test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rank 3 Psionic Healing versus Rank 1 Empathic Healing and Iniquity?

williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Power Discussion
Which of these would work more effectively? I have a choice between:

Invulnerability R3
Empathic Healing R1
Iniquity R1

-OR-

Psionic Healing R3
Defiance R1
Inertial Dampening Field R1

Having read up a little more about Psionic Healing, I've unfortunately found that tap-healing gives energy to YOU, not to the person you're shooting the heal at... I was hoping for some more support viability in replenishing the energy of teammates, but it seems that isn't how it works. D: Is that correct? I don't believe energy will be an issue for me. Support role's equilibrium boost plus an Energy Unlock with Recovery Superstat means not having to worry at all.

So, if the power truly doesn't give energy to allies, is it worth it with the healing alone? I don't suppose there's any other R3 100-foot-range healing power that would work well? Bionic Shielding is out, as I don't want my allies to take damage in order to heal. Doesn't work well against heavy-hitters like Gravitar.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also have Protection Field (if there's a good reason to switch that out for Mindful Reinforcement, let me know). So I can throw that up before starting either heal.

Additionally, critical rate is about 40-45%, with critical severity about 110-115%. In case one set of heals functions better with criticals than the other.
Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
Post edited by williamkony on

Comments

• haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Which of these would work more effectively? I have a choice between:

Invulnerability R3
    Empathic Healing R1
    Iniquity R1

-OR-

Psionic Healing R3
    Defiance R1

Having read up a little more about Psionic Healing, I've unfortunately found that tap-healing gives energy to YOU, not to the person you're shooting the heal at... I was hoping for some more support viability in replenishing the energy of teammates, but it seems that isn't how it works. D: Is that correct? I don't believe energy will be an issue for me. Support role's equilibrium boost plus an Energy Unlock with Recovery Superstat means not having to worry at all.

So, if the power truly doesn't give energy to allies, is it worth it with the healing alone? I don't suppose there's any other R3 100-foot-range healing power that would work well? Bionic Shielding is out, as I don't want my allies to take damage in order to heal. Doesn't work well against heavy-hitters like Gravitar.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also have Protection Field (if there's a good reason to switch that out for Mindful Reinforcement, let me know). So I can throw that up before starting either heal.

Additionally, critical rate is about 40-45%, with critical severity about 110-115%. In case one set of heals functions better with criticals than the other.

Several things:

Iniquity is 100', but you will need a self-heal to repair the damage it does to you. No idea if you have one elsewhere in the build, but Empathic as that self heal means you are not healing others or doing anything else for a longer time. Iirc the only other 100' heal is Rebuke, and I wouldn't call it or Psionic Healing good as I prefer to get more immediate results than charge ups provide. Rebuke provides ~2/3's of the heal Psionic does, at a total charge/animation load of 2.5 seconds versus Psionic's 3.5 seconds.

You cannot be in support stance while Inv or Defi are slotted. If you are carrying two passives, then ignore this comment.

Iniquity does not crit. Personally, it is better at R3 because the healing others aspect but not the self damage scales with rank.

With high crit rate and high severity, maintains are the way to go, and that means Empathic, to get more chances to crit -- but it's a 50' heal... A massive crit on Rebuke or Psionic has a huge impact, but can get you aggro if the tank's ability to keep aggro is marginal. Also, since charge-ups generate better returns when fully charged, you cannot count on getting a crit for your time investment.

Psionic's tap energy gain is for self, not others. This was put in prior to the Celestial set because at the time a healer could not gain energy by healing.

As you your choices? I would choose neither, but that's just me. If I was going to heal in Hybrid with a defensive passive, I would use LR or Inv and use Iniquity plus Conviction/BCR. I would not make a build that has two passives, as I find too many other things to do with power and rank picks.

If I had to choose one, I would take option 1. Using IDF means either no other toggle or you are taking two toggles as well as (possibly) two passives, which increases your build's power point tax.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Heh, this build is actually using three passives, and if I put Inertial Dampening Field in there, three toggles as well. That's how I want it to be set up, and it's actually been very effective in a similar build of mine. The other build actually has four passives, in fact. It's all about theme in that regard.

I suppose I could drop Empathic Healing in Option 1 and instead take Conviction, but that'd once again be hanging at rank 1.

So, is Psionic Healing just all-out bad? I know the charge time makes emergency healing difficult/impossible, but my hope is that a quick tap of Protection Field before starting the charge would be enough to keep a target alive. By my estimations, Support role and alternative boosts will give a total of 250-300% healing/shielding bonus.

Thanks for the insight!
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • konru2konru2 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Allow me to say this first. If you are running Invulnerability or Defiance, you aren't in Support role. They're incompatible.

Iniquity is technically the fastest team heal there is. But the fact that its energy comes out of your health is a big minus. If you're regularly taking yourself down to a quarter health in order to heal teammates, it's not going to matter if you have Invulnerability or not vs. Therakiel or Gravitar. Pairing that with Empathic Healing isn't a bad idea, but if you're in range to put a protection field on someone, you probably want to use empathic healing directly instead of messing with Iniquity.

Psionic Healing has 80% of the healing power of Empathic Healing. However, it has a 100' range and an energy building option. When used as a tap, Psionic Healing acts just like an energy builder. Especially with Recovery as a secondary stat, a couple taps can easily fuel a full charge healing even if your energy is spent. Also, each rank in a power is 20% better than the previous rank, so rank 3 of Psionic Healing is just going to be an overall better choice than rank 1 in both Empathic Healing and Iniquity.

Inertial Dampening Field is now considered a Form. So you can't have that on at the same time as Compassion, Concentration, Enrage, Aspect, or martial arts form.

Defiance is famous for giving its full defensive benefit at rank 1. But getting that benefit means getting hit at least faster than once every 20 seconds. After 20 seconds of not getting hit, your Defiant resistance drops to zero and will take 4 more seconds to get back up to one. Unless you are built for tanking or soloing, Defiance isn't worth the slot. Although it certainly is worth it for a primary tank.

So, my recommendation based on the data I see is this:

Psionic Healing R2
    Aura of Radiant Protection R2

That is assuming you aren't already using a different form. Radiant Protection will allow you to have some degree of resistance (and grant it as well to your teammates) while in support role, if you want that role. Feel free to move a rank from Psionic Healing or Radiant Protection to the other if you feel defense or healing is the bigger need.
    edited August 2012
    Heh, don't worry, I know that Invulnerability/Defiance can't be used in Support role. This character is all about using different roles, passives, and toggles to achieve mastery in one particular field at a time. I'll be using Seraphim while in Support role, as well as Compassion. Defiance/IDF would be for Tank role.

I know it seems inefficient, but a similar build has worked plenty well enough for my needs in the past, and I just really enjoy the playstyle. D:

Good point about being in range for Protection Field... I hadn't thought about its 50-foot limitation. I might just go Defiance/IDF/R3-Empathic, in that case. My Travel Powers provide good in-combat maneuverability, anyway, and I think that'd help me out when I'm taking damage... My old build had Bionic Shielding for a quick self-heal, but this one will be lacking that. And, unfortunately, I had to drop Presence as a Superstat to make all this stuff work... Compassion will be boosted via Recovery, now, instead. So, while I'll have good healing in Support role with Compassion going, my Tank role will be a little less capable of healing itself up.

How much does Psionic Healing scale at varying levels of charge? Do you get any decent amount by charging it up halfway, or even less than that?

Here's my build, to (hopefully) give a better idea of what I need:
    PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Inhuman
    Level 6: Agile
    Level 9: Enduring
    Level 12: Tireless
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Acrobat
    Level 21: Impresario

Powers:
    Level 1: Kinetic Darts
    Level 1: Telekinetic Assault (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Id Mastery (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Mental Discipline (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Ego Reverberation
    Level 14: Telekinetic Eruption (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Seraphim (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Redemption (Salvation)
    Level 26: Compassion
    Level 29: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (1/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

The powers aren't selected in any particular order right now, that'll come later.
  • sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Selfless Healer and Sentinel Aura with the occasional tap of Conviction are more than sufficient to cover the cost of healing with Iniquity.

Mix with Aura of Radiant Protection (which is quite tanky for a support passive) and optionally Ebon Sigils, and you'll have nothing to worry about on the survival front.

Edit: Above is still technically correct, but you're doing a weird hybrid swiss army knife build, so the advice really isn't relevant.

Iniquity's best used when you're building a walking turret of totally-not-carcinogenic healy light spam.

As someone who's used the Protection Field (with MR)/Psionic Healing combo for most of the past year...I can't recommend it, at all. It's sufficient, but it's more of a pain in the **** than it's worth.

Go Iniquity or don't bother with heal-others. You'd be better served by grabbing a rez and some way to reliably stay standing/uninterrupted while using it than you would trying to drip-feed HP back into other players with anything other than Iniquity.

Especially if you're three or four powers' worth in advantage points down (due to the passive switching) and without Pre as a superstat.

Just live through the stuff that kills them and rez them when they die. It's faster, less frustrating and gives you more time to actually enjoy using all the other stuff you've got in your build.

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.

Theme or not - that's really the root of your problem - 2 roles can be reasonable, but all 3 means you're less than mediocre at all of them.
    edited August 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    Theme or not - that's really the root of your problem - 2 roles can be reasonable, but all 3 means you're less than mediocre at all of them.

I'm not asking for opinions on that, just the three powers I'm torn between in the original post. But since you brought it up, the build works fine; I have one with four passives that routinely outdoes others in their chosen roles. I survive and hold aggro better in tank role than dedicated tanks, clear groups and bosses faster than dedicated damage-dealers, and-... Well, I'm not sure how I match up to dedicated support characters, as I've never really been in a situation where I could do a heck of a lot of support.

My "old" build uses Aura of Radiant Protection, Inertial Dampening Field, and Empathic Healing to support the team, so the majority of my support comes from just being in the general vicinity of the battle. I'm wanting to switch to Seraphim/Compassion so that I have more fun playing support.
    Selfless Healer and Sentinel Aura with the occasional tap of Conviction are more than sufficient to cover the cost of healing with Iniquity.

Mix with Aura of Radiant Protection (which is quite tanky for a support passive) and optionally Ebon Sigils, and you'll have nothing to worry about on the survival front.

Edit: Above is still technically correct, but you're doing a weird hybrid swiss army knife build, so the advice really isn't relevant.

Iniquity's best used when you're building a walking turret of totally-not-carcinogenic healy light spam.

As someone who's used the Protection Field (with MR)/Psionic Healing combo for most of the past year...I can't recommend it, at all. It's sufficient, but it's more of a pain in the **** than it's worth.

Go Iniquity or don't bother with heal-others. You'd be better served by grabbing a rez and some way to reliably stay standing/uninterrupted while using it than you would trying to drip-feed HP back into other players with anything other than Iniquity.

Especially if you're three or four powers' worth in advantage points down (due to the passive switching) and without Pre as a superstat.

Just live through the stuff that kills them and rez them when they die. It's faster, less frustrating and gives you more time to actually enjoy using all the other stuff you've got in your build.

Ouch, didn't think Psionic Healing would be THAT bad. D: I do still want to keep Protection Field so I have something to throw out there when I'm not healing, but I suppose Psionic Healing is out. Heh, going with Invulnerability R3 will let me keep my form set to Mental Discipline, anyway, so I can hold threat more easily. Empathic Healing should still be potent with a critical rate of 55%-ish, even at rank 1, so I suppose that should do alright.

Thanks for the input!
    edited August 2012
    I had a long post detailing some stuff, but you seem dead set on this, so I'm not going to waste my time or yours. (I don't mean this to offend, please understand)

Psionic Healing's charge is heavily end-weighted, so if you're going to spend time charging it, try to get to at least about a 70% charge before you fire it off.

It's like trying to kill a group with a weaker, shorter-ranged version of Sniper Rifle that doesn't get interrupted. Except your team's survival depends on you pulling it off. And that the targeting is far worse, unless you're a full keyboard player with binds for everyone.

If that sounds like "fun" to you, go nuts.

Edit: I say this as someone who's tried to play a support/damage character since launch, in various iterations. I'm a wee bit bitter and jaded at this point with how clunky/weak/limited/theme-restrictive the support tools and controls are in this game. So take the above couple posts with that in mind.

Making an alt to spam Iniquity (with AoE advantage) using the AoRP/Conviction/MSA setup with Pre/con/int was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can't in good conscience ever suggest that anyone ever make a healer that isn't an Iniquity spambot ever again. The difference in ease of use and healing ability is night and day compared to everything else.

Problem is, it's also boring as ****. So your choices are "endlessly frustrating" or "boring easymode". So my solution to that particular Gordian Knot was "go play PSO 2".

Ouch, didn't think Psionic Healing would be THAT bad. D: I do still want to keep Protection Field so I have something to throw out there when I'm not healing, but I suppose Psionic Healing is out. Heh, going with Invulnerability R3 will let me keep my form set to Mental Discipline, anyway, so I can hold threat more easily. Empathic Healing should still be potent with a critical rate of 55%-ish, even at rank 1, so I suppose that should do alright.

If healing in support with Seraphim using Empathic R1, consider throw the Prot Field on your heal target before healing, the first couple or three ticks on Empathic are not going to keep up with incoming damage if you don't, even with Support/Seraphim and crits; the intial numbers are just too small.

Willie Nelson

• somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The problem with Psionic Healing (and all other charge type heals) is two things:

1) You get knocked/held/stunned/killed before you release the charge. Your time trying to heal the target was utterly wasted and you healed for zero.
    2) Your target dies before the heal arrives. Again, your time trying to heal the target was utterly wasted.

This is why people either go with Empathic Healing or other maintained heals. Yes, you'll heal for less (especially when you start the maintain), but you're always healing for something, thus avoiding the two issues above. Your target is getting HP immediately, and even if you get knocked halfway through the maintain, you still put some HP into them.

Or the other pick (as suggested) is Iniquity, as it works immediately, works at 100ft, and can't be interrupted (short of the instant when you push the button).
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2012
    I had a long post detailing some stuff, but you seem dead set on this, so I'm not going to waste my time or yours. (I don't mean this to offend, please understand)

Psionic Healing's charge is heavily end-weighted, so if you're going to spend time charging it, try to get to at least about a 70% charge before you fire it off.

It's like trying to kill a group with a weaker, shorter-ranged version of Sniper Rifle that doesn't get interrupted. Except your team's survival depends on you pulling it off. And that the targeting is far worse, unless you're a full keyboard player with binds for everyone.

If that sounds like "fun" to you, go nuts.

Edit: I say this as someone who's tried to play a support/damage character since launch, in various iterations. I'm a wee bit bitter and jaded at this point with how clunky/weak/limited/theme-restrictive the support tools and controls are in this game. So take the above couple posts with that in mind.

Making an alt to spam Iniquity (with AoE advantage) using the AoRP/Conviction/MSA setup with Pre/con/int was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can't in good conscience ever suggest that anyone ever make a healer that isn't an Iniquity spambot ever again. The difference in ease of use and healing ability is night and day compared to everything else.

Problem is, it's also boring as ****. So your choices are "endlessly frustrating" or "boring easymode". So my solution to that particular Gordian Knot was "go play PSO 2".

No offense taken! I'm sorry if I seem stubborn on something. I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to as far as me being dead set on whatever. XD The multi-passive, yeah, I'm going stubborn to the extreme, but as far as Psionic Healing, I'm just asking questions to learn all I can to make an educated decision. :P

I suppose the frustration does sound like it'd get in the way of the fun, yeah. Shame, 'cause it seemed like the miracle solution to my problem of constant tradeoffs with this build! I've been having trouble getting the one last piece into place, like a Rubik's Cube with all but two sides completed.

It's definitely looking like I should go Invulnerability/Iniquity. Newest fork-in-the-road is Empathic Healing or Conviction... Stuck at rank 1, of course. D: Probably going to go with Conviction, and hope that it's enough to keep me alive when in Tank role. Should be, I think! If not, I can spam Protection Field and blocking until I manage to heal back up, maybe with Telekinetic Eruption to take some of the pressure off. Should work, I think. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. :P
    haleakala wrote: »
    If healing in support with Seraphim using Empathic R1, consider throw the Prot Field on your heal target before healing, the first couple or three ticks on Empathic are not going to keep up with incoming damage if you don't, even with Support/Seraphim and crits; the intial numbers are just too small.

Yeah, already figured I'd have to make good use of Protection Field to keep that going, if I went that path. XD
    somebob wrote: »
    The problem with Psionic Healing (and all other charge type heals) is two things:

1) You get knocked/held/stunned/killed before you release the charge. Your time trying to heal the target was utterly wasted and you healed for zero.
    2) Your target dies before the heal arrives. Again, your time trying to heal the target was utterly wasted.

This is why people either go with Empathic Healing or other maintained heals. Yes, you'll heal for less (especially when you start the maintain), but you're always healing for something, thus avoiding the two issues above. Your target is getting HP immediately, and even if you get knocked halfway through the maintain, you still put some HP into them.

Or the other pick (as suggested) is Iniquity, as it works immediately, works at 100ft, and can't be interrupted (short of the instant when you push the button).

Does Psionic Healing have a projectile travel time? Just keeps getting worse and worse. D:

Anyway, yeah, I think I'll be going with Iniquity for sure. XD Next is the decision on a self-heal.
    edited August 2012
    No offense taken! I'm sorry if I seem stubborn on something. I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to as far as me being dead set on whatever. XD The multi-passive, yeah, I'm going stubborn to the extreme, but as far as Psionic Healing, I'm just asking questions to learn all I can to make an educated decision. :P

I suppose the frustration does sound like it'd get in the way of the fun, yeah. Shame, 'cause it seemed like the miracle solution to my problem of constant tradeoffs with this build! I've been having trouble getting the one last piece into place, like a Rubik's Cube with all but two sides completed.

It's definitely looking like I should go Invulnerability/Iniquity. Newest fork-in-the-road is Empathic Healing or Conviction... Stuck at rank 1, of course. D: Probably going to go with Conviction, and hope that it's enough to keep me alive when in Tank role. Should be, I think! If not, I can spam Protection Field and blocking until I manage to heal back up, maybe with Telekinetic Eruption to take some of the pressure off. Should work, I think. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. :P

Yeah, already figured I'd have to make good use of Protection Field to keep that going, if I went that path. XD

Does Psionic Healing have a projectile travel time? Just keeps getting worse and worse. D:

Anyway, yeah, I think I'll be going with Iniquity for sure. XD Next is the decision on a self-heal.

I was going to try to convince you to go with a two-passive route, using AoRP for tanking/support with the Bulwark tree in Guardian, with the offensive passive as a swap-in.

The only problem is that you need Pre for that to really work well.

What's negotiable in your current build?

I have one with four passives that routinely outdoes others in their chosen roles. I survive andaggro better in tank role than dedicated tanks, clear groups and bosses faster thdamage-dealers, and-... Well, I'm not sure how I match up to dedicated support characters, as I've never really been in a situation where I could do a heck of a lot of support.

since you're re receiving good advice from folks I can recommend, like Dr. Sage, I'll focus on this statement. Foreword; not trying to give you a hard time, just fyi ;)

I would agree somewhat with secksegai. To go in detail with his statemeny (nicely), youre spending power slot choices and quite possibly adv points. to truly become 'best' at something, sometimes you find yourself starving for adv points and power slots for such things like crippling challenge and challenging strikes .

With that mind, I completely disagree with your statement, if the build you quoted earlier is what you're using. From the players I've come to know (emphAsis on that), @silverspar is one of the best darn dedicated tanks.the true tanks that keep aggro too. Silverspar often runs gravitar, and always does a great job. Dps wise, I highly doubt that your build can nuke or sustain top end damage. Not the 1.5-2k per .5 second kind. Healer/support? Take a look at my dream star build. That aorp is giving teammates 124% damage resistance (which is defiance) just by being nearby, making even glass cannon sturdy. I've mention gem star out healing gravitar n warlord damage, but dream star doesn't even need to heal. Protection field bubbles have 7k health alone!

The list can go on in detail, but I hope that your building such a toon for your fun, playstyle, or what have you. Just keep in mind that it won't be top notch. There some builds that can do what you are trying to on paper with just one passive...
    Light Star Alliance (my toons with build guides & videos)
    Nature Powerset
    @Man.of.Light
  • chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can spam iniquity all day long, and not drop below 90% health. This is without using any other key, other than my iniquity key.

Iniquity is easily the most powerful single-target heal in the game.

Since it uses no energy, the efficiency of Iniquity is determined by how much you heal vs how much health you lose. If that ratio is low, you will have difficulty. If you want to minmax, get the ratio as high as possible, and iniquity will become godlike.

The health you lose doesn't scale, but the amount you heal does scale.

The presence spec Selfless Ally heals you for 10% of the value you heal on others. This works even if your target is full health. With Selfless Ally, if you can get your outgoing heals to 10x the value of the self damage, you heal for free.

Now it's kind of hard to get the number to 10x. But you can get it over 5x easily, with Seraphim, SS and decent gear (don't forget % heal gear) and of course, compassion.
    The remainder can be topped up with Sentinal Aura. Without lifting a finger to do it.

AoRP is not as potent for iniquity as seraphim. It doesn't mitigate self damage, so it doesn't help in that way. It doesn't buff outgoing heals, so you don't get much back from Selfless Ally. And what's the point of using a 50' aura to support a 100' heal?

Defensively, seraphim healers can be beastly anyway. You don't need crit, so you can pump CON and devote much of your spec tree to defense.. Your self healing is massive, layering HOTS is very nice, as is conviction. You can still use ebon void too if you want a bit more defense.

I will admit healing with seraphim is much more twitchy and requires more concentration than AoRP generally. But what you lose in their mitigation (assuming they are within 50 feet, which half of them won't be), you gain in healing power, healing speed, and flexibility. For example, I can rez people in warlord's fire and heal them to full before they burn.
    edited August 2012
    I was going to try to convince you to go with a two-passive route, using AoRP for tanking/support with the Bulwark tree in Guardian, with the offensive passive as a swap-in.

The only problem is that you need Pre for that to really work well.

What's negotiable in your current build?

Heh, I don't know that I want to do a total overhaul. Here's the build I've been using, that I really enjoy:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Divinity
    Level 6: Agile
    Level 9: Enduring
    Level 12: Intimidating
    Level 15: Shrug It Off
    Level 18: Acrobat
    Level 21: Finesse

Powers:
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Bionic Shielding
    Level 8: Form of the Tempest
    Level 11: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Empathic Healing (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Inertial Dampening Field
    Level 26: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Dragon's Claws (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Redemption (Salvation)
    Level 35: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Chest Beam

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (1/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

I'm looking into this other one in order to get more synergy between the different parts. Though... The animations on each power are WAY different than what I'd like. The old build is almost perfect as far as those go, my only qualm is with Electric Form's full-body-zappage.
    l1ghtstar wrote: »
    since you're re receiving good advice from folks I can recommend, like Dr. Sage, I'll focus on this statement. Foreword; not trying to give you a hard time, just fyi ;)

I would agree somewhat with secksegai. To go in detail with his statemeny (nicely), youre spending power slot choices and quite possibly adv points. to truly become 'best' at something, sometimes you find yourself starving for adv points and power slots for such things like crippling challenge and challenging strikes .

