel fast enough to make me not think three times to go to missions that are at the other end of map.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    maybe some way of turning regular TP into jet speed and back in the form of a toggle,and maybe,if regular powers cannot be used in vehicle speed mode,then TP specific moves,which we have also been craving for a long time,like speed vortex for superspeed,or something for flight in which the character rams the enemy from above at a very fast speed,knocking them up,or for teleportation some kind of increased speed or instant teleportation,like CoH's teleportation functioned,I can't think of anything for superjump though.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    maybe some way of turning regular TP into jet speed and back in the form of a toggle,and maybe,if regular powers cannot be used in vehicle speed mode,then TP specific moves,which we have also been craving for a long time,like speed vortex for superspeed,or something for flight in which the character rams the enemy from above at a very fast speed,knocking them up,or for teleportation some kind of increased speed or instant teleportation,like CoH's teleportation functioned,I can't think of anything for superjump though.

Longer jump distance?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This will never happen because speed is the buy reason number 1# for the vehicles.

:frown::frown::frown::frown:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Never underestimate style points, bjoernr. Hell, I want one just because they look cool. Not 1500 zen cool, so I'm gonna wait till they go on sale, but still. I feel like the jets are mostly selling because of new toy syndrome.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ugh... current R3 superspeed and acrobatics is honestly too fast for many combat situations. You just end up running into everything.

~edit~

I honestly don't mind that the vehicles are faster than travel powers, it kind of makes sense really. That said, I feel it is VERY important to not let vehicles be more effective in combat than individuals with superpowers. I cannot emphasize that last point enough, we do NOT need a "Flight Combat Online: With A Few Superheroes For All"

What I'd be ok with / my two cents:
    • Vehicles (jets, cars, motorcycles, dragon mounts, etc.) are faster than R3 travel powers.
    • Individual players have superpowers are notable more powerful than any become device, including vehicles.

I'd even be ok if the vehicles had no attacks at all, honestly.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Longer jump distance?
    I know about jump distance,I mean't for the special TP move I suggested there,like superspeed having a vortex like thing,flight having an attack,etc.
    bjoernr wrote: »
    This will never happen because speed is the buy reason number 1# for the vehicles.

This game also has concepts,which A LOT of characters don't have the need for vehicles in their concepts,take metahuman characters for an example,people that can fly on their own WOULD NEVER take a jet,and people with superspeed should be able to outrun the jet,so should teleportation,and jet boots should be equal with the jet's speed,but what I am majorly saying here is that if you are have a TP that is not acrobatics,or swinging,then u have no need for a jet at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Wonder woman can fly, she still has that stupid invisible jet.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2012

think on terms of superheroes like the flash,spiderman,iron man,etc.all can easily outrun vehicles,Im just saying that vehicles ruin concepts for most characters here,like say you make a superspeed toon,whose major power is superspeed,and say that toon has a jet,think of how weird and stupid it looks to see someone who can run faster than a jet piloting one.I just hope they make something like TP boosters or something so that these jets won't ruin the concepts for about 50 to 80% of this game.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, Agent, if what we're seeing with the Jets is any indication, they aren't going to be more effective in combat than characters - Happifun is a stock PA AT, and it was able to handle the mobs atop the buildings in the alert much better with its own abilities than with the jet. Did some pretty fair damage to Stone's craft, too.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Flight was not one of her original powers. Few heroes have been so liberally and inconsistently "retconned" as Wonder Woman.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's not always about speed when it comes to travel powers. In fact, some of the TPs have combat-related advantages, and as agentnx5 has stated, R3 Superspeed or Acrobatics is ridiculously fast and unless you have the reflexes of a mongoose, you're going to find yourself colliding into stuff often. Ever try using R3 Superspeed in indoor instances? It's bad enough to make you pull at your hair. Making them even faster than they are at R3 would just confound that problem more. A flight-based TP can get away with being the fastest at R3 because there are no ground-based obstacles to overcome in the air.

Also, due to the fact that the jets cost a whooping 1,500 ZEN each which is a heckuvalot more expensive than any other store travel power, it doesn't surprise me that jets are faster than anything else.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    jennymachx wrote: »
    It's not always about speed when it comes to travel powers. In fact, some of the TPs have combat-related advantages, and as agentnx5 has stated, R3 Superspeed or Acrobatics is ridiculously fast and unless you have the reflexes of a mongoose, you're going to find yourself colliding into stuff often. Ever try using R3 Superspeed in indoor instances? It's bad enough to make you pull at your hair. Making them even faster than they are at R3 would just confound that problem more. A flight-based TP can get away with being the fastest at R3 because there are no ground-based obstacles to overcome in the air.

Also, due to the fact that the jets cost a whooping 1,500 ZEN each which is a heckuvalot more expensive than any other store travel power, it doesn't surprise me that jets are faster than anything else.

Thats a good point.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Flight was not one of her original powers. Few heroes have been so liberally and inconsistently "retconned" as Wonder Woman.
    Few heroes have been in the "Advertising" eye as much as Wonder Woman.
    Every time you hand over the reigns, something changes.
    That's just the way it is.

That said, yeah, she's gotten alot of changes :redface:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Few heroes have been so liberally and inconsistently "retconned" as Wonder Woman.
    Hawkman still holds the title, though...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The jet speed is great, maybe Superspeed just needs to get on their level.

Also, I'm of the opinion that a Become device should be just as good as the closest comparable AT. The Lemurian Become Device BLOWS compared to the Invincible, and all of the devices have become really weak save for the jets, which are passable.

I want to be just as awesome in the air in a cool jet as I am on foot blasting fools with my guns/punching them/smacking them with boomerangs.
  • Options
    txhawktxhawk Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jennymachx wrote: »

That's why we were talking about adding a 'Boost' toggle for TPs instead of making them that fast all the time.

I'm disgusted that PWE decided to relegate our travel powers to inferior options for getting to time-sensitive events like Clarence.
    Waiting for paladins...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    When the vehicle system comes out,the main and only reason I keep stressing this is because not every single hero in CO uses a jet,its plain stupid to see someone who can fly taking a jet,or a superspeeder doing the same thing,they can outfly/outrun the jet easily,all we need is a booster toggle for the TPs,however the only problem with this is that powers and blocks may not look well at a high speed,another easy-to-fix solution,just add special TP moves,like a speed vortex for superspeed or an aerial ram for flight.We need to be able to perform on par with the jets,or they will ruin the whole concept of superhumans with superspeed or flight/teleportation,PAs,everything that isn't a non-powered soldier,vigilante,or regular guy on the street will have his or her concept ruined if they take the jet over a TP,this is the first time I have seen a become nearly outperform us players,hence why we need to have our toons upped with TP boosters,powers,etc.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    txhawk wrote: »
    I'm disgusted that PWE decided to relegate our travel powers to inferior options for getting to time-sensitive events like Clarence.

I would find that a pretty convincing argument if not for the fact that not all heroes would be at the very same spot and at a similar distance away from Clarence's spawn to even start making a comparison.

Add to the fact that if Clarence's spawn happens in seperate instance from that of the player is currently in, then loading time for instance change also has to be considered.

Too many variables involved to use event-specific boss spawns as justification.