test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help for a returning free formed telepath!

dotx3dotx3 Posts: 6 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Builds and Roles
I'm returning after a 2 year leave, and I don't know if the game has changed, or if I have just forgotten everything, but I am completely confused!I have to now respec my lvl 32 charter, and I could really use some help!

Background of character
She's a free formed telepath.
Essentially, I just want to do mass amounts of ranged dps and be able to live to talk about it :biggrin: I'm not very interested in sleeps/healing/pets.
She uses Regeneration.

STATS:

My super stats are: END, REC/CONS

At lvl 32 my stats are as followed:
STR- 10
DEX- 55
CON- 127
INT- 10
EGO- 38
PRE-10
REC- 128
END- 129

Now, this is where my questions comes in, I remember back in my day the EGO stat was NOT very crucial in any telepathy build (at least that's what I was taught, sorry if I sound stupid). But I asked around in game, and everyone told me it was detrimental! So should I power up my ego stat, or any other stats in particular? Or are my current stats good for the character I'm trying to make?
Please respond with any information you could give me, I am very grateful! If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks again!
Post edited by dotx3 on

Comments

• svajdasvajda Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Anyone who says ego is not important to a range dps of any kind is giving bad advice. Ego is THE stat that boosts ranged damage, if you take mentalist melee attacks, it replaces STR as the damage boosting stat.

You may want to reconsider regen, it is better than it used to be, in that it has damage resistance, but that goes down as you take damage, in otherwords the more you are hurting, the more damage you take anyhow, though your regen does heal more after more damage, its still not a very good trade IMO.

If you want a defensive passive, which are mostly beneficial for team play or soloing, I would suggest something else, defiance is great for soloing or tanking, and gives you energy when you take damage, invulnerability gives a flat damage reduction % at all times and stops a small portion of damage from ever hurting you, its great for soloing groups of stuff.

Also, with ego sprites, a damage reducing passive will make more sense as you can put advantage points into ego sprites healing you.

If you mostly enjoy team play I would suggest against using a defensive passive, and instead take an offensive passive if you mostly like to be DPS, you will contribute quite a bit more to a team.

Even solo, by your level, with an offensive passive, you should be able to complete most content with no issues as long as your build is well thought out for your playstyle.
  • dotx3dotx3 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you so much for your response!
    Could you suggest any offensive passives that would fit my characters stats well?
  • svajdasvajda Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Most passives will work with any stats, its things like forms and energy unlocks that depend more on stats now.

I would actually, suggest switching your super stats at lvl 32 you should easily be able to replace old gear with newer better gear with correct stats from missions, or from recognition vendors.

For ranged DPS, I would personaly suggest EGO as primary, as EGO gives a damage % boost to ranged damage, and a damage % from being a super stat, its win win, on top of that it has a very nice spec tree, offering defense, offense, crit chance, crit severity, all the stuff you would want really.

I would highly suggest DEX as a super stat, because it boosts crit %, unless you are getting hit alot I would suggest replacing CON with a stat beneficial to energy, such as INT for cost reduction, recharge as well, or recovery because most energy unlock passives scale from it, though INT scales some of the better energy unlocks as well, such as overdrive or molecular self assembly, which, by the way, overdrive is the choice for you if you use maintains or charge attacks, molecular self assembly would be your choice if you like using powers with recharge timers.

If you are using an offensive passive, and on a team, unless you have no competent tank, and no other DPS worth note, holding block should let you lose threat fast enough to not need a ton of HP, especially if you are staying at range.

I would reccomend seraphim as a passive since it boosts all paranormal damage (such as ego) and it also boosts your healing powers, wich includes many used to heal yourself, as well as having a rather minor regen aura, wich can be advantaged to do minor DoT in the same area.
  • konru2konru2 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Telepathy for ranged damage? Actually, that's kind of hard to imagine. Besides Ego blast, what else can one do? Telekinesis is a different story altogether and works well with telepathy, though.

Your Ego stat now gives the same bonus to ranged and mentalist attacks that Strength does for melee attacks. The hard cap has been removed. However that doesn't change the fact that the stat target at level 40 is still 70. 70 Ego is a 20% bonus. 200 Ego is a 30% bonus. This is on top of the fact that your super stats in hybrid should be giving you a 70% damage bonus and Concentration done right another 80-96% bonus.

That reminds me, if you have been gone two years then you probably don't know. Somewhat recently, Enrage and the two Supernatural Aspects have been converted into Martial Art style Form powers, and three new Forms have been added so everybody can have one. Those are Concentration for ranged damage, Compassion for healing, and Manipulator for crowd control. Ego's direct bonus is laughable. But Concentration's bonus scales up according to the better of your Ego or Intelligence stats. So if you were any kind of ranged damage other than Mentalist, I would be telling you to switch super stats. Mind you, you may want to switch anyway.

The specialization system is also new. What you choose for your primary stat has a big effect on your initial specialization choices. That can have big effects on your critical hit rate, offense, defense, and give a few passive bonuses that weren't available before. There are a lot of choices to be made here.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. If you can list off what powers you chose two years ago. I'll make you a retcon build that should play the same way, only better. I'll warn you ahead of time, though, that I'll likely be giving you a hybrid telekinetic/telepath or an outright telekinetic. The Telekinetic set has had a lot of cool ranged damage powers added in that would be hard for me to pass up, mostly because of ego leech. How does that sound?
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just FYI, there are new powers for Telepathy up on the PTS. I recommend going in to help test them out if you are interested in playing Telepathy. The focus on the new powers seems to be DoT/Debuffs with some versatile support and breaking the DOT debuffs for high DPS spikes.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2012
    Thanks Konru2!

So I did some tweaking before I got your reply, but I would still love to take you up on your offer! So this is how my character is now:
    Lvl:36
    Health: 6,017 Energy: 258
    STR:10 DEX: 76
    CON:126 INT: 10
    EGO:50 PRE: 10
    REC: 124 END: 143

Innate Characteristics:
    Quick Trigger
    Primary stat: END
    Secondary stats: CON/REC

Passive: Regeneration
    Block: Force Shield

Powers:
    Psi lash
    Telekinetic Assault
    Telekinetic Lance
    Force Eruption
    Ego Sprites
    Telekinetic Burst
    Ego Hold
    Resurgence
    Ego Reverberation

As you can see I already did some power choosing out of the TK build:smile:
    Please let me know if this build is decent, if you have any suggestions to enhance it, or if you have a completely new build that would better suit what I'm try to achieve!
    (I also haven't touched the specialization tree, but that's another story haha)!
  • konru2konru2 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, looking good so far. The build I'm giving to you should feel a lot like the same. Since what you have is looking good so far, all I really needed to do is to plug in some values. This is built to level 36, so there are a few more advantages and specializations to purchase before 40. But it should fit into your level.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Psionic

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Endurance (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Scourge
    Level 6: Daredevil
    Level 9: Wordly
    Level 12: Ascetic
    Level 15: Indomitable
    Level 18: Field Ops Training
    Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Psi Lash
    Level 1: Telekinetic Assault (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Ego Sprites (Slave Mentality)
    Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Ego Reverberation
    Level 14: Mental Discipline (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 20: Telekinetic Lance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Telekinetic Burst
    Level 26: Resurgence (Evanescent Emergence)
    Level 29: Ego Storm (Rank 2, Malevolent Manifestation)
    Level 32: Force Eruption (Rank 2, Gravitational Polarity)
    Level 35: Grasping Shadows
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2)
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Endurance: Withstand (2/2)
    Endurance: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Endurance: Power Overwhelming (3/3)
    Endurance: Hardened (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (1/3)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (2/3)

I'm not sure I want to comment on your current stats too much, since at 36 you are pretty much at the mercy of random loot to get the best gear for your level. But I will tell you a few things to watch out for. There are some obvious advantages to having a dexterity super stat, but it isn't as important as it used to be as a non-super stat. There are some solid alternatives. I recommend you look for Critical Strike offense gear, and a Gambler's Lucky Gem to slot in it. Critical Strike Rating is added to Dexterity before they both go through the Diminishing Returns formula to determine your actual critical hit chance. Given a level 40 Heroic Gloves of Precision has a 95 critical strike chance and a blue Gamber's Gem can add another 86 to that, that is a 181 stat in the formula. With a default 10 dexterity, it bumps to 191 and the stat target is still 200. So there's your basic critical hit ability right there. Mind you there are lots of alternatives to push your actual critical hit rate further, Ego Leech being an important one. It is probably better to invest in your super stats with the system like it is currently.

Investing a little in Ego is a different story, since it now improves ranged and Psionic damage in the same way strength improves melee damage. Once you have the chance to really customize and choose your gear, I recommend one mod for Ego and the rest into super-stats. The stat target is 70, so you don't have to do a lot of investing here. At least there isn't a hard cap anymore, so there is no worries about going a little over.

For your defense gear, I strongly recommend dodge/avoidance. They typically drop at avoidance gear, then you can add a Gambler's Lucky Gem to get a good dodge rate. Cooldown reduction and cost reduction are both good for utility gear.

One thing I've added to the build is Mental Discipline, which I consider very important to the whole set. I mentioned earlier that Forms are now a very important part of a hero's power set. Mental Discipline is a Form, but somewhat different in that it isn't tied to a specific stat. From what I see, it improves all your mentalist base damage by 18%. Which means it truly multiplies your damage instead of just adding to that +% number. The downside is that it doesn't have any energy return mechanic like all the other forms. But that isn't too big a deal. The extra critical hit with ego leech is also helpful.

The other thing is a couple of alternatives for Ego Hold. I've been pretty frustrated with most of the single target holds (except Ego Sleep and the new Bolas) because almost anything vulnerable to it tends to get Roflstomped into the ground faster than the hold can be charged. However, since these targets tend to come in packs, area crowd control like Grasping Shadows and Ego Storm are somewhat more useful. If the whole group or a significant part of the group can be held at once then the fight becomes a lot safer.

Specializations can be a big deal. I haven't changed your super stats, but worked with them to give you a recommendation. From Endurance, I have chosen options to help you resist crowd control, improve your HP, and really open up your offense stat directly and from gear. Guardian is a hybrid tank/ranged specialization. Ruthless Improves your Critical Severity while Find the Mark gives up to a 9% to your critical strike chances. The other options increase defense from gear, and give you even more offense when you are taking hits. Avenger is a pure ranged damage specialization, but very appropriate to your fighting style. Ruthless and Angush give more critical severity and a little extra damage to critical hits. Relentless Assault goes straight into Telekinetic Assault to really boost up your offense stat whenever you use Telekinetic Assault. As you level, take that to 3, then put your last two points into Surprise Attack, if you like.

This combination should be capable of a surprising amount of damage in hybrid role and the defense passive. Otherwise it should play about like you're used to.

Do tell me what you think.
    edited September 2012
    Oh my gosh, thank you so much Konru2!
    You have no idea how grateful I am!
    The only question I have is involving Grasping Shadows vs Ego Storm.
    Personally, I RP so Ego Storm with Malevolent Manifestation doesn't really tie into my charter's powers.
    So If I understand correctly, without Malevolent Manifestation, both are aoe holds,
    the only difference being that with Ego Storm I have to be next to the targets I'm trying to hold, is this correct?

Because of this would you suggest only taking one or the other, or do you feel both are handy?

Next, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SPECIALIZATION HELP! Those trees are so daunting, and I could never quite figure them out, so thank you again!

As far as all that gear talk, I wish I could say I knew what you were talking about (you lost me around defensive/utility gear), but alas I do not. So in layman's terms, which stats should I focus on getting from gear (con/end/etc.)?

Thank you again so much for being so patient and helpful with me, it is greatly appreciated! If there is ever anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask!