test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help me in my transition from CoX to CO

xvoltakxxvoltakx Posts: 28 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Greetings, all !

I am heart broken about my beloved baby, CoH. I am a devout player. I started with CoH since 2006 and I have been there until now, the end. I love CoH. I love how easy the system is to build your character, and I especially loved the ease of enhancements and I knew exactly where to get the normal ones and the SUPER enhancements.

I went to the market and bought all my stuff or, back in the days, went to the store for that origin and got them, and done.

I want to come to CO as it is the closest thing to CoH out there. I love super hero MMOs.

I want to learn how to build really effective toons. That is something I will miss about CoH. I knew exactly how to make a powerhouse out of any toon I touched. So I don't want to be playing gimped. I am a powergamer, and I loved DOMINATORS in CoH.

I would like to play something like it, or I will settle for controllers. In no other MMO have I seen anything like Dominators in CoH.

I also like to play range who are or could become powerhouses, like Tim Manipulation Defenders in CoH.... yummmy !

I am a loyal player, loyal SG member, dedicated to playing and I love finding anything that will give me a challenge and I love using my wits and technique to do the amazing :)

I will never, or maybe I will, play anything again like my Plant/ Dominator....

Someone please point me in the direction, or invite me in the game to your team or SG. Show me the way, and I promise you I will make it count.

For any other ex or current CoH players, I am --

Spiked Tomato-- Plant/Thorns Dominator

Abysmal Terror -- Super Strgth/Fire Brute (until now the best/fastest farmer on Freedom server)

Abysmal illusion -- Dark/Dark Dominator

Thorny Johnson -- Earth / Thorns Dominator

Terra Shock -- Earth/Earth Dom

Abysmal-Illusion -- Illusion/Radiation controller (infinity from OSHA Academy)

Mentaliza -- Arachnos Widow

Gloomy Johnson -- Dark/Poison Controller

Abysmal Ice-- Ice/Super Strength Tank

many many more...

** Original member of the great Repeat-Offenders , what used to be the biggest network of players in CoH ***

Global handle at CoH -- Voltak

*&* I AM A GOLD MEMBER OF CO *&*
Post edited by xvoltakx on

Comments

• jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Try under the Combat and Powers Subforum Builds and Roles.
    They have a vast number of guides available for any and all situations.
    Keep and eye out for any guide by a player named Pulsewave or Kenpo. These are the undisputed build kings of Champions Online. ANYTHING from one of their guides will be beyond good.
    Look in a sticky called "The Big Box O' Guides".
    Hope this helps.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dominators... One thing you can't really make here in CO...

CO's issue is it lacks the instant, powerful holds that CoX had, and some things are just flat out completely immune to holds. No purple triangles, no magnitude threshold, just flat out immune. Manipulator is SUPPOSED to help with that, but because anyone can give a target stacks of mezz resistance even without actually mezzing them, it doesn't really do what it's supposed to.

There are a few things that come close, I suppose, like Ice Burst with the "Freeze, Dirtbag" advantage, or Bolas from the gadgeteering set I think, but since they trashed maintained holds one of the better ways of making a dominatorish character is gone.

There is a rumored full size hold review somewhere in the future, but honestly I wouldn't hold my breath, pun not intended.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • xvoltakxxvoltakx Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you very much. I guess with Free Form, I can pretty much grab the best of everything or specialize the builds in a rather neat way.

I will look at those guides too.

I will keep my eyes open to the controls issue.
  • mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    One other thing to know about holds in CO:

Doing damage to an enemy damages the hold as well. So unlike COH where you could lock a guy down and beat him down, in CO if you lock someone down, you'll have a fair chance of knocking him back out of the hold in the process of beating them down.

On the other hand: Combat in CO is REALLY fast - it's rare to have a non-Legendary level fight last more than 30 seconds-1 minute, and most fights are done in under 15 seconds.

So even if holds were stronger, I find their utility pretty dubious in most circumstances. Now that said - Bolas from Gadgeteering does a pretty good job of being useful even in very short fights because you can tap it and still get a decent duration control out of it. Hopefully if they change holds, that'll be the mold they follow.

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Your best bet with holds is to pick ones with effects that persist after the hold breaks.

Ego Sleep, for example, has an advantage that afflicts a target with Fear after the sleep ends. Even if the sleep lasts for less than a second, applying Fear to a bunch of targets is a nice debuff (reduces damage the target can do).

Then you have specialization options. For example, the Presence initial spec tree has Vulnerability: Your Paralyze and Sleep effects now decrease the target's Resistance by 5%/10% for 5 seconds.

