test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

That one spammable main attack... Advice, please!

ulyana13gruulyana13gru Posts: 22 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Power Discussion
Hello gentlemen!

I recently returned to the game and while I was utterly confused at start with all new setups I do believe I am finding my way around the new builds and synergies. I'm also just acquiring the new gear which helps the synergy and general strength.

Now..! I made a build centered around AOPM, Ego, Int, Con. I've heard this is fotm in pvp - I used to play a lot of pvp in my prime but as I hear it is more or less broken... I'm pretty much just duelling and pveing in good fun. Thus, I am not aiming for maximum BASH-minmax, but if you have comments regarding the build's compatibility in said venue, by all means share.

I have willingly(ish) forgone Crip. Challenge and NTTG, but I will probably reinstate it sooner or later. I know it's a must, but so far I've pretty much just been fooling around and getting to know the game again. Goes for holds and roots as well, none of that in this build. I used to be at least more than okay in PvP when I was active - so I know the basics. What I might not know is what's hot these days etc.

What I want advice on, from you lads, is my alpha strike (and spammable dito!). Right now the build follows, more or less

Ego spec (crit, severity, all that jazz), Vindicator and Guardian for offense/defense synergy.

AOPM
Dark Transfusion
MSA
Conviction
Bubble! The energy version, because of the animation :3
Bionic Shielding
Electric Sheath (adv, ofc)
Resurgence
Masterful Dodge
Concentration

Energy Wave (mainly for conceptual reasons, it's good in PVE and actually far more fun and handier than expected in pvp)
Lightning Arc (self-explanatory, high damage and wonderful crits)
Gigabolt

It is gigabolt that I am a little unsure of. It is nice because of negative ions and that it does fair damage and is definately spammable with my high energy generation - even though tap spamming it doesn't outdamage LA.

What I am wondering, because I just can't seem to draw any to mind, is if there are any other alpha strikes that would be better than giga? It'd have to outweigh the negative ion application... Which I am not sure it would. Cascade is nice but costs near twice the energy to spam. It might be doable, and the knock is nice, but still. Not sure if it trumps gigabolt in the long run...

As you might see, input and advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Post edited by ulyana13gru on

Comments

• Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    a fotm build? get force casade...

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I have a slight hunch you just looked at my superstats and passive and then typed a stupid comment down.

Says a lot about you :3
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Defile or Ebon Ruin may be contenders for what you're looking for. You also seem a little heavy on healing/defense powers - I realize it's at least partially a concept build, but conviction, bionic shielding, masterful dodge, resurgeance, and electric sheath w/ adv seems a bit much. That's not counting protection shield/MR and energy wave's adv (if you take it).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thank you Bioshrike!

Yeah, honestly, I think I am too. I was unsure of how squishy I'd be and since I don't have easy-burn-through-mobs powers like, say, Sword Cyclone or Epidemic I noticed I took a fair bit of beating in the hard 5-man training hall setup and adjusted thoroughly. Is it just me or do mobs hit slightly harder these days?

As far as PvP is concerned, I've just had a few duels which have turned out fine, probably because I could burst 'em quickly. I am squishy as heck and spamming conv/bubble and, well, everything I've got, has been a must so far :)

I think it's likely due to the fact that I have no controls (not even nttg) and thus can't escape being beaten at with a stick. A more rounded off build would forego Bionic, for perhaps Ice Cage or something of that nature.

I might drop Bionic for Ice Cage and something else for Hurl (nttg - I don't like gayser) or possibly ER, the trauma certainly is nice. To be realistic if I was aiming for pvp I might have to let DT go as well for more control. It would be fine I think but I simply do enjoy being able to spam and forget... With more practice (being rusty and all) perhaps energy management will be a non-issue and I could drop it for something more handy. Perhaps Evasive Manouvers would have a place if I went for a PvP setup.

