test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO PvP Olympics??

wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
edited August 2012 in The Hero Games
This is a repeat post from the discussion thread

To whomever will be reading this post:

I am in the process or liaising with 2 PvP SGs to organise a friendly PvP tournament opened to all. We have generous sponsors who are willing to come up with in-game prizes for this tournament. We are currently targeting to have different categories for the tournament to provide as much a semblance of balance and even possibly matches for different tiers. All these are done as a means to revive friendly and healthy competition in PvP. It will also promote the much dying PvP segment of the game. I am hoping to be able to sustain this on a weekly or monthly basis rather than an once-off event. As such, I wonder if there is anything the devs could provide in terms of the communication of such an event and publicity. A simple note on the main chat to inform people about registration procedures or extravagantly a nice little banner on load page or in the RC will really be good. This is the community's effort in doing something for the game and it will be good if the dev team could help us a little. If you guys can offer us any help, please contact me.

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong section but this is probably the place with the highest likelihood of this post getting read.

Dear all,

The above is a post I have placed in the discussion thread to try and get any attention or assistance from devs with the organising of the above said event.

I have also mentioned this to some of you in game chat and I am determined to see this through. I post here now to seek more sponsorship for prizes. I just need an expressed commitment at the moment until things are more finalized. Assistance in organising will also be deeply appreciated. Currently there are already a few regular PvPers (myself included) who have agreed to open their coffers to "fund" this event.

I intend to set up a channel dedicated to the organising committee and another for all participants to make it easier for coordination.

Current thinking is knock-out system based on luck of draw (by organisers, you just have to trust us). I will draft up the different categories and open it for sign up with a fixed closing date. Failure to show up results in auto-walkover. Once the prizes are more or less finalised, I will also put up the prize list and contestants line-up probably on an online document. Guidelines and conditions for winning will be detailed and judges' decision is final. If response is good we may need to conduct across more than 1 zone. So we will need more than 1 team of judges. Ideally, we can finish the whole event within 2 hours.

I also beseech all the hardcore (whatever that means) PvPers to come onboard to promote this event and try not to FC ER AoPM too many upstarts LOL.
Post edited by wesleytansg on

Comments

• mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Outlaw AoPM and I might be interested, playing one specific build to put up a fight against the rest is boring and stale.

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Only if I can shot put.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am hearing quite a number of regular PvPers requesting that AoPM be taken out or placed in a different category. We will consider this feedback but I must caution that we must really consider this carefully because if we open the flood gates I foresee requests to remove smoke grenade, ascension, maybe even imbue LOL. But I promise I will discuss this with the others and see what measures we can come up with in regards to this issue.

I do hope more of you will come lend us support by sponsoring, helping or participating. Just try not to one-shot everyone. Anyway I forgot to mention, those of us who are organising or sponsoring will probably not be participating in the matches so that more average players have a shot at it.

Brou: Are you sure you want shot-put,you seem more suited for acrobatic gymnastics ;P
  • oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Love the idea. Careful with the restrictions though. If you say no to AoPM then also, indeed, and most definitely, NO to Smoke Grenade and Evasive Maneuvers and any type of holds and no to actives etc etc etc.

So draw the line somewhere but maybe restrictions would be good. Otherwise, have 3 separate tiers for the tournament. I.E. Tier 1 = completely unrestricted freeform, Tier 2 = Some restrictions to freeforms (I.E. no aopm, smoke nade, etc etc), & finally Tier 3 = Archetypes!

If I can log on for these tournaments I would love to record everything for youtube, but likely, I will not participate in the actual tournament. I think the dozen or so regulars should bow out as well to make room for a fresh base of PvPers. The less intimidated they are the more fun they might have.
    edited August 2012
    oobtree wrote: »
    Love the idea. Careful with the restrictions though. If you say no to AoPM then also, indeed, and most definitely, NO to Smoke Grenade and Evasive Maneuvers and any type of holds and no to actives etc etc etc.

So draw the line somewhere but maybe restrictions would be good. Otherwise, have 3 separate tiers for the tournament. I.E. Tier 1 = completely unrestricted freeform, Tier 2 = Some restrictions to freeforms (I.E. no aopm, smoke nade, etc etc), & finally Tier 3 = Archetypes!

If I can log on for these tournaments I would love to record everything for youtube, but likely, I will not participate in the actual tournament. I think the dozen or so regulars should bow out as well to make room for a fresh base of PvPers. The less intimidated they are the more fun they might have.

Thanks for the input on the tiers will give them due considerations and I hope we have the means to screen and regulate. I guess it is alright to allow regulars to join if there are sufficient participants since the newer players may not have to face them until 2nd or 3rd round of the competition but nothing is cast in stone and we will have to review as we go along. But yes, I do have some concerns that the regulars will stampede over the fresher PvPers.
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Or make it less of a headache and just split between melee and ranged. Only a very few of the ranged players use a real passive and they eventually put up a fight anyways. You want to tinker with other powers: No placate on smoke grenade. Allowing R3 nades and EM's advantage depends of how bad those who invested hard into perception actually feel about this.

• amyjiaamyjia Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is a very interesting idea. Would there be individual and Team competitions?
    oobtree wrote: »
    Otherwise, have 3 separate tiers for the tournament. I.E. Tier 1 = completely unrestricted freeform, Tier 2 = Some restrictions to freeforms (I.E. no aopm, smoke nade, etc etc), & finally Tier 3 = Archetypes!

I think this is a good idea for tiers. Would Archetypes be able to join higher tiers (for example like they can in the hero games) or will they be restricted to their specific tier? Also, can one character play in more than one tier (for example a archetype playing in both unrestricted and archetype tiers) or do they have to just choose one and stick to it?
    edited August 2012
    AT will have a separate category from freeform. So that makes 2 catogories. I am considering maybe each category will be further broken up into 2 tiers for level between 1 to 20 and 21 to 40. I am reluctant to open up too many categories as it means many more prizes needed. Currently in the prize list we have:

1 darkspeed level 40
    1 empowered dragon staff
    several blood moon devices
    costume unlocks
    we could probably put in some Gs
    more contributions will be appreciated