Again, maybe that paralyze or sleep doesn't last very long, but hey! -resist!

So while it's frustrating how limited Holds are, they can merge fairly seamlessly with debuffing.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Try Ego storm with the advantage called "Malevolent Manifestation" Its probably the best AOE hold. Note the hold isnt as good without the advantage because if any target in the AOE breaks the hold, the entire hold stops.

Ego Sleep
    is a CC thats harder to use in teams because damage wakes targets up, but the power "Ego Sprites" can damage sleeping targets without wakeing them up.

Grasping Shadows is another AOE hold people seem to think is "ok". You may want to try it out in the Power House.

Here is a link to the manipulator
    toggle that boosts your Crowd control and damage. This power is the only one that will let you hold higher ranking mobs.

Ego hold is one of the few single target holds that let you charge the hold while moving.

Bolas is a gadget hold and does not have to be charged fully to hold. Many say that its the best single target hold at the moment because it activates the fastest.

Lastly, the Telepathy framework (home of ego storm and ego sleep) is being updated rite now, you can keep up to date on that in the pts forums.
    An aoe hold like ego storm combigned with some of the new telepathy powers may help you build something dominator like.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited September 2012
    Well, I am very glad all of you opened my eyes to how it works here. When it comes to crowd control, it is a whole different game than CoH.

My decision for now is to make a range toon with very good survivability and solid damage.
    I will have to renounce to the idea of playing with holds in this game since the mechanics is just too different than what I wanted.

***EDIT*** I just saw the post from SigmaSeven. It looks like I may be able to to build the toon with crowd control.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    xvoltakx wrote: »
    My decision for now is to make a range toon with very good survivability and solid damage.

For leveling you can make a lot of good builds with DEX / CON / REC as superstats and using
    Invuln as passive and Form of the Tempest as damage form. At 40 you can maybe respec
    to EGO / CON / REC with Concentration when you have items with high +crit so that you still
    have a very high crit rate without Dex and higher base damage from Concentration and Ego.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I also highly recomend you search for posts by or contact directly the player named "gamehobo". This person is a big Crowd Control advocate and knows the most about CC builds.

You can find him/her lurking around the PTS forums.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited September 2012
    I am level 6 right now, freeform, and here are my stats -

Strngth 10

Dex - 75

Con - 10

Intel - 31

Ego 13

Presence 10

Rec 36

Endu 31

Cunning Gloves, Endu Jacket and Rebounding helmet are affecting my stats here, FYI.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Don't worry too much about gear until maybe like level 15, you won't be getting anything really good until then, and even then you'll outgrow it soon enough.

I would also suggest to hook up with a good SG like S.E.C.R.E.T. or the new one that I'm in that Mother's Love and some of the other forum regulars with an amazing knowledge base have just formed specifically for former CoX players to ask all the questions they would like the name of which I currently can't remember.

Or both (both is best), we're not territorial up in here, we're one giant community, a great big happy family.

>_> Except for the Brazilians.....

I'm totally joking, they're awesome people who are very friendly, they just happen to be the biggest sub-group of players lol
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    pion01 wrote: »
    I would also suggest to hook up with a good SG like ... the new one that I'm in that Mother's Love and some of the other forum regulars with an amazing knowledge base have just formed specifically for former CoX players to ask all the questions they would like the name of which I currently can't remember.
    That's Paragon Alliance, IIRC...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Or if your brave search for posts by a player called Bezzy.

I say if your brave because if you want to get the wisdom Bezzy has (yeah a sentence with Bezzy and wisdom :P ) on troller toons you will have to negotiate through much NERD RAGE >:C !

But yeah Bezzy is the best troller player CO has.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Or if your brave search for posts by a player called Bezzy.

I say if your brave because if you want to get the wisdom Bezzy has (yeah a sentence with Bezzy and wisdom :P ) on troller toons you will have to negotiate through much NERD RAGE >:C !

But yeah Bezzy is the best troller player CO has.

lawlz.... yeah. :biggrin:
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want to learn how to build really effective toons.

