test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chuck's Collection of Misfits

chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Costumes and Concepts
I've always loved hanging around the tailor and looking at the clever designs people come up with. There are some really fabulous creations, but sometimes even if the costume isn't to my taste there's still something unique or interesting I love about it. Lately, these threads have become something of a favorite addiction for me.

Well, I enjoy looking through costumes so much, I figured I should to post some of my own to contribute.

I'm always open to feedback - I don't consider any of these to be 'finished' and they are always evolving and changing. And even if a particular costume is less than impressive - you never know - maybe something about it will spark an idea anyway, and it'll turn out to be useful!

These are just a few of my stable of characters. I hope there's a few you find interesting!

Gabrielle
Her old 'Mystic' appearance
My favorite character to play, Gabrielle is kind of a techno-angel - from a race that believes magic and technology are one and the same. Unlike the rest of her sisters, she embraces human concepts such as 'humor' and 'mercy', making her something of an outcast from The Host.

Metalstorm
An old cybernetic warbot from a far away planet, Metalstorm was designed to be self-sufficient in hostile barren environments. As such it comes packed with a tool, attachment or appendage for every purpose. The designers never anticipated the warbot being in service for so long, or they might have predicted the eventual 'leakage' or 'resurfacing' of memories from the previous owner of it's metal-encased brain...

Grief
Clinically insane, but with a strong belief in justice, Jennifer had the happy occasion to watch her family being brutally murdered by a group who seemed to think the whole thing was funny. Jennifer didn't think it was very funny. So she adopted the name 'Grief', painted her face like that of a sad clown, and began to pursue justice in a way the police would never allow. True justice as she sees it - brutality for the brutal, and torture for the cruel. It's fortunate she's so hard to find, as Grief is not the sort of girl you'd want to meet in a dark alley. Never a great socializer, she talks to herself incessantly in muttered tones, and then of course there's the ever-present assortment of sharp implements - some with suspicious stains still on the blades...

Halcyon (and on and on)
with helmet off
Halcyon is an RnD tech who stole a prototype armor suit that was destined for 'ethical misuse'. She's not your typical hero, but is actually quite clumsy and accident prone and a bit of a 'girly-girl'. Given the extreme power of the prototype armor, this can often have disastrous consequences. But she means well. =)

Ghost
Ghost is sort of a demonic cross between Sam Spade and John Constantine. Those things the rest of us only see out of the corner of our eye, and which disappear the moment we turn around..? Ghost lives in that world, in the gaps between order and chaos and between heaven and hell.

Huntress
Alternate Photo
Huntress in Action
For this character, I haven't really conceptualized a backstory. She's an archer. That's about as far as I have gone with it.. :tongue:

Well that's it for now. I may post some more later. Hopefully some of them were useful in some way, and as always, feedback and suggestions are always welcome.
Post edited by chuckthestar on

Comments

• Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I must say that I am impressed with everyone in here, particularly Gabrielle and Halcyon. Though... who is definitely my favorite down here, is Huntress, I looooove the colors and the pieces you selected for her, for me at least she looks like a quite iconic heroine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    cascadence wrote: »
    I must say that I am impressed with everyone in here, particularly Gabrielle and Halcyon. Though... who is definitely my favorite down here, is Huntress, I looooove the colors and the pieces you selected for her, for me at least she looks like a quite iconic heroine.

Huntress is my favorite as well. The color scheme, and how well it fits together, it's a good concept.

She appears to have a bit of "influenced by" in her design, compared to The Huntress from JLU.

But is distinct enough to be her own character.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, guys.

I'm surprised to hear that Huntress is a favorite. She was more of an afterthought for me, but you never know where you're going to find a diamond in the rough, I guess. :biggrin:
    Since you both like her I'll throw in a couple more pics that show off her costume a little more fully.
    Here and Here.

It's serendipitous that she looks similar to a JLA 'huntress', because her costume actually evolved sideways after an initial attempt to create Angela of the Spawn comic's fame. It's a small world though. I just googled JLA Huntress and she's wearing purple and yellow in the image I could find. :tongue:
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, guys.

I'm surprised to hear that Huntress is a favorite. She was more of an afterthought for me, but you never know where you're going to find a diamond in the rough, I guess. :biggrin:
    Since you both like her I'll throw in a couple more pics that show off her costume a little more fully.
    Here and Here.

It's serendipitous that she looks similar to a JLA 'huntress', because her costume actually evolved sideways after an initial attempt to create Angela of the Spawn comic's fame. It's a small world though. I just googled JLA Huntress and she's wearing purple and yellow in the image I could find. :tongue:

Very cool! (The extra pics) :smile:

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very nice. Im normally not a huge fan of the whole giant hulking robot thing. But Metalstorm is all kinds of epic. Its really has the feel of an old worn out battle bot.

