What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New FotM = Boomerang?

agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
edited August 2012 in The Hero Games
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=164521

So what does the PvP community think?

Might it be time to RetCon a character and troll the hell out of some people with this power? I'm actually curious to see just how buffed up you can make this power and if it's viable as an "I win" button (in both PvP and PvE).
Post edited by agentnx5 on

Comments

• Options
    lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »

Might it be time to RetCon a character and troll the hell out of some people with this power? I'm actually curious to see just how buffed up you can make this power and if it's viable as an "I win" button (in both PvP and PvE).
    AOPM...and Boomerrang!
    Sigh...it's going to happen. Geyser move over, you have got company as the most spammed power ever!

But, it will get nerfed soon enough. I don't know if you have been around long enough,but at one time, for a very short time. Regen was overpowerd...yes...you heard me!!

It got nerfed a month or so after release because it was soooo good!
    Boomerrang will get the same treatment, trust me. Too many people already crying, and it just came out today!
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    HOnest question here,

What is its burst capability ?

Building for DPS in PvP is questionable at best.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ugh... Cryptic, why do you fail so hard at SUBTLE balance changes? Always with the sledgehammering abuse until it's nerfed into uselessness... Some how I fear, instead of adjusting the new power, Gentleman_Crush will just lower AoPM even further than it's already been lowered... FFS. I highly doubt he'll be pleased or willing to admit his (well to be fair, not just his, other team members too) most recent creation needs balance adjustment, even if that's the logical solution. So maybe it'll be nerfed like regen was, probably true Ashensnow. I guess the big question is "when?" eh?

In either case the obvious solution, to me, is to leave AoPM alone (or maybe even repeal it's former nerf, which really wasn't necessary) and leave the damage of boomerang alone and look at its energy cost.

Blarg... I always get a bad feeling when I see this stuff. I'm kind of stubborn to seeing powers change much these days, but this newcomer, boomerang, might need some adjustment... Hard to say right now with confidence.

But anyways, my question here is more if the PvP build experts can find a build that can take full advantage of this power for the time being. If it's going to be the next FotM for a time, then can you make a boomerang-centered build that will really own most people you go into battle against.

I want to see if a FotM build is possible centered on boomerang. That's what this topic is about.

Write one up here and I'll be happy to critique it for you if you want:
    http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html
    (export button when you're done so you can post it here)
  • Options
    theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    takes too long to charge for too little damage
    ** its energy cost is bugged&&
    and here i thought id be seeing these threads about shadow strike
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    theapygoos wrote: »
    takes too long to charge for too little damage
    ** its energy cost is bugged&&
    and here i thought id be seeing these threads about shadow strike

Maybe use concentration or focus stacks? Is it not viable to use with a tap-spam? I'm honestly curious to see if a killer build is possible to make, that uses this power.
  • Options
    theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe use concentration or focus stacks? Is it not viable to use with a tap-spam? I'm honestly curious to see if a killer build is possible to make, that uses this power.

oh im sure that you can combo boomeerang into a whole bunch of other nice moves, the immediate way i see from it is get CC on it and use it as a long range poke/taunt, then follow up with defile, or whatever long range spike you have
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    theapygoos wrote: »
    then follow up with defile, or whatever long range spike you have

This seems likely to be the key.

DPS powers whose utility is derived from decent damage and great energy efficiency need to be able to whittle people down over time. In that time the target has a spike damage effect that hits you for 15-25k damage in one hit.

They get to mitigate the impact of your damage output over time. You have to be able to mitigate theirs all at once.

Im not saying that it cant be done, merely that the CO PvP meta is not forgiving of DPS builds.

• Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Boomerang AoE with CC seems fun, it does nice damage. Was getting 3k-4k crits on multiple test dummies in the Power House. But that was with 117% severity.

Shadowstrike does not seem as viable in the fast paced, ranged world of PvP. Takes too long (4 seconds) to be placed into sneak mode in order to even pull it off. By then you are either getting stun locked or knocked, etc. The whole sneak function could be more viable in this PvP environment, though, if Evasive Maneuvers' adv 'Slight of Mind' would place you into sneak immediately :biggrin: (Un)fortunately it does not. The only way I can really see this working is with Smoke Grenade's adv, giving one enough time to be placed back into sneak mode to pull off a Shadowstrike. But then, still, you need to close the gap on your opponent.

Also, the Boomerang energy builder.. Christ that thing is doing 600-1k damage almost consistently on the build I was messing with.
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Boomerang won't be much for FOTM, since it doesn't really shine without night warrior, and that passive itself isn't very impressive.

For the duelers in ren cen unfamiliar with perception, they'll be fodder, and the AT will give some ATs a run for their money, since so few ATs can actually fit perception. A cursed or scourge can counter thanks to pest and epi. A squall should be relatively safe with hurricane as well.

Tap damage isn't impressive, and there are very few maintain builds running around. While said maintain builds can be quite deadly, they're also glass cannon vulnerable since so many stats have to be dedicated to crit.
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Well the Batman is the Chuck Norris of superheroes, so yes :P
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well the Batman is the Chuck Norris of superheroes, so yes :P
    freeform isn't free

I don't get what you're getting at with these two comments... Speak plainly.
  • Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't get what you're getting at with these two comments... Speak plainly.

I try to ignore his posts. He must think that mentioning Batman and Chuck Norris in one sentence (disregarding the OP that he quoted) makes him instantly cool. But... No. It makes him look lame and 100% ignorant regarding the very subject matter he bothered to quote.
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    haha

Wow... it's really remarkable seeing the way your assumptions unfold. :)
  • Options
    chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't know if you have been around long enough,but at one time, for a very short time. Regen was overpowerd...yes...you heard me!!

It got nerfed a month or so after release because it was soooo good!
    Actually, Regen still wasn't that great. It didn't scale worth beans, so it wasn't great at 40 where a one-shot would end any hope of reneging.

When most of the nerf calls came, the majority of the playerbase was sub 40 and they basically didn't have a clue what they were talking about. But managed to get it nerfed anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Actually, Regen still wasn't that great. It didn't scale worth beans, so it wasn't great at 40 where a one-shot would end any hope of reneging.

When most of the nerf calls came, the majority of the playerbase was sub 40 and they basically didn't have a clue what they were talking about. But managed to get it nerfed anyway.
    I just remember not dying. Ever. Regen at that time was very good imo.
    Otherwise they wouldn't have touched it as fast as they did.
    I knew others that were yelling and screaming to get it nerfed.

And when they did, they crushed it. Even now, it's just meh.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    And i take back my early statement about "Boomerrang".
    Messed around with a build in the powerhouse.

It's not that powerful. It's fun and a good attack. But out of the intended passive not so scary.

I messed with it a few weeks back in the pts. Seemed better then.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

I could walk away from the keyboard, go to the store, pick up dinner makings, come home, cook, sit down and eat, then come back to the keyboard to find my level 40 with regen still standing in the middle of level 40 mobs...alive and ticking.

I retconned away from regen because it was easy mode even at 40. The only thing that caused it problems were boss charge ups....that are telegraphed and easily blocked.