test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Forge/Foundry Demo

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Fan Base Alpha
Today's link is brought to you by the color green, for envy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhpYM8GDMIE
/CanadaBanner4.jpg
Post edited by canadascott on

Comments

• Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Um... wow...

I can only hope that NW is a success and some of the money funnels back to CO...

If not, I doubt we'll ever see the foundry...

:frown:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So, how about dropping the Foundy in CO atlast. So we can have player created Alerts.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Foundry is everything this game needs to be a total and resounding success. More content = more players.

And not just player-defined alerts, but extensive player defined missions would be possible. Epic!
  • Options
    man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow just wow why can't we have this here we would stop complaining about content I promise :wink:
    edited August 2012
    On the one hand, I do really, really want the Foundry here. UGC can really extend the life of a game/bring it back to life if the community gets behind it and tells some good stories. (And while Sturgeon's Law is definitely in effect for any UGC - there's always that 10% that's not crap that makes it worth it imo.)

On the other hand, it has some limitations (at least in STO) that drive me insane whenever I attempt to make content.

Say you want to make a brand-new enemy group - no problem right? You can make custom costumes and place them on your bad guys.

Except if you have a lot of bad guys in your mission, you have to costume each of them individually. It may be a simple process - click guy, click selection bar, click name of costume, done. But you have to do it for *every single mob* individually.

That's REALLY annoying after awhile, and could have been solved using Architect's* system of creating brand new critters instead of just costumes to stuff on existing ones.**

Likewise - say you want your mobs to have a specific type of weapon - maybe they all use bows, for example... nuh-uh, not gonna happen, not unless you can find an all-bow pre-generated encounter to costume. Enemy powers and weapons are all pre-chosen, so you have to play a weird game of "match the mob group" to your desired enemy group.

Worse: Say you need one very specific mob to show up - it has some power or other that's plot-relevant or otherwise indispensable for what you want your players to face. Too bad - you're going to have to just hope it shows up, because those spawns I mentioned? Yeah they're also random as to what powers show up, so unless it's a really common enemy, you're SOL.

Likewise, say you need to combine two different enemy groups on the same map to act as one group for the mission. (To use a CO example, say you needed the powers of Argent goons and Manimals within the same group for whatever reason.) - if those groups are hostile to each other naturally, then they'll shoot at each other automatically - there's absolutely nothing you can do to make them cooperate against the player.

Finally - if you choose mobs that are naturally friendly to the player because they have the right powers for what you want? Yeah they'll still be friendly to the player and thus will be useless as mobs. To use a STO example, Klingons cannot fight Klingons in UGC content because UGC Klingon mobs are always friendly to Klingons. Thus you end up with weird missions where in order to create a 'house vs house' battle within the Klingon Empire, the author had to use a different race's ships, and then costume them in Klingon skins.

My point in all this isn't to say "The Foundry stinks" - it doesn't, it's got a lot of potential and I'd really like to see it in CO; but it does mean that unless you only want to tell stories with existing enemy groups*** you have to put in a metric ton of extra work because nobody thought of the ability to say... lasso a spawn and randomly distribute a given set of costumes among them (or for that matter, CREATE 'sets' of costumes instead of just individual costumes); or let you pick powers with some built-in anti-stupidity controls.****

Basically I'm just saying it's not all it's cracked up to be at least in STO. It's got some strong points, but unless you want to tell stories with default mobs, it can be extremely unfriendly.

That said... I still want it. < . .>

*City of Heroes content generation tool. Nowhere near as powerful as the Foundry, but it does some things better in spite of that. Obviously YMMV.

**I realize the goal is to avoid 'cheat' mobs - people creating mobs that are pathetic and easily farmed - but there are ways around that without crippling your NPC creation tools.

***And maybe it's just me, but a lot of the enemy groups in CO and STO leave a lot to be desired imo; hence the desire to create my own.

****The simplest method is simply making power selection additive rather than subtractive. The mob will DEFINITELY have certain basic powers - you might be able to choose the flavor of those powers, but they're going to have them no matter what you do; and those powers alone put the mob at the base level for difficulty for the game. Then if you want, you can add more powers to that mob for flavor or additional challenge.

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh lord this makes me want the Foundry for CO sooooo bad.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    :eek:
    :biggrin:
    :smile:
    :cool: ME WANT!
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh man, I remember making stuff in the original Neverwinter Nights games. I had no idea what I was doing.

Also it reminds me of CO's Archetict Entertainment. I just hope it doesn't get abused like how it did when it launched. So many AE farms..
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Neverwinter only really needs Jets with Rocket Launcher .. without them the game will fail :tongue:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    Neverwinter only really needs Jets with Rocket Launcher .. without them the game will fail :tongue:

Stop trolling, and I hope someone reports you for advertising another game with your avatar and sig pic. I would if it wasn't such a PITA these days.

On Topic;

I've been following Neverwinter for some time and I watched these videos the day of release, and yeah, I can't wait. Not only for Neverwinter, but for the Foundry to be completed and done well enough there to get ported over to hear.. it's about time STO and Neverwinter started paying us back, snce we here in Champions have paid it forward by supporting Cryptic for all these years now.

If we hadn't been here in Champions, STO and Neverwinter would never have been made.
  • Options
    beastmagbeastmag Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    wow!!! pleasse let me get an invite!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I have, theoretically, three chances for an invite. I'm a lifer for CO and STO and I coughed up for a pre-order of TL2

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A lot of stuff would have to slow down for us to get Foundry/Forge, but if it came around the moment it dropped a great big chunk of players would come back to this game, and start buying the C-Store stuff they missed out on. It's just a case of whether enough people would be happy to stick around through the tough times in order to keep the game alive.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I think it'd be worth it.

One would hope they'd get something out of all this rework of the game they did for On Alert

I'm not sure how much Dev time that took, but the muuuuch slower pace of content coming out this year would indicate they can still use up that much time to make a big change happen.

I don't think they'd have the same content exploit/grind issues that they had in CoX, based on that demo. But who knows.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    jackniefpwjackniefpw Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I hope we get it here, because I've I've quite happily spent over 400 dollars for this game, Lifetime and various other things... And when I heard about this in STO I was pretty excited. I heard rumor that this was going to come out for Champions when Neverwinter was released, and so I'm doubly exicted for it to come out.

I used to build worlds for NWN1... NWN2 less so because I couldn't have the customization I did in the first one. If this has even half the amount of customizability of NWN1, I'll be greatly pleased and satisfied.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The more I see, the more I get Foundry envy.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg