test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How is it...

omegaslayanomegaslayan Posts: 5 Arc User
That people can be so rude?

I Logged in today after taking a few months break to learns whats new and retcon my Main. After Retconning my main i decided to do a Alert for some Questionite for the day and was defeated so i hit reco so i could get back into the fight faster.... this is were something i didn't know came into play, i was unable to get back to the fight :( and so i asked why was i unable to in zone chat (forgetting to switch it to team chat) no one answered till it was over.

One of the guys sent me a tell afterwards saying that you cant reco in that alert and BEFORE i even had a chance to reply he had ignored me, it's a jerk move to ignore someone before you hear why they didn't know a thing :(

If this is how everyone is going to be why should i even team with such meanies.
Post edited by omegaslayan on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I Logged in today after taking a few months break to learns whats new and retcon my Main. After Retconning my main i decided to do a Alert for some Questionite for the day and was defeated so i hit reco so i could get back into the fight faster.... this is were something i didn't know came into play, i was unable to get back to the fight :( and so i asked why was i unable to in zone chat (forgetting to switch it to team chat) no one answered till it was over.

One of the guys sent me a tell afterwards saying that you cant reco in that alert and BEFORE i even had a chance to reply he had ignored me, it's a jerk move to ignore someone before you hear why they didn't know a thing :(

If this is how everyone is going to be why should i even team with such meanies.

Please don't let a few rude individuals get you down. In short, the issue is a lack of patience. The Harmon Labs Alert, which is what it sounds like you're talking about, has a very annoying lock-out mechanism, (which you aren't informed about beforehand), during the boss fight. Many of us just kinda found that out when the alert first came out, and just knew it ever since. Many people forget that we had to learn this at some point, and conveniently forget this fact when someone new comes along and isn't "in the know".

Again, please don't let this bad experience speak for the majority of players, and I for one would like to welcome you back to CO!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I guess some people expect people doing stuff to have somekind of basic knowledge what they are doing.
    And since the Alerts hit, game has players (well more than before) with lil or none understanding basics of the game, that don't even know how to block at lvl 30, and that may have gotten some people frustrated to the point that hitting ignore is their way of dealing the situation.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the kind words you two, it just irks me when people don't even give me a chance to say i just came back. I know what alerts are but i left for a break before the Lockout ones where made so i didn't even know of them.

Hopefully i'll remember the lockout for now one.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Also gravitar has an annoying lock-out system :/ So be careful! :love:

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I had a similar experience except it was more weird then anything else. Somebody complimented me, they said I had a nice character. So I replied to their tell to try and thank them and I was ignored o.O The strangest experience of my life.

But yes, think of it this way, if they have the nerve to ignore you for being confused, you didn't need to be talking to them in the first place. :cool: Heck, they did you a favor by making it one less jerk you have to deal with. It's all about perspective! :biggrin:

As for me, I hate HATE using ignore. I'm not sure if it's out of me wanting to give everyone an equal chance or just sheer curiosity on having to miss out on what someone has to say but it's the last tool in my arsenal that I like to use, unless someone is trucking a back full of flat out rude and troll >.<

So in any case, there are a few of us decent players left. Don't let a jerk get your feathers ruffled, they come in all kinds of annoying colors. <3

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    mrkuntamrkunta Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It could be a bug. I remember I pm'ed someone and they told me in chat, I was ignoring them, but the thing was I didn't have anyone on my ignore list.
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is a bug in which people appear to have you on ignore when in fact they have never done it. Not sure what causes it, but I had a similar experience when I got a complimentary tell for my costume and was unable to reply. Another time I tried to reply to a seller in trade channel and was unable to. Through a third party we determined he hadn't put me on ignore, despite the game saying he had. It's cryptic.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Most people don't put you on ignore and send you a tell - it's far more likely it was the bug which has the person shown as ignoring anyone not on his/her friends list.

Then again, it could have been me - I'm so burnt out on watching teams wipe and players do so horribly over and over again my patience is all but gone for anything.
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I got that the other day too, I was warning people in Zone about a scammer who was cleaning out SG banks, and some twit just said "and you're reported" and put me on ignore. Pfft, don't worry about idiots like that, Omega, just like real life there's strange people all over the place.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Sadly this is how some people are but there are many more people with brains who can explain things and help out.

It only gets worse as a Healer. I went into a Harmon Alert Today and was healing and then some DPS ran INTO a mob and dragged them to me and the shouted at me to heal him whilst I was getting knocked around the place. I have been called a "female dog" so many times amongst other things because I cant heal people when I am dead...I have even been on a team where someone refused to recover if he died. And PMed me lots of horrible stuff, needless to say he is one of the 5 people on my ignore list, I have been playing since F2P not that long and I am usually very tolerant with people but it seems in recent times more and more ppl are coming under the classification of "Rude Noob".
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You can try /whitelist_tells 0 or /unhide
    I had the 'Ignore Bug' while back and those might work.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    wacky99 wrote: »
    I got that the other day too, I was warning people in Zone about a scammer who was cleaning out SG banks, and some twit just said "and you're reported" and put me on ignore. Pfft, don't worry about idiots like that, Omega, just like real life there's strange people all over the place.
    Question is, Wacky, did you content yourself with saying "XXXX is a scammer, will open trade then rip you off" once, or did you, like so many, turn it into a macro and start spamming Chat with it over and over? Because the latter is the behavior I see most often with such warnings, to the point I've begun to wonder whether this is warning us of a scam, or just harassing the named player...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sadly this is how some people are but there are many more people with brains who can explain things and help out.

It only gets worse as a Healer. I went into a Harmon Alert Today and was healing and then some DPS ran INTO a mob and dragged them to me and the shouted at me to heal him whilst I was getting knocked around the place. I have been called a "female dog" so many times amongst other things because I cant heal people when I am dead...I have even been on a team where someone refused to recover if he died. And PMed me lots of horrible stuff, needless to say he is one of the 5 people on my ignore list, I have been playing since F2P not that long and I am usually very tolerant with people but it seems in recent times more and more ppl are coming under the classification of "Rude Noob".

This behavior on the internet is nothing new. It is dismaying when it occurs in a game one enjoys, but sadly it is not uncommon. There is a website devoted to examples of such comments, primarily in online competitive games on controllers. Many of the comments quoted are nasty as all get out.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I dont ignore anyone anymore due to the fact that its linked into the report spam button , I wouldn't want someone chat banned just because I dont like them.

And people that ignore somebody just because they asked a valid question thats just plain rude :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Posts: 51
    edited August 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I wouldn't want someone chat banned just because I dont like them.

You are a far better person than I.

That said I don't have anyone on ignore because I turned chat off as soon as the game went F2P. Not my first rodeo.
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Question is, Wacky, did you content yourself with saying "XXXX is a scammer, will open trade then rip you off" once, or did you, like so many, turn it into a macro and start spamming Chat with it over and over? Because the latter is the behavior I see most often with such warnings, to the point I've begun to wonder whether this is warning us of a scam, or just harassing the named player...

Just a single sentence. I don't spam stuff in chat, just occasionally answer questions.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    nvm...
    /tenchar
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Some ppl are mistaken Healer as Heal Drone or something.
    Just silently take him to ignore list. xD
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Tards gonna tard!!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thank you all for the kind words, i may try teaming again some time soon. I tend to solo mostly(in many games that have any co-op) to avoid drama in anything.
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just know that there are good people. I tend to be a very solitary person as well. I hate HATE teaming with random people I don't know most days... not sure why >.> I can handle occasional interaction but beyond that, I'm just like people to get off me xD Even one time, I had a friend once who constantly wanted me to reroll and duo toons with him... it got SO annoying because he was never happy... completely ruined any semblance of immersion.

But anyways, hope all goes well :D

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Levelling in silence is boring, and despite some teams being rather bad (Hugging Warlord despite being a Soldier with zero support as an example.) you gotta go with the flow. Sometimes you get good, sometimes...Not so much.

@HangingDeath if you want a partner. Fully willing to team up and help out, if you need a bro or another team member.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i use a lot of key-bind emotes and catchphrases in game, partly because i use a controller, partly because i'm disabled and some days have difficulty with typing and partly because it's just plain cool to have catchphrases.

Usually if it gets any mention from other players it's been people saying how cool it is and even thanking me for making their game more fun or asking how it's done. A few times there has been someone who didnt like it but then thats fair enough too i think.

The other day there was one person who said "What kind of noob are you" my reply, while laughing over skype with my team, was "a level 40 one".

But they kept it up berating me because of my keybinds (with name-calling included). I tried to reply (calmly i might add) but it seems they had put me on ignore while continuing to send me hostile PM's. A bully then, a coward and a bully who wants to get away with attacking others while not allowing a right of reply. I hit the ignore function for the very first time ever on them, i figure a bully deserves it.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    @HangingDeath if you want a partner. Fully willing to team up and help out, if you need a bro or another team member.

Would take you up on the offer but soon a game i'll be playing will be coming out and ill be even more busy (Transformers FoC). Too many games so little time.... and just kinda notice it meant your global, was kinda slow on that one.

By too many games i mean i got too many back piled, ranging form a old N64 game to a new PS3/XBox game.
    i use a lot of key-bind emotes and catchphrases in game, partly because i use a controller, partly because i'm disabled and some days have difficulty with typing and partly because it's just plain cool to have catchphrases.

Psychical or mental? Sounds like Psychical.

I'm partly(keyword) mental disabled, I'm often slow and forgetfully due to the way i can think (at least 3 ways at the same time).
    I can have a 'war' with myself about whats a better way to fight, etc.
    Here's a basic look into the three
    1:Long Range (Genesis, The Nice guy of the 3)
    2:Up Close (Omega, Jackass)
    3:Stealth (Omni, Logic and low on emotions)
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited August 2012

Peopel in this game love to ignore people... its like a trend to do so... some day when you post in zone chat you maybe get chatmuted for 24 hours because some peopel think it is funny to ask their friends to all "report spam" you so that u get chatmuted..lol

thats called a trollattack ...:/

this game is full of trolls...