test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Travel Power: Animal Morph

elfringselfrings Posts: 53 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Suggestions Box
It's essentially Acrobatics/Athletics, but your character morphs into an animal (chosen from a pull-down menu in the powers window.) As your rank increases, your list of animal shapes to chose from also increases. When you enter combat, your character is forced to morph back into usual form, but automatically changes back to animal form several seconds after the fighting is done.

Or... maybe two similar powers... the one above would be called Animal Run, another would be Animal Flight in which you're able to morph into a flying animal. Similar to Bat Flight, except you're just turning into a large, singular flying creature.

And while on the subject... Bat Flight needs to be changed a bit. If you're attacked, you can't fight back or defend yourself without canceling the travel power. Perhaps for Bat Flight and my Animal Flight suggestion, combat forces you to return to your usual form but with a pair of wings keeping you aloft until you can fully morph back. Bat Wings for Bat Flight, of course, Bird Wings for Animal Flight... unless the animal selected has more bat-like wings.....
`

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by elfrings on

Comments

• rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This has been suggested more times than I can count before. And the answers was always the same so far:
    No non-human morphing. Creature models have a very restricted set of animations that is not even close to supporting all kinds of powers.

Also, why would one want this to be only a travel power?
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This has been suggested more times than I can count before. And the answers was always the same so far:
    No non-human morphing. Creature models have a very restricted set of animations that is not even close to supporting all kinds of powers.

Mostly because CoH has it that way. It would be cool though. Could add that extra flare people wants, but I doubt they would give a drop down menu for people to choose their form. More like they would have to choose the form they want through a few choices.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • icegodzilla777icegodzilla777 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    would be cool if they did this, but i also doubt they would put in the drop menu

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it would be cool if they did something like this,I mean CoH did it,why cant CO?.

/Signed if it can be done.
  • theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    it would be cool if they did something like this,I mean CoH did it,why cant CO?.

i follow the same logic, if it can eb done, please do it
    /signed
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »

It can be done, it would basically be a model swap, much like the current become devices or bat flight.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It can be done, it would basically be a model swap, much like the current become devices or bat flight.

Exactly so.

It would be interesting to see the same done as a lunge power so that a character in combat could periodically demonstrate this ability, even if only for a split second.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • elfringselfrings Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    would be cool if they did this, but i also doubt they would put in the drop menu

True. More likely you'd have to pay CP for each animal form. lol But you never know. Sometimes developers can be unusually kind... #sweet-talking lol

_
    `

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012

Running/travel is a very simple animation. All creature models have it or they wouldn't even be in the game. If you'll notice the title and content of the suggestion, at no point is it being suggested that players morph and then be able to use their powers. It's suggested they morph and move, and then forced morph back to humanoid in order to use their powers. Very simple. All basic programming for this already exists in the game.

Also, you may notice at no point did I ever say 'morphing should be introduced but ONLY for travel powers.' Morph is a powerset in the original source books which I'd love to see incorporated into the game. But this idea would be the easiest and most likely incarnation to date. You can morph into bats & puddles of goo. Why not other things?

The idea for this came to mind while playing my ninja-like tiger mutant character and trying to decide on a 2nd travel power for her. I can't really decide on one other than Athletics which fits her, but having a 2nd power which allows her to change form could work. But not into bats or ooze.

_
    `

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Animal forms I would like to see - primarily - are felines and canines. But bears & dinos would be cool too, I suppose, and probably inevitable anyway. Any other animal forms...? Deer? Kangaroos? lol
    `

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    elfrings wrote: »
    Animal forms I would like to see - primarily - are felines and canines. But bears & dinos would be cool too, I suppose, and probably inevitable anyway. Any other animal forms...? Deer? Kangaroos? lol

The creature models we have so far are:
    * Wolf
    * Bear
    * Raptor (with 3 head options and many other optional parts)
    * Hellhound (also with optional pieces)
    * Cur ("reverse werewolf")
    * Worm
    * Qularr Bug (there is also an old version without a "tail")
    * Teleiosaurus (different from the Raptor model)
    * Gorilla (Yes, Qwyjibo does not use the human body)
    * Shark (the White Shark just has his body mass increased)
    * Hammerhead Shark
    * Barracuda
    * Anglerfish

Not counting swarms, simple models like birds and small fish, robots and Grondlings.
    A cat was promised, but it's appearantly stuck in development hell.
    edited July 2012
    ...I WANT a kangaroo!! lol
    `

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]