test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Drastic Overhaul Suggestions

qwizardqwizard Posts: 5 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Suggestions Box
In the past with other games, I have made very long essays justifying my very drastic suggestions to games. I have found that the length and thoroughness of my reasoning has never had any bearing on the chances that it is considered. Also, no matter how well reasoned, people constantly misunderstand. I am not making suggestions because the game is too hard, I am making these suggestions because the game is boring and uninteresting, not only to myself but to everyone I try to introduce to the game. I am tired of apologizing for these problems, and feel that addressing them will make it much easier for players to recommend this game for more than the great if aging character creator.

I am going to save time by just listing my suggestions, followed by the problem I feel it solves. Feel free to find your own reasons for why they would be an improvement or a step back.

1. NPC Henchmen/Mobs should only damage Energy.
Problem Solved: Chunky combat. Mostly a problem at lower levels, combat is "Fight 3 guys, catch your breath, Fight 3 guys, catch your breath, Fight 3 guys, catch your breath." This gets really boring really fast.

2. NPC Henchmen/Mob XP should be Quadrupled.
Problem Solved: Combat is unrewarding. The combat can be fun, but fighting the same 3 guys over and over again with the same 3-4 abilities and getting 60xp and bracers of Charisma +5 each time is like pulling teeth.

3. The Nemesis System should start at Level 6.
Problem Solved: Uninteresting Lore and context. The vast majority of the world doesn't know who Albert Zerstoiten is and doesn't flipping care about Defender's struggle. I want my Hero to start his own story immediately.

4. Double the XP missions give.
Problem Solved: Small Ability Set. You already have very few abilities at any one time with your character, a dragged out character progression just compounds the glaring problem with this game system.

5. Let Silver players choose the color of their powers.
Problem Solved: Lack of Silver Creativity. Silver players are already in the Archetype ghetto, at least let them have the ability to choose the color of their blasts. This entire design choice just seemed spiteful from the get go.

6. Give Archetypes one other role/build type.
Problem Solved: Squishy Silver players. Silver players that aren't playing a tank or support archetype end up dead disproportionately often. If these heavy damage archetypes could start with slightly more defensive options at an early level, and then grow into a heavy damage role at the late levels, more silver players might stick around.

7. Give Archetypes a secondary slotted Passive power.
Problem Solved: Squishy Silver players. Basically tying into #6. If the melee or ranged archetypes started with a more defensive passive first, and then unlocked the damage bonus passive second, these archetypes would be easier in the lower levels where everyone's damage is practically the same.

8. Swap "Murder" with "Arrest".
Problem Solved: Nonheroic Heroes. Instead of falling into a pool of their own blood, crying for mommy, the henchman and other badguys should just drop to the ground and put their hands behind their back, as though they had handcuffs, when defeated.

9. Swap "Death" with "Capture".
Problem Solved: Dead Heroes. Instead of of falling to the ground, dead, downed heroes should be shown with arms and legs tied up, and their "resurrection" is just them escaping captivity.

That is all. I want to point out that this list had a 10th point on it, but you already made Adventure packs free, so now the game actually feels like it has some quality content Thank you for that, and thank you for reading my suggestions.
Post edited by qwizard on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    qwizard wrote: »
    Problem Solved: Chunky combat. Mostly a problem at lower levels, combat is "Fight 3 guys, catch your breath, Fight 3 guys, catch your breath, Fight 3 guys, catch your breath." This gets really boring really fast.
    The current system is fine as is. There are consumables you can buy to speed up your health recovery and you pretty much restore to full health between combat fights near instantly.
    Problem Solved: Combat is unrewarding. The combat can be fun, but fighting the same 3 guys over and over again with the same 3-4 abilities and getting 60xp and bracers of Charisma +5 each time is like pulling teeth.
    Quadrupled? No, increased, maybe. Definitely for teams to encourage teaming.
    Problem Solved: Uninteresting Lore and context. The vast majority of the world doesn't know who Albert Zerstoiten is and doesn't flipping care about Defender's struggle. I want my Hero to start his own story immediately.
    The Nemesis system needs to be expanded first, especially since several missions require you go to zones that your character may not be ready for at that point.
    Problem Solved: Small Ability Set. You already have very few abilities at any one time with your character, a dragged out character progression just compounds the glaring problem with this game system.
    Absolutely not needed.
    Problem Solved: Lack of Silver Creativity. Silver players are already in the Archetype ghetto, at least let them have the ability to choose the color of their blasts. This entire design choice just seemed spiteful from the get go.
    Power tinting is one of the few things golds actually have. If you want to color your powers, go gold and show support to the game.
    Problem Solved: Squishy Silver players. Silver players that aren't playing a tank or support archetype end up dead disproportionately often. If these heavy damage archetypes could start with slightly more defensive options at an early level, and then grow into a heavy damage role at the late levels, more silver players might stick around.
    Freeforms don't even have dual builds at the time. It would help broaden things for characters. Another role option would be a good idea, but more powers for different roles wouldn't. But again, this goes back to if you want this you should go gold.
    Problem Solved: Squishy Silver players. Basically tying into #6. If the melee or ranged archetypes started with a more defensive passive first, and then unlocked the damage bonus passive second, these archetypes would be easier in the lower levels where everyone's damage is practically the same.
    It costs freeforms a power slot to get a second power passive. Again, tif you want to have more than one passive, go gold and support the game.
    Problem Solved: Nonheroic Heroes. Instead of falling into a pool of their own blood, crying for mommy, the henchman and other badguys should just drop to the ground and put their hands behind their back, as though they had handcuffs, when defeated.
    It's up to you to decide if you are "murdering" or "arresting" criminals. Context of the game assumes you are arresting or incapacitating them at the very least.
    Problem Solved: Dead Heroes. Instead of of falling to the ground, dead, downed heroes should be shown with arms and legs tied up, and their "resurrection" is just them escaping captivity.
    Villains aren't as nice as heroes, most of the time. Furthermore this is pretty much the only death penalty the game actually has, at this time. Again it is implied you are incapacitated, not actually killed, when defeated.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What this 'Drastic Overhaul' is missing is 'The Content' to actually do this....
    And since we're still on Champions Online: On Review we don't need another 'Overhaul'.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wow, another full rebuild? That's exactly what we need!

Its not like we haven't had that one already, like in the last 4 months or anything. :rolleyes:
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »

Its not like we haven't had that one already, like in the last 4 months or anything. :rolleyes:

Yepp .. more system overhauls are much more important than something lame like for
    example .. a new Zone :eek:

Also .. we really need a new revamp of Westside .. and maybe also a revamp of all zones
    where you could do more than 1 quest at the same time, and turn them all into very long
    instancend quest .. just like what they did with Brains behind the Breakout .. and now also
    with the last Quest in Canada Crisis before you go after Rakasha :rolleyes:

Ahh .. and of course .. more Alerts .. looooong Alerts that give now reward but took
    hours to finish of course :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • qwizardqwizard Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The current system is fine as is. There are consumables you can buy to speed up your health recovery and you pretty much restore to full health between combat fights near instantly.

That is not fine. Unless my character is "The Alchemist" I don't want to quaff restorations just to keep going punching every henchman and his mother. It is not instant recovery, you're always spending some time looking at the next bunch of dolts waiting for the last bit of health to regen.

It doesn't even make sense than enemies in the same room don't immediately gang up on you. If Henchman couldn't directly kill you, just severely hamper you until dealt with, the AI for them could be smarter, a roomful of guys could help each other out, Villains that are leaders of armies could actually use their power and call in henchman without directly threatening the health of the player,and it wouldn't be any different than how it is now.

The only difference is that I get to dictate the pace and the intensity, rather than the game dictating it at me.
    Quadrupled? No, increased, maybe. Definitely for teams to encourage teaming.

We agree, I just exaggerated for effect.
    The Nemesis system needs to be expanded first, especially since several missions require you go to zones that your character may not be ready for at that point.

Replace Kevin Poe, Frank Zarretti, Zoe Loft, Hi Pan, and Ludwig with your nemeses. Suddenly those quests are more interesting because instead of facing some boring, generic, and goofy looking nobodies, you face some one you know because you created them. Also, the early game would become less bland and samey with multiple characters, every new play through of these early missions would be fresh because it will feature new villains, with new minions and motivations. The regular gang members can hang around the city as mercenaries for your Nemesis.
    Absolutely not needed.

I think you misunderstood. I don't mean every single missions, like the major ones that feature boss battles, or adventure packs, or nemesis missions. I mean the generic world ones, that tend to connect those together. They don't feature good writing or anything substantial, and most don't even offer item rewards. These missions are boring time sinks, and if the game is going to waste my time, I want to be fairly compensated. A minute of boredom in a product specifically designed to entertain is something you always SHOULD complain about, and just accepting it is a habit you should break.
    Power tinting is one of the few things golds actually have. If you want to color your powers, go gold and show support to the game.

What? Are you serious? We have more costume slots, 8 freeform character slots, access to all archetypes, and our characters all have 2 more powers per character than silver players get. I think that is enough to make a person want to go gold or buy a freeform character slot. Not letting them change "The Mind" power color from hot pink is basically a middle finger to any player just trying out the game.

I have had so many friends turn their back on the game at that point, that this the straw that broke the camels back. They don't want to stick around if that is how they get treated.
    Freeforms don't even have dual builds at the time. It would help broaden things for characters. Another role option would be a good idea, but more powers for different roles wouldn't. But again, this goes back to if you want this you should go gold.

Freeform characters get 2 more powers. This means that they could choose to use one of their extra power selections as a back up build, have a a passive power that is defensive in reserve. It's not a popular choice for Gold players, because they already have plenty of choices if their powerset runs up against a brick wall. For low level characters, people who MIGHT become future paying customers, it could be a great aid, if their damage oriented archetype had a defensive passive buff while leveling.
    It costs freeforms a power slot to get a second power passive. Again, tif you want to have more than one passive, go gold and support the game.

The power isn't always active, if that is what you are worried about. They either have the defensive passive slotted, OR they get their offensive passive slotted. This really helps out at low levels, because the bonus damage isnt that great at low levels, and it would help these players get over the leveling hump. If they don't do that, they leave, and a potential new player is lost.

They don't want to go gold because the game demonstrated its complete and utter contempt for them just trying to play the game. These problems have basically made Silver members play a completely different Champions Online than a Gold member plays, and it isn't an impression that makes them want to stick around.
    It's up to you to decide if you are "murdering" or "arresting" criminals. Context of the game assumes you are arresting or incapacitating them at the very least.

Yeah, the context is already peaceful, but can use a little more visual help. A drop down selection for how your enemies should be defeated, similar to choosing power color, could be good. You could pick tied up, face down, or exploded into gibs!
    Villains aren't as nice as heroes, most of the time. Furthermore this is pretty much the only death penalty the game actually has, at this time. Again it is implied you are incapacitated, not actually killed, when defeated.

The Death penalty is the same, it's just I want to see a different animation for it. Our characters are heroes, they deserve a different animation. They could move the spawns into dead end rooms with some guards you pummel to escape, and I'm sold.

Its not like we haven't had that one already, like in the last 4 months or anything.
    In what flipping world is this even a real response? I don't expect them to do everything on this list. And if they did, I don't expect them to do it tomorrow. It's not like they're going to run out of time to implement anything, anything at all! If the new lead said "Let us replace all Viper soldiers with penguins!" It may take another 4 months, but it will happen!

I think you missed the word "Suggestions" in the topic title.
    What this 'Drastic Overhaul' is missing is 'The Content' to actually do this....
    And since we're still on Champions Online: On Review we don't need another 'Overhaul'.
    What content needs to be added? Besides perhaps the changes to the Nemesis missions, all my suggestions are just reorganizations of current content. I am not saying these are quick changes, but they aren't exactly requiring a new novel added to the game.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It doesn't even make sense than enemies in the same room don't immediately gang up on you. If Henchman couldn't directly kill you, just severely hamper you until dealt with, the AI for them could be smarter, a roomful of guys could help each other out, Villains that are leaders of armies could actually use their power and call in henchman without directly threatening the health of the player,and it wouldn't be any different than how it is now.

That is exactly what Kevin Poe does in Purple Reign. As soon as the video sequence is over, he and every add in the room imediately charge at you.
    edited July 2012
    That is exactly what Kevin Poe does in Purple Reign. As soon as the video sequence is over, he and every add in the room imediately charge at you.

Yes, but that doesn't happen in rooms without a Villain. Basically any room where you kill one group of enemies in full view of another group of enemies could be improved by this mechanic.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, but that doesn't happen in rooms without a Villain. Basically any room where you kill one group of enemies in full view of another group of enemies could be improved by this mechanic.

Yeah .. every squishy AT without any selfheal would really love if they always have to deal
    with 10 mobs at the time. Oh .. and what is in the open World ? Should all Mobs aggro
    you already that are in 500 ft range .. because they should see you in the real world ?
    R607qMf.jpg
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In the past with other games, I have made very long essays justifying my very drastic suggestions to games. I have found that the length and thoroughness of my reasoning has never had any bearing on the chances that it is considered. Also, no matter how well reasoned, people constantly misunderstand. I am not making suggestions because the game is too hard, I am making these suggestions because the game is boring and uninteresting, not only to myself but to everyone I try to introduce to the game. I am tired of apologizing for these problems, and feel that addressing them will make it much easier for players to recommend this game for more than the great if aging character creator.

I am going to save time by just listing my suggestions, followed by the problem I feel it solves. Feel free to find your own reasons for why they would be an improvement or a step back.

Energy denial doesn't address your concern. Not being able to fight, running your Energy Builder or Blocking for a larger percentage of all combats, because you lack the energy to fuel your powers is not likely to be less boring than taking a couple of seconds to recover your END after a fight. To be honest I am not sure why you would need to, "catch your breath," after fighting a mere handful of opponents in a game where the characters can generate a net enregy gain by attacking.

I am not sure about quadrupling 'kill' xp, but an increase so that those who enjoy leveling through "streetsweeping" can do so seems like a good idea to me as well.

A perfectly reasonable suggestion, but would take a significant amount of work (I think) due to mission placement. Worth it in the long run IMO.

Agreed for AP's and Comic Series...disagree otherwise.

This one bugs me to no end. Giving someone the ability to play 100% of the content of the game, use 85% of the costume pieces available to subscribers, and so on, for FREE, while withholding a minor cosmetic option as a benefit for subscription is being spiteful ? Seriously ?

Completely disagree. If someone chooses to play a squishy character let them. If they want a non-squishy character such are available...for free. Also available, without subscribing, are Freeform character slots (also potentially free). Someone who is interested in a non squishy version of a normally squishy AT has options.

That said, I do agree with the underlying concept that you seem to be going for. I would rather that one of the power choices for an AT always be its passive. I argued for this in the FtP beta. Let the Avalanche decide between Ice Form and Invuln as one of his two choices.

Again I disagree. See my response to #6.

What problem ? What is really fixed by having the bad guys fall to the ground and put their hands behind their heads rather than just fall to the ground ? Perhaps you are playing a different game than I have as I do not recall seeing many henchmen lying in pools of blood crying for their mommies.

Heroes don't currently fall to the ground dead. They are temporarily defeated and have to recover to get back into the fight.

That is all. I want to point out that this list had a 10th point on it, but you already made Adventure packs free, so now the game actually feels like it has some quality content Thank you for that, and thank you for reading my suggestions.

Responses in lovely lime

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited July 2012

For the nemesis system it really does need to start at a lower level instead of 25.It would be nice for missions to give more seeing as how smash alerts just give 20K experience per alert.For the color thing,it would be nice for silvers to have that,but now its the only thing golds have besides the stipend.As for the archetypes having 2 role builds,this was suggested before in the form of a mirror AT,which is the opposite role of the regular AT,such as a tank being made into a offensive build,Which is needed because alot of new players dont tank.And for the last 2 animation changes it does make sense because,well your a hero and u go around killing gangs for the fun of it doesnt really fit the game.For the capture thing,I wouldn't see why a supervillain would capture us when they hate us and want to see us dead,but I suppose the gangs would do that,some of them at least.
  • youganyougan Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i could ask a huge overhaul but they could just as much make a new game, it would save time and solves all the problems CO has....which is 80% of the game....:frown:
    edited July 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    Yeah .. every squishy AT without any selfheal would really love if they always have to deal
    with 10 mobs at the time. Oh .. and what is in the open World ? Should all Mobs aggro
    you already that are in 500 ft range .. because they should see you in the real world ?

No, because its not like every soldier in a war will shoot at every passing plane, they have their own crap to deal with. Furthermore that wouldn't be lethal because the suggestion is that henchmen wouldn't deal damage to health, they deal it to energy. If you're not going to at least read the thread, don't post replies.

This one bugs me to no end. Giving someone the ability to play 100% of the content of the game, use 85% of the costume pieces available to subscribers, and so on, for FREE, while withholding a minor cosmetic option as a benefit for subscription is being spiteful ? Seriously ?

I know this is surprising, but new players don't see all that amazing content. They just see an arbitrary limitation that makes their character look goofy. This does not endear the game to new players, and attracting new players is the whole reason a game goes free to play.

I am laying this suggestion out there, because on top of having limited power selection, where the first 20 levels of the game they will only see about 5-6 powers, they have be content with a color palette entirely contrary to the character they created.

It is spiteful because it looks like they had to go to extra effort to deprive players of this customization option. The selection system was already there, they just had to leave it be and implement archetypes. Instead, they looked at this minor, tiny, insignificant feature(that nevertheless subtly defines a character visually) and took it out completely. It might have been a good idea to calm the anger from the subscribers present when the game went free to play, but it does more damage to new players impression of the game, and their impression of its developers.

And are you really paying for a subscription just to color your powers? Is that really what people think they are getting from a subscription? I mean, Gold has been demonstrated to be a lot cheaper than buying everything gold members get from the store, both time-wise and in many cases money-wise.

You don't need to worry, nobody can get anything from the C-Store without buying Zen/cp. All the cryptic points on the exchange had to be bought first. Nothing is free, and if a silver player gets enough cryptic points from the exchange to get a Freeform character slot, rest assured that Cryptic was compensated and the game supported.
    Completely disagree. If someone chooses to play a squishy character let them. If they want a non-squishy character such are available...for free. Also available, without subscribing, are Freeform character slots (also potentially free). Someone who is interested in a non squishy version of a normally squishy AT has options.

That said, I do agree with the underlying concept that you seem to be going for. I would rather that one of the power choices for an AT always be its passive. I argued for this in the FtP beta. Let the Avalanche decide between Ice Form and Invuln as one of his two choices.

Okay, you're kind of split there. Let me clarify because I think people aren't getting me on this point. #6 and #7 are about selecting a slotted passive during level up/training. At the same time, selecting a similar role during the selection of their slotted passive.

I don't mean that a tank could then switch to melee. The step would always be between their MAIN role, such as tank or melee, and the generic role, Hybrid. And the Hybrid classes wouldn't need a secondary role, they can already use either slotted passive without changing roles. Let me reiterate, this all takes place during training.

This has a lot of advantages. Players who find they are too squishy can choose to customize their character for more staying power. It lets characters who find it takes half an hour to get through three guys a chance to increase firepower. It lets players make this choice without having to delete their character and select a new archetype. It gives players a meaningful choice, and gives them a small taste of the choices that Gold players get to make. It makes the roles more clearly apparent, their effect on the character and why archetypes are built the way they are. How weaker some of their specialized abilities are when in the generic role versus their specialized role.
    What problem ? What is really fixed by having the bad guys fall to the ground and put their hands behind their heads rather than just fall to the ground ? Perhaps you are playing a different game than I have as I do not recall seeing many henchmen lying in pools of blood crying for their mommies.

Heroes don't currently fall to the ground dead. They are temporarily defeated and have to recover to get back into the fight.

It's a problem of contrasting themes and mechanics. Good games have the mechanics support the theme. Bad games make them entire separate to the detriment of both.
    It's the same problem that Star Trek Online has, where the Federation is all about peace and good will, but they mow down ships like grass. No hail to get them to surrender, every last crew member on every enemy ship decides to be a martyr and die.

And we're ostensibly the good guys, but every enemy fights until death (or "unconsciousness"). No common heroic tropes are utilized in the mechanics. Its just a set of attacks, enemies lose health, drop down and fade away. Same as practically every other MMO everywhere.

I know it's hard for folks who only play MMO's to imagine, but games can do MORE than keep track of health bars and track attacks. To not take the last few steps and introduce small animations that actually differentiate the results of your action from every other combat system in every other MMO is just an example of pure laziness.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Furthermore that wouldn't be lethal because the suggestion is that henchmen wouldn't deal damage to health, they deal it to energy.

So basically, it would be as if every single henchman had ARGENT's Taser and Neutrolizer Grenades as their only attacks, meaning that players would be forced to use only their energy builder against them - and against every higher enemy that might be with them!

On one hand, you are suggesting to lift the limit of power color choices for silvers, on the other you suggest giving the weakest enemies the ability to prevent players from using most of their powers while taking away their ability to kill players. This is about the most unbalanced concept for a combat system I have fortunately never seen in an MMO!
    You are willing to trade a lesser evil for a greater one; the possibility to lose in battle for the disability to use powers freely.
  • pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Hi, qwizard. :smile:

I'm not big with numbers, so I picked those of your suggestions, because I feel that I can actually comment on them.

3. While I never felt the need for a Nemesis system at a lower level - it should be expanded in quality first - I can see the benefits. What I dont understand or encourage is the notion that existing villains and storylines should be scrapped in favor of custom ones. This game has a great IP and I'd be a pity to throw away the chance of introducing more of this IP to the general public.

8. Again, I get your point, but I disagree. You say hero and point at Superman, I say hero and point at the Punisher. And you have to admit: Right now both options of dealing with criminals can be represented by the animations. They could fall to the floor unconscious because a tights-wearing brick knocked them over, or they could fall to the ground dead because a gun-toting vigilante put a bullet in their skull. If they'd 'surrender', the heros who are killing by concept would be missing out.

9. I suppose this is more of a presentation problem, cause I'd guess very few people actually imagine their hero dying if their HP go to zero. Most will just assume that he got knocked unconscious and continue fighting (even though I know a few people including me who have at least one undead character who'd just die and resurrect himself, so meh :biggrin:). A cutscene like you proposed would be nice, but admittedly unnessecary and probably stall gameplay.

(One personal question: Guessing from the Questions 1,8,9 you're into the classical invulnerable, superstrong tights-and-cape-hero? If no, ignore this bit. If yes, think about the grim antiheros whose powers are nothing but guns and a bad attitude too :smile:)
  • elfringselfrings Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is the only drastic overhaul the game needs. It would solve nearly every (valid) issue on the list:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2160541#
    `

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I know this is surprising, but new players don't see all that amazing content. They just see an arbitrary limitation that makes their character look goofy. This does not endear the game to new players, and attracting new players is the whole reason a game goes free to play.

Whether or not someone sees the content doesnt make a decision to only give away 90% of the product (and as much as 99%) "spiteful".

I am laying this suggestion out there, because on top of having limited power selection, where the first 20 levels of the game they will only see about 5-6 powers, they have be content with a color palette entirely contrary to the character they created.

I don't, and didn't, deny that people would likely want color customization. That doesnt make it spiteful to not give it to them for free along with as much as 99% of the rest of the game.

It is spiteful because it looks like they had to go to extra effort to deprive players of this customization option. The selection system was already there, they just had to leave it be and implement archetypes. Instead, they looked at this minor, tiny, insignificant feature(that nevertheless subtly defines a character visually) and took it out completely. It might have been a good idea to calm the anger from the subscribers present when the game went free to play, but it does more damage to new players impression of the game, and their impression of its developers.

Perhaps you don't understand what spiteful means, because withholding a tiny fraction of your game in order to maintain some small degree of additional value for subscribing may be have been a bad business decision, but it is certainly not spiteful. Personally I think that powr colorization should be a relatively inexpensive option in the C-Store. The basic concept of the hybrid/FtP model is about buying your game experience ala carte rather than as a package deal.

And are you really paying for a subscription just to color your powers?

I am subscribed for two things, to have one freeform character and to color his powers. Anything else is gravy, and is generally not used. Hmmm, I suppose that I have gotten alot of use out of the PTS as well, but I didnt even know it existed at the time I decided to play CO so it was not a factor in the decision.

Is that really what people think they are getting from a subscription? I mean, Gold has been demonstrated to be a lot cheaper than buying everything gold members get from the store, both time-wise and in many cases money-wise.

Certainly, if you want the entire package subbing is less expensive than playing as a Silver and buying everything as microtransactions. That is pretty much assumed in any hybrid game.

You don't need to worry, nobody can get anything from the C-Store without buying Zen/cp. All the cryptic points on the exchange had to be bought first. Nothing is free, and if a silver player gets enough cryptic points from the exchange to get a Freeform character slot, rest assured that Cryptic was compensated and the game supported.

Okay, you're kind of split there. Let me clarify because I think people aren't getting me on this point. #6 and #7 are about selecting a slotted passive during level up/training. At the same time, selecting a similar role during the selection of their slotted passive.

