test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why the Community & Forums Neglect?

lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Since about the time we got the "new" forums, it seems Cryptic/PW have "officially" stopped "caring" about the Champions Community and Forums.

1) Lack of Dev Tracker posts:
Really this has been going on for a while, but has dwindled further to near nothing (a couple drannic posts in as many days, notwithstanding).

2) Lack of Custom Notices:
Many of the "press release"-type notices we've been getting are carbon copies of those for Star Trek Online, and while I understand much of the content might be similar, that's no excuse for not taking a moment to search/replace out "STO" with "CO" (or other relevant swaps).

3) No Links to Forums:
In the past, the "blog"-like posts made on the main page (such as those for the Questionite Sale, or the Ninja Travel Power release) would include a link to the forum power, and then of course there would be a Dev (or "Community Manager") post in the forums around which we could post.

This last omission is especially bothersome to me. I know the new blog entries have a sort of "comment" field, but STO still get Forum threads, and I think the forum is a better resource to share feedback. Not to mention that thread post would tickle the DevTracker, helping to direct traffic/flow and keep responses centralized.

So please Cryptic/PW, can you tell me why the neglect?

:redface:
jIBJh7X.jpg
When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Since about the time we got the "new" forums, it seems Cryptic/PW have "officially" stopped "caring" about the Champions Community and Forums.

1) Lack of Dev Tracker posts:
    Really this has been going on for a while, but has dwindled further to near nothing (a couple drannic posts in as many days, notwithstanding).

Dev tracker used to point to both Dev and Moderator posts so all it contained all the CM posts as well, however now it only has the Dev posts shrinking the pool of posts that get tracked by it.
    2) Lack of Custom Notices:
    Many of the "press release"-type notices we've been getting are carbon copies of those for Star Trek Online, and while I understand much of the content might be similar, that's no excuse for not taking a moment to search/replace out "STO" with "CO" (or other relevant swaps).

3) No Links to Forums:
    In the past, the "blog"-like posts made on the main page (such as those for the Questionite Sale, or the Ninja Travel Power release) would include a link to the forum power, and then of course there would be a Dev (or "Community Manager") post in the forums around which we could post.

These two both have the same answer and I'll put it here, until last week we had Stormshade as our Community Manager who's been pulled between managing us and our posts and managing the website and forums for the Neverwinter Online and has all but admitted to being pressured to focus on NWO. This means that he's had little time to post updates on the website and may have forgotten to add the forum links (we have been getting threads for the updates as well though just not advertised on the website. However server downtimes and other things shared with STO were being posted by pwebranflakes, the dedicated CM for the STO community. Hence the copy and paste posts.

Now we have a dedicated CM in the form of Trailturtle hopefully alleivating these issues.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Its obvious that they don't love us anymore.

We have been tossed under the bus for the new super model sporting a fancy +3 staff of deception.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited July 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Now we have a dedicated CM in the form of Trailturtle hopefully alleivating these issues.

To clarify:

Dedicated in the sense that I am committed to working with the CO community and helping CO become the best game it can be? Yes.

Dedicated in the sense that I only have one game to focus on? Unfortunately, no. I was working on Jade Dynasty beforehand, and now I'm working on both CO and JD. Any times that there have been direct copy-pastes, without changes from STO to CO -- those were my fault, and I apologize for that.

There will be times when both games have the same message to get out, though. Especially when I don't know all the systems being referenced, I would rather use the same messaging as STO than try to rewrite it completely and risk it being incorrect.

As for forum posts from the blogs... I can start making that happen, I suppose. It wasn't a priority for me -- I'm bringing a lot of Jade Dynasty habits over, and we didn't do cross-forum posts unless it was a big deal -- but if there's sufficient demand, I can certainly start those up again. They may not always happen at the same time, but they can happen.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To clarify:

Dedicated in the sense that I am committed to working with the CO community and helping CO become the best game it can be? Yes.

Dedicated in the sense that I only have one game to focus on? Unfortunately, no. I was working on Jade Dynasty beforehand, and now I'm working on both CO and JD. Any times that there have been direct copy-pastes, without changes from STO to CO -- those were my fault, and I apologize for that.

There will be times when both games have the same message to get out, though. Especially when I don't know all the systems being referenced, I would rather use the same messaging as STO than try to rewrite it completely and risk it being incorrect.

As for forum posts from the blogs... I can start making that happen, I suppose. It wasn't a priority for me -- I'm bringing a lot of Jade Dynasty habits over, and we didn't do cross-forum posts unless it was a big deal -- but if there's sufficient demand, I can certainly start those up again. They may not always happen at the same time, but they can happen.

Hey .. if you just post anything here maybe once each day we are already happy
    after all the silence we had in the last months :redface:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ...I would rather use the same messaging as STO than try to rewrite it completely and risk it being incorrect...
    <.<
    >.>
    Personally, i'd risk it.

We've (CO) been negleted long enough, and we need to FEEL that we're cared about :mad:
    And if all it takes is a little "personalization" on a post to make that happen, weeeellllll...
    To clarify:

Dedicated in the sense that I am committed to working with the CO community and helping CO become the best game it can be?
    Yes.

Dedicated in the sense that I only have one game to focus on? Unfortunately, no.
    I was working on Jade Dynasty beforehand, and now I'm working on both CO and JD...
    Ok, no malice intended here, just curiosity :redface:

So we STILL don't have a "Dedicated" CM for CO? :confused:

Are we the ONLY game in the PW network that doesn't have one?
    Because it sounds like STO has theirs, and if that's the case...

>>> :frown:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ...Any times that there have been direct copy-pastes, without changes from STO to CO -- those were my fault, and I apologize for that.

As for forum posts from the blogs... I can start making that happen, I suppose...
    Hello TrailTurtle, welcome, it is nice to meet you! Personally I don't mind a shared CM, but it would be nice seeing a post or two a day. :) Specifically, can you get your posts in the DevTracker, please? Yes, I know you're not technically a Dev, but often you speak for them/carry their words to us. I have a job, life, and things to do outside of CO, but I want to make sure to keep tabs on all "official communiqu?s" coming from "on high" ... Having to search all the threads in all the forums subsections is often not possible for me. Having one central location to go to for your (any Cryptic/PW/CO) posts would be fantastic (and that's the way it still works in STO and used to work in CO).

Which is why, do YES, please make a "duplicate" forum post for MainPage Ads, Blogs, or Announcements. Again, it centralizes the discussion on the new blog, and while probably not eliminating duplicate threads, it does reduce them. If there's a particular bug, quirk, highlight, special, or other tidbit we players need to know about something new, it's nice to follow a link from the Main Post into a thread where the players are posting on the same subject (again without having to hunt for it).

Lastly, I get that some rules/announcement apply to both games (STO/CO), but it shouldn't be hard to at least do a search/replace (I don't know of a text editor/word processor that doesn't have one these days) out STO for CO. At least!

Again, thanks for stopping by and saying "Hi" - "Hello Back" - And idly, why the red and not yellow name?
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • spiritbrandspiritbrand Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok, no malice intended here, just curiosity :redface:

So we STILL don't have a "Dedicated" CM for CO? :confused:

I have to say I bear some ill will. You are tasked with being our CM, but you say twice you basically don't really know about our game...

Frankly, I'm offended.
    Hello TrailTurtle, welcome, it is nice to meet you! Personally I don't mind a shared CM, but it would be nice seeing a post or two a day. :) Specifically, can you get your posts in the DevTracker, please?

Again, thanks for stopping by and saying "Hi" - "Hello Back" - And idly, why the red and not yellow name?

Red is admin -- and I'm in the dev tracker now, no worries.

Lastly, I get that some rules/announcement apply to both games (STO/CO), but it shouldn't be hard to at least do a search/replace (I don't know of a text editor/word processor that doesn't have one these days) out STO for CO. At least!

Agreed. While I can't promise personalization, I will work to be sure that we don't have "STO" written in a CO forum post.

Are we the ONLY game in the PW network that doesn't have one?
    Because it sounds like STO has theirs, and if that's the case...

STO does, and many other games do -- but there are other games that share CMs.
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is a repeat post from another thread:

To whomever will be reading this post:

I am in the process or liaising with 2 PvP SGs to organise a friendly PvP tournament opened to all. We have generous sponsors who are willing to come up with in-game prizes for this tournament. We are currently targeting to have different categories for the tournament to provide as much a semblance of balance and even possibly matches for different tiers. All these are done as a means to revive friendly and healthy competition in PvP. It will also promote the much dying PvP segment of the game. I am hoping to be able to sustain this on a weekly or monthly basis rather than an once-off event. As such, I wonder if there is anything the devs could provide in terms of the communication of such an event and publicity. A simple note on the main chat to inform people about registration procedures or extravagantly a nice little banner on load page or in the RC will really be good. This is the community's effort in doing something for the game and it will be good if the dev team could help us a little. If you guys can offer us any help, please contact me.

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong section but this is probably the place with the highest likelihood of this post getting read.
    edited July 2012
    Red is admin -- and I'm in the dev tracker now, no worries...

Agreed. While I can't promise personalization, I will work to be sure that we don't have "STO" written in a CO forum post...
    Thanks for the response/answers, and I 'm quite thankful you're in the DevTracker now. Woot!

:biggrin:
    jIBJh7X.jpg

edited August 2012
    trailturtle, can you add nisdiddums to the DevTracker too, please?
    jIBJh7X.jpg