test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is "Craftable" Primary Utility Gear so Rare?

lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Items and Crafting
I've recently tried to outfit some of my new Level 40 toons with new gear, and I'm finding it very difficult to find "Craftable" Primary Utility gear of the Green or Better Quality. I'm talking about the gear with the "holes" in the icon, the type that can be modified.

I have no problem finding L40, Blue-Quality, Primary Offense and Defense. Either I've received them on my own via drops, or I can buy them reasonably priced (<10G) off the Exchange.

But for some reason I never get Primary Utility drops, and based on the Exchange, neither does anyone else... Last night I checked the Exchange and with the exception of one or two Purple Silver Champs gear (priced in the hundreds of Globals, ie too expensive), there were none. Not even Green Quality... Nothing Level 35+. And this isn't the first time I've run into this problem.

I do plan to do the Unity Missions and gather up enough SC tokens to buy Purples myself, eventually. But until then, I like to at least have Green or Blues with Tier 2-3 mods in them, so I can test my build before spending my hard-earned SC and T5+ mods on more "permanent" gear.

Anyway... Is the dearth of Craftable Primary Utility Gear my imagination, or have others noticed this too? Is it intended (and what's the purpose), or a bug, or just a very strange hyper-focused edge-case-happening of randomness... or... ????

It seems to me that maybe the gear drop tables need some attention...
jIBJh7X.jpg
When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So, apparently, I'm the only one who has difficulty aquiring slottable Primary Utility Gear at L40? Huh...

:frown:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • gonzolo4584gonzolo4584 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Unity my friend Unity.Silver champ gear is what you want.
    edited August 2012
    Unity my friend Unity.Silver champ gear is what you want.
    ...I do plan to do the Unity Missions and gather up enough SC tokens to buy Purples myself, eventually. But until then, I like to at least have Green or Blues with Tier 2-3 mods in them, so I can test my build before spending my hard-earned SC and T5+ mods on more "permanent" gear...

:rolleyes:
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    :rolleyes:
    Heirloom Gear :biggrin: + :rolleyes: = :eek:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
    edited August 2012
    Heirloom Gear :biggrin: + :rolleyes: = :eek:
    Heh. Good point.

I do like using my Heirloom Gear for leveling a toon, but so far, I haven't like the concentrated attribute assignment and lack of mods (for things like Crit Chance or Healing Bonus) when I "finish" a character at L40.

Still, while I appreciate the alternate suggestions, it doesn't address the OP question: Why is the craftable Primary Utility Gear so rare/difficult to find? Is it just me, are others able to find it easily, and if so how/where?
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I do plan to do the Unity Missions and gather up enough SC tokens to buy Purples myself, eventually. But until then, I like to at least have Green or Blues with Tier 2-3 mods in them, so I can test my build before spending my hard-earned SC and T5+ mods on more "permanent" gear.

Anyway... Is the dearth of Craftable Primary Utility Gear my imagination, or have others noticed this too? Is it intended (and what's the purpose), or a bug, or just a very strange hyper-focused edge-case-happening of randomness... or... ????

It seems to me that maybe the gear drop tables need some attention...

Ok .. getting Silver Champs Utilty item takes 2 days if you just do Unity 1, 1 day if you
    also do Unity 2. So why bother looking now for other gear ? Normally i just start to
    get Utility items with cost discount at lvl 32 and that items then serve me all the way
    to 40.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited August 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    Ok .. getting Silver Champs Utilty item takes 2 days if you just do Unity 1, 1 day if you also do Unity 2. So why bother looking now for other gear ? Normally i just start to get Utility items with cost discount at lvl 32 and that items then serve me all the way to 40.
    "Why bother", indeed...
    ...I like to at least have Green or Blues with Tier 2-3 mods in them, so I can test my build before spending my hard-earned SC and T5+ mods on more "permanent" gear...
    Let me explain in more detail, since my OP apparently didn't clear it up. :tongue:

I'm sort of a min/maxer, but usually only insofar as it fits my character's theme, or to put it another way: I like to get as much bang as I can out of my creative buck. And for whatever reason, I have trouble grokking CO's innards. There are parts of it's systems I still don't get... I don't know the forumla/equations to numerically compare X and Y options without actually trying them out.

For example, I don't necessarily know if, in a given build, it's better for me to have a higher Dex or get a Crit-mod to improve my Crit Chance... Or maybe I have Ego as my SS and it's Spec Tree's Follow Through would mean improving Ego is the way to get more DPS...

Anyway, I like to test things out. Try one item over another. Part of the fun of the game for me is to tweak things trying this or that until I get a build I'm happy with.

When I'm testing I rather use "cheap" and "easy" to get, but comparable items. For me, grabbing a Green/Blue level item from my own shared storage or spending a handful of Globals on the Exchange is both cheap and easy. I'll use excess Tier 2-3 mods in these and try it out, if I don't like the results, I can go grab another with no real loss. Repeat until I find a setup that works, and THEN I work on getting the SC to buy the Purples, and use Tier 4+ mods. Because at that point, I'm only changing the magnitude of it (for example +53 instead of +55, or whatever), not the function.

To me SC gear is not cheap. Granted, it's not outrageously, terribly expensive, but if I buy item X and it's not what I want, I can't just go grab another, I have to wait a day or two. I do now have a small handful of L40 toons, but I don't have dozens of them as some people, and even if I did, I don't want to just sit grinding away at any more Unity missions than I have to.

Nemesis gear doesn't work in testing either, as it always only ever buffs Primary/Secondary SuperStats and some Off/Def. I can't try buffing a 4th (or 5th!) Stat, or add other mods. So Nemmy Gear is awesome for leveling, it does that job better-than-fine, but doesn't work for me when it's time to "lock-in" my L40 toon and write up the character sheet in ink.

So, yeah.... Test/tweak with non-SC gear, "finish" with SC gear once I'm happy with what I'm going to buy. It's my way. And it works fine except I've noticed an unusal shortage in the Slottable Primary Utiltiy gear and was wondering if I was the only one who noticed this. It appears so, or at least it appears I'm the only one who cares. :cool:

P.S. Oh, and before you recommend I do my tweaking/testing on the testing shard, I have other issues with using that, that prevent me from doing so. >shrug<
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This was noted by me and others? on the PTS back in the day but like many bits of the new crafting system it remains undone as yet.
    Green level 40 utilities seem to be as far as drops go for utility upgrades.
    Some data that may help when selecting Silver gear and modding a green utility (if you can find em).
    Heroic helmet of +19 defence unless otherwise stated
    Speed +186 cooldown reduction +93 cost discount
    Efficiency +93 cooldown reduction +186 cost discount
    Energy +14 maximum energy +93 cooldown reduction +93 cost discount
    Topography +139 minimap radius +93 cooldown reduction +93 cost discount
    Utility +139 cooldown reduction +139 cost discount
    All have 1 x armor, 1 x enhancement, 1 x core slots
    sword cyclone 30 + 21 per tic
    skarns bane 26 per tic
    Lightning storm 33 + 24 per tic
    Force cascade 97 - 280
    lightning arc 16 + 16 per tic
    dragon claw 36 - 61
    masterful dodge cooldown 1min 29

With 68 cost discount
    sword cyclone 27 + 18
    skarns bane 23
    lightning storm 29 + 21
    force cascade 86 - 247
    lightning arc 14
    dragon claw 32 - 53
    masterful dodge with 136 reduction 1min 4.1 secs

With 73 cost discount
    sword cyclone 27 + 18
    skarns bane 22
    lightning storm 29 + 21
    force cascade 85 - 244
    lightning arc 14
    dragon claw 32 - 53
    masterful dodge with 145 reduction 1min 2.9 secs

With 155 cost discount
    sword cyclone 22 + 15
    skarns bane 18
    lightning storm 23 + 17
    force cascade 69 - 198
    lightning arc 11
    dragon claw 26 - 43
    masterful dodge with 77 reduction 1min 13 secs

With 245 Int
    sword cyclone 19 + 13
    skarns bane 16
    lightning storm 21 + 15
    force cascade 60 - 173
    lightning arc 10
    dragon claw 22 - 38
    masterful dodge 1min 5.8 secs

With 155 cost discount + 245 Int
    sword cyclone 17 + 11
    skarns bane 14
    lightning storm 18 + 13
    force cascade 53 - 154
    lightning arc 8.9
    dragon claw 20 - 33
    masterful dodge with 77 reduction + 245 Int 57 secs
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
    edited September 2012
    This was noted by me and others? on the PTS back in the day but like many bits of the new crafting system it remains undone as yet. Green level 40 utilities seem to be as far as drops go for utility upgrades...
    Ah! So it is a "known bug" - A broken drop table. Well, that would explain it.

Good to know I'm not just terribly unlucky. :smile:
    ...Some data that may help when selecting Silver gear and modding a green utility (if you can find em).
    I thank you for the data, it will be helpful!
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• kcg75000kcg75000 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You are correct about Primary Utility gear being more rare above level 35 vs. P. Off and P. Def. I believe I have gotten the majority of the Green Primaries as drops from the 'end zones' (Rastrinfhar's Abyss, Andrithal and Vibora Bay) and during UNITY dailies. I hang onto almost every one I grab so that I can gear my alts when they reach the upper levels because of the scarcity of the items.

