test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sentinel Mastery = What holds?

slowecsl4pweslowecsl4pwe Posts: 221 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Power Discussion
Hi,

I have been playing around with a few of my characters that run in Support and use Sentinel Mastery. I know the 2% Heal is supposed to be triggered by "Stuns/Holds/Paralyzes/Sleeps" according to Dr. Sage's Spec Guide.

Exactly what counts as a hold. Can someone clarify it please? I understand that Sleep and Paralyze trigger it. According to my testing a Root doesn't. According to the Wiki a Root is a crowd control, but not one that triggers the heals from Sentinel Mastery?

If not I have to rework one of my characters that uses Hex of Suffering with it's Advantage that roots an opponent to something else that would work or change my mastery selection.

Thanks

Apathy is on the rise, but nobody seems to care.
Post edited by slowecsl4pwe on

Comments

• piro2genpiro2gen Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sentinel mastery doesn't work on any given crowd control. I didn't tested everything, but it looks like its Stuns/Holds/Paralyzes/Sleeps only, not any CC.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Devs have no consistency at all as to how any CC works.

If the power even has the word "crowd control" attached to it at all then you should consider it broken.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've read in another thread that Ego Storm and Grasping Shadows should work great.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Roots don't count as "holds" for most purposes. There's a few specs that specify roots and holds, though.

Ego Sleep's probably the simplest to fit into a build, as it's cheap, you don't really need to worry about hold strength (since it'll break regardless) and it has a built-in debuff when it's broken. You can also just tap to reapply when it's off cooldown, as the charge just ups the AoE.

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.

Heal Amount: It is 2% of Max HP but it's boosted up for SS. My 13K tank with about 700 SS total gets 668 heal per proc.

Each eligible target may heal only one person per second but you may receive as many heals per second as eligible targets that you can hit. And by hit, I mean any damage you do including DoTs/bleeds/poisons.

(So say you solo and paralyze 5 targets with Grasping Shadows w/Adv, each target will heal you on the DoT so you get 5 heals per second. But you Sleep a second group of 5 and then AoE them. That is 10 procs per second and that's a lot of healing! BTW I hear that Ego Storm's Adv is currently broken - no damage)

Ego Sleep is the one and only 50 ft ranged click I can find that will proc Sentinel Mastery. If you are melee, I would suggest TK Maelstrom though over Ego Sleep.
  • slowecsl4pweslowecsl4pwe Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thank you for the helpful information. I do wish the devs would clear up their definition of holds or at least consolidate them a bit.

I decided to make room in one of my build for 2 holds that should work, Grasping Shadows with the Advantage and Vengeance with the Advantage. At least according to the wiki, these should proc the heals. The original build I was working on was a pet master build and I decided to just go Commander Mastery on that one.

Here is that complete build...

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Scourge
    Level 6: Shrug It Off
    Level 9: Lasting Impression
    Level 12: Quick Recovery
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves
    Level 21: Prodigy

Powers:
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt (Despondency)
    Level 1: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Dark Displacement)
    Level 6: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 8: Seraphim (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 17: Summon Shadows (Rank 2, Devouring Darkness)
    Level 20: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Grasping Shadows (Unyielding Agony)
    Level 29: Vengeance (Rank 2, Redemption Denied)
    Level 32: Redemption
    Level 35: Unbreakable
    Level 38: Compassion

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Phoenix Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Dominion (2/2)
    Presence: Force of Will (1/2)
    Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (1/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Sentinel: Genesis (2/2)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Apathy is on the rise, but nobody seems to care.
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 789 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I forgot one more tip. To maximize your Sentinel Mastery heals (for just your toon) your main attack should be some Maintain with 0.5 sec ticks or (if you have a rapid fire button) a 0.5 sec activation click like Laser Sword.

And just to reiterate, Sentinel Mastery procs only once per target. So if your entire team attacks say a boss, only one member will heal.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,106 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I forgot one more tip. To maximize your Sentinel Mastery heals (for just your toon) your main attack should be some Maintain with 0.5 sec ticks or (if you have a rapid fire button) a 0.5 sec activation click like Laser Sword.

And just to reiterate, Sentinel Mastery procs only once per target. So if your entire team attacks say a boss, only one member will heal.

Um, really? I don't think that is correct.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited July 2012
    warcanch wrote: »
    Well, I actually hope I am wrong. I took that from the description but I haven't been able to test that in a team. I did get a crazy message once that I healed 1,000,000 pts on a brand new level 40 munitions toon in her like 1st Gravitar alert with Sentinel Mastery.

Any confirm?
  • xamikaze01xamikaze01 Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Nope,

Sentinel Mastery heals everyone, including controllable and uncontrollable pets, attacking the target. This Heal effect is related to the max health of the player "2%" and it can only occure once every 1sec for anyone attacking that target when the debuff is on.

Be also aware that Sentinel Mastery doesn't generate threat for yourself unless you are the one healed by its effect. So if a tank with 10K health heals himself for 200 health, because of the debuff, those 200 health will generate threat for the tank instead of the person using the debuff.

Finally the duration of the debuff last 8sec and scale down to 4sec if the affected ennemy is a Super Vilain or higher. And you don't need to succeed a hold to apply the debuff on target.

This skill also work with some special advantages adding stun effects to your target when you hit him. A couple of skills that work well with that mastery : Shadow Bolt (+ advantage), Condemn (+ advantage), Shadow Grasp (+ advantage).
  • sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    warcanch wrote: »

Procs once per target, per attack. Each player's "attack" counts as one attack, so every player gets their own heal ticks from it.

That's how it worked the last I used my main, anyway.

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.

Would Sentinel Aura increase your threat as a tank substantially?

Rejuvenated seems to be bugged...is this true?
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
    edited July 2012
    Well, I guess that explains how I got General Practitioner perk so fast! :biggrin:

BTW you can test Sentinel Mastery heals and know immediately it's for way more that 2% of max health. SS modifies the heal. I have a 900 heal on my 18K HP tank.
    edited July 2012
    Well, I guess that explains how I got General Practitioner perk so fast! :biggrin:

BTW you can test Sentinel Mastery heals and know immediately it's for way more that 2% of max health. SS modifies the heal. I have a 900 heal on my 18K HP tank.

I think you misundertood what I was trying to say. The heal you provide to your allies with Sentinel Mastery aren't heals provided by yourself, unless you are the one healed by its effect. If you look close to the healing ammount granted on your allies you will see some numbers in "Gray" instead of "Green". This means the healing provided to your allies is provided by an external source and will discount for your allies healing perks, not yours.
    edited July 2012
    Don't mean to derail your thread...but I have a couple questions regarding the Sentinel Tree as well.

Would Sentinel Aura increase your threat as a tank substantially?

Rejuvenated seems to be bugged...is this true?

Sentinel Aura does generate threat and will only help you grab aggro of ennemies that haven't been damaged yet in the start of a fight. But it can help any healer that doesn't use any similar kind of power like Medical Nanits, Seraphism or Sentinel Aura.
    edited July 2012
    xamikaze01 wrote: »
    I think you misundertood what I was trying to say. The heal you provide to your allies with Sentinel Mastery aren't heals provided by yourself, unless you are the one healed by its effect. If you look close to the healing ammount granted on your allies you will see some numbers in "Gray" instead of "Green". This means the healing provided to your allies is provided by an external source and will discount for your allies healing perks, not yours.
    I understood what you said but I don't think the Perk system is recognizing that. I got General Practitioner while standing a 100ft away tossing Smoke Grenades and Sniping. I was never once hit by Gravitar so not once was there ever a Green heal for me. I don't think there's another explanation for 1,000,000 pts of heals in a brand new level 40 Sniper.