I don't mean that a tank could then switch to melee. The step would always be between their MAIN role, such as tank or melee, and the generic role, Hybrid. And the Hybrid classes wouldn't need a secondary role, they can already use either slotted passive without changing roles. Let me reiterate, this all takes place during training.

This has a lot of advantages. Players who find they are too squishy can choose to customize their character for more staying power. It lets characters who find it takes half an hour to get through three guys a chance to increase firepower. It lets players make this choice without having to delete their character and select a new archetype. It gives players a meaningful choice, and gives them a small taste of the choices that Gold players get to make. It makes the roles more clearly apparent, their effect on the character and why archetypes are built the way they are. How weaker some of their specialized abilities are when in the generic role versus their specialized role.

I still prefer the idea of just giving every AT the choice between an offensive and defensive passive (with support characters choosing between support and defensive passives). I dont feel that just a role change is sufficient to address the concern. If you mean allowing AT's to select their passive from two options and choose their role as well...I agree. I do think that the passive option should replace one of the existing power selection choices in AT's rather than adding it as a third point of selection.

It's a problem of contrasting themes and mechanics. Good games have the mechanics support the theme. Bad games make them entire separate to the detriment of both.
    It's the same problem that Star Trek Online has, where the Federation is all about peace and good will, but they mow down ships like grass. No hail to get them to surrender, every last crew member on every enemy ship decides to be a martyr and die.

And we're ostensibly the good guys, but every enemy fights until death (or "unconsciousness"). No common heroic tropes are utilized in the mechanics. Its just a set of attacks, enemies lose health, drop down and fade away. Same as practically every other MMO everywhere.

I agree that CO follows MMO tropes rather than superhero tropes entirely too often. I just dont think that this particular matter is all that big of a deal. Purely a matter of opinion.

I know it's hard for folks who only play MMO's to imagine, but games can do MORE than keep track of health bars and track attacks. To not take the last few steps and introduce small animations that actually differentiate the results of your action from every other combat system in every other MMO is just an example of pure laziness.

Ive been playing Champions (PnP) for over 25 years now. I only started MMOs with Guild Wars at the end of 2005 (technically I got the game at Chritmas of '05 and played with the character creator, but didnt actually start playing the game in earnest until early '06). Since many people, including Arena Net, don't consider GW to be a true MMO I guess that means that I didnt start playing MMOs until a few months before CO launched (when I tried COH in order to get a sense of Cryptic as developers to help me decide whether or not to play CO).

CO does involve more than just tracking health and attacks. We engage in missions to protect people (many escort missions), we save civilians from a burning building (and put out the fire), we disable bombs, we remove dangerous pollutants from areas, and so on. Sure there is a lot of combat in CO. It is the most common activity in game. But that is not at all inappropriate considering the genre.

I disagree with your point about laziness. Failing to include something is not laziness in situations where finite resources and very tight budgets are the driving forces behind almost every decision. Ultimately Cryptic ran out of time. They had already pushed CO's release back once, and were not going to be allowed by their cash starved parent company, Atari, to do so again.

Ive a couple of friends in the industry and I have seen how many hours they work, particularly leading up to a launch. Laziness from people working as much as 16 hour days ? Hardly.

No, what you are seeing in the absence of an animation that you may be the only person who has requested over the last three years, isnt laziness, its a decision to spend the money and dev time on something else that was considered more important. It sucks when something that is important to you is not considered so by someone else, but that doesn't make them lazy.

Now, for all I know I am wrong and devs such as Ame that I have seen interacting with players on the forums and in game to get power changes just right for stretches of as much as 18 hours straight are lazy....but you have a lot of convincing to do to convince me of it as he is not alone of CO's development team in that sort of effort/dedication.

Responses above.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Not that I intend to poke the OP's stigmata...
    Silver players that aren't playing a tank or support archetype end up dead disproportionately often.

This tends to happen for one of three reasons: 1. You're playing a support role that's not supposed to be out front taking the bosses head on.

2. You're not very good at compensating for your ATs built in weaknesses. This can be as simple as buying some heals, or as costly as buying some good mods.

3. You grew so accustomed to the one click kills of your freeform minmax glory build that you forgot ATs have to work for it.

I do think a couple of your ideas are good. But for the most part you're providing game solutions for player problems, not game problems.