test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic is Up!

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
The Ask Cryptic massive blog o' answers has arrived! Was your question one of the many that were answered?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    For some reason I'd not heard about a planned sidekick system... this intrigues me greatly, as does the vehicle system. Hrm...

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
  • cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well... I must say it was interesting on some bits, tad saddened to see the full power reviews go though.

Maybe this is good news for other powersets that need rebalancing and not a full-scale review like in the old times.

Well I am glad all my questions got answered =p.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Please please don't let Duels happen in the RP locations, this will just have griefers duel spamming if they see rp's going on.

Don't believe me?

You know why they had to remove duels from Caprice? that's why.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Look forward to seeing what GMC is planning, and while I find the dropping of the full-review thing somewhat disappointing, the fact that they're going to try and do more pointed, on-demand reviews probably makes more sense in the long run.

Same with new power additions, really.

EDIT: Also, seriously, if you guys take requests I'm sure the community would love to throw you a million ideas. Help us help you help us make the heroes we want to be.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: Also, seriously, if you guys take requests I'm sure the community would love to throw you a million ideas. Help us help you help us make the heroes we want to be.

We always welcome feedback, drop your thoughts in the Suggestion Box.

From my own side of things -- the community management, web portal side -- definitely let me know any thoughts you might have. Just like in any other job, being a Community Manager means balancing a ton of different things, and often means ideas have to go through a time/benefit analysis. If enough people show that they're interested in something, it tells me that a project may be worth doing. Think of the suggestion box and my PM inbox as your own personal Kickstarter. :smile:

As with everything, there are no guarantees, but I always welcome feedback.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Also, seriously, if you guys take requests I'm sure the community would love to throw you a million ideas. Help us help you help us make the heroes we want to be.

YES!!! Been asking for this for well over a year now! Glad to hear somebody else join the chorus.
    Please please don't let Duels happen in the RP locations, this will just have griefers duel spamming if they see rp's going on.

Don't believe me?

You know why they had to remove duels from Caprice? that's why.

Sorry no, I disagree.

What happens is that people don't understand that you can whitelist dueling (I did this for my healer so people won't challenger her and she can rez in peace), ignore trolls in-game, and just remember this simple rule of internet culture: don't feed the trolls (with negative attention).

It's very hard to troll somebody who is completely ignoring you btw, just so you know. Example: BatFaun in Costume Contests.

In fact I look forward to some combination/blended RP+PvP custom areas. Sounds awesome really. And Club Caprice can stay happily PvP disabled, as always. Everybody wins (except for those few that feel they are entitled to own that space right?)

PvE, PvP, RP (or E-RP for that matter). Everybody should feel welcome to play any or all of those aspects.

Better to unite community rather than divide & segregate into little cliques and inner-circles. (and yes, you will always have those few bad apples one in awhile).

I would like to see all three recognized by the developers, even though I would argue that PvE is the foundation, each brings something good to the community. And most people in-game I know dabble in all three to some extent.
    edited August 2012
    The Ask Cryptic massive blog o' answers has arrived!

Doh! And here I just posted in that other thread... *feels foolish*
    Was your question one of the many that were answered?

*sigh* Nope.

But I saw several things that made me want to stand up and clap (if they're truly going to be implemented, and done with passion & quality not rushing through it)...

Mechanon!!! Starguardians!!! Ship-to-ship combat?! New ZONE being discussed FOR REAL!?!?!

Yes!!!!!!!!!! *happy dance*

*ahem* Pardon my joyful outburst. Please, take the time to detail out stuff (don't rush the projects), test it out when the PTS with enough time to get solid QA input, and remember to "have fun & do your best"! :-D Sounds like a fun project y'all get to work on!

Important Note:

Please, please be extra careful with any balance changes! With the exception of Might & Holds still needing a fix (and the divide created by Crippling Challenge's and NttG's adv. pt. costs) a lot of the powers are actually quite balanced as of late, speaking about overall. Sledgehammering stuff with the nerf bat (which has happened so often in our history), overdoing it until it's a uniform gray paste, makes things very boring and legitmately angers loyal customers. More entropy, more options to make successful theme builds is vital in this game, even more so now that there is truly Free For All access to "Freeform Slots" (if people want to invest the time & effort that is).
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The moon base/stage/end game zone and Mechanon sound really cool but...

I counted 3 questions for vehicles and powers, and not one small notion toward region banned players and the report spam function in the entire list. This is very disappointing and hurtful.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • solomonk1ngsolomonk1ng Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Could you tell us why you've left Emanation Points off the Field Reports! This question was asked about 5 times in the Ask Cryptic?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Echoing forunetfire, it was very disappointing that you didn't throw us at least some kind of bone in re: the region ban. Even something like, "We're looking into that, and hope to make progress soon," while still totally uninformative, would be preferable to feeling that it's being swept under the rug in the hopes that the new shinies will distract everyone from that issue.

Some of us, while giving you (the corporate you here, not you in particular, TT - pretty sure you have no say in the matter) the benefit of the doubt, will not let the Missing simply be forgotten...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Echoing forunetfire, it was very disappointing that you didn't throw us at least some kind of bone in re: the region ban. Even something like, "We're looking into that, and hope to make progress soon," while still totally uninformative, would be preferable to feeling that it's being swept under the rug in the hopes that the new shinies will distract everyone from that issue.

Some of us, while giving you (the corporate you here, not you in particular, TT - pretty sure you have no say in the matter) the benefit of the doubt, will not let the Missing simply be forgotten...

I agree... Actually I think that was actually one of my many questions. If not in letter explicity, then in spirit.

I'm also hopeful about the new shiny stuff :-D
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am one for not allowing dueling in the RP instances, but if you could personally turn off duelling I could like that. The only annoyance would come when people Duel around others. Though I wouldn't exspect it much, greif love to grief and allowing duels will reinforce that.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    rokurocaris
    #1. What are your plans to make the lost crafting- and gear-related costume pieces available again?
    Also including costume pieces from Grab Bags and this one!

#3. There are still quite a few weapons on display in the Hideouts that aren't available as actual weapon skins. Any chance that they will be made available for players?

As to both of these questions - look for them to appear in the Drifter Store, or as in-game rewards soon. We?ve got a list, and just need to find the best place for them..

Just to draw some attention to a suggestion I've made in regards to this.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=160411
    edited August 2012
    bwdares wrote: »
    I am one for not allowing dueling in the RP instances, but if you could personally turn off duelling I could like that.

Erm, please read my post on page 1? You can already turn off dueling, under the whitelisting options.

(don't ever turn of PMs and team invites though... that actually exiles you from the community, even people who can or want to help you)

If all you do is RP, then you should disable dueling entirely.

You all are telling me you've never combined RP & dueling for fun? (not talking about trolling/griefing, I mean planned/arranged stuff) It's actually quite entertaining. :-)
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Erm, please read my post on page 1? You can already turn off dueling, under the whitelisting options.

(don't ever turn of PMs and team invites though... that actually exiles you from the community, even people who can or want to help you)

If all you do is RP, then you should disable dueling entirely.

You all are telling me you've never combined RP & dueling for fun? (not talking about trolling/griefing, I mean planned/arranged stuff) It's actually quite entertaining. :-)

Turning off dueling doesn't prevent players from using duels to grief roleplayers, there are many abilities that effect the environment such as smoke bombs which have been used in the past to case problems. I believe that is what he is getting at.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You lot still havent answered the region ban question...utterly shameful.

No funny remark this time I am totally disgusted.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have the feeling Vehicles will become now the new FotM to replace Alerts. I'm really
    totally not interested in that stuff, and really concerned if i read that they will create
    whole Zones only for Vehicles, while we starve for regular Zones for years.

I think people wanted Vehicles as TPs, and not that what we get now, and i really thik
    Cryptic shouldn't spend so much time on this whole become device stuff.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Vehicles will definitely become the new FotM in both the c-store and the q-store. From what was said in the Ask Cryptic they will just be over glorified become devices.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We are not planning any full scale reviews at this point, but we will be making adjustments and touching up powers as the need arises. We will also be adding powers as we find new places for interesting effects and unique ideas themed around new content.

This is very disappointing, there are lots of sets that really need some special attention.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hooray for answering one person's question twice!

"Will there be any new power sets coming out anytime soon. There is still a large list, plus a number of current power sets still need fleshing out."

A) Yes! Special new gadget powers and a big upgrade to Stealth mechanics are set to debut very soon, inspired by Nighthawk, a stealthy and mysterious vigilante!

B) In the near future we are not planning any completely-new power sets, but periodically we will be adding new powers as we see opportunities to flesh out sets or do something cool and interesting. For example, check out the all-new gadget powers themed around Nighthawk coming very soon!

The second answer is the only one that really answered the question but, next time can whoever is answering these questions focus more on relaying pertinent information and less on advertising stuff we already know about? There's an entire article devoted to the Nighthawk update so why waste everyone's time trying to pitch it to us like this?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited August 2012
    I am going to say this and I may be justifiably shot down for it by some other forumites for this statement because yes it is wrong to tell people what to think or write , but I am going to say it anyway. Who cares about stupid cars.

The ONLY thing we should have asked about and the ONLY thing we should be talking about here is the pressing issue of region bans.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Nepht you'll have an easier time getting that question properly answered if you ask whilst beating your head into a wall.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited August 2012
    Nepht you'll have an easier time getting that question properly answered if you ask whilst beating your head into a wall.

Sadly sometimes I feel that is the case :/

But I really dont understand the problem PWE has I am not asking for a review of PWE business practice as if one player could do that in the first place. All I am asking and many others are is for Cryptic/PWE to stop dragging this issue out and stop dangling the sword of Damocles over these players, just tell them will they be barred from the actual game or not.

They have supported Cryptic and CO during the tough times and they deserve at least this simple niceness, just out of respect. They need to know if they are wasting their time or not.
  • cryzzspamcryzzspam Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    They have supported Cryptic and CO during the tough times and they deserve at least this simple niceness, just out of respect. They need to know if they are wasting their time or not.

If they were not getting banned someone would say so. Silence means they are getting banned, but players wasting their time means money for PWE until they actually get banned. So why tell them now when you can still squeeze some cash out of them?

I may sound cynical, but I have seen this behavior from MMO companies before. The question is when Neverwinter is in full swing, will Champions ever see real support again? Maybe not, champions is on the bottom of the list right now.
    edited August 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I am going to say this and I may be justifiably shot down for it by some other forumites for this statement because yes it is wrong to tell people what to think or write , but I am going to say it anyway. Who cares about stupid cars.

Hey .. i'm in the same boat with you here. I especially don't care about all these become crap.
    I want to play my hero and not a lifeless object with powers i have not selected for my hero.

Really wonder who had that glorious idea to make from a request of a TP such a big thing.

Now next we can wait that they create "become wallcrawler" device and create a whole zone
    where you can only uses these devices to crawl at walls .. lol :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well I read it and left a comment but to cut a long story short this ask Cryptic was totaly depressing.
    Vehicles sound like they will end up like the nemesis system or hideouts great ideas that never get finished but like hideouts will be used to take more money off the players.

Now new content i.e. zones yet but soon so that will be never.

Totally ignoring the chat ban system and the region ban well that just shows Cryptic does not care about the players and their concerns.

I'm going silver until I find another game my poor old PC can handle that I can spend my money on that.

This was one of the best games I have found but you can only do the same stuff over and over before you have to move on.
    Read the ask cryptic,from what I gathered off of the questions,EVERY hero is doing to have a vehicle,or it sounded like it at least,what about the speedsters and supersonic flyers and energy riders?....I see a simple solution to this,make the TPs a special version of vehicles for the ones who dont need a vehicle,just add a speed boost to them.
  • majestylordmajestylord Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    eyy guys please help me.i created the character in champions online when its about to start the game it stop loading an it says error.the error id is 14196834.I reinstalled the game but it doesnt work .please help me!!!
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    eyy guys please help me.i created the character in champions online when its about to start the game it stop loading an it says error.the error id is 14196834.I reinstalled the game but it doesnt work .please help me!!!

This is really not the place you can expect to get help with that. I don't think any player knows what that error means, I certainly do not. Your best bet is to contact costumer support.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow. Answered mine first. Nice.

Now, I wish they'd quit tiptoeing around the chat ban feature.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I counted 3 questions for vehicles and powers, and not one small notion toward region banned players and the report spam function in the entire list. This is very disappointing and hurtful.

^Pretty much the reason I haven't even bothered to post here till now.

Saw the lack of answers for our REAL...
    The Champions team has gone through some of your most pressing questions, and they've returned with answers!

...and figured, what tha hell. No point on even commenting on it, then I went back to playing TSW...

Don't get me wrong, lots of cool stuff mentioned that could possibly (maaaybe) happen in the game. But a lot of that is pointless if the company doesn't care enough about its costumers to keep them after they've shown their loyal support or remove griefing tools from their system.
    This is very disappointing and hurtful.
    ...Totally ignoring the chat ban system ... well that just shows Cryptic does not care about the players and their concerns...
    ...Now, I wish they'd quit tiptoeing around the chat ban feature.
    That's because they've already made the decision on the issue :cool:
    Now the "region ban" issue hasn't been addressed yet :wink:
    I'd suggest focusing on that instead, as obviously the "chat ban" issue is dead in the water :frown:
    Wow, i can't believe there wasn't anything else of import enough in the "ask cryptic" to comment on :mad:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • mavryckemavrycke Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    'm very sad that you guys have chosen to add back in removed costumes and items via the drifter. It's utterly shameless that you've tied this to a grab bag.

i sincerrely hope that this will be permanent items in the drifter store...or extremely cheap.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah.. I'm sort of feeling the difference.. kind of missing Robobobobobobo :(

I'm also kind of sad (and upset) that the full reveiws were abolished before it could even make a full rotation. Celestial has needed some work and we were on the cusp of finally seeing some support solidification and some new things in the long ignored support part of the game. I mean, seriously, look at Telepathy or even Sorcery (though it's a little better now with the tweaked auras) and now we have NO clue when Celestial will even be touched. The good news is that Telepathy has some changes coming, though when is COMPLETELY up in the air.
    It's all so uncertain, beyond vehicles, we have NO idea what to look forward to next. This year has been about a lot of big gaming changes and revamps but I see few mentions about new zone content besides "eventually." I don't know.. I guess I've just been left a little unsettled and needed to vent... The vehicles will be something huge though and I can't wait to see everything unfold.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • cyberruckcyberruck Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    also why no questions on how cyptic is going to revive pvp.
    I mean I'm not even a pvper and I do it from time to time and I miss hero games.
    All cyptic needs to do is give it awards maybe you can even gain questionite form pvp.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    cyberruck wrote: »
    All cyptic needs to do is give it awards maybe you can even gain questionite form pvp.

^ Would help A LOT. I know it'd get me playing again, which I really just avoid because of how dead I hear it is..

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
    edited August 2012

What happens is that people don't understand that you can whitelist dueling (I did this for my healer so people won't challenger her and she can rez in peace), ignore trolls in-game, and just remember this simple rule of internet culture: don't feed the trolls (with negative attention).

I don't think you've ever had people duel each other around you as a way of griefing have you?

No?

It's happened to me a lot.

Whitlisting doesn't stop this, at all.

In fact I look forward to some combination/blended RP+PvP custom areas. Sounds awesome really. And Club Caprice can stay happily PvP disabled, as always. Everybody wins (except for those few that feel they are entitled to own that space right?)

PvE, PvP, RP (or E-RP for that matter). Everybody should feel welcome to play any or all of those aspects.
    If everyone behaved themselves, sure.

But grief happy %%$#@ are all over the place and they -love- rp locations.

You can't duel in Caprice because these people couldn't contain themselves. End of story.
    Better to unite community rather than divide & segregate into little cliques and inner-circles. (and yes, you will always have those few bad apples one in awhile).

I would like to see all three recognized by the developers, even though I would argue that PvE is the foundation, each brings something good to the community. And most people in-game I know dabble in all three to some extent.

I agree PvE is the core of the game, it's reason for being.

PvP and RP are sideshows. One sideshow has gotten a lot of dev time [PvP] over the years and continually causes difficulties for the PvE section [not that they mean to, but since powers don't come in PvE and PvP version they can't really help it]

The other sideshow hasn't; We can't even get the f-ing emotes was ask for much less new RP locations except where they can be dual purposed as part of missions.

The fact that no one thought about the impact of removing the training areas kind of showed how little this mattered to them. Here's hoping the new boss actually cares about the RP community.

The last thing we need is a NEW reason for the Rp and PvP communities to not get along.

And I think both communities do bring something good to the game and it's one word.

Re-playability.

There's no way the Devs can make content as fast as we can play through it. Even if they gave us the mythical CO foundry, even the player base couldn't manage it.

What PvP and RP do is give us a way to reuse all the cool stuff in CO.

The main difference is how much those two communities affect Dev time. *

PvP requires tons of Dev attention, almost as much as PvE does, since no one is or ever will be happy with PvP balance. [Not the Devs fault, this is true of every PvP enabled game under the sun, even when everyone has exactly the same set of tools]

RP, in theory, needs far less Dev time.

Powers only really effect us when were doing PvE or PvP, unless its requests for more 'neat things' like color or variations, and these are shared by PVE and PvP for similar reasons. RP mainly wants things like, emotes and new places to RP.

Now you can argue that these take 'as much' Dev time but I seriously doubt it. For one, the testing of an emote or a new room can't be that intensive, and certainly wouldn't have to go through iterations. There's no 'balance issue' with The Minefield except in Dev time.

You'd think the RP crowd would be an easier group to cater too but the PvP crowd gets most of the Dev time between the two and for little PvP crowd satisfaction it seems.

*On a side note, there is this odd 'jocks' vs 'nerds' feel in the tension between the PvP and Rp communities, despite several prominent members of both who are a part of both. And it's not like you can grief PvP people [Ignore works much better on them] so it's pretty one sided bully behavior. And I'm not all that sure Duel griefers should be considered PvP people anyway, core PvP people don't seem to bother. Maybe it's just looser pvp people that need someone to pick on to make themselves feel better? I dunno..

In game as @forgemccain
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    One sideshow has gotten a lot of dev time [PvP] over the years and continually causes difficulties for the PvE section [not that they mean to, but since powers don't come in PvE and PvP version they can't really help it]

The other sideshow hasn't; We can't even get the f-ing emotes was ask for much less new RP locations except where they can be dual purposed as part of missions.

Hmm, I (a PvEer) have seen more put into RP than into PvP.

Social instances.

Removal of PvPable locations (if a company is actively reducing the options for PvP in favor of RP its a pretty solid indication that PvP is less of a priority)

Hide-outs.

etc.

Zombie Apocalypse (played as much or more for its PvE aspect than for PvP)

King of the Hill (hard to count this since it was not implemented for PvPers)

The CO team balances powers for PvE. There has been an exception or two, but any balance/nerf/buff that we have seen, has had PvE as its core justification.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited August 2012
    I
    You can't duel in Caprice because these people couldn't contain themselves. End of story.

1. I wasn't talking about changing Caprice, and I would oppose that change.

2. I conceed you make a solid point. *sigh* Very well...

I agree PvE is the core of the game, its reason for being.

PvP and RP are sideshows. One sideshow has gotten a lot of dev time [PvP] over the years and continually causes difficulties for the PvE section [not that they mean to, but since powers don't come in PvE and PvP version they can't really help it]

Yeah new emotes that are not failure 1980's dance moves lol!

I agree, RP is a sideshow that needs more attention. And I'm glad you agree with me that PvE is the foundation.
    Here's hoping the new boss actually cares about the RP community.

Aye!
    The last thing we need is a NEW reason for the Rp and PvP communities to not get along.

o_O Such as? This has not been my observation.

And I think both communities do bring something good to the game and it's one word.

Re-playability

There's no way the Devs can make content as fast as we can play through it. [...]

What PvP and RP do is give us a way to reuse all the cool stuff in CO.

PvP requires tons of Dev attention, almost as much as PvE does, since no one is or ever will be happy with PvP balance.

QFT!!! VERY WELL SAID!

Many of the over-nerfing-of-stuff-until-it-sucks ARE the results of people (mostly noobs, not experts) complaining over PvP "imbalance" or "OP".

Including Might stuff recently, but ranging back to teleportation getting a cooldown, and holds being nerfed into uselessness. That said, Vixy's suggestion to fix BCR /w RR by adding an internal cooldown was needed.
  • spacecatlivesspacecatlives Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    I have the feeling Vehicles will become now the new FotM to replace Alerts. I'm really
    totally not interested in that stuff, and really concerned if i read that they will create
    whole Zones only for Vehicles, while we starve for regular Zones for years.

I am kind of here myself. I was very disappointed with the Ask Cryptic and the Until Report. New zones and new comic series were what I was looking for. I realize that takes a lot of development time and resources. But Cryptic's money making model seems to be focused on something else in the short and medium term. That's ok if that is the only way to make money. It's just not the game I am looking for. Not rage quitting. Just considering my options now that I see what is on the schedule. As a gold player, even the discount subscription rate is not an incentive. Pay less to play what I have already played a dozen times? Well, we'll see what happens. Maybe they will surprise us with the new stuff.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah new emotes that are not failure 1980's dance moves lol!

If its me, really i would vote for removal of all dance emotes. Or at least kick anybody
    from the game who annoys me with that stupid spastical convulsions for longer than 10 seconds :mad:

It really drives me crazy after a while :redface:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Was your question one of the many that were answered?

Later in the fall, when the full Vehicle system debuts we?ll launch some very cool Vehicle-only PVE maps as well - things like dog fights in the sky vs. waves of enemy attacks, or assaults where vehicles target a large target or horde.

Of course not, but I'm used to it by now. :frown:

I'm a bit concerned about how this will be received by the playerbase. There are a lot of players that already profess to hating Lemuria with its 3D combat (not me, I dig it). I just hope when the time comes, you follow though with it as half-finished systems has historically been one of Cryptic's failings.

Bring it, I say! :biggrin:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Look forward to seeing what GMC is planning...

I had that feeling once, then On Alert came to pass.
    edited August 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Hmm, I (a PvEer) have seen more put into RP than into PvP.

Social instances.

Removal of PvPable locations (if a company is actively reducing the options for PvP in favor of RP its a pretty solid indication that PvP is less of a priority)

Hide-outs.

etc.

The only places that have had PvP removed is where Duel grief has necessitated it. I'm arguing that enabling duels in the 'new' and new RP locations will eventually lead to the grief and then to the ban, lets save us the middle man and band it now.

And the amount of Dev time spent on PvP far outweighs that spend on RP. As for Rp locations, Hideouts and the Theater [go on, name me another] only the hideouts cold really be considered RP locations.

Zombie Apocalypse (played as much or more for its PvE aspect than for PvP)

King of the Hill (hard to count this since it was not implemented for PvPers)

I hate to tell you, that's PvP content, pure and simple.
    The CO team balances powers for PvE. There has been an exception or two, but any balance/nerf/buff that we have seen, has had PvE as its core justification.

>.> what game are you playing? Or are you just new here?

