test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hobojumpin'

nuka62nuka62 Posts: 6 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
this is a really stupid game i made up for fun earlier and nobody should play it but here it is anyway

how 2 hobojump

1. make a new melee toon, preferably Behemoth or something with unarmed combat, and give them a name that will look weird in the duel dialog box ("A homeless gazelle", "Streetlight", "Automobile", something like that)

2. don the proper hobojumpin' attire: raggedy clothes and a scruffy beard; hats, glasses, etc. optional, make your toon scrawny and gaunt, too

3. level up to around ~4 in the tutorial

4. go back to the place where people first spawn into the tutorial; the spot with all the rubble behind it and the tall building on one side

5. get on top of said building and watch the spawn

6. challenge newbies to duels as soon as you see them move; remember to stay out of sight on top of the building

7. if they accept, leap down from the skies and beat them up

8. /emote cough and gracefully bound away

9. laugh and repeat until you get bored/banned/whatever

rules:
no jumping the same person more than once, that pisses people off (the goal is to just confuse the hell out of them)
no using ranged powers to snipe from the roof, that's lame
keep the names tasteful yet comedic
gracefully leap away after every duel

it amused me, that's why i did it :mad:
Post edited by nuka62 on

Comments

• gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Tutorial trolling?

Yea way to welcome new players..

Please don't

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • nuka62nuka62 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Tutorial trolling?

Yea way to welcome new players..

Please don't

i've helped enough newbies to spend a few minutes being the bad guy
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I love posts like this. It clearly lets me know who to avoid.

Nothing like advertising ones anti-social behavior and then patting themselves on the back for doing it. Pure classy :rolleyes:
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I love posts like this. It clearly lets me know who to avoid.

Nothing like advertising ones anti-social behavior and then patting themselves on the back for doing it. Pure classy :rolleyes:

Amen.

It's like School in the summertime...

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm sure the new COX players will love this.................:rolleyes:

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would teach them right away how to whitelist duels and avoid grief like this one. :/

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Regardless of the game, I've never understood the "fun" in camping newbie spawn points...

I mean, it sounds mindlessly boring to me...

:confused:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As you may know, the Champions online forums have been without a resident Troll since our last one, Shev88 got him/her/it self perma-banned.
    As of yet we haven't found a candidate that combines the paranoia, bile, and sheer raw crazy necessary to fill that void.
    You seem to have some aspirations in this direction so, as a free service, I will offer a rating of your Trolling Experience:

So, my critique of your performance so far:
    1) the title was good. Could be improved, made a bit more provocative, but both solid and creative.
    2)The implementation shows promise but you need to organise a bit first. Get enough people in before hand to make it SEEM like a real fad, not the random firings of a damaged mind that it is.
    3)The post itself needed some work. I like that it had a nearly plausible plot, but it was rather too obvious an attempt. You got a few posts, but not quite enough of the forums' really BIG fish. And no where near the immediate volume or bile for good Trolling thread.

Overall I give this Troll a solid "B"

In most games this would be good enough to win you a shot at the coveted position of Officially Unofficial Forum Troll. Sadly, your predecessor in Champions Online was one of the greats and a "B" performance simply will not cut it here.

You can do better than this.
    Heck, I'M doing better than this right now.
    Look through the Archived Posts for anything by Shev88 and see what I mean.
    You have a big padded cell to fill if you want to be OUR Troll.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nuka62 wrote: »
    i've helped enough newbies to spend a few minutes being the bad guy

"I've donated to enough charities to spend a few minutes taking a crap at their front doors."

It's okay, you get bonus points for the Dan avatar.
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Um...doesn't this take two to tango? They have to accept the duel in the first place...
    jennymachx wrote: »
    "I've donated to enough charities to spend a few minutes taking a crap at their front doors."

Like a boss!
  • man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I love this Idea if we all do it then new players will get so annoyed by the random duel invites from random objects they will be sure the game is broken. Their next step is to stop playing before they spend a cent on the game. This will lead to a fall in population and the game making even less money.

Crawl back under your bridge before you hurt yourself and CO. ( Or you could uninstall the game from 101 computers in rage)
    Sheesh!

Come on people - put the pitchforks and flaming torches away and try and put this whole thing into a little perspective.

First thing's first - it's funny - and funny has been in short supply around here lately.

Secondly, what does it really matter? There are two outcomes to this scenario:

1) User declines duel. I know if I was new to an MMORPG and someone requested a duel, I'd probably say "No thanks!" and be on my merry way

2) User accepts. Proceeds to get pwned. So what? They resurrect a few feet away and carry on with the tutorial with no ill effects. Death is a frequent part of all MMORPGS and I don't think the 10 seconds of the duel-defeat-resurrect cycle is going to be a major negative impact - certainly not enough to make a player quit the game.

Some of you drama queens need to relax a second. To suggest that this action would make every player stop playing the game, stop spending money and lead to the ultimate demise of Champions Online is ridiculous hyperbole.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I wait for a thread of the OP where he asks for Villan-play / Open PvP :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Jerks under the guise of "just having fun" or "teaching noobies" are still jerks.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    this is a really stupid game i made up for fun earlier and nobody should play it but here it is anyway

how 2 hobojump

1. make a new melee toon, preferably Behemoth or something with unarmed combat, and give them a name that will look weird in the duel dialog box ("A homeless gazelle", "Streetlight", "Automobile", something like that)

2. don the proper hobojumpin' attire: raggedy clothes and a scruffy beard; hats, glasses, etc. optional, make your toon scrawny and gaunt, too

3. level up to around ~4 in the tutorial

4. go back to the place where people first spawn into the tutorial; the spot with all the rubble behind it and the tall building on one side

5. get on top of said building and watch the spawn

6. challenge newbies to duels as soon as you see them move; remember to stay out of sight on top of the building

7. if they accept, leap down from the skies and beat them up

8. /emote cough and gracefully bound away

9. laugh and repeat until you get bored/banned/whatever

rules:
    no jumping the same person more than once, that pisses people off (the goal is to just confuse the hell out of them)

You dont think on any level that this is..sad? You dont have anything else to do but turn people away from a game? That would really irritate me, and I am sure it has irritated a number of people...it just isnt funny...:confused:
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think it's kind of funny. I saw what you did there.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    Um...doesn't this take two to tango? They have to accept the duel in the first place...

This SO much.

It's not like this guy is forcing anyone to go along with this. I'm not keen on the idea of curbstomping new players like that either but the "victims" are asking for it by accepting the duel request.

Y'all need to stop taking what other people do so personally around here.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »

Like a boss!

For a newcomer to a game, their first experience shouldn't be having some text bubble pop up, hitting yes because they don't quite understand what's going on in game because they're just at the start of the learning curve, and getting curbstomped by some bully who thinks picking on people weaker and less experienced than him is fun. Choices only matter when the person making them has the information and the experience to make them intelligently. The duel challenge gives you the former, but not the latter.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2012

how 2 hobojump

<...snip...>

rules:

Emphasis added, mine. While I agree with the sentiment of what most people have said, I feel that the OP pretty well already pointed out that this was a joke post- and that intelligent, thinking peoples shouldn't be participating. I realize that that only means that trolls and obnoxious doo-doo-heads will be the only people who do, in fact, play this sill game, but still...

EDIT: I would also add into the rules that the name ought to include a truly ridiculous level- example: "Level 32 Streetlight" or "Level 99 Park Bench"- it both makes it much clearer that clicking 'YES' will get you pwned and makes the flavor of the prank more silly and in line with old-school text-based MUDs and less pure griefing and cruelty to newbies,
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Oh gee, look! :eek:
    An excuse to re-post the "IGNORE" workaround from my "O.P.T.I.O.N.S." sig link! :rolleyes:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Microphallus is a hell of a syndrome, and we should all be sympathetic to the plight of the op.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited September 2012
    Oh gee, look! :eek:
    An excuse to re-post the "IGNORE" workaround from my "O.P.T.I.O.N.S." sig link! :rolleyes:

Your post is the equivalent to shouting "IGNORED" in zone chat.

Grow up, will ya.

zahinder wrote: »
    Microphallus is a hell of a syndrome, and we should all be sympathetic to the plight of the op.

This is straight up uncalled for.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited September 2012
    Your post is the equivalent to shouting "IGNORED" in zone chat...
    Um, yeaaahhh, no.
    Since the "ignore" is still off the USER CP list, it's me offering info. not broadcasting it :wink:
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
    edited September 2012
    Um, yeaaahhh, no.
    Since the "ignore" is still off the USER CP list, it's me offering info. not broadcasting it :wink:

If the info is already in one of your sig links, it's "offered" in every post you make. Additionally, it doesn't work.

inb4 you request another thread to be locked and deleted
    edited September 2012
    For a newcomer to a game, their first experience shouldn't be having some text bubble pop up, hitting yes because they don't quite understand what's going on in game because they're just at the start of the learning curve, and getting curbstomped by some bully who thinks picking on people weaker and less experienced than him is fun. Choices only matter when the person making them has the information and the experience to make them intelligently. The duel challenge gives you the former, but not the latter.

This is pretty much the best explanation I've seen so far as to why the OP deserves the kind of backlash he's getting right now.

It's pure exploitation of a new player's vulnerability as someone who's never played the game before and who is still pretty unknowing about the game mechanics at the time. There's simply no excusing such behavior.
    edited September 2012
    If the info is already in one of your sig links, it's "offered" in every post you make. Additionally, it doesn't work...
    Not going to argue the "validity" of my post.
    It "works" for me.
    Anyone else it doesn't "work" for?
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's threads like this that reinforce my newfound dislike of this game's community.

And no, it's not the OP I'm talking about, it's all the people who lined up to chastise him because they have no sense of humor. Oh, surely, one person dicking around with people in the tutorial is going to ruin new player experience. Not say, the gigantic pile of bugs and broken content, lowbie unfriendly nature of alerts, tailor hiding all the options from new players- and once they hit 40, completely imbalanced content like Gravitard, lack of explorable zones and other solid story driven content, etc. No, it's some dude doing something funny in the tutorial at the slight expense of a few newbies.

Get real.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
    edited September 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »
    It's threads like this that reinforce my newfound dislike of this game's community.

And no, it's not the OP I'm talking about, it's all the people who lined up to chastise him because they have no sense of humor. Oh, surely, one person dicking around with people in the tutorial is going to ruin new player experience. Not say, the gigantic pile of bugs and broken content, lowbie unfriendly nature of alerts, tailor hiding all the options from new players- and once they hit 40, completely imbalanced content like Gravitard, lack of explorable zones and other solid story driven content, etc. No, it's some dude doing something funny in the tutorial at the slight expense of a few newbies.

Get real.

Ah yes, defense of having fun at the very expense of others should always be justified by a whole slew of non sequitur.
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ah yes, defense of having fun at the very expense of others should always be justified by a whole slew of non sequitur.

Use of popular internet catchphrases does not make you smart or right. In fact, in this case it makes you very much wrong. Although, that isn't terribly unusual.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • thecheeseslicerthecheeseslicer Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If that happened to me (which it wouldn't, because I wouldn't accept the dual request), I'd laugh about it. Being attacked by a random hobo would be a funny way to start the game. In CoH, people (Me included) would sometimes teleport new players off the top of the Atlas statue. The new player would mess their pants as they plummeted to the ground, thinking they were going to die. When they hit the ground and still had one HP left and were told it falling from great heights would never kill them, the majority of them would laugh it off.
    edited September 2012
    Not going to argue the "validity" of my post.
    It "works" for me.
    Anyone else it doesn't "work" for?

What validity? You're just trying to jump in on the dog pile of witch hunters this thread seems to have attracted.

And no, the feature does not work. Nobody I've added via that method has actually been ignored on the forums or shows up on my in game ignore list.

Being able to have this "conversation" with you right now proves that.
    edited September 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »
    Use of popular internet catchphrases does not make you smart or right. In fact, in this case it makes you very much wrong. Although, that isn't terribly unusual.

Someone who's made up a purely BS statistic boasting that 90% of the total player base agrees with his point of view is neither smart nor right either.

I'll attempt a response even though I know I'll get dismissed with another "YOU'RE WRONG LIKE ALWAYS" comment anyway: It's up to the new player to decide whether or not the amount of bugs and negative issues concerning the game is enough to ruin their game experience versus the game's strengths and positives. If that BS 90% statistic that you believe in were true in any way, then it would make sense that the 90% would have found greener pastures by now and considering that I've managed to get into full alert teams for hours on end at a consistent basis, I think that's sign enough that that isn't happening (yes I do consider alerts as new content).

How that ties into excusing exploitation of the vulnerabilities of a new player who's just popped up in tutorial for personal amusement, I still don't see the connection, sorry.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thisisgils wrote: »
    Sheesh!

Come on people - put the pitchforks and flaming torches away and try and put this whole thing into a little perspective.

First thing's first - it's funny - and funny has been in short supply around here lately.

If it was really funny why would so many people take exception to it ?

Secondly, what does it really matter? There are two outcomes to this scenario:

1) User declines duel. I know if I was new to an MMORPG and someone requested a duel, I'd probably say "No thanks!" and be on my merry way

2) User accepts. Proceeds to get pwned. So what? They resurrect a few feet away and carry on with the tutorial with no ill effects. Death is a frequent part of all MMORPGS and I don't think the 10 seconds of the duel-defeat-resurrect cycle is going to be a major negative impact - certainly not enough to make a player quit the game.

"Certainly ?" You are certain that not one person would quit the game over duel spam ? You are certainly wrong then.

Some of you drama queens need to relax a second.

Practice what you preach ? You are engaging in more name calling than anyone else in the thread.

To suggest that this action would make every player stop playing the game, stop spending money and lead to the ultimate demise of Champions Online is ridiculous hyperbole.

The hyperbole here is your claim that others are suggesting that this action would make every player stop playing the game. No one said anything of the sort. If you dont want hyperbole perhaps you shouldnt start it, right ?

Responses above.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited September 2012
    If that happened to me (which it wouldn't, because I wouldn't accept the dual request), I'd laugh about it. Being attacked by a random hobo would be a funny way to start the game. In CoH, people (Me included) would sometimes teleport new players off the top of the Atlas statue. The new player would mess their pants as they plummeted to the ground, thinking they were going to die. When they hit the ground and still had one HP left and were told it falling from great heights would never kill them, the majority of them would laugh it off.

So how did you deal with the ones who didn't laugh it off and thought it was uncalled for?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    "Certainly ?" You are certain that not one person would quit the game over duel spam ? You are certainly wrong then.

OP said NOT to duel spam someone.
    -snip-

Again I'm not advocating the OP's choice of pastime but I seriously doubt someone losing a duel in the tutorial will make them ragequit.
  • thecheeseslicerthecheeseslicer Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So how did you deal with the ones who didn't laugh it off and thought it was uncalled for?

I explained it further, and offered to help them out a bit if needed. I very often helped out new players anyway, so I didn't mind making up for pissing them off by giving them a hand or explaining stuff to them.

It wasn't something I did often, and I think I only ever had one person complain about it. Once I'd explained, and given them some tips for the lower lvls, they were fine about the joke I played on them.
    edited September 2012
    Right...

Going through the OP's post another time, considering the fact that the OP shows restraint and a level of respect by not spamming the same person with duels...

...and by keeping the toon name tasteful...

...and also to leap away gracefully (which I assume is to say "just disappear, don't rub it in")...

...and also due to the fact that duels can be declined and are not forced onto the receiver of the challenge...

I'm going to change my stance and agree that the backlash is a little harsh and withdraw whatever I said.

The Dan Hibiki avatar really helps though. :tongue:
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A disheveled bearded hobo has challenged this thread to a duel!

The disheveled bearded hobo wins! This thread is defeated!
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.