test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Out of Memory Error Resolved?

edrickedrick Posts: 14 Arc User
edited July 2012 in PC & Technical Issues
Has this ridiculous garbage been fixed? Has Cryptic acknowledged how much they screwed the pooch with this one?

I literally couldn't play a straight session of the game anymore. Playing Champions has become a chore and a game of Russian roulette as to whether or not I crash when loading in-between zone!
Post edited by edrick on

Comments

• Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That's pretty vague and the first I've heard of said issue.

I'd be more concerned with malware and checking drivers and configs if you're seeing that.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hhere was a problem with a memory leak the first weak after On Alert release, however
    that has been fixed fast, and now we again have only the old problem that the game
    crashes maybe after a long session of 6+ hours with much zoning.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edrickedrick Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    That's pretty vague and the first I've heard of said issue.

I'd be more concerned with malware and checking drivers and configs if you're seeing that.

I should have specified it's about the video memory issue.

The game crashes inbetween loading zones or during moments of high graphical process followed by an error message saying there isn't enough video card memory, which is unbelievable as this game ran perfectly fine on this card prior. The issue isn't driver or malware related; I've done a forum search and it seems a number of users have encountered a similar video memory leak error fault whether or not their card is sufficient.
  • Options
    florghhhflorghhh Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So wait.... hold the phones...

Does this mean my severe crisis about my computer crashing is a false positive? as i assumed my graphic card was dying or some hardware failure, or even possibly software (which is odd since i've done no recent updates)

going into more detail about what i experienced. on saturday, in my time zone GMT+10, around 2am, when i was trying to play CO, for a while, i had no issue, but then i started getting problems, so i turned my video settings down to the very minimum. since i was planning ahead for takofanes, then my entire screen had a bout a half second of going black, then it restores, for a second before it has yellow lines going down vertically across my screen. before finally going to display "no signal" message then turning off, and then my keyboard and mouse are rendered inoperable (i tested by trying to turn on/off capslock to check the green light, it didn't move)

So, is this actually a result of this supposed memory leak then? And if so, can it risk damaging anything? Because i never had this problem till this week, and then even when i amplaying a different game, i had the same issue which has never happened before, and i'm not sure if it's coincedence, or whether or not it's even possible to recieve damage that can further make this problem occur.

I first assumed it was my computer that had a problem, but then i heard in zone chat, that there was something wrong in relation to nvidia, which is what i have, i think. But i didn't understand how it was relevant so i've been spending ages doing system restores back and forth and no luck.

Anyone happen to have an answer? Most importantly, i need to know if it is possible for devices to get damaged from memory leaks or w/e so i have some idea of what's wrong to work on fixing my computer, because i'm doing to get back into CO as i only have 7 days of gold left
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    florghhh wrote: »
    then my entire screen had a bout a half second of going black, then it restores, for a second before it has yellow lines going down vertically across my screen. before finally going to display "no signal" message then turning off, and then my keyboard and mouse are rendered inoperable (i tested by trying to turn on/off capslock to check the green light, it didn't move)

This sounds very much as if your videocard is maybe going to die, or some other serious
    problems with your hardware.

The memory leak only lets CO crash back to your desktop after longer playtime.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    This sounds very much as if your videocard is maybe going to die, or some other serious
    problems with your hardware.

The memory leak only lets CO crash back to your desktop after longer playtime.

Oh okay, well thanks for that part of info, but i'm still not sure, is it at all possible to receive damage from crashes like this? I'm not trying to say that CO did cause damage, as this computer is 4 years old anyway and needs replacing, but can it die out faster from thigns like a memory leak etc?

How do i repair it?

Edit: i have noticed after trying to paly minecraft, my computer instantly crashed to some blue screen with a lot of text and at the bottom saying dumping physical memory, andc ounting up :S
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh okay, well thanks for that part of info, but i'm still not sure, is it at all possible to receive damage from crashes like this? I'm not trying to say that CO did cause damage, as this computer is 4 years old anyway and needs replacing, but can it die out faster from thigns like a memory leak etc?

How do i repair it?

Edit: i have noticed after trying to paly minecraft, my computer instantly crashed to some blue screen with a lot of text and at the bottom saying dumping physical memory, andc ounting up :S

No .. such crashes don't damage your hardware .. the damaged hardware only leads to crashes.

How to fix it .. hard to say .. often its try and error but for that you need to have other
    hardware parts to replace some .. like for example another video-card.
    Memory can be checked if you have more modules, so that you can maybe remove some
    and look if the problem is still there .. then remove the others and put the ones you first
    remove back.
    Soundcard .. just remove it and try to play without sound, or disable in the bios.

Also remove all cards and memory and put them back into their slots to ensure they
    don't have maybe simply contact problems.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    No .. such crashes don't damage your hardware .. the damaged hardware only leads to crashes.

How to fix it .. hard to say .. often its try and error but for that you need to have other
    hardware parts to replace some .. like for example another video-card.
    Memory can be checked if you have more modules, so that you can maybe remove some
    and look if the problem is still there .. then remove the others and put the ones you first
    remove back.
    Soundcard .. just remove it and try to play without sound, or disable in the bios.

Also remove all cards and memory and put them back into their slots to ensure they
    don't have maybe simply contact problems.

I've never really had to replace a card before :S Is there any tips for how to do it? I don't know what it looks like XD
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I've never really had to replace a card before :S Is there any tips for how to do it? I don't know what it looks like XD

Sorry .. but i don't think a forum is the right place to teach somebody in 5 minutes
    how to repair computers :redface:

So better .. either ask a friend if you know somebody .. or go to a computer shop that they
    should look into it.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    senshibat01senshibat01 Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    edrick wrote: »
    Has this ridiculous garbage been fixed? Has Cryptic acknowledged how much they screwed the pooch with this one?

I literally couldn't play a straight session of the game anymore. Playing Champions has become a chore and a game of Russian roulette as to whether or not I crash when loading in-between zone!

I have the same issue since FTP the source code in Champions Cryptic engine has been ripe with Memory leaks Bill Roper talked about fixing years ago.. These memory leak messages do not come up in STO.. with the Cryptic engine and more Staff Focus...

until Neverwinter came along to get all the shinnies. its the way you use Windows Direct X with your DEV Tools.. something in there just isn't flagged properly for a detailed QA PID
    follow up.

96% or More of my Error Ticket reports i send in get a Failed Minin dump no receipt foudn message and a full dump ties up pc for 1 hour plus on average.. I'm trying to help you compile data..
    But i dotn beleive you have proper staffign to manage three games in the QA programing Department.