I think the only way to get Blue Primary Utility items is to do the high level 5-man lair missions:

*"The Viper's Nest" from Major Rashisa Kwame in Slither Beach awards one of three choices. This mission is available the first time you speak to him, or after doing the initial quests he offers.

*The Mandragalore, starting mission: "Arvad, Alone and Dethroned" from Vance 'Buzz' Bellman in Caliginous Depths MAY lead to a mission that awards a Blue Primary. It's been awhile since I did this mission chain, but I seem to recall that the final reward is a choice between one of 3 Primary Utilities...but don't quote me on that.

*Ruins of Andrith unfortunately doesn't offer a Primary Utility, just one whole Silver Champions Recognition. I almost couldn't contain my excitement when I saw that reward. :wink:

*"Apocalypse Aversion" from Robert Caliburn in Vibora Bay (Therakiel's Temple mission) also awards just one Silver Champions Recognition...so no luck here either.

So, looks like the Viper's Next mission is the only way to get a blue Primary Utility. No wonder I always pick up the Utility slot first when I buy the Silver Champs Recog Gear.
    edited September 2012
    kcg75000 wrote: »
    ...No wonder I always pick up the Utility slot first when I buy the Silver Champs Recog Gear.
    Thanks for the notes/feedback! I'll be doing the same. :)
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited September 2012

To me SC gear is not cheap. Granted, it's not outrageously, terribly expensive, but if I buy item X and it's not what I want, I can't just go grab another, I have to wait a day or two. I do now have a small handful of L40 toons, but I don't have dozens of them as some people, and even if I did, I don't want to just sit grinding away at any more Unity missions than I have to.

I used to sell SCR primaries for 300 - 350G (10g per silver rec)

They now typically go for 150 - 200G

For utility, you're basically deciding between Speed/Efficiency/Utility

After 14 alts (all scr gear) Speed is a safe bet. Unless you have hardly anything at all on CD, then its between efficiency and utility, but even then speed can still be a better choice.

My FFs are all Speed, and its only on my ATs that the cost reduction seemed a better choice since most had so little on cd. Int also plays a factor and when diminishing returns hit, you'll see that CD redux still has a better return than cost redux when Int is in the mix.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    "

For example, I don't necessarily know if, in a given build, it's better for me to have a higher Dex or get a Crit-mod to improve my Crit Chance... Or maybe I have Ego as my SS and it's Spec Tree's Follow Through would mean improving Ego is the way to get more DPS...

In a crit build of course you should have higher Dex AND a crit mod ;)

Afaik +1 crit rate equals 1 dex the same like +cost reduction equals 1 Int.

Boosting EGO only really gives much if you use Concentration, else it is not really needed,
    the same as boosting STR only is worth it if you use Enrage.

Damagewise you can with level 40 gear get more out of an ranged EGO-Build than a DEX-Build
    however for leveling i would always prefer DEX, since you need the Crit Gear for the EGO Build.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Some more gear numbers to crunch...
    This time it's crits.
    critting with
    135 dex gives 16.2%
    135 dex + 79 crit strike gives 27.7%
    188 dex gives 24.3%
    79 crit chance gives 7.8%
    248 dex gives 31.5%
    248 + 79 crit gives 37.8%
    248 + 95 gives 38.8%
    229 dex + 42 + 95 gives 40%
    42 + 95 gives 17.4%
    42 = crit bonus secondary I think
    edited September 2012
    Mission "The servants and the main Loa" offers a blue level primary utility as a reward. Could be a level 38/39.
    edited September 2012
    forrksakesexco, thanks for the info.

Interestingly... This last Friday night, I was running Unity 1 missions and farming Anniversary gifts in Monster Island and Lemuria ... And when I went to clean out my sacks of all the drops I found that I had a half-dozen Craftable Primary Utility pieces. Drops, apparently. Mix of green and blue, 1x L39 and 5x L40s. I was buzzing through the missions and random open-world mobs really quickly, so I couldn't say exactly when/where I got them.

That was a first for me. I wonder if the drop table was fixed or what, but it was nice to see, none-the-less...

:smile:
    jIBJh7X.jpg

• kcg75000kcg75000 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The mission "The Most Evil of Elder Worms" given by the spirit of Michael Perkins in Echinocos Shores gives out a green level Primary Utility. This item is unusual as it has no core slot. The two slots on it are an Armor slot and an Enhancement slot in addition to the stat that is already on the item.

Good to hear that you were able to find some Primary Utility pieces. I told you they were out there! :D