test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.30.20120731a.1 PTS Update

2»

Comments

• s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    problably a game breaking idea and not very viable... but what are your thoughts about making night warrior time based? meaning you'll get a bigger bonus at night time or something like that...

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So that should work great in VB...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm still crashing on launch :frown:

Brick_McDuggins in game.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't use devices or any of that crap. I use offensive passives to match my main attacks' damage types, forms, and all of my builds are crit based. Including my PA laser sword tank (whom uses invuln/dodge rather than an offensive passive).

So just an offensive passive and your form lets you hit for 25k with DC now, while i with
    my defense passive only make maybe 6k actual ?
    R607qMf.jpg
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So here's what I have so far, just playing my NW up to level 9, and looking at the overall build.

1.) Firstly, I really like the meshing of tech and claws. It nicely sidesteps the 'batman clone' syndrome alot of us saw coming with this build. In theory at least, it also plays to claw's strength as single target focused set. I plan on bringing my PTS character to live when the AT arrives, which should say alot for a lifetimer who only rarely dabbles at AT. That said, there are a couple of things:

2.) Theory is really the issue here. I can't sneak my NW up to anyone in lair settings. Open world is easier, but in lairs I might as well walk around with a blanket over my head playing peakaboo. Stealth does nothing. Not one single sucessful shadowstrike in all of "Thick As Thieves", and I played through it three times (Sidebar, that mission seems broken for me right now.) Thats bad, and we're talking starting levels here. Maybe I'm just playing it wrong...but thats not really a valid excuse. I'm a first time player with the mechanic, same as most people who buy the AT. if its not intuitive and useful to me, its not going to help players either.

3.) Rend and Tear? Really? Thats a beastial attack. I'd get it if it were a placeholder for a claws AoE, but singe you've said we're not getting one of those right now...how about replacing it with the universal AoE sweep kick? That way its at least semi thematic for the AT.

4.) Not a complaint, but could we get a tazer advantage for the grapple pull? Maybe electric damage with a chance to stun? We could really use a tazer gadget attack, and this would work nicely for that.

5.) I'm not a minmaxer by any means, but I think its a bit stupid that Nightwarrior is the only offensive passive without an innate damage resistance portion. It'd be different if stealth was awesome enough to use on its own...but it isn't. Lets give it some survivability please, or players are just going to squish playing it.

6.) Shouldn't this AT really be a melee DPS role? Its far too squishy to call itself balanced.
    edited August 2012
    2.) Theory is really the issue here. I can't sneak my NW up to anyone in lair settings. Open world is easier, but in lairs I might as well walk around with a blanket over my head playing peakaboo. Stealth does nothing. Not one single sucessful shadowstrike in all of "Thick As Thieves", and I played through it three times (Sidebar, that mission seems broken for me right now.) Thats bad, and we're talking starting levels here. Maybe I'm just playing it wrong...but thats not really a valid excuse. I'm a first time player with the mechanic, same as most people who buy the AT. if its not intuitive and useful to me, its not going to help players either.

Could maybe be the same mechanism that makes mobs in lairs attack you even if they
    are grey ?
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited August 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    Could maybe be the same mechanism that makes mobs in lairs attack you even if they
    are grey ?

*shrugs*

All I'm saying is that if you want to sell me on stealth as a mechanic ingame, then I should be able to use stealth as a mechanic in game.
  • blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So just an offensive passive and your form lets you hit for 25k with DC now, while i with
    my defense passive only make maybe 6k actual ?

No, At best min maxing, offensive role, passive and Brawler/Vindicator/Dex you can get ~15k from Dragon's Claw with a freeform, on crit. Usually most regular offensive builds get 12-13k. However, minmaxing builds, you get hit 16,000 with Defile, 20,000 with Force Cascade and 12,000 with Ebon Ruin. (Just to name a few). You can ask SanguineViper for these numbers too, she's posted a few of them before on several threads (Oh, don't want to forget 10kx2 TK Lance :wink:)
    edited August 2012
    No, At best min maxing, offensive role, passive and Brawler/Vindicator/Dex you can get ~15k from Dragon's Claw with a freeform, on crit. Usually most regular offensive builds get 12-13k. However, minmaxing builds, you get hit 16,000 with Defile

Thats what i meant, since people again throw the 25k numbers into the room here :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited August 2012
    So here's what I have so far, just playing my NW up to level 9, and looking at the overall build.

1.) Firstly, I really like the meshing of tech and claws. It nicely sidesteps the 'batman clone' syndrome alot of us saw coming with this build. In theory at least, it also plays to claw's strength as single target focused set. I plan on bringing my PTS character to live when the AT arrives, which should say alot for a lifetimer who only rarely dabbles at AT. That said, there are a couple of things:
    I agree here Claws fits well and sidesteps batman clonage.
    Completely agree even moreso, read this thread http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=158101 <-- This is something we need, please push this idea.
    3.) Rend and Tear? Really? Thats a beastial attack. I'd get it if it were a placeholder for a claws AoE, but singe you've said we're not getting one of those right now...how about replacing it with the universal AoE sweep kick? That way its at least semi thematic for the AT.
    Well, Rend and Tear was my suggestion, its benficial as a knock. however, it needs an overhaul. I suggest making it a cone AoE.
    4.) Not a complaint, but could we get a tazer advantage for the grapple pull? Maybe electric damage with a chance to stun? We could really use a tazer gadget attack, and this would work nicely for that.
    /signed this is a great idea, and makes grapple pull a bit more unique.
    5.) I'm not a minmaxer by any means, but I think its a bit stupid that Nightwarrior is the only offensive passive without an innate damage resistance portion. It'd be different if stealth was awesome enough to use on its own...but it isn't. Lets give it some survivability please, or players are just going to squish playing it.
    I COMPLETELY agree here, personally, I'd prefer they fix sneak, because its awful still. (This is in both PvE and PvP too.) But if they can't wrap their heads around buffing perception stealth on sneak, this Passive needs more defense.
    6.) Shouldn't this AT really be a melee DPS role? Its far too squishy to call itself balanced.
    Its Hybrid because it works with both ranged powers and melee powers. (It needs more melee/ranged diversity, each option should be a ranged power or a melee power, or two types of CC or AD vs AO).
    edited August 2012
    So I went ahead and played through Poe's lair. I managed to get shadow strike working maybe 30% of the time by flat charging the enemy and leting me decloak as I attacked. Not the intended design of the attack, but it works. Couldn't stealth hit Poe at all.

Also, is it just me, or does NW have no active defenses, or active offense. I would have figured on it getting at least Intensity or Smoke Bomb, but neither of those are on its level progression. I'd suggest giving it smokebomb in place of grapple pull. (Maybe making it a choice between grapple pull of smoke bomb lunge?)
  • sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited October 2015

No it amplifies how out of line ATs are because they don't have any diminishing returns and can exploit that to ridiculous effect... You're really going to try to say that dragons claws hitting for ~2000-3000 more damage than other Dragon attacks is OP when I can pummel things with TK lance for 20-22K? Or 26k with reaper's? Or 16k with defile every 2 seconds?

How about massacre? Massacre hits for 4000-5000 on tap for me, and costs literally nothing and I can spam it forever because of supernat power...

How bout devour essence? Can keep that ticking off forever for 2000ish (probably more on a melee build, i use it on Miss Stinky as a backup heal) a tick and healing yourself for hundreds a second to boot.

Or how bout epidemic, yet another power made free by supernat power that hits as hard as assault rifle (1300-3000) vs. 5 targets in 25ft. with no self root and stacks a poison dot that ends up dealing another 1000+ damage per tick to all targets.

But yeah, dragon claws out of everything is just way out of line because an AT will be able to hit for 17k with it now... *shrug*

**edit**
    The key here being the Archetype part. I guarantee you that every single night warrior AT that tries to pull off min maxed 17k DC spam in any sort of alert or boss fight is going to get knocked straight on its **** in two to three hits from the boss, because ARCHETYPE. It has no heals, no defense, nothing. The Night warrior ATs will be flat on their backs after their epic OP spike damage while the rest of the team fights on.