I'm not trying to pull your leg, really. Most power adjustments, tweaks are PvP related and it happens a lot. It's a constant game of fighting with the wife over the thermostat 'I'm too hot, I'm too cold". Poor bastards.

In game as @forgemccain
    edited August 2012

o_O Such as? This has not been my observation.

Duel grief in the shinny new and returned rp locations would be a new source of tension. One that is all but a memory now that Caprice is duel free.

I mean, just like in Caprice on will be able to 'take it outside' in mere moments to do the fight and get back to RP if that's how one wants to do it. I've done that before and anyone who was involved with the RP that started the fight and wanted to watch/participate went with, and then we scooted back in all done.

In game as @forgemccain
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't think we'll get many duel griefs in the new locations. We may see some, particularly (and unfortunately) during large events, but people who want to grief RPers usually go to Caprice. Duels are enabled in Sherrera's and the Minefield and I've rarely seen them there. Though dedicated griefers will work for it -- I saw the Toxic Waste Avengers/Time Squad griefer SG once go after RPers in Carl's, of all places.

As for whether RPers or PvPers have gotten the shorter end of the stick; that's probably not a debate that needs to happen. Both are served in different ways by the devs. Every time a piece of story or a new environment (especially Hideouts) or a costume set is added to the game, you're indirectly serving the RP community by expanding their options. Every time you rebalance powers, you're serving the PVP community, though many might argue that you're not doing so effectively. :D I'm sure the free-for-alls and the vehicle PVP maps will be appreciated by PvPrs, and the new RP locations will be enjoyed by the RP community, though as an RPer, I'd like moar emotes for basic functions (eating, drinking, sleeping).
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    edited August 2012
    I don't think we'll get many duel griefs in the new locations. We may see some, particularly (and unfortunately) during large events, but people who want to grief RPers usually go to Caprice. Duels are enabled in Sherrera's and the Minefield and I've rarely seen them there. Though dedicated griefers will work for it -- I saw the Toxic Waste Avengers/Time Squad griefer SG once go after RPers in Carl's, of all places.

See.. now you've done it ^_^"

I wasn't going to mention this, last thing i need is the grief clowns to know that they can duel spam us in those places. Frankly you could allow dueling in all rp locations, but as soon as an RP loc is popular and the grief hats know they can duel there, we're boned.

In the balance, I'd rather have the places duel free. In the balance that's more than a worthwhile trade off for having to go outside for an RP duel.

In game as @forgemccain
    edited August 2012
    As for whether RPers or PvPers have gotten the shorter end of the stick; that's probably not a debate that needs to happen. Both are served in different ways by the devs. Every time a piece of story or a new environment (especially Hideouts) or a costume set is added to the game, you're indirectly serving the RP community by expanding their options. Every time you rebalance powers, you're serving the PVP community, though many might argue that you're not doing so effectively. :D I'm sure the free-for-alls and the vehicle PVP maps will be appreciated by PvPrs, and the new RP locations will be enjoyed by the RP community, though as an RPer, I'd like moar emotes for basic functions (eating, drinking, sleeping).

You've got a good point there. I was trying to compare content that was directly intended for either PvP or RP. Because it can get very murky if you go with dual purpose items like costumes or new powers.

Even hideouts are tough to call as RP content. Given that the Devs made pains to not develop more hideouts that could be used more as RP locations than strictly 'hideouts' I'd say it wasn't intended as RP content but decidedly benefited the RP community most.

Even counting hideouts, I think PvP wins hands down.

Sad really, the RP community would be far easier to please and a lot of game issues are gleefully overlooked by RPers if we're served well otherwise. Lets face it we're not usually as worried about balance issues even for PvE content as long as it's doable. Or, gleefully embraced as some costume glitches are, but see above about dual use items.

As an RPer myself [as if you hadn't guessed] I'd rather have more locations than emotes. I can type out an emote it's a little harder to find places that fit a scene well, or even terribly close. But emotes would be nice, and don't get me started on emotes and locations that already exist in game but the Devs refuse to let us have for some godawful reason.

In game as @forgemccain
    edited August 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    If its me, really i would vote for removal of all dance emotes. Or at least kick anybody from the game who annoys me with that stupid spastical convulsions for longer than 10 seconds :mad:

It really drives me crazy after a while :redface:

Ah... Well good to know what your pet peeve is, in case I ever need to get back at you.

>:-3

Whoa! I missed this earlier somehow. No, sorry, this is blatantly FALSE. It's the other way around in fact, historically. Did you just mistype this by mistake?

Often it seem people (mostly people who are not highly experienced with PvP in Champions) rage on the forums that something is overpowered (because it's been resulting in blowout victories & defeats) for PvP, and it typically gets nerfed a month later.

Examples?

* Teleport going from no cooldown to this whole "phase sickness" thing. It doesn't matter for PvE, this was added because people abused this loophole in PvP.

* Ego Storm and Binding of Aratron nerfs. They got a crippling nerf with other holds all because of complaints in PvP Zombie Apocalypse.

* Enrage & AoPM nerfs. The so called "rage of primal majesty" PvP builds cause both of these to get sledge hammered with the nerfbat

* Gigabolt's 8 second lockout on charging, added as the result of uber-zap PvP stuff. Ended up hurting Tempest AT sales though...

* Sigils of the Primal Storm getting critical removed. What was happening was people would use Imbue (which at that time scaled with CON only) then summon the rank 3 sigils. This created a deadly area of denial, making melee characters at an extreme disadvantage in PvP combat. (hard to attack with melee attacks when simply being in that area means you're getting hit with 100% criticals)

I can keep going with examples, or perhaps somebody else can chime in here with examples?
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The only places that have had PvP removed is where Duel grief has necessitated it. I'm arguing that enabling duels in the 'new' and new RP locations will eventually lead to the grief and then to the ban, lets save us the middle man and band it now.

And the amount of Dev time spent on PvP far outweighs that spend on RP. As for Rp locations, Hideouts and the Theater [go on, name me another] only the hideouts cold really be considered RP locations.

I hate to tell you, that's PvP content, pure and simple.

Not anywhere as simple as you might think. A map designed to allow there to be no PvP if the participants so desire, and in fact in which the rewards can be greater without it, is not purely and simply a pvp map.

A map which the PvP community said, "dont do this, it is bad, will not be played," and so on may technically have been dev effort put into a PvP map, but provides essentially zero benefit for PvP and so is difficult to count. If something provides no PvP, it seems silly to put it on the PvP side of the scale when balancing things.

>.> what game are you playing? Or are you just new here?

I'm not trying to pull your leg, really. Most power adjustments, tweaks are PvP related and it happens a lot. It's a constant game of fighting with the wife over the thermostat 'I'm too hot, I'm too cold". Poor bastards.

Perhaps you are thinking of other games where this might be the case. It has not been in CO.

Been here since before launch. Been an active participant on the forums and PTS the entire time. Power adjustments in CO have always been PVE oriented with only a very few exceptions. This has been confirmed by the devs.

Teleport: Altered in a, failed, attempt to make it less possible to bypass lesser mobs in PvE content.

WTK: Specifically mentioned as nerfed (fixed) because one of the powers ddevs at the time used it in Nemcon and found it to be OP.

Taser Arrow: Again mentioned as being fixed due to its ability to permahold mobs in PVE

Uppercut: Was broken. This is one of the few exceptions, and even it cannot be listed as a PvP power change since the power was actually bugged and was only changed in the sense that the bug was fixed.

Quular pistol: Its impact on PvP was completely ignored, but was fixed within days when used to break a holiday event in PvE.

Swallowtail Cut: Specifically mentioned as being fixed after guides to using it for MV farming in PvE proliferated on the forums.

Melee pass: entirely due to complaints about the performance of melee, compared to ranged, in PvE.

Pet Pass: entirely due to complaints about the performance of pets in PvE. This pass in particular was an anti-PvP effort as it negatively affected PvP.

and on and on and on.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.