test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Multiple Energy Builders for Flavor

purplepompadourpurplepompadour Posts: 23 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Suggestions Box
We only get to have one energy builder. I think we should be able to have at least two. I realize there's probably an issue with it being an auto attack and all.

I think having an option to have a second energy builder could really lend a touch of polish to some characters. For those of us that build to theme before anything else.

I have characters that are at points where they have powers I wasn't particularly interested in taking. Because they had all they needed.

Thematically, however, I've got some characters that could benefit from another energy builder for the sake of it. When you're ranged, sometimes you just gotta do some punching before you can get some distance. It would be nice to be able to switch to a melee energy builder just for the sake of it making more sense. And vice versa.

Maybe you're melee and want to start building at a distance. Sure you could lunge to the mobs, but this time you're really rather them come to you. Plus, it's not like you're unfairly softening them up. One lunge and a room sweeper you could one-shot the whole group.

Now this isn't in regard to being able to have melee or ranged attacks on any character. I've got a laser blade guy with an experimental blaster just because. This is about when your energy builder just looks odd and out of place. Like when a bunch of guys runs up on your archer and you're pelting them with arrows at melee distance. It just looks off. It'd be nice to maybe switch to a sword based energy builder if you're sturdy enough to go toe to toe with them for a bit.

Unlike with the controversial decision to make a lot of buff powers toggles. There's not really a potentially unfair advantage of having multiple energy builders, since you could still only use one at a time. In fact it'd probably be more of a handy cap. IF you chose to take another energy builder over an ability you could have really used.

Heck even the advantages of energy builders aren't really all that good when compared to others, they're just there to make them a little more useful when you have to fall back on it. It would be nice to fall back on an energy builder that made more sense in certain situations.
Post edited by purplepompadour on

Comments

• ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    /Signed

I've found on a couple characters, I'd love to have a melee based builder, as well as a ranged builder. It would make it possible for those characters to be more mobile and more versatile.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • syntaxessyntaxes Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This seemed like a silly idea at first...but then I got to thinking.

The only thing that bugs me is the archer shooting someone who is punching him(or any ranged EB being used in melee) Maybe instead of being able to take two, an advantage could be added that would switch the animation?
    For instance what if when they came within 5 ft of you, you pulled out an arrow and started slicing and dicing legolas style?

Or for like tk blades, if they jumped away you could start throwing your blades like daggers? Probably wouldnt work for all Energy Builders, but for a lot of them it would
    It also might make the game unblanced a little with the melee being able to attack at ranged, but you could always turn up the cost to like 3 or 4 points, so that its damage and/or other abilities would be crippled if they took the advantage.

I am all about realism in the game so I like it when things look like they should.
    Just an idea tho :biggrin:
  • purplepompadourpurplepompadour Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wooo supporters! =)

It'd probably just be easier to give us two builders, than working in new functions for powers and advantages. Melee and ranged characters can have moves to cover or close a gap anyhow. Like hittin' with Room Sweeper and following up with guns or a blast attack to try to finish 'em off before the fall does, or take 'em out if fall doesn't finish them before they get up.

About the only ranged energy builders that don't drive me completely crazy in melee are the the assorted "bolts" where you blast with each hand alternately. Because then you could for see a character fueling their punches with their power point blank.

Heck as it is, I'm almost always statting loads of INT for any ranged character specifically for when I have to switch to melee to lower the energy costs, just to get around having to use the energy builder that close.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Since you couldn't use 2 EBs simultaneously, it would actually result in a weaker character - since you could otherwise pick a regular attack or what-not. This would be a great option for concepts like shapeshifters or someone who would punch in close quarters but shoot in longer range scenarios...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Since you couldn't use 2 EBs simultaneously, it would actually result in a weaker character - since you could otherwise pick a regular attack or what-not. This would be a great option for concepts like shapeshifters or someone who would punch in close quarters but shoot in longer range scenarios...

I think the people that would bebefit from allowing 2 EBs, probably aren't too worried about it weakening their character. Instead, they are trying to get closer to the concept they envision in their mind.

Me, I don't play for the strongest build, or for min/max, or optimal play. I play because I can create a character which I enjoy, and take it out to bust some baddies heads. Then, as soon as a character hits 40, it's retired, and play begins again, on a new concept.

:tongue:

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • syntaxessyntaxes Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am a pretty hardcore min/maxer but first and foremost things need to MAKE SENSE to me.

These people running around fc/fg and stealth? Doesnt seem like they go together to me :biggrin:

I am not sure if I would take 2 EB because it would take a big hit to my char creation, I would however, love to have the option and enjoy seeing them in game - I like seeing the unique builds, people who use there imaginiation, etc. Even if they arent as strong as they could be, they would still put on a great show.

/signed
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This would be damaging in this game. Especially in alerts.
    You'd be using minimal damage too often.

Having the energy builder always buried down below all the other picks makes
    it too much of a hassle and expense to bother trying anything new.

When I was free form I'd leave my EB off the choices until just before I put
    on a travel power, I'd remove both everytime I went to powerhouse.
    By the time I'd leveled twenty or so characters I pretty much never ever changed out the EB
    for a new effect, mostly due to syngery. If I've got ego damage bonus
    I'm going to use ego damage builder, if I have a buff from hitting things from 20 feet
    I won't bother with a melee anything, if I get extra effect from fear the only choices is a void EB.

What would really be great is real customizable power sets.
    You choose the type of damage your attacks do(range energy, range physical, energy melee, etc),
    what type of side effect they have (knockback, fear etc),
    and then you choose from a list of attack effects for flavor.
    I'd make eviscerating rainbows of terror, a glue gun and freezing Radiance for instance.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    syntaxes wrote: »
    I am a pretty hardcore min/maxer but first and foremost things need to MAKE SENSE to me.

These people running around fc/fg and stealth? Doesnt seem like they go together to me :biggrin:

Dude. Invisible Woman. Force powers and invisibility.

OP? signed. This would be neat.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    /signed

Makes perfect sense.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • admflamebergadmflameberg Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    syntaxes wrote: »
    This seemed like a silly idea at first...but then I got to thinking.

The only thing that bugs me is the archer shooting someone who is punching him(or any ranged EB being used in melee) Maybe instead of being able to take two, an advantage could be added that would switch the animation?
    For instance what if when they came within 5 ft of you, you pulled out an arrow and started slicing and dicing legolas style?

Or for like tk blades, if they jumped away you could start throwing your blades like daggers? Probably wouldnt work for all Energy Builders, but for a lot of them it would
    It also might make the game unblanced a little with the melee being able to attack at ranged, but you could always turn up the cost to like 3 or 4 points, so that its damage and/or other abilities would be crippled if they took the advantage.

I am all about realism in the game so I like it when things look like they should.
    Just an idea tho :biggrin:

It not really silly, Earth EB does this. When your closes it punches the baddy. then when your in range. it throws rocks. So it totally possible to do with other powers. Maybe as a 2 point or 1 point addon.

I wouldnt mind hitting bad guys with a pistol whip with both pistols when in melee range and throw a quick kick. Or Smack them with a boomerang in melee range.

Maybe be able to throw the heavy hammer EB like a large boomer rang and it comes back.