(edit): That said I am still not sure if I even want to go full PvP. Duels in good spirit and sportmanship are fun indeed but I hear hero games are really a crapfest these days - I haven't even tried yet. And if it is duels I enjoy, I certainly don't enjoy going all cheesyfest with stealth and permaholds, and what have you. If it's too easy it's not fun!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well, as far as NTTG goes, one less oft used power that I find to be pretty neat is Hex of Suffering. It actually can apply NTTG in an AoE, and can further be advantaged to root those it hits.

Another less frequently used one is Condemn - it can also affect an AoE w/ NTTG and be advantaged to paralyze the target on a full charge.

As for survivability - consider evasive maneuvers w/ its advantage - no better way to avoid a hurting than to make yourself invisible and un-attack-able to your enemies, (for a short time at least).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yep, EM is a classic tried and approved one. It is great, make no mistake :) Good idea with Hex & Condemn! I'll give them a look over when I get home from work- it's the middle of the day where I am at.

So, I might drop Bionic for EM (this would be more or less pvp only move, if I choose the adv, which I will, ofcourse) and... Not sure what I'd drop for condemn - I'll fiddle around a bit and see if I still need DT; as my gear improves I think MSA will be enough, perhaps.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Take this approach - list what you consider your "must have" powers, then list those you are somewhat less strict about keeping, and we can go from there.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    AOPM
    Conv
    Bubble
    MSA
    Electric Sheath
    Lightn. Arc
    Gigabolt (or other alpha strike, might actually take gigabolt plus ER for trauma) Gigabolt so far fits thematically best. Cascade could work too, but not as much a spammable attack as gigabolt.

The rest aren't exactly must haves although two ADs are never a bad thing to have. Energy Wave is awesome in solo PVE but not exactly a must have - I keep it for thematic reasons mostly. But it's nice to have a knock I guess :)

Regards,
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    AOPM
    Conv
    Bubble
    MSA
    Electric Sheath
    Lightn. Arc
    Gigabolt (or other alpha strike, might actually take gigabolt plus ER for trauma) Gigabolt so far fits thematically best. Cascade could work too, but not as much a spammable attack as gigabolt.

The rest aren't exactly must haves although two ADs are never a bad thing to have. Energy Wave is awesome in solo PVE but not exactly a must have - I keep it for thematic reasons mostly. But it's nice to have a knock I guess :)

Regards,

Ok, so let's say 8 power picks are spoken for, (I'm including energy wave since you're a fan). That leaves 6 that are up in the air. Electric sheath w/ its adv is sort of an active defense too, so how about rounding it out w/ resurgeance w/ its adv, (to aid in breaking out of holds and such).

That leaves you with 5 power picks.

You indicated you'd like something to apply NTTG and some crowd control, and condemn fits the bill on both account, (and doesn't have a cooldown like hex of suffering).

We now have 4 powers to play with.

You didn't indicate a block replacer, and if you want to increase your survivability, then I highly recommend one. The TK shield w/ its adv or the force block replacer are good choices. You could also go the route of retaliation from might for a little extra damage after a block.

Let's say you picked a block power, so that gives you 3 more powers.

With the trend of having lockouts for some tougher content, (like the Harmon Labs and Gravitar Alerts), I like to keep a self-rez, rez-other, or both handy, so consider one or both of those. Otherwise, just go to town w/ those last 3 picks and take w/e powers are fun for you to use...

Another power I highly recommend fitting in is one of the toggle forms. These are the various "form of" powers from martial arts, but the ones you may be most interested in are concentration, compassion, or manipulator. Enrage and Inertial Dampening field were also turned into "form" powers. For your purposes, concentration is the best choice, I think; It increases ranged damage, and you build build up stacks of the buff by attacking from more that 25' away or by maintaining a power for 1/2 it's total maintain time.

You may want to also look into Overdrive - it's a newer secondary energy unlock from Power Armor which generates energy whenever you maintain a toggle or power for at least half its duration.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I can't believe I forgot to write I have concentration already..!

Thanks for the tips mate, I appreciate it.