test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problems trying to start the game

cyberdivecyberdive Posts: 10 Arc User
edited September 2012 in PC & Technical Issues
I'm currently having trouble getting the game to load, or even log me into the launcher,
When I load the game through steam (as I usually do) i get to the launcher, however my username, which normally is filled in, is empty, so I fill that in, type in my password and then a few moments later it crashes.

The cryptic crash reporter temporarily appears then disappears.

I have tried launching the game through gameclient.exe in the champions online live folder located within the steam folder in program files and all that happens when I click login, is is hangs on attempting to connect to login server then says failed to connect.

I usually have no problem getting on and have tried rebooting my router and computer without avail, I also have a lifetime sub, so I know theres nothing there causing trouble.

Is anyone else having this problem and is there anything I can do to get on?
Post edited by cyberdive on

Comments

• piratespicepiratespice Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am having the exact same issue. Trying to run through Steam, my account name field is blank to start with, and the moment I click "login" the launcher crashes. A CrypticError box appears, then vanishes almost immediately. Rinse, repeat.
  • cyberdivecyberdive Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Glad to know its not just me then
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    cyberdive wrote: »

I have tried launching the game through gameclient.exe in the champions online live folder located within the steam folder in program files and all that happens when I click login, is is hangs on attempting to connect to login server then says failed to connect.

The Game will still start over steam that way. To change that you must first remove the game
    from inside Steam, and then try to start the GameClient.exe.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited August 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    The Game will still start over steam that way. To change that you must first remove the game
    from inside Steam, and then try to start the GameClient.exe.
    Not sure if that is how it it work as I get no options to bring up the steam in game interface (which I believe it always does when launching through steam).
    I am copying the entire champions online folder to its own folder under program files but I am not expecting any difference.

I have a feeling the problem is coming up somewhere between me and the CO servers, I'm going to do a tracert to see what I can bring up.

Edit
    Tried Tracert to CO Server, tracert completed fine, biggest delay was about 160ms so nothing there that should cause problems.

Also tried putting CO into its own folder, Launcher still doesn't work (even running as admin) So steam not an issue.
    edited August 2012
    Not sure if that is how it it work as I get no options to bring up the steam in game interface (which I believe it always does when launching through steam).
    I am copying the entire champions online folder to its own folder under program files but I am not expecting any difference.

I have a feeling the problem is coming up somewhere between me and the CO servers, I'm going to do a tracert to see what I can bring up.

I only had steam installed at Christmas .. and the thing was that it changes some Registry Entries
    so that it always loads CO in a certain way no matter if you think you start it without Steam.

You must go into Steam and say : "remove game" or whatever it is worded, and only then
    the game will again start normally. Or you have to find and edit the registry entry via Regedit.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited August 2012
    I've just tried what you suggested and still no luck getting past the launcher (crashes trying to log in) and if I try via game client it hangs on the the Cryptic screen , so re-downloading from steam and then i'll try again
    edited August 2012
    I've just tried what you suggested and still no luck getting past the launcher (crashes trying to log in) and if I try via game client it hangs on the the Cryptic screen , so re-downloading from steam and then i'll try again

Better uninstall Steam totally and redownload it just using GameClient.exe if it still doesn't work after that.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Although I'd love to do that, I have a number of other large file size games that i got through steam and I'm not willing to reinstall them on a limb, after all I'm still not convinced it's steam that is at fault here, after all, I can completely close steam, load the launcher from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\champions online, and it still won't load (and I know its not launching through steam as steam doesn't try to reload and is not listed in the processes.
    edited August 2012
    Did you have any luck, Cyberdive? I still can't get the game to load. So far nothing has helped. I'm also hesitant to re-install Steam just yet.
    edited August 2012
    No I didnt have any luck what so ever, I also tried loading STO to see what happens and I'm getting the same, the one thing I am doing today as a test is downloading co via other means (meaning I should have two installs of it, one through steam and one on its own).

I also messaged a friend of mine to see if they had any problems loading it up through steam and they had no issues at all.

The only thought I do have is before I started having problems my computer updated, so what Im going to do If none of this works is restore to before the updates in case the updates caused the problem (can't see how, though It must be worth a try)
    edited August 2012
    It doesn't seem like Steam is the issue. I've completely uninstalled CO from Steam, and reinstalled it from a fresh download directly from the CO site (no Steam involved). I'm still having the same problem. The only difference is that the crash report box doesn't vanish immediately. But I still can't get into the game.
    edited August 2012
    This is because steam is not causing any problems but windows is (would I be right in guesssing your on Windows 7 and recently installed an update?)

I have managed to solve the problem to restoring my system to before a recent update on Windows 7, my guess is the Cryptic Launcher and the Game Client is having problems with something in the recent update, however none of my other game launchers seem to be affected.

I will try to send what I've found out directly to cryptic so they can update their launcher to work with the new update.
    edited August 2012
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!
    edited August 2012
    Well, I tried the system restore (indeed, my Windows 7 had just had an update), but I'm still having the same problem.
    edited August 2012
    If anything like mine, did you have 2 updates showing on system restore when you tried it? if so did you do the most recent one or the one before it, if you did the most recent one, try the one before it, you'll also need to shut your computer down alternatly as if anything like mine, theres no way to shut down without insatlling updates without shutting down via the power button on computer case (so long as its set to shut down once pressed and not to have to hold it down to force power off)

Edit:
    Hmm guess that wasn't the problem, just logged into the launcher, fully patched and wouldn't go any further, so closed launcher and now i'm back to square one again......

Edit 2: I've found the source of the problem I believe, as I use a program called display fusion to spread my taskbar accross multiple screens which was updated recently (funnily the same time as I started having problems) I decided to disable the program and I am now able to get into the launcher, as to why this was causing the problem, i do not know,
    Piratespice, maybe you use the same or a similar program, if you do I recommend turning it off, you should then be able to get past the launcher login.
    edited August 2012
    Well, that explains it. I do use DisplayFusion, and sure enough, disabling it has allowed me to get past the launcher and start patching again. Thanks, Cyberdive. I'm not sure I would have even considered that, myself.

Here's hoping DisplayFusion releases a new version that doesn't interfere with CO.
    edited August 2012
    No problem, I hope they get a new version out as well as it's a really handy program when using 2 screens or more.
  • jragonsoul1jragonsoul1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is the exact problem I was having thanks for the help! I was going crazy with trouble shooting. Gold star guys!
  • nalasaenalasae Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks !

I was having the exact same issue, and I also do have display fusion, killed the process and now the launcher works well.

So thanks again ! ^^
  • reydededereydedede Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Was having the same issue, and I just want to throw in my thanks for working this one out. What an odd thing.
    edited August 2012
    For those still having this problem, I've found a fix that doesn't require us to shut down DisplayFusion in order to launch CO.

- Open Display Fusion Settings.
    - Click on the Compatibility tab.
    - Click Add.
    - Click Select Application, then browse for the CO launcher (for Steams users, it's Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/champions online/Champions Online.exe).
    - Uncheck the box labelled "Allow this application to load DisplayFusion Hooks.
    - Click OK.
    - Click OK.

That should hopefully stop the interference between DF and the launcher.
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Added a link to this little gem (post #22) to the stickied thread of player work arounds :biggrin:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
    edited August 2012
    Just tried your workaround Piratespice, and its worked for me as well
    edited August 2012
    Nice findout btw. since this problem comes up every so often, and nobody who don't use
    that program would ever have been able to find the real solution.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • bfskeithlammersbfskeithlammers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hi all! I work for Binary Fortress Software, makers of DisplayFusion. Just wanted to post a quick update to let you know that we've fixed up the issue that was causing the Champions Online game to crash when DisplayFusion was running. The fix is in the latest beta version of DisplayFusion, available here: http://www.displayfusion.com/Download/Beta/

If you still run into any issues after updating, please let us know via the Support form on our site.

Thanks!
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A represenantive of another software company's product that causes conflict with Champions Online's launcher comes and posts on Cryptics forums that they've found the problem, fixed it, and even posts a link to the beta ver. that solves the problem?

:eek: *faints* :biggrin:

You sir need to go to work for Cryptic :cool:

*golfclaps* :tongue:
    Added a link to this little gem to the stickied thread of player work arounds
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • zerogman0zerogman0 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Now let's say that we DON'T use displayfusion. In fact we don't even use multiple screens. Just one.

Does anyone know how to help with that?
    edited August 2012
    It sounds like your issue is unrelated. I'd suggest opening a new thread so it gets attention as a separate bug.

Though if your symptoms are otherwise identical, I wonder if another program might be affecting the CO launcher the same way. Did you recently install or update any other programs right before having the problem?
  • zerogman0zerogman0 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No it's the same issue, just a 'different' cause I suppose. Honestly there are about six, maybe seven other threads talking about this. It's ridiculous really.

Anyway all I can say is that, FOR SURE, the most recently added programs are for a Seagate Back-up drive. I don't know if they actually have done something or not because I had them working for the past two weeks and only up until Yesterday did the launcher decide that it was in a state of no response after one failed try.
  • nemez1snemez1s Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i dont have this displayfusion either.. thats just too frustrating..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Any mauritian ingame, contact me tnx. @nemez1s
  • tynankainda1tynankainda1 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am having this issue as well. I don't use Displayfusion, and nothing changed on my computer between the game working and not working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no effect. Has anyone heard anything about this problem yet? I have not seen so much as a "Hey guys, we are working on it."
  • bergiml12bergiml12 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    try this start launcher, go to Options, select proxy US/EU, and mark "Fast Launch"
    worked for me :)
  • tynankainda1tynankainda1 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I can't go to options in the launcher when the launcher won't even come up. All I get is the Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate, and after about a minute of it being up another window names Patcher Error pops up and says "The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function." I am on my third install, twice from the website and once from Steam. I saw someone suggest in another thread to try to run it as an administrator, but that just produced the same results.