test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Display driver problem since last patch

mattgeomattgeo Posts: 13 Arc User
edited September 2012 in PC & Technical Issues
Hello. I was playing the game early in the afternoon yesterday before the Night Avenger patch was released. I logged out and logged back in a little while later, seeing that the patch was released in the time between.

After the patch, I have frequent occurences of a problem where the game will lock up briefly and I get an error message in the lower right corner of my screen reading "Display driver Intel Graphics Accelerator for Winodws 7 (R) has stopped responding and has recovered" (or something to that effect :biggrin:). Sometimes I am able to move around the main maps for a little while before it happens, usually I cannot go very far inside a lair before it happens though. Ultimately it will keep happening 4 or 5 times in quick succession which locks up the whole computer and causes a blue screen and restart.

I have checked, both through Device Manager and manufacturer website, to make sure my video driver is the most up to date version available. Both claim that it is. The device is Intel HD Graphics, driver date 1/10/2012, driver version 8.15.10.2622.

I had been playing with no problems that I can recall related to display drivers for over a year and a half. It was only right after the Night Avenger release that I have experienced these consistent problems.

Not being the most computer savvy person out there, I was hoping someone can give me an idea as to what I need to do to fix the problem or if this is somehow a result of the game patch. Thanks.
Post edited by mattgeo on

Comments

• Options
    mikey0811mikey0811 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thank god someone else with the same problem i was starting to worry im sorry but i dont know how to fix it mine has gotten even worse now and it is just stuck on the loading screen -.- i really hate this new patch i couldnt finish resistance run last night on elite because of this awful problem i advice you stay out of the sewers and lumeria because it sent my problem into a spazz fit this patch has made so many problems for champions =/
  • Options
    strumhowlstrumhowl Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    are you trying to run the game through steam? i found that by bypassing steam completely and running the game from /steamapps/common/Champions Online made my game run a lot smoother. I used to have the problem likke you, the screen would black out a lot, sometimes in succession, but by not running it through steam it blacked out like once every hour/hour and a half. Also try some of the sound settings, turning off the digital signal processing (or something along those lines) helped some as well
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the reply sturmhowl. I am not running the game through Steam (at least I assume I'm not since I don't actually know what that is). I disabled the audio option you mentioned and it did seem to give me some better stability, with 15-20 minute stretches before I experienced a complete crash.

I have also tried lowering all the video/graphic options to improve performance, including playing at half resolution, but nothing seems to provide a significant or permanent fix. At the moment I cannot seem to even get to the character select screen. :tongue:

I'm sure the game programmers are really busy right with the multitude of bugs I have read about popping up, so I will be patient and hope for the best. Thanks again.
  • Options
    strumhowlstrumhowl Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i know this is a bit wierd but lowering my graphics actually seemed to make my game worse. I got the best performance just keeping it at the recommended settings
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Interesting. Maybe I'll try bumping them back up a little. The problem has gotten much less severe after the 2 recent patches, though I still can get the rapid sieze-ups that freeze the whole computer sometimes. I'll see how it goes. And thanks again for taking an interest. :smile:
  • Options
    theemmisarytheemmisary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just so you know- you arent the ONLY two this is happening to...
  • Options
    sugarbakersugarbaker Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I too am now having issues with the game after many months of flawless gameplay. My game will freeze, then the screen goes black. If I'm LUCKY it crashes to the desktop, where I can hit the CO icon on the taskbar and have it open up again. Sometimes the video settings change so it looks like night, but minimizing and reopening the game fixes that. This can happen as often as every few minutes to, most recently, every 20-30 seconds.

If I'm unlucky, the game freezes, the speakers start producing a monotone buzzing noise and the only thing to do is power cycle my computer to unlock it. At this point, the game's virtually unplayable.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just so you know- you arent the ONLY two this is happening to...

I figured as much. Just trying to put the issue out there to see if a solution comes forth. I appreciate any and all help/advice.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm getting this too! I tried everything: fresh install, complete reinstall of video drivers, fiddling with CO video settings... it's basically unplayable.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Open world zones seem pretty playable, except for Vibora Bay which is terrible for glitching/crashing for some reason. I can get through some lairs (like the ones on UNITY missions), but many cause a lot of glitching/crashing. Hallways are the worst, oddly enough.:confused:
  • Options
    peersrpgnetpeersrpgnet Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My current working theory is that it has something to do with loading textures needed for a large number of objects at once -- it seems to hit me most when going from a small room/hallway into a large room with multiple mobs. And if I'm able to turn my view or back out of the room in-between black screens I can get them to stop happening.
  • Options
    r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am getting frequent combat LOCK UPS, and I am running an nVidia GTS250 under Win7x64 (8GB ram, yada yada). No problems last week, but after the double-xp weekend, it seems I am locking up A LOT.

I play windowed, and never had issues - nothing has changed, etc.

The Secret World runs fine, and I understand is more graphically complex/intense. What happened recently?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]