Anytime you can just look at a costume and instantly know the rhyme and reason behind the character. You know you got a winner.

Grief, Gabrielle's mystic look, and Huntress also do this very well. Awesome job :biggrin:
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Grief and Metalstorm are both great looking toons. I like all of these here, but those two really stood out. Grief is simple and straightforward, without looking generic or ripoff-y. Metalstorm looks like a Transformer from hell; lots going on but I think that's kinda the point.

Very nice work here!
  • Options
    oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Gabrielle - IMO there's one too many colours here. Personally I'd change the scarf to dark blue/cyan, or change the holograms and aura to red to match the scarf. Also it has a lot of pieces from a single costume set, which personally puts me off a bit.

Metalstorm - This guy looks awesome. Good use of colour. The multitude of mechanical arms, the wires, the face, the hunched posture... for some reason it evokes to me the image of a homocidal, hulking mechanical spider with guns, which is all kinds of terrifying to think about.

Grief - Try using a lighter black. The black you've used it too dark and a lot of the detail is lost as a consequence. As a general rule, the darkest blacks in the CO creator should be avoided unless being used on metal or if you're going for an unnatural Qliphothic/demonic/mystical kind of 'darkness.' Could do with more contrast, and perhaps some colour such as dark purples or reds.

Halcyon (and on and on) - OMG I love that song so much. Anyway, good contrast and colour scheme. I don't know why but I don't like the way the tesla leg accessories look here, and not sure about those shoulders either. Possibly change the faceplate to blue or add blue hologram eye accessory.

Ghost - I'm not feeling it, man. Not enough contrast, needs some colour, and just needs more... flair, more distinction. Maybe switch to open trenchcoat with torn tail on gradient, change the coat to brown, grey or white, change the tie and scarf to dark red or something...

Huntress - Looks fantastic, great colour scheme and contrast, interesting use of pieces.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Great feedback Oni!
    Thanks for taking the time to give them a hard look. I plan to use a lot of that!

oniganon wrote: »
    Gabrielle - IMO there's one too many colours here. Personally I'd change the scarf to dark blue/cyan, or change the holograms and aura to red to match the scarf. Also it has a lot of pieces from a single costume set, which personally puts me off a bit.

I'm not quite sure about the new Gabrielle look. It's definitely a work in progress and can use a lot of polish. Even though the scarf doesn't 'fit' her color scheme I feel like she's too outgoing and irreverent a character not to have something that says 'here I am'.

I could try something in a blue, maybe cyan... or white. Changing the holo field colors might work too. I'll have to play with it a bit. Or I might just have to find another way to make her stick out, if the colors seem too contradictory.

Metalstorm - This guy looks awesome. Good use of colour. The multitude of mechanical arms, the wires, the face, the hunched posture... for some reason it evokes to me the image of a homocidal, hulking mechanical spider with guns, which is all kinds of terrifying to think about.

Thanks! I love this costume - he's been a work in progress since beta. His original costume was horribly boring, but he's one of those things that improves with age :tongue:

Grief - Try using a lighter black. The black you've used it too dark and a lot of the detail is lost as a consequence. As a general rule, the darkest blacks in the CO creator should be avoided unless being used on metal or if you're going for an unnatural Qliphothic/demonic/mystical kind of 'darkness.' Could do with more contrast, and perhaps some colour such as dark purples or reds.

I'll try that, thanks.
    In her mind the universe is devoid of color and I wanted to give off that clear impression. I wanted to avoid bright splashes of color, but I can definitely experiment. Perhaps a single splotch of color might just accentuate the rest.

Halcyon (and on and on) - OMG I love that song so much. Anyway, good contrast and colour scheme. I don't know why but I don't like the way the tesla leg accessories look here, and not sure about those shoulders either. Possibly change the faceplate to blue or add blue hologram eye accessory.

Great tips! Yeah, I'm not too happy with the leg accessories either. It's probably time to revisit this costume now that I have many more pieces.

Ghost - I'm not feeling it, man. Not enough contrast, needs some colour, and just needs more... flair, more distinction. Maybe switch to open trenchcoat with torn tail on gradient, change the coat to brown, grey or white, change the tie and scarf to dark red or something...

In general he's supposed to blend with the shadows, not take the spotlight. But yeah, you're completely right, he does need something... A dark red scarf might help, I like that idea so I'll try that! Maybe he can steal Gabby's... :biggrin:

Huntress - Looks fantastic, great colour scheme and contrast, interesting use of pieces.

...and another vote for Huntress. I really had no idea anyone would like her. :tongue:

I'm far from finished with these and like everyone else I'm always refining my costumes. So it's back to the tailor for me, armed with some good direction.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to offer constructive comments!