test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Be careful with the Free Netflix for Free Zen trial offer..

steelshogunsteelshogun Posts: 5 Arc User
...or at least which banner you click on to sign up.

Ten days ago I decided to to sign up for the Netflix free trial for the free Zen dealie. I click on the banner found on the Champions Online start page (see 3rd link), and I am taken to this page:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiHome
I follow the sign up instructions and get my "Thanks for joining Netflix" email. A week goes by however, and no free Zen. So I contact PW's customer support, and they refer me to Peanut Labs customer support division. I fill out a ticket and attach a screenshot of the actual email sent to me by Netflix. I have yet to cancel my trial, but I sure as heck will now.

After waiting a few days here is my response from Peanut Labs:

"Netflix's tracking system does not show this offer being completed through Peanut Labs so we cannot award you. "

How the hell does that work? All I did was click on the banner provided, and use the sign up form that the link embedded in the banner took me to. I informed them I will never take another survey, or participate in any other offer supplied through Peanut Labs, and before anyone says "You can cancel your Netflix account without being charged, so what's the big deal?" allow me to state that is not the point here. I was promised something in an advert and didn't receive it. The free Zen was the only reason I even signed up for the trial.

Congrats to those this has worked for, but everyone else be careful. Not everything is working as intended, nor does anyone responsible for this apparently give a rat's hindquarters.
Post edited by steelshogun on

Comments

• ziploc332ziploc332 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To be fair, when was the last time anything worked as advertised?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Don't know what went wrong for you - I did the same thing, and had my Zen the next morning.

Hey, PWE - as a simple matter of public relations, it would be worth the expense for you to fix this for the OP, as a one-time gesture of good faith...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,614 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Perfect World doesn't reward grievances on a case by case basis. If this continues to effect multiple people though they will likely remove the reward entirely, but still not reward those who didn't get what was promised.
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to try it from the actual peanut labs thing, here's what I have so far:

Takes you directly to the Netflix signup site (no Peanutlabs overlay)

Zen not received yet. Alternatively, I'm going to use one of these movies to check.
  • stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ziploc332 wrote: »
    I'm going to try it from the actual peanut labs thing, here's what I have so far:

Takes you directly to the Netflix signup site (no Peanutlabs overlay)

Zen not received yet. Alternatively, I'm going to use one of these movies to check.

Is there supposed to be an overlay? Maybe I need to disable ad-blocker.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
    edited August 2012
    stoopidme wrote: »
    Is there supposed to be an overlay? Maybe I need to disable ad-blocker.

Yes, or at least most likely. My adblock is off, and it just takes me straight to the Netflix front page. This means that even though I signed up, they aren't obligated to uphold their end of the deal.

Also, I'm beginning to think all the survey/offers are indeed scams, as they automatically disqualify for me EVEN THOUGH I enter in the correct/proper information.

Peanut labs is known for attempting to leave people high and dry, so maybe PWE needs to consider a new offers partner, as Peanut Labs is shady at best from what I'm seeing. Most download offers are full of viruses, and their system's checks do not work properly.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yes, or at least most likely. My adblock is off, and it just takes me straight to the Netflix front page. This means that even though I signed up, they aren't obligated to uphold their end of the deal.

Also, I'm beginning to think all the survey/offers are indeed scams, as they automatically disqualify for me EVEN THOUGH I enter in the correct/proper information.

Peanut labs is known for attempting to leave people high and dry, so maybe PWE needs to consider a new offers partner, as Peanut Labs is shady at best from what I'm seeing. Most download offers are full of viruses, and their system's checks do not work properly.

The surveys are not a scam. I have about 3000 zen to back that up...

Could just be you're living in an area that no one's looking to get answers from.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2012
    The surveys are not a scam. I have about 3000 zen to back that up...

Could just be you're living in an area that no one's looking to get answers from.

Possible, but at the same time it makes me wonder.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Done a ton of surveys, did some of the free trials, did some of the Facebook connects. Everything worked out and I have the accounts and posts on my wall to prove it.