See the two links in my signature. One is on how to build your own heros and the other is a list of viable builds that you can use as templates. Many have explanations as to why certain things were selected.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    pion01 wrote: »
    ...I would also suggest to hook up with a good SG like S.E.C.R.E.T. or the new one that I'm in that Mother's Love and some of the other forum regulars with an amazing knowledge base have just formed specifically for former CoX players to ask all the questions they would like the name of which I currently can't remember...
    jonsills wrote: »
    That's Paragon Alliance, IIRC...
    Actually, it's "Paragon Refugees".
    I know because i'm the admin. and i lost the argument to simply call it "PARAGONS" :frown:

(that name being so close to the one "Corp" runs)
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Okay, then who are Paragon Alliance? Seen a few of 'em around the past couple of days... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Okay, then who are Paragon Alliance? Seen a few of 'em around the past couple of days... :smile:
    Not a clue.
    When the chat system comes back online i'll let you know :frown:
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There's two supergroups running around with members from CoX, one is Paragon Alliance who were formed in the chat channel Paragon Refugees, I'm not sure who the other group is though, I may have to refer you to EvilTaco to tell you that.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    There's two supergroups running around with members from CoX, one is Paragon Alliance who were formed in the chat channel Paragon Refugees, I'm not sure who the other group is though, I may have to refer you to EvilTaco to tell you that.

Most of the CoX people are coming together in the channel CoX actually, which is the oldest City of Heroes channel. Been trying to help get as many consolidated into that channel instead of having everyone spread all over hell and such :wink:
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited September 2012
    Most of the CoX people are coming together in the channel CoX actually, which is the oldest City of Heroes channel. Been trying to help get as many consolidated into that channel instead of having everyone spread all over hell and such :wink:

I knew I forgot to mention something...
    edited September 2012
    You guys realize how much this means to us. You might not know I would never leave CoH, but as it is, we have to. I love the Super Hero genre. This is the only alternative for me.

I thank you for turning me into an avid reader of these forums.

I thank you for the community. This is one thing I thought I would never have in any other MMO once I leave CoH. The forums here are heading in the way I like it to be. There is lots of room for improvement. At the heart of it is the responses and the efforts of those who love the game.

Please, take note of my global in game -- xVoltakx -- I am a former member of Repeat Offenders in CoX.
    Once I get the hang of things here, and I learn how to build and handle gear, I will return the favor and pay it forward.

I considered myself an expert with Mids and creating very good builds in CoH. But more than anything I just love to play.

Send me an invite please. Tell me you saw this on the forums. Thank you.

Perfect World, please buy CoH. It has sooo much to offer. I will have to say, please take the development team. War Witch, Synapse, Positron... and their whole art team....

CoH with someone else as a team is not CoH.
  • zoriyxzoriyx Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Thank you very much for this info. I've been in game for about a week toodling around, but it's been so darn quiet (not counting zone noise :P). I'll give it a looksee!
    edited September 2012
    That would be the "CORP" SG, and why i lost the argument for calling "Paragon Refugees" into simply "PARAGONS" :frown:
    Do you want me to talk to @Mothers_Love and ask her to funnel "Paragon Refugees" your way Spar? :confused:
    Because personally, i agree that all the CoX refugees would benefit more from being under ONE umbrella than many :cool:
    edited September 2012
    I knew I forgot to mention something...

Invite away, or send them my way, sure.

I just had (in-game) someone broadcasting they were there to help CoX players with whatever they needed.

Unfortunately, this kid (and I think it was an immature teen or so) tried to hussle me 2-3 times saying that for 5 gold I could get adventure packs from him so I could level easy, or 2 great costumes for the 11.5 gold I have....

Not a good start.

Anyone mature willing to help would do much better. I will join chnl right now.
    edited September 2012
    I joined the chnl Paragon Refugees. Ty for the suggestion.
    edited September 2012
    I joined the chnl Paragon Refugees. Ty for the suggestion.

I'd change over to CoX as we're shutting Paragon Refugees soon to consolidate everyone under one channel.
  • ks60ks60 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I sympathize, bud. The news of CoX's closing was horrific. I felt exactly like I did the last time I lost an entire online community: when Q-Link closed down in the late '90s.

A difference between CO and CoX that really threw me was having to learn to block during combat in CO. I was having trouble adapting to it, having been with CoX for so long, until I thought about keybinds. Using the SHIFT key to block was difficult to do quickly, since I use my left hand and the keyboard (set up like CoX's) to do movement. So I moved it to the TILDA & ACCENT key, up there above TAB. That made blocking much easier to use. That, and learning to watch for the BAMF signs telling me when to block, have greatly increased my toons' lifespans. You'll have to reset the keybind for each toon individually, though.

Also, for some odd reason, my flying toons don't automatically fly level - they always start out angled a bit downward - and I don't know what to reset so that level flight will be automatic. You might watch for that when you hit AUTORUN after starting a flight.

A difference that I guarantee you'll love is the energy-builder power that each toon gets first thing. Set it to autofire, and you just need to pause for a bit to let it rebuild your energy (endurance) when it gets low. Also, the colored spheres that drop from a fallen opponent are like inspirations, but they're for immediate use only; you can't save them for later.

Approach CO on its own merits as a separate game, rather than a CoX spinoff, and it's great fun. Enjoy.
    edited September 2012
    I joined the CoX chanl. I am also having a rough time with my Elec free form blaster. I will have to practice for the block. In the mean time...OUCH ! Also, this is looking more and more like Melee Online. My first impression is that it's 7 melee for every support or range toon. It's hard teaming with a bunch of melee. I draw tons of aggro and melee don't help me one bit. :)
    I am signing up for the blocking seminar :)
    edited September 2012
    I joined the CoX chanl. I am also having a rough time with my Elec free form blaster. I will have to practice for the block. In the mean time...OUCH ! Also, this is looking more and more like Melee Online. My first impression is that it's 7 melee for every support or range toon. It's hard teaming with a bunch of melee. I draw tons of aggro and melee don't help me one bit. :)
    I am signing up for the blocking seminar :)

Just to let you know, you are playing the most Glass Cannon-ish of the Archetypes. Once you level up a bit, you will find that not much will survive your ranged attacks long enough to ever lay a hand on you. But until then, a good friend playing a Tank or other heavy Melee character comes in most handy. Also note that you can get Healing Patches from Karnaki The Great (dude dressed like an old-timey magician in Ren. Centre) or in exchange for those MCPD recognitions that you will be getting so many of.
    If you want a more durable Ranged toon, think Glaciar (Ice Power Set).
    Hope this helps.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Just to let you know, you are playing the most Glass Cannon-ish of the Archetypes. Once you level up a bit, you will find that not much will survive your ranged attacks long enough to ever lay a hand on you. But until then, a good friend playing a Tank or other heavy Melee character comes in most handy. Also note that you can get Healing Patches from Karnaki The Great (dude dressed like an old-timey magician in Ren. Centre) or in exchange for those MCPD recognitions that you will be getting so many of.
    If you want a more durable Ranged toon, think Glaciar (Ice Power Set).
    Hope this helps.

Frankly the game is more fun with teamplay, and it's kind of needed if you're an archetype.

You can technically solo most content in the game until you get to high-levels, but it's not as fun that way. Mission chains are designed to help you and a teammate learn how to play together and improve your own skills and your teamwork skills.

Try to avoid Alerts if you're new please.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bumping to make sure game content threads aren't knocked off the front page.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Yes, thank you for the advice. I am trying to avoid Alerts. I am doing mishs from the Socrates computer.

Alerts are the same thing over and over and not much chance to learn how to play better.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes, thank you for the advice. I am trying to avoid Alerts. I am doing mishs from the Socrates computer.

Alerts are the same thing over and over and not much chance to learn how to play better.

They will give you a good idea of how to group better, how to contribute to a team better. The problem is when people try to do that, without knowing their own character or how it can contribute to a team, first.
    edited September 2012

Alerts can be great fun, especially the Nemesis Alerts where you get to ogle all the player created Nemesises and show off your own! However, it does help a lot to have some basic understanding of how your character functions and reach level 15 or so to get your Passive, a nice attack, and all three Super Stats. I would, at first, recommend Black Fang Dockside Dustup. These Alerts are easy to do, only take two minutes and give a nice X.P. reward. And if the Epic Fail Fairy comes to call? You're out all of two minutes of your day.
    Be warned, however, there are some alerts that are MUCH harder. Any Dockside Dustup is fairly nice. Soul Siphon takes a little more practice. Radiation Rumble is a little harder still. You should get some real practice before hitting Two Minute Drills, Trainspottings or Recruiting Drives. Pyramid Power can be a monumental pain is you don't have a decent team. The Rampage Alerts are TOUGH, even for Level 40's, especially for some character classes. Be prepared to fail a lot until you get your legs under you and do a bit of research before hand.
    Hope this helps.
    And if you are a hopeless Altoholic like me (39 character currently and a least three times that number made and deleted over the years!) you will now have absolutely no choice what so ever but to create a Nemesis called The Epic Fail Fairy........
    ^!@%$#^%$#^! Imagination!

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I actually prefer the Soul Siphons to Dockside Dustups. You get more time on the clock and there are no extra henchmen to distract folks initially. You simply dive in and pound the boss. Hard to not know where to start.

The only real problem is the worms, and that can be mitigated by simply pulling the boss out to the street. If the group can do that. Soul Siphons are mindlessly simple.
    edited September 2012
    See the two links in my signature. One is on how to build your own heros and the other is a list of viable builds that you can use as templates. Many have explanations as to why certain things were selected.

Thank you very much. I saved the page.