test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Conviction V.S Devour Essence

gonzolo4584gonzolo4584 Posts: 121 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Power Discussion
On my on going quest to better myself I have come to another crossroads. Which of these two would serve me better for my PVE/Duel might tank..Conviction doesnt need a warm body but Devour Essence is perfect for fights like grav where I'm in constant close proximity just leeching off of her. I just realized I rotate through powers like a merry go round, lol.
Post edited by gonzolo4584 on

Comments

• beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Devour Essence .. but you are in high danger then to don't use your might skills anymore :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm curious how it can be both pve and a duel tank. Pve is far less restrictive and really just allows you to build in the survivability desired and focusing the rest on efficiency, or in a tank's case, CC/CS for threat gen.

Conviction is pretty common across pvp builds, and for msa users its a solid choice.

DE is quite nice, and using it to root your target can be particularly helpful.

If you're truly focused on might, conviction will generally serve you better. Just like beldin said, with DE you may just end up using that primarily altogether.
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What other attacks do you have? If you have some other ability with higher damage or threat generation, you'll probably want Conviction so that you don't cut out time you could be using for other attacks.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm thinking PVPers that read this will be grinning like sharks.
    Oh well back to practicalities
    Devour Essence is the best choice for a PVE build who wants to tank a single target, it applies Crippling Challenge every tic, has low cost, takes advantage of Supernatural energy unlock and heals while doing fairly nasty damage to boot.

A tank by the way is a hero who takes all the bad guys attention and in so doing enables the DPSers to get on with their jobs. This is not the same thing as a survival DPS build.

You knew that but thought I'd say it again just in case...

In PVP however it may as well not be there.
    PVP at this time is about long range attacks and nobody is just gonna stand there while you heal yourself at their expense. You just won't get the chance to use it.
    So Conviction is definitely the better choice for a PVP build and a well statted AOPM build (all the rage atm btw) is gonna like heal em right up to full with one or two applications.

TBH.. If you wanna do freeform PVP then do the PVP flavour of the month build. No offence meant but you don't sound like you have the experience to get by in PVP using a concept build. The AI in PVP is just too unforgiving.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • syntaxessyntaxes Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    He didnt say PvP, he said duels :biggrin: There is a huge difference

First off let me start off by saying please dont make a flavor of the month AoPM PvP toon - you wont like it and niether will we. There are plenty of us melee ppl that duel all the time, just go to the circle sometime - we just dont join the hero games with the exception of zombie. BASH and UTC is dominated right now with ranged force cascade users so its not as fun.

DE is good to use if you have an attack that can put stacks of poison on them, that is one of the main upsides of that. Either one can be viable, as you can use lunge + DE with the root adv to stop ranged and bouncy toons in there tracks, but they do jump away as soon as you have to stop for a min so be warned.

Conviction is nice, but its kinda meh for me, I dont use it because its so common but thats my own humble opinion.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    haha they think roots work in pve or duels.

http://www.oneyearnovel.com/images/LaughingGirls_laptop.jpg

If you find more than one out of 10 people who hasn't specced as range so that roots don't lock them down anymore, in a pvp scenario? I'll eat my keyboard.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited September 2012

If you find more than one out of 10 people who hasn't specced as range so that roots don't lock them down anymore, in a pvp scenario? I'll eat my keyboard.

First off it *does* work in PvE. (Unless you meant PvP?)
    Second, he never said anything about PvP - just duels, there is a difference.

I can honestly say that I havent run across a single toon that doesnt get rooted at least for a short while, by my Ego Blade Frenzy, and very few who havent been affected by my void shift (a lunge)

Third, I did say dueling vs. other melee didnt I? Yep, I did.

And forth, there are always counter measures: I dont care how much you spec into not being affected by root, if I take Manipulator I hold you until your unborn child dies of old age.
    edited September 2012

It wouldn't work against me or most of my peers as we'd just get out with ascension if needed.

The root works in pve, just not against the usual immunes.

Duelers aren't generally as competitive as the regulars in HG, so they have a bit more freedom in their power choices.
    edited September 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    Duelers aren't generally as competitive as the regulars in HG, so they have a bit more freedom in their power choices.

You spelled generic wrong :biggrin:
  • gonzolo4584gonzolo4584 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I duel mostly and understand that in the actual pvp arena I would get crushed..believe me Ive taken novacain into bash. While I wasn't splattered as easily as I thought I would, I was no where near as efficient as the builds specific for PVP. That being said I would have taken the root advantage for devour essence since I usually tangle with bunny rabbits that bounce all over. Now that I know that a lot of people spec to not get rooted my choice is made.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I did mean pvp.

And, well, wtf good is a half second root gonna do when you're relying on that power for healing? :)
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited September 2012
    And, well, wtf good is a half second root gonna do when you're relying on that power for healing? :)

Touch? :biggrin:

EDIT: Ok thats funny, Im leaving the original up, but I meant to say Touche - Apparently champions doesnt like the accent
    edited September 2012
    syntaxes wrote: »
    You spelled generic wrong :biggrin:

Oh there's still variety, just takes a vet to be able to make out the differences ;)
    edited September 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    Oh there's still variety, just takes a vet to be able to make out the differences ;)

Oh I bought this game at walmart before it went Free for All, you would be surprised at how similar you are to each other.

Don't get me wrong, I know you guys are strong, I just prefer to play something unique. Actually the whole AoPM/Imbue/convcition/force cascade is about the only build I cant beat. I just have trouble with how fast you move - That and your not quite squishy enough for me to catch and one shot :biggrin: