test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whatever happened to "Aura" slots?

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
I remember sometime one of the devs saying they were working on that or something. Just asking.
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well I think Splosions still wants to put them in but as of now they're on the backburner.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There is no front burner. All development is on backburner to Neverwinter.
  • bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »

I've played this game for a year and it seems like Champions is ALWAYS on the backburner.
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bdragon4co wrote: »
    I've played this game for a year and it seems like Champions is ALWAYS on the backburner.

They really need to focus on CO more,it has a larger playerbase and I would bet more people would like it than neverwinter.
  • astaziaastazia Posts: 51
    edited July 2012
    I know right, I mean it's not like they just redesigned/balanced the entire game from the ground up just a couple months ago, which would be a stupidly huge amount of work which an ignored game like this would never see. :rolleyes:

I can't believe some of you can parrot that crap with a straight face, this game is updated more often with bigger patches than most MMOs I've played. It's not dead, it's not ignored, it's not on the backburner. WoW hasn't had a single content patch of any kind in over 7 months.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This game has been updated with features, not content. The last actual content added was Whiteout. Before that was Aftershock and before that is Resistance.

When WoW gets content added, its in the form of a whole new zone with features. And it gets it every year or so. Champions got its last zone update with Vibora Bay.
  • youganyougan Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    WoW is also a fully P2P game with a professional team behind it......not that it's a fun game but the numbers don't lie...
    edited July 2012
    yougan wrote: »
    WoW is also a fully P2P game with a professional team behind it......not that it's a fun game but the numbers don't lie...

Lol.

But seriously, professional is key. Also having a full team helps too. Kind of a major reason why we still don't have aura slots and just more reused costumes pieces with aura attached. Another reason why we desperately need a tailor overhaul.
    edited July 2012
    This game has been updated with features, not content. The last actual content added was Whiteout. Before that was Aftershock and before that is Resistance.

So what are all these alert thingies? We just got a content patch last week.
    When WoW gets content added, its in the form of a whole new zone with features. And it gets it every year or so. Champions got its last zone update with Vibora Bay.

Ya and in WoW you have to pay $40 for those updates.
  • florghhhflorghhh Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    astazia wrote: »
    So what are all these alert thingies? We just got a content patch last week.

Ya and in WoW you have to pay $40 for those updates.

If you consider alerts to be content, then that's your mistake.

You knew those new villain contest winners? their feature is just adding them to the alerts.

So, all the Day at the mall, dockside dustup and raditation rumbles etc have a new villain version.

it's exactly the same, just has variety in the villains.

I don't know how anyone can consider replacing Villain A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S/T/U/V/W/X/Y with Villain Z is actually adding more content.

I really don't get some people are okay with it either, i got tired of it in the first week of "on alert", i don't even bother to farm it for questionite or anything except for costumes, and i give up after about 3 runs a day.

I want something that's actually brand new, now something that's recycled over and over and over again with just a different villain to fight
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    florghhh wrote: »

You knew those new villain contest winners? their feature is just adding them to the alerts.

So, all the Day at the mall, dockside dustup and raditation rumbles etc have a new villain version.

it's exactly the same, just has variety in the villains.

I don't know how anyone can consider replacing Villain A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R/S/T/U/V/W/X/Y with Villain Z is actually adding more content.

I really don't get some people are okay with it either, i got tired of it in the first week of "on alert", i don't even bother to farm it for questionite or anything except for costumes, and i give up after about 3 runs a day.

I want something that's actually brand new, now something that's recycled over and over and over again with just a different villain to fight

Uhh, maybe you read something weird, but we were told the contest winners would be added to the alerts. There wasn't any hidden fallacy going on.

Your entire argument is flawed, as you don't consider it content, but yet have not defined what you would consider actual content, and even if it was provided, I doubt you would be satisfied as most likely you would have plowed through it in the fist few days of it's release.

And sorry, but Alerts were brand new. You can huff and kick and scream there till you are blue in the face, but I doubt a whole new zone is going to appear over night. Not to mention, some rather large files were uploaded to test the other day that had nothing to do with Alerts.

And considering we were told it would be close to the end of the summer before we see any major new content, it's kind of pointless to kick and scream like a four year old acting like it will speed things up.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2012
    florghhh wrote: »

Wow. :rolleyes:

I'll take alerts any day over long annoying dungeons from other games that essentially amount to the same exact thing with a large timesink (trash) prefacing it. They give you the same thing every other MMO has as a content staple, remove the annoying part, and then you actually sit there and say it isn't content. Amazing.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    CoH Tip/Radio/Newspaper missions, but with higher system requirements.

This is what we've come to. :confused:
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    At least the gravitas alert is worth doing.

Til guild wars 2 releases.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Give us some *zones*, please. No one could argue that wasn't content.
  • zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »

It's a different team doing Neverwinter. Same thing with STO, different team.

Quit acting like Cryptic is a single person who can only do a single thing at a time. They have multiple employees. Some of them float between projects, but Cryptic has a dedicated staff, same as STO and NW. This nonsense always irks me. It's been present since the game came out and frankly, it's childish and ignorant. I bet you didn't even know that CO and STO were being developed side by side and were released only a few months apart. Did you? No, of course you didn't.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
    edited July 2012
    It's a different team doing Neverwinter. Same thing with STO, different team.

Quit acting like Cryptic is a single person who can only do a single thing at a time. They have multiple employees. Some of them float between projects, but Cryptic has a dedicated staff, same as STO and NW. This nonsense always irks me. It's been present since the game came out and frankly, it's childish and ignorant. I bet you didn't even know that CO and STO were being developed side by side and were released only a few months apart. Did you? No, of course you didn't.

Then why did they stop talking about the comic series?

You know, the one they said they had put 2 groups to work on beside eachother?

Did those people just disappear? I doubt it.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited July 2012
    Then why did they stop talking about the comic series?

You know, the one they said they had put 2 groups to work on beside eachother?

Did those people just disappear? I doubt it.

Did it occur to you that they were the ones who did the massive, sweeping changes we had recently with the On Alert patch? Or that they're working on new zones for CO? There's been talk on the grape vine about a new city zone. Also, vehicle travel powers (or maybe devices, they didn't say which) and whatnot... There's a lot happening in CO, a lot coming up in the future. It takes time. Just because CO has a dedicated team doesn't mean they have enough people to dedicate to everything they want to do with CO at the same time.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
    edited July 2012
    Did it occur to you that they were the ones who did the massive, sweeping changes we had recently with the On Alert patch? Or that they're working on new zones for CO? There's been talk on the grape vine about a new city zone. Also, vehicle travel powers (or maybe devices, they didn't say which) and whatnot... There's a lot happening in CO, a lot coming up in the future. It takes time. Just because CO has a dedicated team doesn't mean they have enough people to dedicate to everything they want to do with CO at the same time.

We've been through this before.

They get one more quarter, and if they go "surprise, guys! Comic series cancelled lolol" then it will be clear.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, given that the folks here on the forums, the most vocal fragment of the playerbase, greeted the advent of Comic Series with widespread cries of, "This sucks! This isn't really content! We want the Moon! And Japan! And...", one wonders why they should bother making any more of the CS content. They've been hearing that we don't want it.

Mind you, I for one do want it; I am but a lone voice crying in the wilderness, however.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you really really want there to be more content... try investing some money in the company. No, not buying a subscription... I mean calling them up and saying you want to invest in the company.

Sitting on the forums telling them you want more content is like telling your dog that you think the city should build a dog park.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    If you really really want there to be more content... try investing some money in the company. No, not buying a subscription... I mean calling them up and saying you want to invest in the company.

Sitting on the forums telling them you want more content is like telling your dog that you think the city should build a dog park.
    I tell my dog that all the time! Then he points out that we don't actually live in a city.

Then the meds kick in, and I stop hearing dogs talking...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited July 2012
    We've been through this before.

They get one more quarter, and if they go "surprise, guys! Comic series cancelled lolol" then it will be clear.

How do you get from "comic series canceled" to "nobody is working on Champions, every last hand has been diverted to Neverwinter"?

Do you expect me to believe that no development happened on Neverwinter while they were overhauling everything for the On Alert patch?
    smoochan wrote: »

Just as fallacious an argument as ever Smoosan.

Giving the analogy you gave is like telling a pineapple that it should work out more in the gym.

Wait, my analogy doesn't make sense? Exactly!

The forums are a place where the Devs are able to get the opinion of the players. I don't know how you arrived at the devs being akin to dogs, or that talking where the devs listen in is somehow an ineffective means of communicating with them...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Mind you, I for one do want it; I am but a lone voice crying in the wilderness, however.

Hardly, look through my post history. About once or twice a month on average I keep asking for Zone content, comic series, adventure packs, etc. New places to go and explore.

Alerts are ok, but more akin to a Blood Moon event battle than a campaign with a plotline or an open-world area to explore like a Zone.

The game needs it too. It's financially smart as it's great for old or new players alike, and breathes some new life into the game in a way the April "On Alert" patch never could. It's win-win, as long as it's done right from an environmental art standpoint.

Speaking of which, major props for the old areas in Zones that got rework (Westside, Radiation Flats, Teleios's Tower, Burial Caves, etc).

So yeah they are working. And if you want them to make content. Get a job, make some income, and then make it clear YOU WILL PAY MONEY for new explorable ("where", not just "what") places type of content.

As far as the topic this quote came from specifically (aura slots), Splosions never gave up on that, as far as I know. But he's not in charge (unless something changed just recently).

Believe it or not developers don't always get to do what they would like to, frequently in fact. It's frustrating, I've been there recently and it's no wonder they loath to come on the forums and see all the negativity (even if deserved in some respects).

Developers are people too ya know. They got to make money to live, food to eat, bills & loans to pay, bosses to appease, and a finite amount of time.

Think about that before y'all start a shouting match at each other over what content is defined as and if your point is the right one everybody needs to hear.
    edited July 2012
    My original point is that now that we have Alerts out, when do we get new areas and unique missions to explore?

Queen City mission chain was a surprising start and we need more of that. I approve cramming more content in already existing zones if it can be done in a week or so.

Hideouts were nice but soon after release it was obviously doomed to fail as soon as a snag was hit preventing those extra rooms opening up. The dev who did Hideouts permanently moving to STO as the last nail in that coffin.

New Earth and Infernal costume aura pieces were a pleasant sign along with the short term goal of adding aura slots mentioned by Robobo, but never followed up on. Not even an announcement of abandoning the project, even temporarily.

Alert is a side attraction feature like dueling or PvP matches. Anything added to expand Alert scenarios should be considered cut and paste and not new content from here on out.

Aura customization beyond mere slots and implementing it into the tailor as a "free to place wherever on top of the normal outfit" option would be a testament to Cryptic's potential and just one of the possible places to start on making due.

ANYTHING that expands the game's customization and game play would give Cryptic mad props. And this includes features that is "quick fix" free.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My original point is that now that we have Alerts out, when do we get new areas and unique missions to explore? Queen City mission chain was a surprising start and we need more of that. Alert is a side attraction feature like dueling or PvPing in games. Anything added to expand Alert scenarios should be considered cut and paste and not new content from here on out.

Last statement we had was that a new city zone and level cap raise would be more or less towards the end of the year.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2012
    If they really are doing a cap increase then they have probably diverted a lot of map/quest designers to creating new leveling content.
    edited July 2012
    How do you get from "comic series canceled" to "nobody is working on Champions, every last hand has been diverted to Neverwinter"?

You'll have to cite me saying the latter before I'll bother engaging you on the former.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited July 2012
    You'll have to cite me saying the latter before I'll bother engaging you on the former.

In which case, Brou, you seem to be missing the context. When you initially responded to me, I was responding to someone who was insinuating that there are no staff working on City of Heroes at all. They said that all the devs are tied up working on Neverwinter.

Do try to keep up :P

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Last statement we had on ...MISC. TOPIC... was ...*INSERT STATEMENT HERE*...
    Yeah, and those worked out soooo well :tongue:
    I think we can just take those with a grain of salt dontchathink? :rolleyes:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In which case, Brou, you seem to be missing the context. When you initially responded to me, I was responding to someone who was insinuating that there are no staff working on City of Heroes at all. They said that all the devs are tied up working on Neverwinter.

City of heroes just got a new issue with a new zone, 20 hours of mission content, 4 new powersets being tested, a revamp of an entire AT underway, and all ranged blast sets in the process of being rebalanced. There is definately people working on that game...

Oh wait, you meant Champions Online, didn't you?

Nevermind.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012

We are talking about Champions Online here.

Sorry couldnt resist. Totally understood your point, and have made the same mistake myself. No offense intended.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.