test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did LightSpeed's Jump get Nerfed?

lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Power Discussion
I have a character named Vim that uses the travel power Light Speed. She's L40 so in semi-retirement, and I don't use her much. One of the things I liked about using Vim (besides the groovy "Tron FX" left behind her) was how high/far she could jump when running at full speed. It was pretty impressive, almost had a "zero-G" quality to it, really. Great for jumping over the MilCen walls or jumping up onto one or two story buildings (with a running start, of course).

Then Flag Speed was released, and I created a new "patriotic"-themed toon, who went by the exceptionally creative (haha) name of Flag Speed, to use the new power.

While I love the animation, stars, fireworks, and streaming flag FX of Flag Speed, I was bummed by how little he jumped, even when running at full tilt, the "enhanced" jump is disappointing. For example, he was unable to clear the fountain in the center of the VIP Lounge when running from the Bank/Exchange area to the Vendors. I logged in as Vim to compare, and she was still able to leap said fountain in a single bound (in fact, usually jumping too far over and colliding in the wall above the top doorway mantle, unless I took effort to control her ballistic arc).

I shrugged, being happy to get the free power and not being too concerned.

However, I logged onto Vim on Saturday to get an Alert Daily done (trying to gather Q for the sale) and her Light Speed jump has been nerfed!! It's now about the same as Flag Speed... And she can't clear the VIP Lounge's fountain anymore...

Am I imagining things or was the jump nerfed? Is this intentional? Or perhaps a bug?

Can anyone else confirm this?
jIBJh7X.jpg
When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Both Lightspeed and Flag Speed are copies of Super Speed, which doesn't increase jump height at all. You will get increased jump distance, due to the increased speed, but if there's an obstacle in the way that you can't clear w/ a normal jump, you still won;t be able to get over it...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No, there's always been a hidden property of superspeed that allows for some pretty good jumps, if done right. Rank 3 allows jumps of about the same height as rank 1 acrobatics, or in that realm, if executed perfectly. I'm not sure if it's jumping so much as bouncing, but it's definitely there.

As far as whether it's been nerfed: No.
    I just jumped onto the top of a light standard yesterday using Light Speed. And saw someone else jumping much higher on a perfect bounce.

I do find you have to release the jump button immediately after pushing it to get good height.
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    to jump with superspeed just build up some speed then jump and it will be higher(depending on amount of speed) than normal.
  • ruiijiruiiji Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I used to feel the same way but could never prove it. The difference for me happened pre-alert, probably after the last whiteout release.

Good to know of someone else who feels like lightspeed now has a shorter jump height. I thought I was (and could still be) imagining things.
    My experience with the superspeed powers is that jump height seems to be very much affected by your own momentum. If you're on flat ground, the height isn't much. But if you happen to jump while on an incline, like on bumpy terrain? "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Oh-crap-I-just-passed-by-where-I-wanted-to-stop-and-here's-a-wall-*SPLAT!*"

Okay, slight exaggeration, but I tend to go much higher and farther when I do that.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Rapidly push the jump button. I find if I'm going full tilt a single jump isn't very good but if I mash the jump button I can get on top of costume thing in the Ren Center.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The responses have been interesting, and appreciated. I'm sure I'm being subjective, but I still feel Light Speed isn't as effective as it once was. No biggie... Moving on. :cool:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Only a developer could tell you if this is a bug or not... sadly. The release notes used to be detailed for each patch, now they frequently come with bugs and the release notes are just used as marketing gimicks. I mean what the hell, we used to have a reliable calendar & release notes... Grr....

But anger aside, yes, superspeed and all its derivative powers functionally ARE supposed to boost jump slightly. Please ignore Bioshike's response, he's wrong.

Then again, it's hard to tell what's intentional or not with Cryptic over the past year. For example, consider the two nerfs to the DarkSpeed device (yes two seperate "secret" nerfs), thermal reverb energy unlock (ask XaoGarret where the thread/topic is for this one), and the nerf to teleport (long ago) were also unannounced but later confirmed to not be bugs (intentional change) by a developer.

I don't like this "secrecy" inner-circle stuff, and history has shown that software-founded internet communities benefit from transparency in the long run. Sadly I do not know what can be done to change that trend here, but I digress.

Helpful advice (sorry I cannot offer more):
    You should create a new topic in the Gamplay Bugs section and then add that link into a in-game bug report ticket. Encourage some of your friends to file the same ticket. If no response comes after a week contact to PWE customer service directly and ask to have the ticket elevated to a senior staff level.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And a fine Millennium Hand And Shrimp to you your Lordship!
    You wouldn't perchance be comparing the rank 1 Flag Speed on an new character with Rank 3 Lightspeed on a level 40 character, would you?
    Because that would go a loooooooong way towards explaining away the discrepancy.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time