test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fire PvP Build Problems

captainluke85captainluke85 Posts: 8 Arc User
edited August 2012 in The Hero Games
Hi everyone. I've been trying to do some pvp with a fire spec and it doesn't seem to be working very well. Seems fire is more pve than pvp from my perspective.

The dots do extremely little damage but a required for the energy unlock. The fireball is extremely powerful but very short range.

The main problem is I'm not getting the damage through to players. I don't have any problems with my other characters but I'm at a loss on how to proceed with this one.

Any advice would help alot, thanks.
Post edited by captainluke85 on

Comments

• gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If you want to PVP with fire, just take infernal powers and color them orange/red. It works much better.
  • oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh luke, the old ZA farmer who relogged everytime he died so he wouldn't have to be a zombie... Good to see you're still a newb.
  • promnightpromnight Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    oobtree wrote: »
    Oh luke, the old ZA farmer who relogged everytime he died so he wouldn't have to be a zombie... Good to see you're still a newb.
    Full of hate.

._.

@becca_black
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    promnight wrote: »
    Full of hate.

._.

The day he ever says something constructive you call me. :rolleyes:
    Hi everyone. I've been trying to do some pvp with a fire spec and it doesn't seem to be working very well. Seems fire is more pve than pvp from my perspective.

The dots do extremely little damage but a required for the energy unlock. The fireball is extremely powerful but very short range.

The main problem is I'm not getting the damage through to players. I don't have any problems with my other characters but I'm at a loss on how to proceed with this one.

Any advice would help alot, thanks.

Look, I didn't read your post, but only by the title: Yes, Fire has enormous problems in PvP due to the ridiculously low range of the main powers and all the needed work to do decent damage. Only advice I can give is to mix it with Infernal. Cripple your opponent under debuffs like Fire Snake for immense resistance debuffs (which in parallel increases the elemental damage done on him) and then attack with Defile - More range, less charge time, more reliability.

edited August 2012
    promnight wrote: »
    Full of hate.

._.

That's me! :biggrin:
  • captainluke85captainluke85 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It's inappropriate to talk about yourself Newbtree. I never did once re-log in a ZA. You still haven't proven it because it doesn't exist and never will.

I'm not gonna re-open the problem that your SG did to people in ZA from the past because number one and I'm much bigger man than you are to move on, unlike yourself.

I have nothing more to say to you.
    edited August 2012
    Alright great I'll give it a shot with infernal. Yea I was trying to make a character that uses fire and it was pretty bad lol. Thanks alot for the advice mrf0rz1. I appreciate it.
    edited August 2012
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a fire main and it's true, Fire requires a lot of set up to pump out the damage. It takes much too much for the fast paced nature of pvp and even in pve, most mobs die before you can get to conflag. It's more of a boss damaing power set... one that stays completely still, since Conflag can't move with the target like other ranged AoEs (if I recall correctly) without the advantage. Don't get me wrong, it does do some decent damage but it does take a lot of set up...

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Back in the day the Pyre Patches and all the environmental damage was unmitigatable and much harder hitting than it is now..

Fire used to be the set you could use to control the playfield in PvP (esp small matches like the cage).

Unfortunately the patches of fire have been reduced and also their effectiveness with the reverb has sucked..

The entire set is lackluster in direct comparison, mostly because it's AoE based instead of single target. Also with the game going SO crit based this bodes additionally bad for fire whose strength is not in critical hits.
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It is hard to respect someone who claimed ZA wasn't a pvp zone.

But Luke, if you want to be "the bigger man", accept that you are far from being without fault in your own right.

When you have that mindset, and are upset that you have to pvp in a pvp zone, instead of finding counters to dealing with your opponents, you're going to struggle.

As you've come to realize fire doesn't work in pvp - for reasons forz already pointed out in the thread.

Lastly,

ZA was definitely problematic pre-alert whether it be re-loggers or suiciders but at least pre-alert people bothered to hit the q.
  • nesn00000nesn00000 Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You can still keep to a theme but think towards expanding the potential of the limited powers in the power-set to powers that do fire damage but function better in pvp. I.E using the form to buff other powers that do fire damage, I.E Explosive Sigils, Explosive Arrow with WTK advantage, so on. Ice form functions in much the same way with the added benefit of chill, which imo is still the most effective snare in the game now.

TBO doing damage and in significant levels to kill other players won’t be your issue, once you explore ALL of the options available to you. However, the real hurdle to overcome will be your survival…

Properly built AOPM tanks can out dps most offensive based builds, as well out tank most tank builds. The cost is most offensive form based builds have become all but obsolete, except for a few scattered shadow form builds. This is because they cannot stand up against the massive amounts of dps now available in the new Meta game.

My only advice to you in this area is to exploit the broken mechanics of imbue like most of the Dark Crusade SG does, since Imbue does not cancel on self heals, I.E conviction, you can at least continue to critical heal yourself. Combine this with multiple shields and active defenses you should at least have a chance. Good luck to you Sir.

-Xeno

edited August 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    It is hard to respect someone who claimed ZA wasn't a pvp zone.

But Luke, if you want to be "the bigger man", accept that you are far from being without fault in your own right.

When you have that mindset, and are upset that you have to pvp in a pvp zone, instead of finding counters to dealing with your opponents, you're going to struggle.

As you've come to realize fire doesn't work in pvp - for reasons forz already pointed out in the thread.

Lastly,

ZA was definitely problematic pre-alert whether it be re-loggers or suiciders but at least pre-alert people bothered to hit the q.

Perhaps I was somewhat at fault but the matter is over and I want it to stay that way.
    edited August 2012
    nesn00000 wrote: »
    You can still keep to a theme but think towards expanding the potential of the limited powers in the power-set to powers that do fire damage but function better in pvp. I.E using the form to buff other powers that do fire damage, I.E Explosive Sigils, Explosive Arrow with WTK advantage, so on. Ice form functions in much the same way with the added benefit of chill, which imo is still the most effective snare in the game now.

TBO doing damage and in significant levels to kill other players won?t be your issue, once you explore ALL of the options available to you. However, the real hurdle to overcome will be your survival?

Properly built AOPM tanks can out dps most offensive based builds, as well out tank most tank builds. The cost is most offensive form based builds have become all but obsolete, except for a few scattered shadow form builds. This is because they cannot stand up against the massive amounts of dps now available in the new Meta game.

My only advice to you in this area is to exploit the broken mechanics of imbue like most of the Dark Crusade SG does, since Imbue does not cancel on self heals, I.E conviction, you can at least continue to critical heal yourself. Combine this with multiple shields and active defenses you should at least have a chance. Good luck to you Sir.

-Xeno

So far I've been trying infernal and it seems very good so far. I'm gonna be trying a few new build ideas and such cause I really wanted to make this character fire related. I'm not gonna use imbue because I know about that issue. Cryptic needs to fix it ASAP. Thanks for the advice though.
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Perhaps I was somewhat at fault but the matter is over and I want it to stay that way.

Not a worry - you're still posting and not pulling a Shev.

Nesno is pretty spot on with everything as you'd expect from someone with his valuable experience.

The majority of your opponents in what does pop in HG will typically be Cascade, Ruin, or both backed by AoPM. It's a far less welcoming environment than pre-alert, and for at least me personally been far less enjoyable.

Honestly at this point, I'd recommend focusing less on "performance" and more on whatever fun factor you can extrapolate. I ended up turning 3 of my 4 40 FFs to pve as I found little purpose in running them pvp. The most fun I had in Bash Post Alert consisted of everyone throwing cones and misc at each other while Straza flew around with a car over her head looking for someone.