test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifetime Subscription - Would you buy it if it was on sale?

psytce0002psytce0002 Posts: 56 Arc User
In June Cryptic had the lifetime subscriptions for Star Trek Online on sale. At that time, and before the merge, I asked if they were also going to put Champions Online's LTS on sale and got no answer.

I would just like to see how many people would buy an LTS if they had the same sale as they just had for Star Trek ....

So would you buy an LTS if it was on sale? I know I would ........
Post edited by psytce0002 on

Comments

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    In June Cryptic had the lifetime subscriptions for Star Trek Online on sale. At that time, and before the merge, I asked if they were also going to put Champions Online's LTS on sale and got no answer.

I would just like to see how many people would buy an LTS if they had the same sale as they just had for Star Trek ....

I am pretty sure when the STO lifetimes went on sale, so did the CO lifetimes. So I don't know what you are asking.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am pretty sure when the STO lifetimes went on sale, so did the CO lifetimes. So I don't know what you are asking.

But the thing is, they didn't...

ONLY the STO LTS went on sale; CO's did not...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lokikin wrote: »

Well, I can't look back far enough to find out, because I know there was a news report on the main page about the LTS sale.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In June, STO LTS went on sale in honor of the Starfleet Academy graduating class of 2412.

Over here in CO, however, there was no LTS sale. I had, at the time, speculated that such a sale might have been appropriate here in late July, for the 20th anniversary of the Battle for Detroit, but there has been no official word...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    This is as far as it got...

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=148412&highlight=lifetime

That thread pretty much spanned all of June...

No sale ever occurred...

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also posting to confirm (to the best of my recollection) that it was ONLY Star Trek LTSes that were on sale. I remember seeing a few people complain that it was yet another sign that the Good Ship ChampionsOnline was/is sinking fast. :redface:
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Truth be told? I'm buying one anyway in a month or 2. So, yeah, I would.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Had I and others been treated better in the past 8 months or so, I'd consider it. But now, I'm headed in the opposite direction.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Not "no" but rather "HELLS NO!!!"

This thing isn't likely going to last long enough you see your LTS pay for itself but good luck to you if you like to gamble. :cool:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would buy it for my hubby!! :D

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would only buy an LTS for CO if it was on sale for $15.
  • Options
    youganyougan Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i would like my money back, that happens just as much as the sale.....
  • Options
    smuggl3rsmuggl3r Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nah.

Nothing against champions--fun game so far--but buying a lifetime sub means not being able to vote with my wallet anymore. And who knows if Ill be playing in a year ?
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    A year ago when I bought my LTS and didn't know what I know now? Definitely. Now? Not so much.

I just don't have that much confidence in Cryptic/PW anymore and I have doubts about the future of CO specifically. Too many indicators that they just don't seem to care what happens to this game to see a LTS as a worthy investment.

Its a shame because this game has hands down the BEST, most extensive appearance customization options in a MMO, with freeform system and dynamic combat (except for the targetting and responsiveness, but that's another issue :tongue:), and all around many good qualities. But between the persistent chat-ban issue, the possibility of the upcoming region bans (and the forum bans already in place for players from those regions) and lack of communication, among other things, I just don't have a lot of confidence on this game's future anymore.

EDIT: Also...
    smuggl3r wrote: »
    Nothing against champions--fun game so far--but buying a lifetime sub means not being able to vote with my wallet anymore.

...this^
    When F2P started (Jan 2011) they had LTS on sale for $240. I bought one then and have been more that happy with my purchase so far. The thing I hate about paying a monthly fee is that if I don't play I feel like I'm wasting money, but with the LTS I can play one day, take off for 2 weeks and not feel that I wasted half of my monthly fee. The LTS allows me to enjoy my time here and still take time out to catch up on a lot of PS3 games I may have missed.

With the stipend you get every month it eventually pays for itself.
  • Options
    youganyougan Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    one mistake there, it's freemium not F2P.
    freemium=an MMO that has a free part but offers a subscription to unlock all the limits
    F2P=an MMO without any subscription that lives solely on an online store.
    B2P=an MMO that you buy ones and never have to pay again, a life time sub doesn't count here.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    People have been doomsaying this game for the last 2 years. Have some faith. :)

As it is, I've dumped enough money into this game for 2 ltses. Been playing since beta. At least there's new content to keep people active, we haven't had that for quite a while. Plus, the whole game just got a revamp, and it's more newbie friendly.

The problem with voting with your wallet, is that if you already feel they're not paying enough attention to the game? Not making money off it will make them pay even less. But, I've been gone for 6 months, I see all the changes they've put in. There are quite a few, I barely even recognize it anymore. It's more new and revamped content than I've seen in an mmo since cataclysm. It pulled me back in, I'll say that much.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lokikin wrote: »

They did go on sale once, for $250, but that was a while ago. I was very upset.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    pion01 wrote: »

They did go on sale once, for $250, but that was a while ago. I was very upset.

Yeah, I remember. Hadn't you just bought yours at full price a shortly before they went on sale?

I was referring to recently, since the OP had specifically mentioned this past June...

Laws yes!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No, i wouldn't and would not recomended any of my friends.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would, finances willing.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No.

I actively advise friends to wait on never winter till its meta critic rating is revealed.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Guys,

It was only the STO LTS that was on sale in June ...... Trust me because if Champions had been on sale at that time I would not have written this post. .....

I have been playing this game since the winter event, and in that time they have not had a LTS sale. I''m hoping that they do have a sale so that I can afford to purchase it, but at its current price it is just a little too much for me to swing.... I was lucky and found a 60 timecard for $10 to get me through the next 60 days, but after that I may have no choice but to go Silver because unless there is a sale on the LTS soon(tm) I will have no choice but to go silver and try to save up the extra $$$. but we all know how that goes, I'll be saving up and a different expense will come up and there goes the LTS I could have gotten .......

Please have a sale soon so I can get the LTS, before a different expense comes up and the $$$ I have saved goes away......
  • Options
    emliquidemliquid Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The question is, do I plan on playing this game long enough to make the LTS possible? I don't think so. I really enjoy the game, but it just feels dead. It has a low player base, no pvp, and it seems the zones have less ppl every time I log on. Its a gamble at this point.
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    no.

/10 chars
  • Options
    stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I got mine in a 1 day sale, although I had planned to get one at that point anyway. Probably would have motivated me to either way.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
  • Options
    darknoxxdarknoxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm sorry but cryptics got enough money out of me as it is , and really NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ....... *Continues until the end of time*
  • Options
    opalflameopalflame Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was planning on getting an LTS a few months ago, but now my answer is no. It just doesn't really seem worth it anymore.
    Ink@Opalsky in game
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hell no.

I'm enjoying stealing gametime from them with my one character and not paying.. i'm at 973 days of playtime (on this account) and refuse to hit 1000 out of pure spite.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Forums: Because nobody ever comes to them if they're happy and playing.

I always forget this fact.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    ziploc332ziploc332 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Considering this game won't stay alive for another year, it would be cheaper to just pay monthly for a while.

I know that may not make sense, but I've seen companies go quiet like this a lot. Huxley, Divine Souls, Blackshot, STALKER 2, you name it. Every time the developers go quiet, it's time to pack up so it's not a big shock when they say to move out.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2012

No, I would not. And not because I already have one...

I've been coming here for years while I was happily playing. So has Stjobe...and Supercollide...and Smackwell...and Farmer...and Blakerefuge...and...

Also, the last LTS sale STO had...CO did not get a sale that time. Two sales ago CO did, the last one CO did not.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012

The game is very much like a private server now. No real development, no communication
    anymore. I have the feeling there is just one Dev leftover for CO and thats it, and maybe
    they wait to look how hard the impact from GW2 will be .. and if they can shut the game
    down, or let it run further just with maybe a reboot of the server now and then.

So the answer is : NO :frown:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've got a Lifetime, bought it back in beta. However, if I didn't... no, I wouldn't buy one. I don't think this game's even on lifesupport- it feels like it's got a skeleton crew of developers. And when was the last time you saw a GM?

Honestly, I'll be more than a little surprised if it's still going a year from now.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I consider the forums to be a completly different game, but still based in CO!!! :D

is this the end game?

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    smuggl3rsmuggl3r Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I dunno bout that.

Seen plenty of people saying good things here. Know that Im enjoying the game. Not as serious as some games, less immersion I guess, but fun enough....what else do ya need ?
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was strongly leaning toward it before On Alert. Then it was kind of iffy. The way this final integration's been handled and what I'm seeing since OA broke?

No.

No way.

No _______ way.
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    spellchekcspellchekc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    The game is very much like a private server now. No real development, no communication
    anymore. I have the feeling there is just one Dev leftover for CO and thats it, and maybe
    they wait to look how hard the impact from GW2 will be .. and if they can shut the game
    down, or let it run further just with maybe a reboot of the server now and then.

So the answer is : NO :frown:

Yup, pretty much this
    August 28th!
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm a LTS member here, hell I even recently bought *another* Lifetime sub...

Oh wait, that was to The Secret World. :P

Buying a lifetime sub here would be a bad investment at this time. I'm glad I got mine, and I had more than enough fun with it, but I don't think anyone buying today would have the same opportunity.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    vikaernes wrote: »
    I'm a LTS member here, hell I even recently bought *another* Lifetime sub...

Oh wait, that was to The Secret World. :P

Buying a lifetime sub here would be a bad investment at this time. I'm glad I got mine, and I had more than enough fun with it, but I don't think anyone buying today would have the same opportunity.

I've actually been tempted to buy a LTS on TSW. If only they didn't lock all the cool clothing items in the cash store and charge us more than just about any other game does for them, and then make them character-specific, non-recolorable, and made us buy each color separately...

You can actually end up paying more than the monthly sub price on TSW on clothing items for just one character alone.
    I've actually been tempted to buy a LTS on TSW. If only they didn't lock all the cool clothing items in the cash store and charge us more than just about any other game does for them, and then make them character-specific, non-recolorable, and made us buy each color separately...

You can actually end up paying more than the monthly sub price on TSW on clothing items for just one character alone.

Werd. There's so much good about that game, but there's so much mediocrity at the same time.

Still the good outweighs the bad by enough that an LTS is worth buying.
  • Options
    ethanmorriganethanmorrigan Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I bought my LTS 6 after 6 months playing, first i was unsure if i may regret the buy one day but now i know i did it right. I love having unlimited freeform and my nice stipend every month.

And not to forget the LTS unique costume pieces like the Exclusive Art Deco stuff.

Formerly known as Rei_Kisagi

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The thing that concerns me about doing so isn't so much the player base, I've seen it fluctuate wildly in my years playing. It's more the amount of promises we get vs meaty content. I stopped playing for 6 months, came back, and we're STILL talking about lair revamps. It seems the mantra is "add a new feature once in a while, because that's easier than fixing the stuff we already have". I can get it, from a business standpoint, but 300 bucks is a lot of money to dump into a game that's not seeing a lot of active improvement.

I'm seriously considering it, but some of the systems that are in place now are giving me pause. Not the least of which: The fact that you can now just farm zen, or do surveys, and not spend a penny. How exactly does that help turn a profit and keep the game going? That mixed with the "blow 5 minutes doing this thing, then go over here and do this for 5 minutes. Oh, by the way, you're level 30. Deal with it." mindset that seems to have taken over in lieu of lairs and other longer mission chains... I don't wanna buy an LTS to what might turn into a facebook game. I don't really agree with the thought that the game won't last another year. Hell, I heard that 3 years ago and we're still going. But, when the new and "exciting" content is another roxstar scavenger hunt to unlock the ability to turn yourself into a 2 year old costume set? Yeah, not so much.

I guess I'm gonna have to change my answer to "Probably, but they'll have to actually make new content that isn't just another alert that I can't even use my level 40 character properly in". Either some new *real* content comes in, or they put in level 40 alerts that don't nerf my endgame characters? Sure, totally. I have that money waiting. At this point it's almost a thank you for the years of fun this game has provided, but I can't see doing so if the only content anyone actually does anymore limits my character so far below cap.

However, that sidekick system actually makes it live? I'll tear a hole in space time and get an LTS 5 years before the game was even released. That's a feature I don't know exists in any superhero mmo to date, the idea of it is *fantastic*.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's more the amount of promises we get vs meaty content. I stopped playing for 6 months, came back, and we're STILL talking about lair revamps. It seems the mantra is "add a new feature once in a while, because that's easier than fixing the stuff we already have".

This is precisely why I posted the answer I did earlier in the thread...

Precisely.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sidenote, Kenpo, glad to see you're still around. :) I gather a bunch of the old regulars dropped off, it's good to see some are still around.

I mostly posted what I did because of the huge disparity between that until report and what content we've actually seen recently. I wish more of the dev team would pop on here, even to bs, to let us know we still get some love. 's why tumer was awesome, because he was a constant presence that reassured we still get attention.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Paid for my LTS after my first lvl 40 F2P inferno AT. After almost 1.5 years I am still playing, just this one and only MMO. Perhaps I am not exposed to more and better options but I think that there are some changes but not major changes that people will view as something really new. The OA revision to gear, spec trees etc is quite a major change but because in terms of content this is not as visible a change it gets overlooked and what more with some bugs unfixed this cause more dissatisfaction.

However, end of the day, if the sale is really at a good price I may consider getting another LTS for friend/s to get them to play. I guess with a larger player base it will mean more profits which can in turn be channeled back into game development. This game is definitely not dying because why bother with the changes if they intend to close it down. When PW took over, they could jolly well just close it there and then. However, I am sure there are certain things which PW required the devs in cryptic to put in place as revenue churner. Subsequently, hopefully we can see deilvery of the promises we see in the UNTIL field reports.

Finally, I also wish they could have moderators and devs who are more responsive to the feedback in forums. Be it a no, we will not implement because blah blah blah, or yes but not in the next few months, or certainly within the next few weeks. More communication will hopefully reduce misunderstanding. Then again, there will always be complains.
  • Options
    citybuildercitybuilder Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Since they can't give a specific time frame that the game will remain available to play (and I understand why), I'd have to say no. $300.00 is a lot of money to invest in an MMO that you don't know will be around for 4 more weeks or 40 years.

I have a lifetime founders account to LOTRO, and I have to say that even with the monthly turbine points that they give lifer founder accounts it still steams my clams that I payed $300.00 for a life account and then see them go to a F2P game model. Sure it's probably what has kept them going, but still down deep it feels in a way like I was ripped off.

Really they should have given not only the monthly points but all future expansion packs to those that hold the lifetime founders accounts, but I digress as that's lotro and not CO.

So, No, I guess I would not buy a lifetime account to CO as they don't seem to be really active in development and theres no way to really know how well the game is doing and hence how long it will really still be available for us to play it. 4 days, 4 years, nobody knows, not even PW until the time comes for them to do something.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    well, I just forked out the money, so there should be a sale on soon for a LTS at a lot less. 8 more character slots......bwahahaha. I [played WOW and left becasue of the elitist jerk infestation. PLayed Rift for a while but this is much better. certainly the zone chat is better..... well except the grond jokes. they're just as bad

Because I like this colour , thats why
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I bought my LTS just over a year ago and I'm prefectly happy that I did.

Would I buy one now?

If I listened to hue and cry on the forums : NO

If I just played the game : YES

:wink:

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Would I buy one now?

If I listened to hue and cry on the forums : NO

If I just played the game : YES

I like the cut of your jib.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine