test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Viilain Contest Apology

ultracandy8544ultracandy8544 Posts: 4 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
To any and all players of Champions Online who submitted a character in the Create Your Own Villain contest in May, I fully and completely apologize for my characters winning. I did create Freons image from scratch but as a joke, I also had no idea Freon was already taken. I mean he's a refrigerator. It was a joke entry and I apologize to the runners up because I honestly believe one of you should have won.

To those who complained about the data that should have been sent with the picture I honestly could not figure out how to do that. I think I literally made those entries on one of the last days you could submit them. I apologize for my lack of technical skill in computers and in Champions Online.

The reason I was away from the game for so long was primarily due to college and working third shift during the semesters and getting ludicrous amounts of overtime in between to pay bills, I literally forgot I had an account due to my work increase. Then personal problems happened and well, I just couldn't find the time to play, but since I have a lifetime account It didn't seem to matter. Also I think I originally complained about Champions when they dropped their day one patch that made almost every build unplayable, which since then has been fixed.

Then a week after I made my villain submissions my computer decided to die and until recently I didn't have funds for a new one. Now that I have a working computer and have some free time I am trying to get back into Champions Online, but with so many game options I will have to wait and see.

But with all honesty and sincerity I am sorry about me winning the Create a Villain Contest. I honestly had no idea anyone would have given my characters a second thought. And perhaps in the future if they hold a similar competition they will create a player voting option where we the players can choose the addition.

I honestly hop you can accept my apology,
sincerely, Fryguy8544 (or ultracandy8544, or quantumjesus I don't know which since I merged my account, which ever shows up as the poster.)
Post edited by ultracandy8544 on

Comments

• ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You have nothing to apologize for.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • tomquantumtomquantum Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't understand what you are apologizing for. You didn't pick the winners, and you had as much right to submit your entries as the rest of us.

Also, you were not the only one to make less-than-serious or "joke" submissions. That wasn't against the rules.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Fry, you entered a contest and while some of us may not care for your entries, that's nothing to apologize for. You had as much right as anyone to submit them. I sincerely hope that you haven't been harassed for this.

Anyhow, I chuckled earlier when I saw Huggernaut in game, and hope you have a good time. Take care and thanks for posting. And when the Rampage with your characters comes up, enjoy it.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey like I told ya, nothing to apologize for. If there's one thing we've learned in this game, it's that you can't get a dozen players together that can agree on what a character should look like. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You my friend, have some strong integrity (not to mention huge cojones) to come on here and apologize for something out of your control, as well as admitting your mistake. I don't think I have enough kudos to give you. Add me in-game whenever you get the chance, I'll help you with anything.

As for the obvious matter, my god. I can only imagine how embarrassed (and if it was me, ashamed) everyone involved with the judging for this contest is right now. Choosing a joke submission, never mind the fact that didn't follow the rules? It's a good thing they said they might do another round... right? :wink:

Allow me a moment of vanity to notion future Cryptic judges to my guide to hosting and judging CCs (link in sig)? I promise you, it will help.

Though there is the matter of the text being screwed up due to the account merger...

...I'll brb.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • ectooneectoone Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Why are you apologizing? You haven't done anything wrong, you submitted an entry and you won. There is no fault on your end, sure you may not have followed the rules of the competition in terms of submission, but you didn't ask to win. Cryptic just happened to choose your entry, there's no ifs or buts about it. You had just as much right as anyone else. So don't apologize for something that you haven't done, your not in the wrong here.
  • ultracandy8544ultracandy8544 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To be honest I think the selling point for my characters to the judges was just the bare bones of their back stories. I couldn't describe anything super in-depth with the limited space for story for either one so I created a base for which Champions can build on. "Freon" (most likely name being changed) is a guy who through an unfortunate accident goes evil, Cryptic could easily elaborate what ever they want on the character, like he was sort of a jerk when not on the job and the magic used in the accident amplified it. And Kenina Blaze is just some pyromaniac who they could just make burn everything, even to the point of where she could turn against Dr. Destroyer because her desire to burn things and watch the flames dance would be greater than any loyalty she would have to him. They can literally write anything. For all I know "Freon" and Kenina Blaze could be teaming up to the freeze half the world and burn the other half, or their goals could clash and there could be a big fight with both villains slugging it out.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Said it before said will say it again even though I think the flame girl was a bit meh I thought your fridge monster was genius. I mean a fridge monster its not even out yet and its already made me grin like a nutcase . Well met sir \o/

Sorry for being brutally honest in my opinion about the fiery one , but again thats just my opinion. But yeah the Fridge monster does need a name change :D

Just think of the comedy if the narrator screams out THE FRIDGE ALERT!! Can you see the magic happening >:D

I think what most people got pissed at was 2 things wasn't submitted right and the freon name in game your not allowed to use names of current Champions characters its sorta in the TOS.

But if we are going to point fingers it should be at Cryptic for not following their own rules. None of that is your fault so dont say sorry man. DEFEND YOUR VILLAINS \o/

I would have picked the fridge monster as a winner and its good to have the chance to say gratz man :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey like I told ya, nothing to apologize for. If there's one thing we've learned in this game, it's that you can't get a dozen players together that can agree on what a character should look like. :biggrin:

A dozen players? Sometimes you're lucky to get 2 people to decide on a design.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Props to the OP. Because of you, Cryptic still can continue their line of jokes in this game.
    It's nothing to apology.
    Jokes on you Cryptic.

And make them name the villain as Mr. Cool Ice.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, if there's need for someone to apologize it should be the people who threw an angry fit in your direction one or multiple times. So I'll start here:

Sorry for mocking you and your entries. The surprise that they won and your absence from the game and forums made me say nasty things and even more nasty speculations. I'm sorry you're not to blame in all of this.

Hope to see you in-game some day and Kenina Blaze and 'However-he's-gonna be-named' also.

Peace, KK.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ****. That.

You won man, doesn't matter who or what or why, you're submissions were, regardless of intent, the best.

Deal with it. :biggrin:

What do these things look like anyway? I can't see the pics.
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Theres no reason for an aoplogy,your submission was best out of the others,and it certainly wasnt the only joke submission,they were the best out of the bunch and got chosen,theres no reason to apologize for that.Hope to see you in game,aswell as the new additions to the alerts,by the way,are there any photos of these villains,I havent seen em yet.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The community isn't mad at you. Its never mad at the individual player.

Cryptic took the easy route in picking contest winners (the latest submissions to the contest and the simplest ones they could find). So its no wonder a joke submission would win entirely because it was simple no brainer to put in the game.

On top of this, you helped successfully prove that Cryptic can't be bothered to make changes to a initial design presented before them or change it part way if its bad.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Seriously, aside from the name, I love your character.

Fridge brilliance! :biggrin:
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Aw, man. No need to apologize. :)
    edited August 2012
    >_> to be honest I would hate to win the next round..I have a fear of angry mobs with fire and pitchforks.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited August 2012
    To any and all players of Champions Online who submitted a character in the Create Your Own Villain contest in May, I fully and completely apologize for my characters winning. I did create Freons image from scratch but as a joke, I also had no idea Freon was already taken. I mean he's a refrigerator. It was a joke entry and I apologize to the runners up because I honestly believe one of you should have won.

To those who complained about the data that should have been sent with the picture I honestly could not figure out how to do that. I think I literally made those entries on one of the last days you could submit them. I apologize for my lack of technical skill in computers and in Champions Online.

The reason I was away from the game for so long was primarily due to college and working third shift during the semesters and getting ludicrous amounts of overtime in between to pay bills, I literally forgot I had an account due to my work increase. Then personal problems happened and well, I just couldn't find the time to play, but since I have a lifetime account It didn't seem to matter. Also I think I originally complained about Champions when they dropped their day one patch that made almost every build unplayable, which since then has been fixed.

Then a week after I made my villain submissions my computer decided to die and until recently I didn't have funds for a new one. Now that I have a working computer and have some free time I am trying to get back into Champions Online, but with so many game options I will have to wait and see.

But with all honesty and sincerity I am sorry about me winning the Create a Villain Contest. I honestly had no idea anyone would have given my characters a second thought. And perhaps in the future if they hold a similar competition they will create a player voting option where we the players can choose the addition.

I honestly hop you can accept my apology,
    sincerely, Fryguy8544 (or ultracandy8544, or quantumjesus I don't know which since I merged my account, which ever shows up as the poster.)

If I may ask, did you write to the devs about renaming Freon? If yes how is he called now?
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What wins wins. We all threw our ideas in both serious and comedic. The Judges chose what they chose and thats all out of our hands. And really unless it was a fan-vote thing then thats the way it should be.

Don't worry about it and ignore any complainers, Haters Gonna Hate and all that.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow! What a sore winner!! :tongue: Really, why come on the forums and apologize for something like this? It's a contest. There are judges. They pick the winners. If people have a hard time accepting their entry lost that's on them. I haven't even paid much attention to the contest or your winning entries, honestly, so I'm speaking as an unbiased player. Enjoy your win! Brag when you see them pop up on the Alert queue. You deserve it!
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If I may ask, did you write to the devs about renaming Freon? If yes how is he called now?

You're STILL going on about that?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    How about "Free Awn"?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited August 2012

But thats main issue people have ..theres already a Freon.

C'mon Freon 2 sounds lame.

I personally would call him Mr Toasty.
    edited August 2012
    heroshima1 wrote: »
    Wow! What a sore winner!! :tongue: Really, why come on the forums and apologize for something like this? It's a contest. There are judges. They pick the winners. If people have a hard time accepting their entry lost that's on them. I haven't even paid much attention to the contest or your winning entries, honestly, so I'm speaking as an unbiased player. Enjoy your win! Brag when you see them pop up on the Alert queue. You deserve it!

Yeah agreed that took some bawls.
    edited August 2012

I do want to know, yes.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    How about "Free Awn"?

Or Fr30n ? :tongue:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like someone's suggestion of "Frigid Air"...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    I like someone's suggestion of "Frigid Air"...
    But then Kenina should be renamed to "Radar Range"...
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ... wait, this villain is based off a refrigerator?!

OP, man, that was a stroke of Python-esque genius.
    edited August 2012
    I mean I guess I could have made it sillier. Like instead of a refrigerator repair man it could have been a plumber who got fused with a toilet. Dr. Destroyer could promise to change him back if he became his minion. His super name could have been Peon.
    edited August 2012
    I mean I guess I could have made it sillier. Like instead of a refrigerator repair man it could have been a plumber who got fused with a toilet. Dr. Destroyer could promise to change him back if he became his minion. His super name could have been Peon.

Sir I salute your genius o.o<
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I just think its cool that you felt the need to apologize at all.

Joke entry or not, as often as I run into afk leechers who feel entitled in getting a free ride in these alerts, someone apologizing for winning is a nice change.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    I just think its cool that you felt the need to apologize at all.

Joke entry or not, as often as I run into afk leechers who feel entitled in getting a free ride in these alerts, someone apologizing for winning is a nice change.

I dunno, I mean, I don't mind that he explained the logic behind his entry, so then people can make sense of it instead of assume that it's just some troll entry or whatever.
    But he shouldn't have to apologize for winning.
    It's not like he was one of these Alert AFK leechers that you pointed out, who really are just awful. And what they are doing is kinda inherently wrong. It's lazy and selfish and exploits the gameplay of others to move themselves along.
    The OP didn't do anything wrong, though. He won. He did nothing that he should apologize for. Heck, he didn't even really need to explain squat to us, really, but he did anyways. Which is good on him.
    But apologize for winning? Sorry, dude. Hone up to it. You won. Have fun with it.
    And anyone who thinks that he needed to apologize for anything? Grow up. It's just a game. You didn't win. That happens. It's not like you lost anything concrete in this case. Have fun with it, too, and when the next contest comes along, try again, and keep having fun.
  • thesprawlerthesprawler Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just to mirror the remarks made here about not needing to apologize. If anything, it should be those that complained, myself included, that should apologize. So, welp. I apologize!

I suppose one of their incentives may have been mechanics as the alert seemed to have interesting mechanics based on the fire and ice combo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You've nothing to apologize for. It was Cryptic's decision, and that's that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
    edited November 2012
    Now if only I could get in touch with Cryptic and see if they actually use my characters, if not because of my absence, then I hope they upgrade some one else to 10 man alerts.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I accept your apology. Don't ever do that again you nasty nasty boy.
    edited November 2012
    Necromancy is Extra Heresy!
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is not that dead, really :p

Not even 30 days old dead.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
    edited November 2012
    Dont care if its a nearly dead thread Ima saying again I luved the fridge monster fantastic idea that gave me loads of reasons to post picture of fridges on the forum ( fire girl thingy not so much ditch her keep the fridge).

Dont applogise for wining. If anything Cryptic messed up when they broke their own contest rules .
  • ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    941d 15h 53m
    edited November 2012
    klitty wrote: »
    Is not that dead, really :p

Not even 30 days old dead.

From August to November is less than 30 days?

Daylight savings doesn't work that way.
    edited November 2012
    From August to November is less than 30 days?

Daylight savings doesn't work that way.

Doesnt stop yew posting.

NAUGHTY NAUGHTY MAN! :O