Not a thing awarded. Real fun.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • kulchatilakulchatila Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They dont give Zen Netflix, me and all those i know try it and pay for 1 subscription never got zen in return!
    edited August 2012
    kulchatila wrote: »
    They dont give Zen Netflix, me and all those i know try it and pay for 1 subscription never got zen in return!
    That's odd, because there have been quite a few of us who have posted about our success getting Zen through the Netflix signup (that's how I got the Invincible archetype)...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kulchatila wrote: »

Wait.. what? You can cancel before the free trial ends and not have to pay a dime. I did the trial, got my zen a few hours after starting it, and canceled it a few days later without issue. Perhaps Netflix or PWE changed the site redirect by accident or something?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I'm sorry you've had difficulty...

But I can confirm that I've gotten almost 7k Zen from Peanut Labs offers, including the Netflix one...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No one should EVER trust an offer of virtual money when a 3rd party is involved! Chances are around 99% that it's a trap!

I fell in for that years ago, on IMVU. I was offered free Credits just for answering a bunch of question about my consumer oppinion. But when I had finished it and the Credits should have been transfered, all I got was an error message - and a lifetime abonement of spam mails! :eek:

I got me a new e-mail account and quit IMVU forever after that. :mad:
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No one should EVER trust an offer of virtual money when a 3rd party is involved! Chances are around 99% that it's a trap!

I fell in for that years ago, on IMVU. I was offered free Credits just for answering a bunch of question about my consumer oppinion. But when I had finished it and the Credits should have been transfered, all I got was an error message - and a lifetime abonement of spam mails! :eek:

I got me a new e-mail account and quit IMVU forever after that. :mad:
    And that is why I have six spare email accounts for just such an occasion.

On the odd time it works the free zen is nice. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • steelshogunsteelshogun Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I usually completely agree with this philosophy. This was something I bounced back and forth doing. I am not going to blame anyone who has posted their success for this, but as quoted here:

jonsills wrote: »
    That's odd, because there have been quite a few of us who have posted about our success getting Zen through the Netflix signup (that's how I got the Invincible archetype)...

these success stories promoted me to go ahead and sign up. And it's awesome it worked for them. Something must have changed, somewhere, because as I read this thread now I am apparently not the only person this happened to. My luck runs true to form it seems.

I'm not one to speculate, but this could entirely be Netflix's fault. Peanut Labs customer support seemed more than happy to point out that it was Netflix's tracker that didn't show I had signed up through the proper channels. From what I understand the company has kinda slid downhill after splitting their membership types, and now are involved in some major lawsuit over member privacy(?).

Then if that's all true, screw Netflix too. Overall, however, it's Peanut Labs customer service that I am less that happy with, seeing as how I gave out credit card and other personal information responding to one of their offers, they could have looked into this a little harder.

I don't use adBlock as stated in an earlier post myself, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think the bottom line is whomever is responsible for the banner on the main page, be it CO, PW, PL, or Netflix, needs to check that it's working as intended.

My mama always told me nothing is ever truly free...
  • rap9rap9 Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well...had planned on doing this, saw this thread, made me kinda nervous but I went ahead with it anyway, to see what would happen. Within several hours my points came in successfully.

There isn't really any indication from the link that you're on a 'peanuts lab version' of the netflix page, so don't go by that.

Guess its just a case of some drawing the short straw.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My advice for all transactions whether real or virtual: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

Mail-order Netflix is going under, the purely online instantaneous version has always been the consumer preference.

I'd recommend y'all don't trust any of those "offers", the vast majority will be scams, keyloggers, or other types of malware.

I do however do the annoymous surveys and for the most part they're just fine. In fact some of them were actually suprisingly well targeted at me as a consumer: Naked & Bolthouse farm drinks, Gamestop, Target, paintball ammo, pyrotechnics suppliers, firearm scopes, rock climbing gear, Bob Evans, Marathon, Dow Chemicals, etc.

The only surveys I refused on was one that made an ignorant stereotpical racist slur about Muslims and Jews, and one about buying a houseboat (wtf am I going to do with a houseboat?).

It is clear that Peanut Labs records the surveys you complete or disqualify from because it's giving me more surveys about products & services I actually use than ones I don't. I guess a little honesty pays off, eh?

On the otherhand it's kind of creepy they can make educated guesses at my shopping habits, and glad I'm still some nameless unknown number with and email address on file that is simply an email I use register for stuff with and all incoming mail goes into spam (and then deleted in time) unless it's whitelisted by me manually. Never use your personal contact email for gaming sites and especially not survey stuff.