With that mind, I completely disagree with your statement, if the build you quoted earlier is what you're using. From the players I've come to know (emphAsis on that), @silverspar is one of the best darn dedicated tanks.the true tanks that keep aggro too. Silverspar often runs gravitar, and always does a great job. Dps wise, I highly doubt that your build can nuke or sustain top end damage. Not the 1.5-2k per .5 second kind. Healer/support? Take a look at my dream star build. That aorp is giving teammates 124% damage resistance (which is defiance) just by being nearby, making even glass cannon sturdy. I've mention gem star out healing gravitar n warlord damage, but dream star doesn't even need to heal. Protection field bubbles have 7k health alone!

The list can go on in detail, but I hope that your building such a toon for your fun, playstyle, or what have you. Just keep in mind that it won't be top notch. There some builds that can do what you are trying to on paper with just one passive...

Heh, yeah, I probably exaggerated a bit there. Someone who has a minmax'd build specialized in whatever role they choose is indeed going to surpass me, no doubt about that. But I can do really well in each field, so if the team already has a bunch of damage dealers, I can go tank and keep the attention off of them. Or, if we have plenty of tanking and support already, I can give a hefty amount of damage.

I am indeed going for fun, for the most part. XD I find it to be really effective regardless, but fun is still the focus. I honestly would rather not be all-out perfect, able to handle all situations at any time. Switching between different roles lets me play a specific part, rather than playing ALL the parts. It's hard to explain. XD Sorry if I'm being aggravating or confusing.
    I can spam iniquity all day long, and not drop below 90% health. This is without using any other key, other than my iniquity key.

Since it uses no energy, the efficiency of Iniquity is determined by how much you heal vs how much health you lose. If that ratio is low, you will have difficulty. If you want to minmax, get the ratio as high as possible, and iniquity will become godlike.

The presence spec Selfless Ally heals you for 10% of the value you heal on others. This works even if your target is full health. With Selfless Ally, if you can get your outgoing heals to 10x the value of the self damage, you heal for free.

Now it's kind of hard to get the number to 10x. But you can get it over 5x easily, with Seraphim, SS and decent gear (don't forget % heal gear) and of course, compassion.
    The remainder can be topped up with Sentinal Aura. Without lifting a finger to do it.

AoRP is not as potent for iniquity as seraphim. It doesn't mitigate self damage, so it doesn't help in that way. It doesn't buff outgoing heals, so you don't get much back from Selfless Ally. And what's the point of using a 50' aura to support a 100' heal?

Defensively, seraphim healers can be beastly anyway. You don't need crit, so you can pump CON and devote much of your spec tree to defense.. Your self healing is massive, layering HOTS is very nice, as is conviction. You can still use ebon void too if you want a bit more defense.

I will admit healing with seraphim is much more twitchy and requires more concentration than AoRP generally. But what you lose in their mitigation (assuming they are within 50 feet, which half of them won't be), you gain in healing power, healing speed, and flexibility. For example, I can rez people in warlord's fire and heal them to full before they burn.

That's some clever synergy! Unfortunately, my Specializations are already pretty much set in stone.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Protection Field R3 without PRE in Hybrid protects maybe for max 1500 points, and that
    comes before the characters defense. Spamming that as a non healer is just a waste
    of energy i would say. Even normal Villains in solo gameplay can bring that now down
    in some seconds.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited August 2012

AoRP/Iniquity works better with the AoE advantage on Iniquity, actually. It's roughly the same concept as "bubble + heal", except the bubble's always-on for a lesser amount.

Stacks quite well with Ebon Sigils, too. Keep everyone corralled within the sigils and within Iniquity range, and they won't die unless they're one-shotted. And AoRP/Sigils makes that much less likely.

I don't have any trouble keeping people alive in normal circumstances, so I build for the extenuating circumstances: To keep them alive while they are doing stupid things. Failing to block, standing in the fire, running away from the healer, etc etc. Or tasks that take them away from the rest of the party (like on Therakiel, or any other number of fights).

I have trouble keeping players within 100ft in pugs, and I do a lot of pugs, so short ranged plans or 'perfect case' plans are not for me. I build for worst case, not best case.

I have just found that long range instant cast healing is where it's at, because that's how players usually die. At long range, needing heals in a hurry.
  • l1ghtstarl1ghtstar Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's better to prevent an issue than for issue to come up, at least in my philosophy. Each their own, but I've made the conclusion that giving your team defiance (124% resist) makes them tough, harder to take down, and by making the boss hit like a wimp via ebon sigils, there's not much reason to even heal. I'll repeat that; there isn't much need to heal AT ALL.
    Here some vids and the full build in referring too; http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=147923

Since I can't update the thread, just note that the build has new stats, and odd is replaced by compassion now. Iniquity ticks for about 3k, bubbles for 7k, AoRP 60% self/124% team resist, bcr ticks for 700ish, and so on.

Btw, its not hard to keep folks around you. Ppl who I know, already know what to do, but in pugs, I use local chat toake sure they understand to stay close by. I explain the benefits in an express fashion, and if there's a stubborn joe I tellm to come back, or no heal. That usually does the trick :P
    Nature Powerset
    @Man.of.Light
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Heh, yeah, I probably exaggerated a bit there. Someone who has a minmax'd build specialized in whatever role they choose is indeed going to surpass me, no doubt about that. But I can do really well in each field, so if the team already has a bunch of damage dealers, I can go tank and keep the attention off of them. Or, if we have plenty of tanking and support already, I can give a hefty amount of damage.

When you choose to tank, how are you holding aggro w/out CC/CS?

Willie Nelson

• lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There's some good info in this thread, and I thank you all for your detail-invested commentary/discussions. I've learned a few things and want try some of them out!

Anecdotally, in my limited experience I've found Empathic Healing better than Psionic Healing for many of the reasons given above: As a maintain you get more chances to crit and faster/immediate healing to your target vs. the "slow" charge-up/animation and interruptability of PH.

...giving your team defiance (124% resist) ...note that the build has new stats, and odd is replaced by compassion now. Iniquity ticks for about 3k, bubbles for 7k, AoRP 60% self/124% team resist, bcr ticks for 700ish, and so on...
    Thanks for the link. I plan to borrow heavily on that build. I do have a couple questions:

1) How do you give your team Defiance at 124% resist?!?
    2) You've added Compassion by replacing "odd" - What is "odd"?
    3) Do you mind telling me what numbers you have on your super stats are at to achieve these feats?

Thanks in advance!
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • l1ghtstarl1ghtstar Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    oh, thanks for pointing that put. I'm using my phone, and It likes to "correct" abbreviations :(

I meant idf; inertial dampening field.

I invested everything to pre, which stands at 593. Since pre is that high, compassion buffs for 22% per stack, AoRP gives you 60%/124 team resist.
    Nature Powerset
    @Man.of.Light
  • chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    yup, I'm going to say you've made a good argument. I wasn't considering the compassion scaling with stacked presence. It puts conviction up to a reasonable level of efficiency, and you have AoRP to boot.

Good show!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I invested everything to pre, which stands at 593. Since pre is that high, compassion buffs for 22% per stack, AoRP gives you 60%/124 team resist.
    Thanks L1ghtstar. I rebuilt my Healer using your suggestions from your Dream Star build, specifically Sigils of Ebon Weakness and Aura of Radiant Protection. You're not kidding... I rarely have to even bother using Healing anymore... My team is so well shielded now, and she's not L40 (in mid-20s actually), so I'm using a full set of Nemesis Heirloom gear while leveling.

I expect when I get to L40 to get gear that will let me arrange the Super Stats better (ie focus on a higher Pre).

Thanks!
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.