Remember people, the game is not a training dummy room, bosses hit back, and don't like squishies with high DPS. And neither do PvPers, who sneak won't even work at all on.
    Thats what i meant, since people again throw the 25k numbers into the room here :wink:

Reaper's embrace, Shadow strike, and the Eagle blaster sniper rifle are currently the only powers i know of that can hit for 25k+ without some kind of exploitation. I never said anything about anything else hitting for 25k. A hit for 10-12k will likely one shot any non-tough/elite master villain.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Snark never dies.
    edited August 2012
    No it amplifies how out of line ATs are because they don't have any diminishing returns and can exploit that to ridiculous effect... You're really going to try to say that dragons claws hitting for ~2000-3000 more damage than other Dragon attacks is OP when I can pummel things with TK lance for 20-22K? Or 26k with reaper's? Or 16k with defile every 2 seconds?

How about massacre? Massacre hits for 4000-5000 on tap for me, and costs literally nothing and I can spam it forever because of supernat power...

How bout devour essence? Can keep that ticking off forever for 2000ish (probably more on a melee build, i use it on Miss Stinky as a backup heal) a tick and healing yourself for hundreds a second to boot.

Or how bout epidemic, yet another power made free by supernat power that hits as hard as assault rifle (1300-3000) vs. 5 targets in 25ft. with no self root and stacks a poison dot that ends up dealing another 1000+ damage per tick to all targets.

But yeah, dragon claws out of everything is just way out of line because an AT will be able to hit for 17k with it now... *shrug*
    Sanguine, you read my mind. Everything here. I agree with 100%
    Reaper's embrace, Shadow strike, and the Eagle blaster sniper rifle are currently the only powers i know of that can hit for 25k+ without some kind of exploitation. I never said anything about anything else hitting for 25k. A hit for 10-12k will likely one shot any non-tough/elite master villain.
    You should also count Unleashed Rage. with Electric form, Enrage, and MeleeDamage role it hits ungodly numbers.
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is... it wrong that my biggest issue with the NW AT right now is that I had a build like that before and now I'm gonna be a bit less unique when I bring it back to Live?

I'm such a hipster. ;_; Ah well. I'll try and get some testing done, but it's dependent on not horking at the moment. A lot of the Stealth/Shadow Strike issues are things I'd noticed doing Battle Station testing, though (one in every six Shadow Strikes would actually get off, and a lot of that required setup and fast reflexes).

EDIT: Should mention also that the opportunity cost of the 5 failed Shadow Strike attempts was eating mob alpha-strikes and an additional 1+ second recovery time to switch to a different attack (in this case, Evasive/Boomerang Cone). Sucks for long-term sustainability and makes going for Shadow Strike a bad deal in most solo situations (as I could just charge DC instead and guarantee solid damage as an opener, with no real 'loss' as opposed to blowing a Shadow Strike and getting ~400 damage out of it).

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Is... it wrong that my biggest issue with the NW AT right now is that I had a build like that before and now I'm gonna be a bit less unique when I bring it back to Live?

I'm such a hipster. ;_; Ah well. I'll try and get some testing done, but it's dependent on not horking at the moment. A lot of the Stealth/Shadow Strike issues are things I'd noticed doing Battle Station testing, though (one in every six Shadow Strikes would actually get off, and a lot of that required setup and fast reflexes).

EDIT: Should mention also that the opportunity cost of the 5 failed Shadow Strike attempts was eating mob alpha-strikes and an additional 1+ second recovery time to switch to a different attack (in this case, Evasive/Boomerang Cone). Sucks for long-term sustainability and makes going for Shadow Strike a bad deal in most solo situations (as I could just charge DC instead and guarantee solid damage as an opener, with no real 'loss' as opposed to blowing a Shadow Strike and getting ~400 damage out of it).

Root of the issue would be Sneak there, still far too weak.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Applying Crowd Control still does not break sneak.

Bubbles prevent sneak from dropping when taking dmg.

working as intended?

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.