FYI: Best way too avoid spam is to do what many the big companies do, direct line to the trash bin. Never ever respond to spam. For example, saying you want off the mailing list proves it's a valid, live email address, something they'll then just sell to another spam marketing group.

Peanut Labs isn't evil, but you're not in their interest. The companies who pay them to do the surveys are their clients, not you. You got to be smart enough to look out for yourself, or you should be staying away from it.
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree those surveys,offers,and whatevers on that peanut labs page,caused my computer to go slower and I think It gave me a virus,which is why I am not doing them EVER again.If I want to get free zen the Qnite market has been ripe lately,but those surveys and offers are evil.
    edited August 2012
    After 3 days, I got my Zen. I tried watching some movies and it chewed through my data cap, so I closed the account.

Today, I've been billed by Netflix even though I was on the trial account, and they've refused to help me over the phone.
  • velzandarvelzandar Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I had this EXACT same problem, and after fighting for a week with the peanut labs support and basically being told I was SOL, i gave up.

I was going to try and give PWE/Cryptic a ring but couldn't even find a number for them.

Here's the link to the thread I posted on the STO forums when it happened: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=305651

I'm very curious as to why it is some people have no issues with this and some of us can't get it to work even though we did nothing different.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I wouldn't advise anyone to give out credit card details and emails just to get Disney money.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited August 2012
    I wouldn't advise any of the free zen offers unless you have virus protection on your computer.It literally SCREAMS virus:frown:
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Virus, might be a bit strong. If they were actually infecting folks with damaging software that could open them up to litigation.

Adware, spyware, and the like, however. Are considered completely legit and most likely being used.

I know its splitting hairs, but one is meant to damage, the others are simply persistent, annoying, hard to remove, and slow your system down. but other wise wont hurt your PC. They want your PC to continue to work so they can continue to blast you with ads and pop ups .

As if that will somehow inspire me, in my rage and frothing anger to buy their product as a way to undo the cyber extortion.
  • rap9rap9 Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A number of links the offers I've seen and gone to the site, when I was to the point of realization I wasn't going to do the offer and closed the tab, I got the 'are you sure you want to close this' message which I've always known to be a doorway to such things as spyware or at mimimum, multiple redirects (the question is generally, actually, 'would you like to be F'd or F'd?').

One of them I only saw up for a day before it disappeared. I'd be willing to bet it was due to complaints or internal analysis that it was a bad site.

If you ever see that question when you close a tab/window, btw, cntrl+alt+del into task manager and shut down the browser process directly (...firefox or chrome hopefully). Unless you're an idiot who can't trust themselves to not close the wrong process. But do not respond to suspicious prompts.

But yeah...not all of it has been shady but some of it quite is. If you're one of those people who tends to find ways to get infected (some people are just...magnets we'll say) I'd avoid most of these free offers.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I went for the netflix thing TWICE to try to get zen, I got no confirmation of any sort that it registered. I've done a few surveys, a month ago, and nothing.

I'm pretty pissed off. I gave up on the surveys, but I was all about netflix because I'd actually use it. This doesn't kick me zen, I'm probably gonna remove my netflix sub and send em a nastygram.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Virus, might be a bit strong. If they were actually infecting folks with damaging software that could open them up to litigation.

Adware, spyware, and the like, however. Are considered completely legit and most likely being used.

I know its splitting hairs, but one is meant to damage, the others are simply persistent, annoying, hard to remove, and slow your system down. but other wise wont hurt your PC. They want your PC to continue to work so they can continue to blast you with ads and pop ups .

As if that will somehow inspire me, in my rage and frothing anger to buy their product as a way to undo the cyber extortion.

Bah, I'm afraid you're doing more harm than good here Sockmunkey with saying things like that...

Software that is designed to use up system resources for tasks that user does not want or need them to do is of malicious design. Good software design is bug free and efficient with system resources to accomplished the user's intended tasks as designed.

It's not a matter splitting hairs, each of those things you listed ARE examples of malicious software. Labeling one as a virus, another as a trojan, and another as "harmless spam" doesn't really make a difference in the end what you call it. Bad software is bad software.

Kind of like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBLkLwz4Oyo
    which is actually making a parody of what Kazaa used to do (before getting hit with lawsuits):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaa

Plenty of "free offers" do BS like this, this isn't a new occurrence on the internet people... Seriously, some of y'all are acting like pigs walking right into the slaughterhouse with the promise of goodies to eat (Zen in this case), so you can turn around and gamble it on grab bags (although pigs have no interest in grab bags, ergo it could be argued they are displaying superior survival skills lol). Maybe I should start grunting "Oink-oink-oink"? It might get the message across better! :tongue: teehee

Smart-alek joking aside, the counter-argument (which I've heard a dozen time) is that you're not "forced" to do those "free" offers. But don't be naive here people, you know darned well there's many kids who play this game and many other people in our community who are not internet safety savvy who will go right on and do those things. You're not really acting with the interest of the others in the community in your heart if you don't think that.

Hell I don't think any of you could afford to pay me enough to give those "free trials" a try. It's kind of a lack of common sense by your typical consumer, hence my joke about pigs going to the slaughter earlier. Some things will never change I guess. *shrug*

Most of this is just blah-blah-blah same old story I've seen dozens of times on the internet (especially with regards to Facebook advertisements), but there is one subtext I find to be disgustingly ironic... That subtext of this story that angers me is this:
    On one hand Perfect World condemns regions for their "security threat" and blocks them, and then with the other hand supports this Peanut Labs survey group which then in turn allows for "whatever goes" with regards to free offers. Hypocrisy much?! :mad:

To be clear I'm actually glad for something like this Peanut Labs thing that gives people yet another option to pay for stuff in Champions Online. It's win-win, for the most part, primarily with regards to surveys. More choices/options is a GOOD thing!

The part that's BS is this hypocritical double-standard (displayed by Perfect World) when it comes to malware stuff. And to be fair Peanut Labs does have people who try to check for this stuff, but some malware slips through the cracks, either by negligence or simple user stupidity

You can take the bugs out of the software, but you can't fix the stupid out of the user! :biggrin:

The moral of the story here is if you want to get involved with this stuff you need to be smarter with common sense and understand the risks. I for one will be sticking to the surveys. :smile:
    edited August 2012
    The free zen thing did appear to cause lag on CO after doing it,not sure about you guys,but Im staying away from surveys online,FOREVER.I'd only advise these surveys if you have anti-virus and anti-malware on your computer.:mad:
    edited August 2012
    Why are you even accessing the Internet without a good antivirus/anti-malware program running? It's what we used to call "practicing safe hex" back in the early '90s. And the situation has only gotten worse, with script kiddies priding themselves on their l33t haxx0rz ski11z because they can run someone else's cyberwarfare suite...

• purplepompadourpurplepompadour Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hmm. If this stuff works how I think it might. Might be good to clear your cookies before you start with the surveys and offers.
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Why are you even accessing the Internet without a good antivirus/anti-malware program running? It's what we used to call "practicing safe hex" back in the early '90s. And the situation has only gotten worse, with script kiddies priding themselves on their l33t haxx0rz ski11z because they can run someone else's cyberwarfare suite...

Good advice, I would like to fine tune it though if I may.

When dowloading stuff from websites:
    1. Know if you can trust the source.
    2. Check the URL in case of phishing (or rickroll links)
    3. Have an UPDATED antivirus installed

When ONLY playing a full screen game (no out-of-game stuff going on in the background)...
    Pro Tip:
    1. Loadup the launcher program & let it patch or whatever while you do step 2
    2. Check memory usages with system performance tool and network traffic from programs. See if there's any unfamiliar process doing something it shouldn't.
    3. Turn OFF the antivirus (but not the firewall) and launch the fullscreen game

A lot of "lag" complaints in-game are simply because their antivirus software (Norton and MacFee are notorious for doing this) decided it was a swell idea to start a download of definitions, or a full freakin' system scan, right then. It just couldn't wait. :rolleyes:

Another culprit is frequenty the scheduled harddrive defragmentation utility. I recommend scheduling it to scan on a a time where you'll be away and can leave the computer on, and also at a time that WILL NOT interfere with the antivirus's own system scan.

You can make most "2 hr" system scans and defragmentations take literally a few minutes by just making sure no other programs are queuing time doing the deed with your harddrive (double-entendre FTW?)

Hope this helps!

Hmm. If this stuff works how I think it might. Might be good to clear your cookies before you start with the surveys and offers.

Actually they're storing data on your survey answers anonymously using only your user ID. No more, no less